Dog N suds

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 86 of 86
Michigandriveins
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Dog N suds - Wed, 06/7/06 9:55 PM
We hit the Montague DNS every time we go the Getty 4 Drive-In Theater in Muskegon, great food. Anyone remember any other cool drive-ins in Mich? http://www.michigandriveins.com/driveinrestaurants.asp

melizer
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Dog N suds - Tue, 06/20/06 11:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by phatphil

i dont go home often but every time i do there is a dog n suds on rt12 also known as rand rd. a half mile north of the richmond illinois border in to twin lakes wisconsin somewhere by the international house of wine and cheese where you turn off to lake geneva, but dont go in the winter they are closed

Okay, you obviously didn't read any of this thread...

melizer
RE: Dog N suds - Tue, 06/20/06 11:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stevensstudio
Thanks for the link to remaining locations. Seems like a road trip to Illinois for reference photos and materials is in order. I currently reside in Milwaukee, so I'm guessing I'll have a healthy appetite by the time I arrive.
Of course, on the advise of my fellow posters, I won't be eating at the location just south of "cheeseheadland" on Hwy 12, just driving past. Alright, I'll try the fries and root beer. Destination will be Grays Lake or Ingleside, or maybe even both.

I would definitely stop at the Richmond location. Especially since the Ingleside location has those awful order boards instead of carhops. There are new owners with a new improved menu since November 2005, so they deserve a chance. I used to work there when I was 16 in 1987, and I can attest that the food (and owners that year, the Sheets family) were awful. They only let us put the raw hamburger patties in the fridge when the health inspector came, and it was about 114 degrees in there all summer. Those people are long gone. I have been back since with various owners and the food was good, I ordered a corn dog which is pretty safe bet. It might be very good now! But at least stop for a root beer float or something!

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Dog N suds - Tue, 06/20/06 11:49 PM
Hey Melizer, Welcome to Roadfood!

Danny2224
RE: Dog N suds - Thu, 06/22/06 11:19 AM
I use to work at the Dog"N"Suds in Addsion on lake street in Illinois back in the late 60's when I was in high school--I use to stop in now and then and talk to Larry but it has since been torn down a putt putt golf is there now I think--I live near San Francisco now but when I do go back to Indianapolis and Chicago I always try and find a Dog"N"Suds--they still make a good root beer and Texas burger

andyh40
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Dog N suds - Tue, 07/4/06 12:18 PM
There use to be a Dog N Suds in Springfield Ohio on State Route 68 (I think).

Great little place that sat on a hill. Great Coney dogs and Root Beer to die for! I closed up in the late 70's.

ItalianBeef
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Dog N suds - Fri, 07/14/06 1:23 PM
I also remember the Dog-N-Suds in Hanover Park/Streamwood, IL. My grandmother used to live right down the street. On 4th of July when I was a kid, we'd walk to the restaurant, and then on to the field where they had the fireworks. Miss those days. I'm afraid to go to another location, because I think my expectations would not match my memories!!

anselmo1
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Dog N suds - Fri, 08/18/06 6:04 PM
The Coney dog basket was one of my all time favorites at Dog 'N Suds. The Clarence, NY location used fresh potatoes that were out of this world. The root beer in the frosted mugs was one of the best I ever had!

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Dog N suds - Fri, 08/18/06 6:13 PM
The Richmond, Illinois Dog N Suds is awesome!!Ate there about a month ago and was not at all disappointed.

phatphil
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Dog N suds - Fri, 08/18/06 10:09 PM
is that the one on route twelve by twin lakes?

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Dog N suds - Fri, 08/18/06 10:15 PM
Yes sir, Phatphil, that is the one!

Craiger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Dog N suds - Tue, 08/22/06 3:13 PM
Up until 5-6 years ago there was an original Dog n Suds just off Hwy 90 in the town of Wales, WI. I used to stop there and grab a meal, but the Walmart took it's spot..Too bad, the food was really pretty good.

roadrash
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Dog N suds - Wed, 08/30/06 3:08 PM
IIRC, there were Dog n' Suds locations all over Indianapolis - at least there were when I was there from 2000-2001.

UncleVic
RE: Dog N suds - Thu, 08/31/06 12:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by roadrash

IIRC, there were Dog n' Suds locations all over Indianapolis - at least there were when I was there from 2000-2001.

I lived in Indy back in the early 90's. I dont remember a single one back then. Only one I know of now is a kiosk at the Indy Zoo. Only other one that was in existance at that time (other then the Lafayette location) thats now gone was in Fort Wayne I beleive. Which leaves the one in Lafayette as the only full service one left in the state.

roadrash
RE: Dog N suds - Mon, 09/11/06 7:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:
Originally posted by roadrash

I lived in Indy back in the early 90's. I dont remember a single one back then. Only one I know of now is a kiosk at the Indy Zoo. Only other one that was in existance at that time (other then the Lafayette location) thats now gone was in Fort Wayne I beleive. Which leaves the one in Lafayette as the only full service one left in the state.

Uncle Vic, it's been a while since I was in Indy, but I positively remember a Dog N' Suds near the Intown Suites on 86th Street.

