Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant

High Springs Gator
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points : 0
Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Sun, 01/6/08 12:34 PM
The Cuban sandwiches that I have eaten at the Columbia Restaraunt in Saint Augustine Fl are some of the best I have eaten. I prefer my Cuban sandwich pressed, but you can have it cold.

Ingredients

10-inch loaf of Cuban bread
4 thin slices smoked ham
2 thin slices fresh pork ham
2 slices Genoa salami, cut in half
2 slices Swiss cheese
3 sour pickle slices (may also use dill)
Yellow mustard

Preparation

Slice bread down middle lengthwise. Layer ingredients to cover bottom half of bread in the following order: ham, pork, salami, cheese, and pickles. Spread mustard on top half of bread. cover bottom half and slice sandwich diagonally. Sandwich may be heated in oven or served at room temperature. If Cuban bread is not available, you may use French bread (baguette type) or Italian bread. (taste even better if pressed)

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/st_augustine.asp

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2625
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Sun, 01/6/08 12:38 PM
I love that one also. We've had it at the St. Armand's Circle branch. La Teresita outside the Tampa airport makes a fine one also.

High Springs Gator
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Sun, 01/6/08 12:47 PM
I try to eat at the Columbia Restaraunt each time I visit Saint Augustine. I have never had a bad meal there. The prices are reasonable, the service is good, and I like the atmosphere. The Chicken and Rice is to die for.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Sun, 01/6/08 12:47 PM
Looks great.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Sun, 01/6/08 12:59 PM
Looks great, although the salami would get you funny looks in Little Havana.

Frankman
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Sun, 01/6/08 1:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by High Springs Gator

The Cuban sandwiches that I have eaten at the Columbia Restaraunt in Saint Augustine Fl are some of the best I have eaten. I prefer my Cuban sandwich pressed, but you can have it cold.

I have only eaten at the Tampa restaurant, but on and off from the late 60's.
Used to live in St. Pete in the 80's and would go with my brother for the 1905 salad, black bean soup, and cuban sandwiches. I have had almost all the menu choices at one time or another. Except the whole fish. There's just something that wierds me out about looking at it. Every time the relatives came down we had to make time to go see the "Mouse" and eat at the "Columbia". Then a short half block walk for some fresh rolled cigars.
And yes, I too prefer my cuban sandwich pressed.
Thanks for the memories.

High Springs Gator
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Sun, 01/6/08 2:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

Looks great, although the salami would get you funny looks in Little Havana.

From the 3 guy's in Miami website

Raúl: In Tampa, they add Genoa salami to their Cuban sandwiches! That is something you won't find on a Cuban sandwich anywhere else!

Jorge: Only in Tampa!

Glenn: In the early days of Ybor City, where the Cuban sandwich was popularized, the only ethnic group as numerous as the Cubans were the Italians. So it's understandable that there was a little blending of the two cultures, at least when it came to Genoa Salami on a Cuban sandwich.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Sun, 01/6/08 5:12 PM
Holy Moly, I thought all Cuban sandwiches had Genoa Salami. Must be the Italian in me.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3661
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Sun, 01/6/08 8:02 PM
I agree that a true Cuban sandwich does not have salami in it.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Mon, 01/7/08 5:58 AM
I ate at the Columbia restaurant in Orlando. The manager comped me a Cuban sandwich and it was very good. I do not recall it having salami on it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Mon, 01/7/08 8:45 PM
Since you are talking about Florida Cubans.....Robertos in Cocoa Beach on A1A makes a great one, and their media noche's cant be beat either.
And I come from the land of Cubans in Florida.. Miami!
Pressed and HOT is the only way to go.. unless you are drunk at 2 AM, and leftover's (if there are any), are calling your name...

roossy90
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Mon, 01/7/08 8:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

I agree that a true Cuban sandwich does not have salami in it.

THEY DONT!..yucka... then make me an italian sub instead if your gonna trash a good sandwich with genoa or any kind of salami!

