New Jersey Hamburgers...where?

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 60 of 245
leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
  • Reward points : 0
New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Fri, 01/11/08 6:04 PM
Hi...
On another thread we proudly talk of the superiority of JERSEY hot dogs...but we in New Jersey have some pretty mean hamburger joints...How about it Jersey people...what's your favorite Jersey hamburger?
leethebard

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sat, 01/12/08 11:41 AM
My favorite is Dairy King, between Salem and Bridgeton, on Hwy. 49. A long-time roadfood place with the belly buster burger.

DPuro329
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sat, 01/12/08 9:17 PM
Some great NJ burgers are at
The Cloverleaf Tavern on Bloomfield Ave in Caldwell,
The Porch on Route 71 in Spring Lake Heights
I know it's a chain but I like Fuddruckers
I can't think of any others right now.

Dave

John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2313
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sat, 01/12/08 9:59 PM
Gaffer's Pub in West Orange. Antone's in Cranford, Martini Bar in Millburn, Cloverleaf, White Rose, and although it's a chain and criticized often, I love Five Guys Burgers.

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sat, 01/12/08 11:30 PM
Good Topic! I hope some day it gets as long as the Hot Dog thread.

My favorite NJ Burger is at the Schuyler Diner, on Schuyler Ave. in Lyndhurst. Old school diner, the burger knocked me out, but I thought maybe it was just the fact that it was with some friends after a night of, um, bouncing around. I went there a 2nd time a few months later, this time with my daughter in the light of day, and it was just as good. ---Ken

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sun, 01/13/08 11:24 AM
Are there any attributes that would make a burger a "Jersey" style burger? A slice of Taylor Ham maybe? or is a burger in NJ just as juicy and wonderful as a burger in any other state? I think that hot dogs can be more regional whether it's NJ or Chicago or whatever or within NJ such as Texas Weiner, deep fried, Italian, etc.
Just my $.02 and I probably owe some change

Dave

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sun, 01/13/08 11:39 AM
The Iron Horse in Westwood,NJ makes a nice burger. They put the cheese on the inside.

sodawater43
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sun, 01/13/08 12:08 PM
At the top of the list is White Manna in Hackensack.

foobuc
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Mon, 01/14/08 5:57 AM
Frankie's in Point Pleasant(though i have not been there in a year or so) and also the Stagehouse Tavern in Scotch Plains

mikez629
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 01/15/08 1:45 PM
5 guys -in Hackensack-great burgers/fries and hotdogs-that is all they do.I am there at least 2x's a week.

leethebard
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 01/15/08 2:29 PM
5 guys is a franchise...are they all the same quality...there's one here in Brick
leethebard

eatingteam
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 01/15/08 2:46 PM
4 I really like

Doo Wop Diner in Wildwood, NJ - Boardwalk

Jimmies on the Delaware in Phillipsburg, NJ - Thunderburger (hamburger, Bacon,Porkroll)

Rossi's in Chambersburg, NJ our site actually has this burger as the best we have tried to date...

Larry's Bar in Millville, NJ actually serves from time to time a bacon cheeseburger soup along with a cheeseburger hoagie Remember when in there- no cursing or you will be asked to leave.

Tony

mikez629
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 01/15/08 2:59 PM
WHITE MANNA IS THE MECCA OF JERSEY BURGERS!-that says it all!

mikez629
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 01/15/08 5:50 PM
Have you been to Jackson Hole diner-big burgers-almost steamed-huge patty and they place a dome over the burger and it steams-not much flavor but is is big.

eatingteam
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 01/15/08 8:38 PM
One of our members swears by Jackson Hole. We actually had it as a sit down at the end of our Long Island Diner tour but ran out of time. It is a place that is definatley on our list to tackle.

Tony

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 01/16/08 7:39 PM
Tony,
I was at Jimmy's on the Delaware today and had a cheeseburger. It was pretty good, not the best I've ever had but definitely good.

