Anyone remember Red Barn?

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 160
Breed
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 11:19 AM
I lived in Cleveland Heights, OH as a little kid and remember visiting a Red Barn restaurant there. This would be the late 70's. Anyone remember a Red Barn there or have any idea what happened to this chain?

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 11:46 AM
Funny that you should mention that. Red Barn came up in a recent thread on long lost regional chains (which you can find by going to the Message Boards and checking under Miscellaneous.) We didn't revolve much in terms of its fate, but a few memories were shared -- the primary one being that it looked like a red barn. Quite a scintillating discussion...

We had a Red Barn where I grew up. I don't remember much about it, other than thinking it was a cut above McD's and BK.

KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 11:57 AM
There was a Red Barn in Elgin, Illinois during the late '60s-early 70s. I grew up thinking that it was solely a fried chicken place, because that's all my mom ever bought for us there. After it went out of business, somebody bought the building and kind of added on to it and turned it into a "family restaurant".

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 1:00 PM
I grew up with a Red Barn in Boulder, CO. They had a hamburger called the Barn Buster -- it seems kind of like it was an alternative Big Mac kind of burger. As a kid, seemed as big as a hubcap, too.

I miss them.

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 1:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

I grew up with a Red Barn in Boulder, CO. They had a hamburger called the Barn Buster -- it seems kind of like it was an alternative Big Mac kind of burger. As a kid, seemed as big as a hubcap, too.

I miss them.
Although I didn't "grow" up with the R B in Boulder, I spent mucho dinero there at the one on Pearl (?) right down from the Liquor Mart. This was in 1969-72. They used to have a promotion giving out large coke glasses if you ate a Barn Buster. I think I still have 2 or 3.

Grizzly
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 1:21 PM
I grew up in Council Bluffs, IA, which is across the Missouri River from Omaha. There was a Red Barn across the street from my high school when I was in grade school. It closed in the early 80s. I remember going their once and having my first Onion Rings. That's funny, hadn't thought about that in years.

Barry
Denver

doris
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 1:38 PM
I am origanlly from Kenosha, WI. My sister worked ther in the summer of 1977! They also had great fish sandwhiches, and chicken. She used to bring the leftover chicken home after she got off work. We used to wait up for her!!

Pwingsx
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 2:16 PM
Oneiron, that's the RB I'm talking about. I graduated from Boulder High in 1977, and we had an open campus, so we wandered down there for lunch, and also when we'd cut classes. We missed out on having the Pearl Street Mall by a few years. No regrets though, I still don't go down there if I can help it. Traffic in Boulder is RIDICULOUS.

Oneiron339
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 2:57 PM
Pwing, my roommate at CU and I at the time used to go to the liquor mart, load up for the weekend, stop at RB and take everything back to 1310 Folsom St and commiserate. Since we were from the East, we were probably homesick. I used to tend bar at the Viking on 28th, and he at the Flagstaff Inn. We ate some real good french dips at the Roman Arches, ticoritos at Ticos, and outstanding prime rib at the Red Lion up the canyon. Good memories.

capnhank
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 3:29 PM
We had them all over the SF Bay Area in the 70s. Huge, sloppy burgers the size of frisbees with lots of mayo, if I recall correctly. Today, only the buildings remain. The El Cerrito location was a coffee shop when I was in high school and the Berkeley one was Middle Eastern or Indian or something. In San Jose, we've got one that's still serving burgers under the name "Burger Barn" and one that's a decent greasy Chinese joint.
It's always interesting to see what they make out of architecturally original restaurants. We've got a lot of Chinese food coming out of what were once obviously Taco Bells around here. As I mentioned in another thread, we've got a former Der Weinerschnitzel that sells truck bed liners or some such accessory. The latest abomination is a former Dennys/Carrows restaurant that is becoming a Star Cellular outlet with a Starbucks attached (!!!??). Ugh!

RockyB
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 4:51 PM
When I was in school in Minneapolis, there was a Red Barn on Lake Street. I liked the burgers, and if I remember correctly they also had fried chicken that was pretty good. I also remember a Red Barn on the main drag in Corning, New York.