High Springs Gator
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Tue, 01/8/08 2:59 PM
According to 3 guys from Miami the best cuban sandwices are made here

http://3guysfrommiami.com/cubansandwich.html

Frankman
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Tue, 01/8/08 3:23 PM
If you don't have a sandwich press, you can wrap a clean brick in tin foil and place it on top of the sandwich on a cookie sheet.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Tue, 01/8/08 3:38 PM
quote:

They like their own sandwiches? I guess that says something. I want the pork on it not sliced like the ham but in big juicy chunks. Mmmmhmmmm

roossy90
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Tue, 01/8/08 7:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

quote:

They like their own sandwiches? I guess that says something. I want the pork on it not sliced like the ham but in big juicy chunks. Mmmmhmmmm

Traditional Cuban's are sliced pork....

MiamiDon
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Wed, 01/9/08 8:34 AM
quote:

I get mine to-go from one of the Latin American Cafeteria branches. I find them to be very good. They take pride in making them - it is not just a sideline, like some places.

RC51Mike
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Wed, 01/9/08 8:35 AM
I suspect the Cuban is evolving with other cultural influences, e.g. salami. It sounds as though its authenticity may end up in knock down fights like hoagies/subs. (Mayo on a hoagie? Are you insane?) I've had a variety of "Cubans" in the Philadelphia area almost all made with French or Italian bread or ciabatta. All are pretty tasty but I recently had real Cubans in Miami Beach and must say it ain't a Cuban unless it is pressed and made with Cuban bread. That is a world of difference in my neophyte opinion. In addition to proper pork, that thin wafer-like crust when pressed makes it unique to using other breads. Well, that was my epiphany anyway...

russ2304
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Tue, 01/22/08 12:32 PM
Strange as it may seem probably one of the best Cuban sandwiches can be found ,of all places,at Sloppy Joe's in Key West.And Laurio's in Miami is incredible.

20 years married to a Cubana who knows----------

Russ

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Tue, 01/22/08 1:44 PM
My BF and I just got back from sailing the Keys, on our way back we had an accidental stayover in Kissimee. We found a restaurant called "Mambo" in a very small strip mall. When we walked in we thought: "Whoa, a little fancy. We just want a Cuban sandwich." We were greeted by a petite waitress who spoke little english but we felt we communicated to her well enough as to what we wanted to eat. We both ordered Cuban's pressed and a side order each of black beans and rice. We were the only two in the place and we hoped we made a good decision. As I scanned the walls I noticed they had several awards and newspaper write ups about their food. Soon our waitress arrived again, food in hand. As we ate(still the only two people)she sat quietly at a far table occasionaly asking how everything was. It was GREAT! My BF asked her if she was the only one there(no other staff in site), no her Mother was there. Her Mother was the cook and a fine one at that.

Now I have a question. Some cubans I've had have a mayo/mustard(mixed together)combination on them, some mustard only. We have one place here "Mi Apa Latin Cafe'" that puts neither, they looked at us if we were nuts when we asked for it. Is there a tradition?

MiamiDon
RE: Cuban sandwich Columbia Restaurant - Wed, 01/23/08 8:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

My BF and I just got back from sailing the Keys, on our way back we had an accidental stayover in Kissimee. We found a restaurant called "Mambo" in a very small strip mall. When we walked in we thought: "Whoa, a little fancy. We just want a Cuban sandwich." We were greeted by a petite waitress who spoke little english but we felt we communicated to her well enough as to what we wanted to eat. We both ordered Cuban's pressed and a side order each of black beans and rice. We were the only two in the place and we hoped we made a good decision. As I scanned the walls I noticed they had several awards and newspaper write ups about their food. Soon our waitress arrived again, food in hand. As we ate(still the only two people)she sat quietly at a far table occasionaly asking how everything was. It was GREAT! My BF asked her if she was the only one there(no other staff in site), no her Mother was there. Her Mother was the cook and a fine one at that.

Now I have a question. Some cubans I've had have a mayo/mustard(mixed together)combination on them, some mustard only. We have one place here "Mi Apa Latin Cafe'" that puts neither, they looked at us if we were nuts when we asked for it. Is there a tradition?

Miami Cuban (mixto) sandwiches, made in Miami, for Cuban-Americans, tend to be with mustard.

Give it another generation, and we will probably find them with Miracle Whip.