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 01/16/08 8:04 PM
FWIW, Night and Day Magazine published the results of their readers poll for Monmouth County (They also have an Ocean County edition, but I didn't pick it up yet). The top 10 burgers in Monmouth County according to their readers are...
1. The Porch, Spring Lake Heights
2. Bar A, Belmar
3. Connolly Station, Belmar
4. The Windmill, Multiple Locations
5. Barnicle Bill's, (not sure of location)
6. Scooter's, Howell
7. Chaser's, Keansburg
8. The Boathouse, Belmar
9. O'Neills, Manasquan
10. Mulligans, Farmingdale

I have a feeling that the results coincide with advertising revenue for the magazine. But I can vouch for number 1, their burgers are excellent

Dave

eatingteam
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 01/16/08 8:07 PM
They have a lot of good stuff there. Boardwalk fries, Fiesta Dogs is one of my all time favorite Hot Dogs and of course as stated big fan of the THUNDERBURGER. I still think Rossi's in CHambersburg, NJ is absolutley the best burger I have had to date. Allthough I will admit Burgers are not our forte. We like them on the team there are just not that many places that truly make an effort with the burger anymore.

Tony

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 01/16/08 10:32 PM
<<5. Barnicle Bill's, (not sure of location)

Barnacle Bill's is in Rumson, by the water. I was going to post it as one of my favorites too, but my wife reminded me that the last time we were there, about a year ago, it wasn't as good as in our previous visits.

Great place tho, cozy noisy small bar and dining area, free peanuts, shells on the floor, capable servers.

But....It's always crowded, with a wait. We've gone at like 3 PM on a Saturday and still had at least a 15 minute wait.

Some of the local super rich folk go there, we've spotted Geraldo Rivera and John Valentin, both of whom live or lived in the area, if you want to call those celebrities. Not that that's a recommendation to go there, I just thought I'd mention it. ---Ken

John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2313
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Fri, 01/18/08 8:29 AM
Ken,

Barnacle Bill's in Rumson was my favorite, but like you, my last time there it wasn't as good. Shortly after, I had a burger at Antone's in Cranford that was better. Anotone's is a great place for a burger and beer. Over 40 imports and microbrews on tap.

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Fri, 01/18/08 10:07 AM
White Manna, Hackensack, end of story.

Actually, the White Rose system in Highland Park must garner an honorable mention. There is also another diner, simply called "Mana" in Jersey City, on Tonnele Ave, which is rt 1 and 9. For years the owners have been engaged in attempting to sell the land parcel, however, I was last there about 8 years ago, and this place too is one of the very best hamburgers in NJ.

Finally, for something a little more refined, Jackson Hole in Englewood has a great bleu cheeseburger.

dick smith
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Fri, 01/18/08 10:47 AM
Tumulty's in new brunswick, a landmark for 40 years
10 oz burger, great rare or medium, juicy. 8.00, comes with a wedge of salad and potato. great date bar
Murphy's, neshanic station, grilled but very good, with mushrooms and onions, old style bar atmosphere, worth the drive 5.00

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Fri, 01/18/08 9:30 PM
Re: Antone's. Thanks John, yes I've been there for beers several times. I think I only ate there once, several years ago with my wife. She never wanted to go back because of the smoke level, but now that that's over with maybe I'll suggest that we go there for a burger. --Ken

njkim
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sat, 01/19/08 3:04 PM
Even though it is a chain, I do like Fuddruckers,once in a blue moon. Great burgers at the Marlton Diner, and a local place here in South Jersey called Ott's. There is nothing like an awesome burger!!

kim

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sun, 01/20/08 12:19 AM
I also like the Windmill; not saying it should be named the #1 NJ burger, but it does have a nice "backyard bbq" charcoaled taste; burger could be a drop thicker for the price. As it's smaller than a whopper.

I'll occasionally go to the one on Rt 9 in Howell township, NJ area (south of Freehold)
Another one is in Brick, NJ.

I , too , have read mixed reviews about the Barnacle Bill's. Plus , I don't like the fact that it's served on a kaiser roll. I'll just take my sesame seed bun, please.

Always on the lookout for good burger places, so keep the posts coming!!!!

JakerDog
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sat, 01/26/08 8:33 PM
One memorable burger was at the Mason Jar, right off Rte 17 in...Mahwah, Ramapo....someting like that, way up there before you leave NJ and hit NY 287. It was really very good and just about everyone was having one when I was there.

Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1872
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sun, 01/27/08 10:33 AM
Hello all,

Stopped by the white Manna last week for the first time . Close proximitiy to Rt. #4 .
Great burger , the best I've had in a long time .
Small place , cant believe they put a Mcy D's across the street .

