A Great Panini

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6080
  • Reward points : 0
A Great Panini - Wed, 01/2/08 4:20 PM
Travelers to Italy have known about Panini's for decades,the great grilled sandwiches from Italy. They are now being found all across America. Got me to thinking..can we share our favorite Paninis. What are your recipies out there...what bread..what ingredients. Let's share.I like crusty Italian bread cut thin, chicken breast, provolone and sun-dried tomatoes.
leethebard

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: A Great Panini - Fri, 01/4/08 11:37 AM
I have been working my way through Simple Italian Sandwiches, by Jennifer and Jason Denton, the owners of 'Ino, in NYC.

I made a panino using a ciabatta with the crown cut off, split in half, with hot mustard, prosciutto cotto (cooked prosciutto), baby arugula leaves and sliced fresh mozzarella. It was quite good.

Obviously, substitutions could be made. I went out of my way to find the prosciutto cotto, but even Publix has fresh mozz. of sorts, these days.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: A Great Panini - Fri, 01/4/08 10:53 PM
With my George Forman I turn almost everything into a panini. My recent favorite uses english muffins, tomato, mozzarelle and a basil pestoor the one from just after xmas, we had left over dinner rolls, turkey and dressing added a slice of swiss and set George 2 work!

Navy_Brat913
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: A Great Panini - Tue, 01/22/08 4:38 PM
My favorite is a fresh italian or ciabatta roll, cut in half, piled with salami, ham and pepperoni as well as provolone cheese. Press all together, and then add red wine vinaigrette with olives, onion, lettuce and tomato. Pickles jalapeno optional.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6080
RE: A Great Panini - Tue, 01/22/08 4:43 PM
NavyBrat,
Now thet sounds like a keeper!
leethebard

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: A Great Panini - Tue, 01/22/08 4:48 PM
A long time ago I read somewhere here on Roadfood about sandwiches popular in France, I think it was, and I tried it, and it was very good. It would come under the heading of a panini, I think, in that it was pressed so that all flavors melded. It was just vegetables (onions, tomatoes, lettuce, whatever, with salad dressing, possibly Italian or oil and vinegar), on buns then wrapped tightly and pressed and left for several hours or however long one wishes. These were popular as lunches and were available readily on the streets. Sorry I can't be more specific but I did try it at the time, and the results were good. Just good vegetables with dressing on good buns, pressed (not heated) and used in place of burgers or other sandwiches. Wish I could remember exactly so I could better describe them to you all. They had a name. This was about 10 years ago that I read about them so you can see my memory isn't exactly sharp.

Donna

Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: A Great Panini - Tue, 01/22/08 5:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

I have been working my way through Simple Italian Sandwiches, by Jennifer and Jason Denton, the owners of 'Ino, in NYC.

I made a panino using a ciabatta with the crown cut off, split in half, with hot mustard, prosciutto cotto (cooked prosciutto), baby arugula leaves and sliced fresh mozzarella. It was quite good.

Obviously, substitutions could be made. I went out of my way to find the prosciutto cotto, but even Publix has fresh mozz. of sorts, these days.

Thank you, Miami Don, for using the correct word, namely, Panino!

Unfortunately, restaurants and appliance makers have made most of the American public into unwitting dunces in their usage of Italian. When someone says "I would like a panini" that person is actually saying, "I would like a sandwiches". Now doesn't that sound silly?

And, for those who say that they have enjoyed several paninis (sic), they are using a double plural, in effect. So, for those whose Italian is rudimentary--One grilled sandwich is a panino. If you are referring to more than one, then the term is panini.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3663
RE: A Great Panini - Tue, 01/22/08 5:13 PM
Now this is interesting I wonder if the maker of my Paninni machine will give me a refund for calling it the wrong thing?

What is worse, is that I have never seen it called by the right name on any menu.