English Dishes

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2007/12/28 10:48:45
I have traveled extensively in the UK and was first introduced to the Ploughman's Lunch in a small pub outside of Loudwater. It was an adventure in good eating. From there I went on to try every dish I could get my hands on. From the humble Steak and Kidney pie to the Sunday Roast a a Beefeaters in Portsmouth.
moneypenny
Junior Burger
RE: English Dishes 2007/12/28 11:21:19
http://www.apbw.mistral.co.uk/index.html#scrote
brisketboy
RE: English Dishes 2007/12/28 11:35:19
Moneypenny, thank you for that website. We have been looking for a placethat has a decentrecipe for Yorkshire puddings. My wife has thrown up her handsin frustration. Thanx again.
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
RE: English Dishes 2007/12/29 17:55:09
Tips for making decent Yorkshire pudding.... you MUST make sure the oven & fat you're going to cook it in is HOT. Otherwise you will get flabby slabs of un- or semi risen pud ! Best plan is to cook it right at the very end whilst you are resting the meat - that way you can put the tray(s) in the top of the oven at a high heat without overcooking the roast. I personally prefer a big trayful rather then the little cup sized individual puddings but do experiment - that's a totally subjective view and based on what I used to enjoy as a child :)

Old Scrotes site is indeed excellent, down to earth, good fun and the recipes actually work. Another more celebby but still very functional source of decent Brit recipes is Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall - his cookbooks are wonderful or try the website http://www.rivercottage.net/
RibRater
RE: English Dishes 2007/12/29 18:05:35
quote:
Originally posted by MissKitty

Tips for making decent Yorkshire pudding.... you MUST make sure the oven & fat you're going to cook it in is HOT. Otherwise you will get flabby slabs of un- or semi risen pud !

I made a tray of this a few days ago to go with a roast. The out edges were nice but the center was soft and gelatinous. Clearly not hot enough heh? That was my first attempt in a pan vs cups.