Benzee

mikez629
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 01/30/08 4:37 PM
Has anybody eaten at Noah's ark in Teaneck-a Bergen county Magazine listed Iron Horse/and Noah's best Hamburger.I have eaten Iron Horse befor (good)-but thinking of heading to Noah's.

mikez629
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 01/30/08 4:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JakerDog

One memorable burger was at the Mason Jar, right off Rte 17 in...Mahwah, Ramapo....someting like that, way up there before you leave NJ and hit NY 287. It was really very good and just about everyone was having one when I was there.

Mason Jar is really good burger/ok BBQ-good fries (steak fries-you don't get them very often

tommyeats
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 01/30/08 5:31 PM
jersey is a big place, but some of my favorites include:

the porterhouse in montvale
Copeland in morristown (although i've heard they've slid)
the mason jar is quite decent
the Park Steakhouse serves a good burger at the bar
Bacchus in fairfield has a pretty good steakhouse burger. i actually prefer their mini-burgers. ask to have them pull out some of the bun, though.

more places should have good burgers and don't than do.

Shara
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 01/30/08 5:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by eatingteam

4 I really like

Doo Wop Diner in Wildwood, NJ - Boardwalk

Jimmies on the Delaware in Phillipsburg, NJ - Thunderburger (hamburger, Bacon,Porkroll)

Rossi's in Chambersburg, NJ our site actually has this burger as the best we have tried to date...

Larry's Bar in Millville, NJ actually serves from time to time a bacon cheeseburger soup along with a cheeseburger hoagie Remember when in there- no cursing or you will be asked to leave.

Tony

I haven't lived in Trenton for years, but I grew up in Chambersburg. I can second Rossi's for probably the best Jersey burgers I've ever had. They use the freshest meat possible and grill up the biggest, juciest, tastiest burgers you can imagine--almost too much for one person. If you're anywhere nearby, there's no other choice.

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sat, 04/19/08 7:38 PM
I'm resurecting this thread because my wife and I took a day trip to the shore today and ate at The Porch in Spring Lake Heights, which was highly recommended in this thread.

Nicely remodeled place, but I was a little disappointed that they did not actually have a "porch" i.e outside area to eat, it was a beautiful day. I'm not sure why it is called The Porch.

Anyway, the burger was really great, excellent beefy charbroiled flavor, with good not great fries and a small side of very good coleslaw, listed on the menu at $7.99. But a few minor complaints.

For one, I don't recall ever being charged extra for onions (50 cents) and tomato (50 cents). I did not realize this until I got the bill, but my wife pointed out that the extras were listed by price on the menu. Still, I would much rather the price be listed at $8.99 and not charge extra for things like tomato and onion.

Two, my "pint" of beer (Yuengling) was not a pint at all. I know my beer glasses and this was a 12 ounce glass in the shape of a pint glass, not a 16 or 20 ounce pint glass. That was $4 (no price listed on the menu)which I think was overpriced for the size of the beer I got, and it should not be called a "pint".

Yes, I would go back, we liked our burgers very much, but I just do not like being nickel and dimed at a restaurant. --Ken

leethebard
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sun, 04/20/08 8:31 AM
I've seen the "pint" of beer thing in other places...it is annoying...I usually will say their pint is a "small pint" to make the point!!!It's almost a generic term today,not a unit of measure or a glass size..like ordering a "coke" with your burger and getting a Pepsi!

fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Mon, 04/21/08 1:05 PM
I love tumulty's in new brunswick and Cahoots in middlesex, nj. anyone ever had the burger at stage left in New brunswick? I know it won the best burger in New York a few years ago, but never have tried it

big g in joisey
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 04/22/08 12:03 AM
Hiram's in fort lee makes a very good burger as well as great hotdogs. Jackson hole in englewood makes a good burger,too bad about the schuyler diner, they've been closed for a few months now. Pete's Place in kearny used to make a great burger, they sold to dunkin donuts. Red Robin in clifton is pretty good as well as Fuddruckers throughout the state.

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 04/22/08 12:36 AM
The McDonald's across the street from the Manna has been there for quite some time.

The Iron Horse in Westwood has been selling burgers for maybe 60 years. They get fresh meat every day from the same supplier for at least 40 years. They hand patty their burgers and do them on a char-broiler. If you want cheese, they place in in the middle of the patty. But, they will place the cheese on top in the normal way if you ask them to. They serve them with fresh cut fries, a really good complementary slaw and a bowl of sour pickles. It's a good burger. Most people like them. You can usually see some of the pro football players eating there with their families.