Julia I
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 7:06 PM
There used to be a Red Barn a block away from my high school in Milwaukee. It was quite a hang out. We were still talking about it fondly at our 30th reunion last summer.

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 10:04 PM
Wow, yes, I remember Red Barn near downtown Cleveland in the mid 70s. I always had chicken from there. I was never turned on by the farmer-barn motif, but it was an interesting gimmick. Pass the red bandanna!

emmymom
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 09/17/03 10:18 PM
There was a Red Barn up the hill and across the road from my high school, too -- but this was in State College, Pennsylvania. We used to sneak out of school sometimes for a burger instead of school lunch. They were pretty good, as I recall -- but in those days I probably liked McDonald's too; Red Barn was just more accessible. So many of us remember them being near our high schools -- I wonder if that was done deliberately, as a marketing strategy?

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Thu, 09/18/03 12:11 AM
I used to go to that Red Barn on Atherton in State College when I went to Penn State in '74-'78. I miss the burgers from there.

drpep
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 09/19/03 11:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by RockyB

I also remember a Red Barn on the main drag in Corning, New York.

It is still there painted blue and the home of Pudgies Pizza.

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 09/19/03 5:30 PM
The Red Barn in Cortland, New York was converted to a Jreck (dreck) Sub shop....pity.

wallhd
  • Total Posts : 416
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 09/19/03 8:01 PM
Let's see, I think that their advertising jingle used to go something like this: "...When hunger hits....hit the Red Barn...."

Unitl the late 70's there was a Red Barn on Williston Road in South Burlington, VT. Can't really remember ever eating there though.

Wally
Plattsburgh, NY

Wistah
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 09/19/03 8:07 PM
There was a Red Barn near my High School in Michigan - it closed probably about 1981. I remember the burgers (Barnbuster??) and the fried chicken - that's what made them different in that era - they had both.

It also brings back memories of the little pies actually being FRIED rather than BAKED. I think that even McD's used to do that in those days.

TreyM
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Mon, 09/22/03 11:22 AM
Red Barn.... WOW. That was my first job at age 16. WHEN THE HUNGER HITS, WHEN THE HUNGER HITS.... HEAD FOR RED BARN. We had the Barn Buster (Big Mac) and the Big Barney (like Whopper), and fried chicken. Worked at the one on 90th & Penn Ave. S. in Bloomington MN. They were all over Minneapolis.

cooper
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Mon, 09/22/03 12:06 PM
Hello:

There was one also located in Rochester, New York. Food was quite good. Eventually closed and replacae by a restaurant called Ricky G's. Didn't last too long. Eventually buidling was torn down and a new McDonalds was built on this site.

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Mon, 09/22/03 1:20 PM
I used to frequent a Red Barn on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul, Minnesota during my time at Macalester College from 1972-1976. In what was undoubtedly a more trusting time, they took personal checks. This was fortunate for me, since I often found myself hungry and without cash late at night, after my bank had closed (this was, of course, well before ATMs).

Sot
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 10/3/03 11:26 AM
I remember a Red Barn in Stadium Village near the Minneapolis campus of the U. of Minn. in the early 70's. They wanted to build anothe one on the other end of the campus, an area known as Dinkytown. There was a vacant lot in Dinkytown which had been "remodeled" into a sort of park or peacenick garden. Red Barn bought the lot with intent to build the restaurant. There was an outcry by self-righteous, campus loudmouths who organized a boycot of the other Red Barn. That boycot eventually drove that one out of business.

The whole thing proves how much power consumers have. I came to this sight today because I have always wondered if that event drove the whole chain out of business.

LibraryLady
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Tue, 10/7/03 8:50 PM
I actually worked in a Red Barn on Hampton Road in St. Louis for a couple of years in high school. They had the "Big Barney (like a Big Mac) and the Barnbuster (like a quarter pounder or whopper) hamburgers. You could also get chicken...usually a "Barnfull" was the family size order.

I was online trying to find a picture of a Red Barn Restaurant for a project I'm doing for some Special Ed kids at my school when I stumbled across these posts.

I remember my assistant manager sneaking out the back to smoke a joint on his break. The store's manager was a real pervert...always coming on the the high school girls. He was ancient (probably in his 40's), but to us that was OLD!

