Restaurants in Cincinnati

Hamburger
2003/09/16 12:55:03
I will be in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area for 3 days the end of September. Any suggestions other than whats already listed on this site would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I've never been to Cincinnati before!
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2003/09/16 14:36:21
Well, I know you asked for ones that aren't listed on this site, but if you've never been to Cincinnati before, the best place to go and sample a three way and a couple of coneys for the first time really is Camp Washington. I have been to several different places and I think that it is by far the best.

If you are looking for something other than chili, there is a good roadfood type place near the river that serves Italian food called Campenello's.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2003/09/28 00:52:43
Gotta agree, Camp Washington is the place to go.

Where are you staying at? What part of town?

MikeS.
wardtn
Junior Burger
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2003/10/22 17:08:52
I agree! Sorry I didn't read this earlier. Camp Washington is the best of the Cinn. chili parlors I have been to. But I like my home brew better. And I got my recipie from the Stearns, from an article they had in Delta's Sky Magazine a few years ago.

Everyone who tries it loves it. A little secret, use Bullseye BBQ sauce. It has a great flavor.

I have a standing demand from my neighbors to make it every year at our annual chili cookout on Halloween. Guess I better get ready...
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2003/10/26 13:00:31
As a Cincinnati resident (30+ years now), let me point you in the direction of Blue Ash Chili instead. Check out the Stern's review on Blue Ash Chili on this site.
ericm
Junior Burger
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2003/10/28 23:03:39
You might want to give Gourmet Chili a try as well. Contrary to the name, it is a little dive in Newport, KY across the river. IMHO, it beats all the single locations and chains.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2003/10/28 23:44:24
Greasewheel,
Yeah, I know September has come and gone - but this applies to anyone else to whom it applies and when it applies. If ya go to Zinzinnatti, ya gotta try some goetta for breakfast. If you like scrapple, it beats it all hollow. (I prefer livermush myself, as if y'all didn't know.)
My favorite chili place (other than Camp Washington) is Park Chili on Hamilton Avenue - if it's still there. If I'm still here enough to remember how to get back there again!
Thinking Of U. S. 127 (Which Runs Right By The Door), Ort. Carlton, Stuck For The Time Being In Lovely Athens, Georgia.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2004/04/06 02:16:22
I'm sure this topic was long since thought dead, but I thought I'd leave my Cincy Chili impressions for future generations.

1. Chili Time in St. Bernard makes a flavorful 3-way and if you're lucky you'll find a pepper in with your chili. Excellent.

2. The Chili Company (various locations) serves a Slaw Dog (cheese coney topped with slaw) which is odd, but also oddly good. They also have a Slaw Way (3-way topped with slaw) and supposedly a 3-way omlette for the breakfast crowd.

3. Pleasant Ridge Chili has a standard menu, but is worth the trip for the different taste.

4. Dixie Chili across the river in Newport, Erlanger, Covington and Independence is the chili I grew up on. It's changed in the years since, and not for the better. Dixie still has a great taste, but the texture leaves something to be desired. They currently serve a SIX-way, which is chili, spaghetti, cheese, onion, beans and fresh garlic. WOW! I've never tried it because it came along too late for my internal organs to have the youthful bent necessary to withstand the assault, but I'd love to give it a try just once.

5. Price Hill Chili is a lot like Pleasant Ridge Chili, but on a different hill. A standard menu, but an interesting take on the Cincy namesake.

6. Skyline Chili is my current favorite because I like the greek salad alongside my 3-way. They're everywhere, and make a great baseline for future experiments.

7. Gold Star Chili is my daughter's favorite, but she hates chili. Okay in a pinch, but you can do better.

8. Empress Chili is what people hate about Cincinnati Chili. It's bland, watery and the servings aren't up to snuff. One redeeming feature is that the store in Wilder, KY occasionally serves a Chili Lasagna that I've never tried, but I have made it at home with canned chili. Great idea.

9. Camp Washington Chili was one of the best, but I have yet to try it in the new store. The old place was a classic Cincy Chili parlor, but it got chewed up when they widened the street it was located on. I haven't been anywhere close to it for years.

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting, but these are the first nine that come to mind. I've worked third shift for 18 years and have visited many of these in the hours after midnight. Eating chili after midnight gives one a great deal of insight to the product. (IMHO)
lobster4me
Junior Burger
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2004/08/22 10:17:32
There is a very good restaurant called Montgomery Inn. Its on the river in Cincinnati. I highly recommend it.
jraphs
Junior Burger
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2004/08/31 14:10:01
Montgomery Inn Boathouse would be the spot for ribs. I really loved the chili at Zip's. It's on Mt. Lookout. Zip's is a bar and definitely best known for their delicious burgers, but I also really liked the chili.
carlton pierre
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2004/11/15 17:06:57
quote:
Originally posted by golf43

There is a very good restaurant called Montgomery Inn. Its on the river in Cincinnati. I highly recommend it.

Wow, is the Montgomery Inn not in Montgomery any longer?, or is this just another location?

carl reitz
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2004/11/16 08:51:38
quote:
Originally posted by golf43
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre
Wow, is the Montgomery Inn not in Montgomery any longer?, or is this just another location?
They have 3 locations.

The original is in Montgomery, where it has always been, and it has been expanded considerably.

The second is the Boathouse, which is just east of downtown on the river. IMHO, this is the fanciest of the three.

The third is in Ft Mitchell. I have never been to this one.

They had another location at Beechmont and I-275, but it burned down in 1996 and was never rebuilt. A Tony Roma's was built on the site a few years back.
carlton pierre
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2004/11/16 09:16:40
Is it The Montgomery Inn that used to fly ribs to Bob Hope?

carl reitz
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2004/11/16 09:23:29
Yep, thats the one
rwschemquest
Hamburger
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2004/11/21 10:03:48
Three words... BLUE ASH CHILI
Banshee
Junior Burger
RE: Restaurants in Cincinnati 2005/08/29 16:35:43
I agree that Zipp's has the best chili ... although if you are looking for Cincinnati style chili, nothing beats a Skyline 3-Way!