Japanese Sweet Carrots

Hamburger
2007/12/19 16:16:18
I'm looking for a recipe for the carrots served at Japanese restaurants. They are tender and sweet. Maybe the carrots are cooked in sweetened water?? If anyone knows how they make them, Please post!!! Thanks so much for helping me out!! :) :) :) :)

beewright@roadrunner.com
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
RE: Japanese Sweet Carrots 2007/12/19 18:04:18
Barbarainnc - are you looking for a carrot pickle recipe? if the carrots you're talking about are crunchy (uncooked), just cut them into matchsticks and marinate in seasoned rice vinegar with a splash of toasted sesame oil for an hour or so...(more if you like them more pickled)...hope this is what you are looking for...
(i'm crazy about the pickled carrots, daikon radish and shallots i get at the vietnamese restaurant - just as simple to make, no sesame oil!)
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Japanese Sweet Carrots 2007/12/19 18:13:54
Here's a carrot salad I make that you might want to try. Just make sure not to use those bagged baby carrots.

CARROT-SESAME SALAD

1 Tbsp. Sesame seeds
6 large carrots, peeled
2 Tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt.

Toast seeds, stirring, in small skillet over medium-low heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Shred carrots into bowl. Add seeds and remaining ingredients. Stir to mix. Refrigerate. Serves 4.