LibraryLady
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Tue, 10/7/03 8:53 PM
Oops....sorry for the typo...."He was always coming ON to the high school girls..." He wasn't that much of a pervert!

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Tue, 10/7/03 9:23 PM
Dearfolk,
I remember a non-chain Red Barn Restaurant on U. S. 41/441 (on the west side of the junction) about three miles south of Lake City, Florida. It was operated by Leo & Hazel Law. The place closed circa 1963. It was a roadfood landmark for my folks and me for several years: we never had anything there that wasn't top-notch. I still remember their motto as "More and better food - costs no more." Sigh.
Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Misses Tony's Restaurant, Which Had The Best Cup Of Coffee In Athens. Resigh.

Pwingsx
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Tue, 10/7/03 10:31 PM
Hey oneiron339, what were the Roman Arches? Sounds vaguely familiar, but all I can recall is Roman Village.

Linguist
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 11/19/03 5:02 PM
I worked at a Red Barn in Troy, NY (at the corner of Hoosick and 17th) in 1981. It was just around the block from my house, and when we were little my mom would send us four kids down there with a five dollar bill and we could all eat dinner.

The jingle wasn't "When the hunger hits..." it was "When the HUNGRIES hit..." because their mascots were three animated characters, the "Hamburger Hungry" (who looked kinda like Ernie from Sesame Street because he was a guy whose head was a giant burger), the "Chicken Hungry" who was shaped like a chicken drumstick, and the "Fish Hungry" who was shaped like a blue fish.

The thing I remember most was that it was probably the first chain to experiment with the "Fixin's bar." My best friend and I used to have lunch there every day during the summer of 1978 (we were 13) and when you ordered a burger it came plain, and you could add your own ketchup, lettuce, whatever, from a bar. I remember how much I hated cleaning that thing.

I also remember that every chicken was cut into 9 parts "two legs, two thighs, two wings, two breasts, and a 'keel'" which was the best part because it was a lump of white meat about the size of your fist with only one small flat bone about the size of your little finger running along one side.

It closed sometime after 1983, and the building is now a Popeye's Fried Chicken store.

Julia I
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 11/19/03 11:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Linguist

The jingle wasn't "When the hunger hits..." it was "When the HUNGRIES hit..." because their mascots were three animated characters, the "Hamburger Hungry" (who looked kinda like Ernie from Sesame Street because he was a guy whose head was a giant burger), the "Chicken Hungry" who was shaped like a chicken drumstick, and the "Fish Hungry" who was shaped like a blue fish.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, that sure brings the memories flooding back. We used to love to eat there! Unfortunately, the one near my house was torn down back around 1975 to make room for a Walgreens parking lot, which is still there today. Definitely not an improvement.

Pwingsx
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 11/19/03 11:44 PM
This thread is driving me nuts. I think I had my last Barn Buster shortly after high school graduation (in '77 in Boulder), and when I remember that hamburger, my mouth just waters. There is NOTHING like what those used to taste like.

Of course, back then, Big Macs and Quarter Pounders tasted significantly different, and they were wunderbar as well.

Fast Food has deteriorated SERIOUSLY since the late seventies. I truly believe that.

Oneiron339
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Thu, 11/20/03 7:34 AM
quote:

Hey oneiron339, what were the Roman Arches? Sounds vaguely familiar, but all I can recall is Roman Village.

The Roman Arches was an Italian/American restaurant just south of 30th on Arapahoe next to the golf course. (I'm yalking 1970's). They had the best french dip sandwiches and gorgonzola salad dressing. We used to play golf and go there to drink, eat and settle up the golf bets. Sometimes we would argue and walk across the parking lot back on the golf course and play another hole to settle a bet (after a few pops).

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Thu, 11/20/03 8:23 AM
quote:

This thread is driving me nuts. I think I had my last Barn Buster shortly after high school graduation (in '77 in Boulder), and when I remember that hamburger, my mouth just waters. There is NOTHING like what those used to taste like.

Of course, back then, Big Macs and Quarter Pounders tasted significantly different, and they were wunderbar as well.

Fast Food has deteriorated SERIOUSLY since the late seventies. I truly believe that.