Never heard of Noah's. Going to look it up on the Internet.

Big G - I LOVE HIRUM'S! Whenever I get a chance to get back to NJ..I'm there. Never had one of their hamburgers..Their hot dogs are too good to miss. I'm always reminding the Hot Dog King, John Fox, about Hirum's. I think it is better than Rutt's Hut.

tommyeats
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 04/22/08 9:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben They hand patty their burgers and do them on a char-broiler.

i've got a related question: what is a char-broiler? I mean to say, what does everyone think the device is when they hear the phrase "char-broiled burgers". And, is there a flavor associated with this device? If it's just a gas grill why not say so. Or if it's a broiler I why not just broiler? I suppose it's a way of discerning between a patty cooked on a flattop and a grilled or broiled patty.

I have to get back to the Iron Horse. I recall not liking the idea of cheese inside of the burger. If the cheese is in the middle of the burger, where do they put all of the cold raw beef???

Pub 101 in Bogota has a pretty good pub burger. I mentioned upthread that the Park Steakhouse also has a very good steakhouse-style burger. But make sure you tell them you don't want garlic butter on the bun, unless you like garlic butter on your bun.

californyguy
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 04/22/08 10:11 AM
pals cabin in west orange- big , juicy burger- wash it down with wolds best mushroom;though its a fancy place , it started as a hot dog stand & you can still sit and eat a a diner like counter

rezlesj
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 04/22/08 10:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dick smith

Tumulty's in new brunswick, a landmark for 40 years
10 oz burger, great rare or medium, juicy. 8.00, comes with a wedge of salad and potato. great date bar
Murphy's, neshanic station, grilled but very good, with mushrooms and onions, old style bar atmosphere, worth the drive 5.00

When I think of Tumulty's, I always think of Prime Rib (with the obligatory lettuce wedge). Do the Rutgers students still think of it as a landmark/institution or has its appeal been diluted with all the other choices you have in New Brunswick nowadays?

It's been years, but Holsten's in Bloomfield used to make a great burger. Now of course they are better known for the final episode of the Sopranos.

Baah Ben
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 04/23/08 12:30 AM
Tommyeats - Good question on the cheese in the middle at The Iron Horse. They cook them long enough so the inside gets done and the cheese still resides in the middle. But, if you want a medium rare burger, I'm thinking they'd have to put the cheese on the top.

There are two types of commercial char-broilers - radiant and ceramic. One uses a sort of triangular shaped protective metal sheath that sits over the gas burners. It seerves two purposes. First, it keeps the grease from dripping on the burners and clogging them up. Secondly, when the juices of the product drip down, it creates smoke and that drifts back up towards the meat and helps flavor the meat. But, it is not as flavorful as a ceramic type. High heat, quick cooking, good texture, but not as flavorful as the ceramic version. The radiant ceramic broiler is rated at a very high BTU capacity.

A griddle burger has a different texture and taste...But, if you use great fresh meat, it's still a great burger..Just different. The debate goes on and on....

The commercial ceramic charbroiler is more like what you find in most homes...there are u-burners underneath these brickets. The big difference between the home version and the commercial version is the BTU capacity and the size of those u-burners. There's a huge difference. Again, you're getting tremendous and fast heat to the meat. The ceramic charbroiler not only costs less to buy than the radiant one, but it flavors the meat better. The downside is more clean-up, cleaning the u-burners (sometimes they have to be sandblasted) and replacement of the brickets.

Both of these pieces of equipment are different than what's called an upright broiler. These are found in a lot of your top steak houses like Peter Luger's. They give off even more heat, but there is no char-broiled flavor per say. The heat is generated above the meat instead of below it. These are monster broilers which is what you need for a big, thick steak. Their BTU ratings are higher than either of the units I previously mentioned. They broil faster. Yield a crusty exterior you can not get a home.

I have no idea what the other famous steak houses are using to broil their steaks. Could be any of these three types. I do know Peter Lugers use to use upright Franklin Chef broilers. I'd be surprised if they've changed. Maybe they've changed brands to say a Vulcan, but not the type of broiler.