Michigandriveins
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Dog N suds - Tue, 09/12/06 6:49 PM
I have a list of all the US Dog n Suds locations from the early 70's, there's eight listed for Indy. There's currently three left in Indiana.....http://www.dognsuds.org/Old%20Timers.htm

I found this photo of what looks to be a modernized (new build?) Dog n Suds, it apparently was converted into a Sonic along with several others in Indiana according to this site; http://www.stenzcorp.com/projectdetail.asp?id=13

UncleVic
RE: Dog N suds - Thu, 09/14/06 12:25 AM
RoadRash.. Been a few years since I've lived there also. But I looked back then (before the Indy Zoo even had one).. Found nada in that neck of the woods. I tried a websearch for the location you suggested, but all I can find is some vegetarian place in a old hot dog stand. I have some old franchise info from them folks and if I get a chance I'll dig thru it (many more stands before Sonic did their thing).. Also may email the CEO and test their memory... Or maybe call that vegetarian place and rattle their knowledge.
But just curious, when you say "a while", how many years? I've visited many, many times, but lived there back in the 90's.

UncleVic
RE: Dog N suds - Thu, 09/14/06 12:27 AM
MichiganDriveIns: http://www.dognsuds.org/WL%20Photo%20Page.htm (Beleive these are the pics for the 2nd location in Lafayette)..
And Welcome to Roadfood! (From someone on the west side of the state)...

roadrash
RE: Dog N suds - Thu, 09/21/06 5:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

RoadRash.. Been a few years since I've lived there also. But I looked back then (before the Indy Zoo even had one).. Found nada in that neck of the woods. I tried a websearch for the location you suggested, but all I can find is some vegetarian place in a old hot dog stand. I have some old franchise info from them folks and if I get a chance I'll dig thru it (many more stands before Sonic did their thing).. Also may email the CEO and test their memory... Or maybe call that vegetarian place and rattle their knowledge.
But just curious, when you say "a while", how many years? I've visited many, many times, but lived there back in the 90's.

Unc, I was in Indianapolis on a contract assignment at Eli Lilly from April 2001 to November 2002. I rented an apartment in Greenwood. I enjoyed it there well enough, but found Indy just a little characterless for my taste. When my contract ended, I wasn't terribly unhappy at the prospect of going back home to Texas.

Oh, and I did a Yahoo yellow pages check for Indianapolis and came up with this:
http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=29165553&ck=1972198743&tab=B2C&tcat=8903827&city=Indianapolis&state=IN&uzip=46204&country=us&msa=3480&cs=4&ed=lRLWXK1o2TxoxXiHaB7ey.nwpktBmw4axwdPloyn.tMq&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:1:fbT:0

BBurge
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Dog N suds - Fri, 09/22/06 8:58 AM
Ah yes remember the place fondly. Funny thing about it was there was one in my little hometown (pop. ~1500) but not one in the city (pop.100,000) so we didn't have to go out of our way for hotdogs and great root beer.

SudsFan
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Dog N suds - Sat, 11/11/06 11:17 PM
There is a new Dog N' Suds restaurant in Machesney Park, IL (just north of Rockford). Okay it's not new, just re-opened. I have great memories of the original from years ago and to be able to drive past the new place and see that original sign lit up brings a smile to my face and I find myself pulling in for, well a dog and a frosty mug of suds almost every time.

Congratulations to the new ownership, and I hope my children support your children in keeping this great tradition alive for years.

Welcome back Dog N' Suds

UncleVic
RE: Dog N suds - Sat, 11/11/06 11:34 PM
Welcome to Roadfood SudsFan!

essemjay58
  • Total Posts : 134
RE: Dog N suds - Sun, 11/12/06 12:17 AM
MY wife and I drove from Minnesota to New Hampshire the last week of September. On the way back we were going to the DNS in Elyria, OH, as she has fond memories from the Rockford, IL location as a kid. We farted around finding it for an hour, thanks to bum Mapquest directions, and then getting lost. Finally got there, and it was closed for the season. We felt a little like the Griswolds showing up at closed Walley World. We took a couple pictures and headed home. I guess I'll have to try to get to that one near Rockford.

buckeye1
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Dog N suds - Sun, 11/12/06 1:32 AM
That DNS in Elyria is only open from April or May to September - I think the season has gotten much shorter as the owners get older, and seasonal workers get harder to find. I like how the Dog'n'Suds is right next to a pawn shop called Park'n'Pawn...

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4710
RE: Dog N suds - Mon, 11/13/06 10:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SudsFan
There is a new Dog N' Suds restaurant in Machesney Park, IL (just north of Rockford). Okay it's not new, just re-opened.
Where's it located? Close to IL-251? When we visit my parents I sometimes skip I-90 and use 251 instead...

Brad

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Dog N suds - Fri, 02/6/09 11:36 AM
Just found this old Dog n' Suds thread and I just had to chime in. I LOVE Dog n' Suds and have since I was in high school; there were lots of then in the Chicago suburbs back then ( none now. ) I still manage to hit the Lafayette IN location on Sagamore Parkway ( US 52 ) at least two or three times a year, and they never disappoint me. The Char-co burgers are delicious, and their root beer is, IMO, the best there is. They reopen sometime next month, and I can hardly wait.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 86 of 86