I wonder if the fast food is so different, or if its our taste buds (and tastes) that have changed over the years. I know that as a child and teenager, I loved McDonalds, and then later, Burger King and other fast food fare, but as my tastes became more sophisticated, I began to realize that I could make a better burger at home than I could get at any fast food joint, and that I could find better food at any number of other places. I think that part of it was that, as a teenager, I had a much larger appetite than I do now, and when you're really hungry, almost anything tastes good.

CareCare7
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Tue, 12/2/03 8:47 PM
I wanted to know if anyone remembers the Christmas album Red Barn was giving (or selling) that was called "Red Barn Christmas"? It had a mixture of songs, both vocals and instrumentals. Away in the Manger, Happy Holidays, Good King Wenceslaus, and many more songs were on it. My Dad had the album, I made a tape of it but I would love to have the original album to transfer to CD. Anyone out there have it?

capnhank
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Thu, 12/4/03 5:10 PM
I haven't seen the album, but you can get this timely artifact on Ebay:

Barnbuster
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sun, 12/7/03 5:16 PM
I never thought I would see the day that people are talking about the RED BARN 30 years after the chain shut down. My parents were on the ground floor of the RED BARN System, and I have saved a ton of items from the RED BARN. My friends have told me many times to post a site with my items, but I wonder who would look at it? SOOO the link below will take you to the only known site of The RED BARN fast food chain. Over the next few weeks I will post everything that will fit on my server, from give aways to corp. papers and even blue prints.

NEW UPDATES AS OF 12/16/03
http://barnbuster.homestead.com/index.html

vinelady
  • Total Posts : 162
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sat, 12/20/03 1:39 PM
I believe that there is still a red Barn in Seattle. I will have to double check.

Barnbuster
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sat, 12/20/03 7:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by vinelady

I believe that there is still a red Barn in Seattle. I will have to double check.

I wish it were true!!
There are now 100's of restaurants called the "Red Barn". But in 1986 any use of the Red Barn System fast food chain trade name, or trademarks, ie: Barnbuster, Big Barney, The Hungries etc. was not allowed, nor any cups or paper items were to be produced or used.
Some were renamed "The Farm". I know my family's restaurants were sold after the name was changed to "The Farm" in 1989.

xtracheez
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sun, 12/21/03 12:48 PM
That is quite a coincidence! I was telling my wife about the Red Barn the other day. There was a Red Barn in Winchester, VA and the building is still standing, which is now a Domino's Pizza. I don't recall there being any other RB's in the south? I loved the Barnbuster Burger. My grandfather and I went there all the time.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sun, 12/21/03 1:25 PM
Huh... Now I'm starting to wonder if the Red Barn located on 28th street here in Grand Rapids Michigan used to be a restraunt? It's red, looks like a barn... But they dont serve food there... Just naked ladies and peep shows from what I'm told... Anyone local know?

capnhank
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Mon, 12/22/03 1:22 PM
Gee, Uncle Vic, maybe we should do a little "official" research...
Do they have a lunch buffet?

Barnbuster
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 12/24/03 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Barnbuster

I never thought I would see the day that people are talking about the RED BARN 30 years after the chain shut down. My parents were on the ground floor of the RED BARN System, and I have saved a ton of items from the RED BARN. My friends have told me many times to post a site with my items, but I wonder who would look at it? SOOO the link below will take you to the only known site of The RED BARN fast food chain. Over the next few weeks I will post everything that will fit on my server, from give aways to corp. papers and even blue prints.

NEW UPDATES AS OF 12/30/03
http://barnbuster.homestead.com/index.html[/quote

As many of you requested, I have found and posted the 'Hungries Song' on my Red Barn site. I have sent copies to many of you, and if anyone else wants a personal copy (I don't know why!), please contact me via my web site at: http://barnbuster.homestead.com/index.html
Or e-mail me: cornute@att.net
I have also posted lobby photos from the 70's, these are a real hoot! Merry Christmas!