They both require a commercial hood and ansul system.

tommyeats
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 04/23/08 11:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Tommyeats - Good question on the cheese in the middle at The Iron Horse. They cook them long enough so the inside gets done and the cheese still resides in the middle. But, if you want a medium rare burger, I'm thinking they'd have to put the cheese on the top.

There are two types of commercial char-broilers - radiant and ceramic. One uses a sort of triangular shaped protective metal sheath that sits over the gas burners. It seerves two purposes. First, it keeps the grease from dripping on the burners and clogging them up. Secondly, when the juices of the product drip down, it creates smoke and that drifts back up towards the meat and helps flavor the meat. But, it is not as flavorful as a ceramic type. High heat, quick cooking, good texture, but not as flavorful as the ceramic version. The radiant ceramic broiler is rated at a very high BTU capacity.

so which does the Iron Horse use: a gas grill, or a gas broiler.

Baah Ben
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Thu, 04/24/08 8:46 PM
The Iron Horse uses a gas ceramic charbroiler.... Gives their burgers a great outdoor char taste. Jackson Hole, which is mentioned here several times uses a gas griddle. Peter Luger for example uses an upright gas broiler...All three different pieces of equipment and yield a different texture and taste. Hey, if oyu use good fresh meat, all three are going to taste good.

tommyeats
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Fri, 04/25/08 8:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

The Iron Horse uses a gas ceramic charbroiler.... Gives their burgers a great outdoor char taste. Jackson Hole, which is mentioned here several times uses a gas griddle. Peter Luger for example uses an upright gas broiler...All three different pieces of equipment and yield a different texture and taste. Hey, if oyu use good fresh meat, all three are going to taste good.

how would you define that "outdoor char taste"? the only way to add flavor to meat aside from burning (charring) the outside is by burning wood underneath. if the burger is sitting on grates over a gas heat source, it's "grilled", whether that's done indoors or on your patio. Perhaps there are plenty of BTUs of heat (like my Weber gas grill), causing the outside of the meat to burn or char, but other than that reaction I can't imagine there's much flavor added to the meat. Unless the elusive "outdoor taste" is something that I'm just not understanding.

I still don't think that the Iron Horse's cooking process is any different than any other direct cooking over a gas source on grates, or that their cooking process adds any flavor to the final product other than burn or char, which can be attained on many devices, both commerical and residential.

leethebard
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Fri, 04/25/08 9:40 AM
I'll have to agree...except for additions,or wood smoke..the flavor in a burger comes from the cut of the meat used!!!!

Baah Ben
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Fri, 04/25/08 10:55 PM
Well, the burger sits on a grate above ceramic brickets and when the high heat hits the burger, grease drops down on those ceramic brickets and there's smoke that rises up and flavors the meat. That's it. No more and no less. But, this process has more flavor than what takes place when you cook a burger on a gas griddle...That's all I've explained here.

Yes, you could get a stainless steel smoke box and place it under that grate with wood chips and it would give you even more of a smoke taste, but the problem will be that it might activate the fire supression system. That would be very bad.

Well, I have to disagree with you guys. I think the meat/burger does taste different on a griddle vs a char broiler. Burn - char...Isn't that different than the texture you'd get by using a griddle to make the burger.

I never said the Iron Horse's cooking process was unique. There are tons of places using this same piece of equipment (gas ceramic char broiler) including one right here in Daytona Beach - The Brickyard Lounge.

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 04/29/08 5:00 AM
I agree with you, Ken...
as I think it's very tacky for a place to nickel and dime you for an onion !

I also feel it's just better to have a set price, with "your choice of toppings"....at least for the basics: pickles, onions, lettuce and tomato...

Sure, bacon or chili could be extra, though.

leethebard
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 04/29/08 5:57 AM
It's obnoxious to charge for lettuce,tomato or onion...

tommyeats
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 04/29/08 10:02 AM
charging for extras ostensibly keeps the prices down for everyone else who doesn't want to pay for unripe tomatoes, for example. with the high costs of everything these days, getting that crappy tomato from mexico to Spring Lake Heights ain't free. regardless, i don't necessarily appreciate the confusion and clutter on menus when they have "25 cents for this" and "50 cents for that." but I can also appreciate that others don't throw around those Washingtons so freely like I do. at a roadside stand i can see the value. at a sit-down restaurant it just seems like a ill-advised business decision.