DMWorrel
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sun, 12/28/03 6:43 AM

Hi Everyone. I found this forum doing a search for Red Barn and registered. I worked in/at 3-4 Red Barns in the Youngstown area. My father managed 5-6 non-franchise Red Barns and our family was there at the close of many of them. I believe the facts are as follows. The chain was started in the early 60s in Youngstown by a man named Harry Barmier. I think it was called The Red Barn System. It was sold/sponsored in the late 60s by a company called Servomation(food vending) and became Red Barn Restaurants. Red Barn was ready with a breakfast menu before the other FF chains, but held off. Red Barn was first with the Salad and Sunday Bars. Chicken was fried breaded and came as Snack 2, Dinner 3, Barnfull 9, Bucket 15 and Barrel 21(?). The chain had all the usual sandwiches, Big Barny (like the Mac) my favorite. A copywrite suit of sorts erupted over Hamberger Hungry so he changed a bit, added or removed the hat. The others were Chicken Hungry and Big Fish Hungry. The live person costume was only HH. The chain at its peak was on top of all the trends, includeig building styles as they started to look as they do today. At a point in time (mid 70s)the chain was holding steady, and with less promotion started its decline. The Red Barn chain was sold to Motel 6 and over time when leases ran out they were closed. Typically at 5:00 PM the store would be told to lock its doors. The last store in the Youngstown area, I believe, was in Niles. Some restaurants continued under changed names. I noticed the other day that now at one local site (Boardman) the building has been replaced. Hope this helped. Good food, no chicken like it.

DMWorrel (Grillman)

Barnbuster
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sun, 01/11/04 4:16 PM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for visiting my site. The chicken breading recipe was quite simple; flour, fine ground black and white pepper,salt and baking powder(or baking soda, don't know for sure)MSG. The key was pressure cooking. The old Red Barn cookers are long gone and were only made by one company in Ohio. The cooker was never reproduced as made in the 70's because the cleaning of this particular cooker took hours(newer units are easy to clean, so I hear), heavy pressure weights had to soak over night, overhead filters would clog and have to be cleaned, I know from personal experience! I know that there are home pressure frying units out there, but I have not found one that I think would do the job. As for who made the breading, Bulk ingredients were trucked into one location(don't know where), and then packaged by Servomation Corp. the company that owned the Red Barn system, at that time ingredients did not have to be listed, so the breading came in a plain white Red Barn chicken breading 20 lb.bag with the Red Barn logo. As for the restaurants, the last lease for the Red Barn franchise ran out in or about 1986, after that there were no more licensed products, cups, paper item etc. made. This is probably more then you wanted to know, but I hope you get a kick out of it!
http://barnbuster.homestead.com/

heff
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Mon, 01/12/04 4:00 PM
In the late '70's, my elementary school class had a field trip to the Red Barn off of rte 1 in Northern VA. We got to see how the whole operation worked. Part of the deal was a burger, fries and a drink, which I remember didn't impress me much. McDonalds had already gotten their claws into me. I'd always lumped Red Barn in with the other burger places back then, Burger Chef both long gone and Genos (which had a distribution deal with KFC, later it became Roy Rogers). I had no idea it was nationwide.

Pepper Breath
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 01/16/04 6:11 PM
I went to Tech school in Kenosha, WI in '68-'69 and used to get chicken at a Red Barn that was there, but i don't remember the address. Do remember the chicken was better than anyone else's at the time.

Pepper Breath
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 01/16/04 6:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

quote:

I wonder if the fast food is so different, or if its our taste buds (and tastes) that have changed over the years. I know that as a child and teenager, I loved McDonalds, and then later, Burger King and other fast food fare, but as my tastes became more sophisticated, I began to realize that I could make a better burger at home than I could get at any fast food joint, and that I could find better food at any number of other places. I think that part of it was that, as a teenager, I had a much larger appetite than I do now, and when you're really hungry, almost anything tastes good.

I think fast food has changed drastically from what it was 35-40 yrs ago. I remember the Whopper as being much bigger and tastier than what it is now. With the explosion of F/F and the automation of agriculture to economize production to keep up to specific Chains, taste and quality (I do think there was quality in some of the bigger chains at the outset)have really been left in the feedlot, brooderhouse, and field. Mass production does not a quality meal make!

Pwingsx
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 01/23/04 2:53 PM
Does anybody have an approximation of a recipe for the Barn Buster? And I don't mean something just like a Big Mac, I know it was similar, but they weren't the same.

I would love some help here, please please please.