agnesrob
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Sun, 05/4/08 8:42 AM
Tommyeats, how big is the bar in the Park steakhouse? I love to sit at a bar and eat but I know that some upscale resteraunts either have a very small bar or don't encourage it. Was it on your site that I read you ate at Esty Street's bar? BTW I love your web site and find it really informative.

tommyeats
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Mon, 05/5/08 4:56 PM
agnesrob,

the bar at The Park Steakhouse isn't all that big (10 stools maybe? i think there's a pic on their site), but they certainly are set up for bar-dining. you can call ahead to tell them you're coming down and they'll save a spot. same with Esty.

agnesrob
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 05/13/08 2:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tommyeats

agnesrob,

the bar at The Park Steakhouse isn't all that big (10 stools maybe? i think there's a pic on their site), but they certainly are set up for bar-dining. you can call ahead to tell them you're coming down and they'll save a spot. same with Esty.

Thanks for the info!

big g in joisey
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 05/14/08 2:50 AM
Baah Ben, I agree with you,I like both Hiram's and Rutt's Hutt,but, I give the edge to Hiram's,bigger dogs and better burgers. Living close by I get to enjoy both.

GNeedles59
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Tue, 05/20/08 3:18 PM
I am going to the Sterling Hotel tonight in Sterling NJ for burgers, their specialty is the cheeses they put on top (port cheddar, horseradish cheddar to name a few)... The burgers are cheap($5-$6), but they do charge extra for lettuce, onion, etc which I find annoying, good thing my friend tends bar there

fattybomatty
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 05/21/08 1:47 PM
Gneedles59 another place in the area to get a pretty good burger is sun tavern on south avenue in fanwood, NJ. Little bit more, but the burger is really good and the roll is excellent. Just it them with a side of curly fries

GNeedles59
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 05/21/08 2:21 PM
I have treated myself to the Sun Tavern many a time, the sun burber with the taylor ham on it is awesome! they got pretty darn good wings too...

fattybomatty
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Wed, 05/21/08 2:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GNeedles59

I have treated myself to the Sun Tavern many a time, the sun burber with the taylor ham on it is awesome! they got pretty darn good wings too...

Yeah I enjoy most of their food. I like the burgers, wings, pizza with bacon, broccoli bites and my friends said their pasta is good too. never had that though

fattybomatty
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Thu, 05/22/08 8:47 AM
Gneedles since you work in Plainfield you should try out my mom's deli (I know shameless plug) It's called Nanny's Kitchen and here is a review from the times for it http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C04E5D6133EF93AA25751C0A9609C8B63 and here's another review for it

"Thought your readers might be interested in a new place to eat in North Plainfield. It's called Nanny's Kitchen. And even though it's located in a small strip mall on Route 22, it has the quaint, homey feel of one of those eateries you'd expect to find along a country road or in a small, sleepy old town. You know, the ones where you walk in the door and you immediately feel like you've stepped back in time. Decorated like an old-fashioned kitchen, it's a place where everyone is friendly. So friendly that if you go more than once, they'll actually start greeting you by name. As for the food, it's good old-fashioned home cooking. Every day along with a regular menu there's also a special breakfast, hot meal, soup, home made desserts - even old-fashioned sweet tea. All from recipes handed down through Nanny's family and friends. And if you're in the mood for potato salad, Nanny makes the best you've ever tasted. She also makes a number of other salads, including cole slaw and macaroni salad. Nanny's Kitchen isn't a deli. It isn't a sub shop. It's just a place where you can go and enjoy an honest-to-goodness, home cooked meal at a reasonable price."

It's located at 1040 US Highway 22, North Plainfield - (908) 561-7003 the fax # is Fax: (908) 561-7004 so you can have her fax over a specials menu to you. I don't know how good her burgers are, but she does Rutger's style fat cat's called Little Piggies that you might be interested in

GNeedles59
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Thu, 05/22/08 9:14 AM
I have been to Nanny's before! loving the little piggy sandwiches!

fattybomatty
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Thu, 05/22/08 9:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GNeedles59

I have been to Nanny's before! loving the little piggy sandwiches!

Nice Gneedles. Glad you like it. You should write an unbiased review for here with pics. haha

GNeedles59
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Thu, 05/22/08 10:19 AM
Will do, next time I can convince the lunch crowd to go there, they are all on a health kick right now, I will have to talk em out of it.... wont be too hard

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 60 of 245