Barnbuster
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sun, 01/25/04 10:49 AM
quote:

Does anybody have an approximation of a recipe for the Barn Buster? And I don't mean something just like a Big Mac, I know it was similar, but they weren't the same.

I would love some help here, please please please.

1/4 pound hamburger, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and special sauce (KRAFT mild tarter sauce, same used on Big Barney).

Barnbuster
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sat, 03/6/04 3:37 PM
Hello all,

First I would like to thank the 1400+ Roadfooders that have logged on to the Red Barn site.
I can not believe the e-mails and photos that are in my mail box every day.
To make things better the Red Barn site is now: www.barnbuster.net please make a note.
I will be doubling the size of the site in April to make room for all the Road Food member's
pictures, mostly of what the Red Barn buildings look like now. I would love for members to send me photos of Red Barn buildings that are now different business (I see one is a strip join now). Again, thank you all for your letters, pictures and stories.

Rich

ahmicchick
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Mon, 03/8/04 10:10 AM
Hey, just saw this Red Barn thread and it brought back long-forgotten memories. There used to be a Red Barn in Toronto at the corner of Warden and St. Clair (I think). My parents, for some reason, didn't go there, but our neighbours did, and it was such a treat when I got invited to go along with them! Loved their burgers and fries.

anselmo1
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Tue, 03/9/04 11:04 PM
We had Red Barn in locations all over Western New York in the late 1960's until the late 1970's. The best Red Barn was on Main Street in Batavia, New York where everyone and I mean everyone hung out. You would drive down Main Street pull into the Red Barn parking lot that went around the building to the otherside. See who was there and drive back onto Main Street and continue your journey if you didn't see someone that you knew. Usually, everyone went to see a guy by the nickname of YO YO that was a urban legend in Batavia that hung out there.

The food was good especially the Barn Buster! Everyone in the summer had a convertible or a Super Bee and all the cars would tune their radios to the same station. It was an evening concert eating burgers and listening to Hush by Deep Purple, Tighten Up by Archie Bell and the Drells and Gimme One More Chance by Wilmer & the Dukes etc.

Doctor Z
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 03/12/04 4:58 PM
I remember the Red Barn! It was my first "real" job when I was in High School here in Minneapolis, MN. I first started in 1977, and stayed with the place until it went out of business in 1982. I still have a couple of shirts that I was supposed to return but didn't. I worked back on the grill where I made Hamburgers, Cheesburgers, Big Barneys, Barn Busters, Chicken, Fish, and Apple Pies. An interesting fact about the Big Barney; Red Barn invented the double-decker sandwich in 1964, and McDonalds didn't have Big Macs until 1968. Unfortunately since McDonalds was much bigger, guess who had to get rid of their double-decker sandwich?
When I worked at Red Barn, hamburgers were 35¢, and cheeseburgers 10¢ more. Big Barneys were 99¢, and I believe Barn Busters, the ¼-pounders, were $1.09.
Our chicken was deep fried like KFC's but our pieces were bigger. I remember being told to "drop a run of chicken" in the pressure cooker which consisted of 36 pieces. We had to drop the chicken in a certain order too, because the dark meat cooked slower than the white meat. That is how I learned the anotamy of a chicken. The drop order was: Thighs, legs, keels, wings, breasts. It took 10 minutes to cook, then had to be laid out on a large metal tray in a certain order before being placed in the "Warmer."
We also had a salad bar in the lobby, which wasn't very good in my opinion. The lettuce was usually wilted. The building was shaped like a barn and colored red, but our uniforms were pea green. The girls up front got to wear red scarfs though. We had commercials on TV where they asked you if you had the "Hamburger Hungries."
In the mid-1960's we made our own french fries from scratch. They were awarded the Best Fries of any Fast Food place! Red Barn was head-quartered in Florida, and most restaurants you went to were privately owned franchises. Some of the old Red Barns around here are still standing but have been converted to Taco Bell's or Arby's. One became a used car dealer.
About 10 years ago there was a classified ad in a local newspaper which read, "Remember the Red Barn?" It was a call for a Red Barn reunion party. I went and was the only representative from my store, but I got to meet a lot of fellow employees from other local stores around. They even had old 8mm movies and tons of pictures from our Red Barn days. I wore one of my old uniforms and got a lot of flack from the former managers about not turning them in when I quit. Found out one of our former employees now lives in Austrailia!
Well that's all for now....

Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Mon, 04/19/04 6:27 AM
I believe there is what's left of a Red Barn in the Cincinnati Over The Rhine area. I remember eating there once as a very young kid when we were visiting my grandfather. I think it was a cleaner the last time I passed and IIRC, it once housed an auto parts store. This is all pretty iffy. I know they existed around here but like I said, I was really young at the time.

BakersBoy
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sat, 05/1/04 11:07 AM
Once upon a time there was a Red Barn in Dunkirk, N.Y. on Lake Shore Drive. It was the first fast food restaurant in Dunkirk. We had "Your Host" but that was a local sit down restaurant. What was cool about the Red Barn was that during my junior high school years(Before 1968)we had an hour and a half for lunch and we could leave the school if we wanted. Well when the lunch bell rang we would run down to the Red Barn for lunch. The "Big Barney", the "Barnbuster" and the fries. I think of them still. But what I really remember is the chicken. The smaller servings came in a box that was shaped as a barn with the chicken and fries inside.

The Red Barn building still exists in Dunkirk. It is now a very successful pizza place. But nothing will replace the Red Barn. " When the hungries hit, hit the Red Barn".

BB

gcy6122
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Sun, 05/30/04 5:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I used to go to that Red Barn on Atherton in State College when I went to Penn State in '74-'78. I miss the burgers from there.

I went to Penn State in the late 1960's. The red barn was diagonally across from my apartement building on S. Atherton St. (Rt. 322, a major highway.) It was an adventure getting across the street to eat there. Their fries were crinkle cut, not straight like the other places. I may be wrong, but I believe that they played some sort of country music in the restaurant (not a popular genre in a college town then.) I think that there was also ared barn in Harrisburg, PA, also on or near Rt. 322, on the way to State College.

LatinPupE
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Tue, 06/8/04 4:18 PM
Woah! I can't believe the number of people who remember Red Barn. I did a search for it on the internet about 6 months ago and couldn't get any information on why it closed. I loved that place when I was little. But I thought it was just a chain in the San Francisco Bay Area! I remember the mascots, Chicken Hungry, Hamburger Hungry and Big Fish Hungry. I remember their jingle too, ...When the hungries hit, when the hungries hit, ...hit the Red Barn! I even remember that they had a record once. There were several Red Barns all with the marqui and the sun in the corner. One other thing I remember is that they used to sell glasses from the King World Syndicate cartoon, Popeye, ...I had a Bluto, Popeye and a Ruffhouse glass. Bet if I would have kept them, I could sell them for a bundle!

ukcats1993
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Fri, 06/11/04 8:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Breed

I lived in Cleveland Heights, OH as a little kid and remember visiting a Red Barn restaurant there. This would be the late 70's. Anyone remember a Red Barn there or have any idea what happened to this chain?

Back in the late 60's early 70's We had a Red Barn in Owensboro Kentucky. We live out in the country & make a run into town once a week for grocery's every week. My Grand Mother just had to do the Red Barn every week. I also have fond memory's of it my self.. & yes it was Barn shaped & red..
It was a big hit in our town & I wondered why it closed down..

linus
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Mon, 07/5/04 8:20 AM
there was a red barn on the west side of cleve. in the seventies. i went to school with the owner's daughter, and we went there often. the burgers were outstanding. don't know what became of it tho. seems to me that they were best known for the chicken dinners. they were on a main drag, and always really busy, can't imagine they were closed due to lack of business. mc d's and bk were going strong back then, so that probably didn't have anthing to do with them closing either. ?? it was unusual in that you could get a wide range of food, chicken dinner, burger, fish, etc, in a fast food format.it was kinda like if you combined kfc with a burger joint.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Wed, 07/14/04 9:49 AM
There was a Red Barn featured on Roker on the Road last night. It is located in Ghent, NY.

Pwingsx
RE: Anyone remember Red Barn? - Thu, 07/15/04 1:27 AM
I saw that too. I'm afraid it's not part of the original chain. I think it was a stand-alone.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 160