Gevalia Coffee 2

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6071
  • Reward points : 0
Gevalia Coffee 2 - Fri, 01/11/08 8:24 PM
Hi,
Heard my favorite coffee mentioned on another thread. I love great coffee at breakfast and for years I've been treating myself to Gevalia. I love their limited edition coffees and their breakfast roast...actually most of their coffees...and the free coffee maker is a great gift for joining. I'm on my third free machine as they break down after a year or so...and Gevalia gladly sends you the latest model....Great deal....what do you guys think?
Any Gevalia fans out there?
leethebard

unabashed
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Sat, 01/12/08 12:07 AM
yes I like the Mocha Java but have been buying Sheetz ground coffee lately...if they would start bagging their Serious/Dark/Roast.... Gevalia and I would probably part ways.If you like coffee it's defiantly worth checking out!!!

http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Sat, 01/12/08 12:18 AM
I have had Gevalia coffee and found it to be very good. My all time, top favorite coffee is, Illy.

jimcfs1
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Sat, 01/12/08 1:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by unabashed

yes I like the Mocha Java but have been buying Sheetz ground coffee lately...if they would start bagging their Serious/Dark/Roast....

As I don't live near a Sheetz, but do travel near one, I'm never in one during my usual morning coffee drinking time of day. I was surprised to see their pre-bagged coffee priced very competitively at $3.99/10oz bag.

Have you tried their Pumpkin Spice coffee they had in the fall? It just sounded good.

Big_g
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Sat, 01/12/08 4:18 PM
I've been a user since '84...love the Stockholm Roast,

uncledaveyo
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Sat, 01/12/08 4:45 PM
I don't love Gevalia Coffee, but I do like it, and think its smooth and well made. I reserve my coffee love for my local Flying Goat, who roasts fresh daily; I can smell it roasting from my office window.

That being said, there are few things more thrilling than getting a brand new coffee maker in the mail time after time. Gevalia is fun.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Sun, 01/13/08 2:39 PM
I just started and it seems OK. The coffee (European Coffee House styles) seems a bit bitter. However, in spite of loving RF, I'm not such a good cook

brentk
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Sun, 01/13/08 3:11 PM
It's funny how different food sits can have the exact opposite threads about the same topic. Over on Chowhound there is a thread blasting Gevalia coffee. Some posters are claiming that what is sent out in mail order is not the same stuff that is served in Europe.

I ordered some about 5-10 years ago and was not impressed enough to order it again.

Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Sun, 01/13/08 4:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by brentk

It's funny how different food sits can have the exact opposite threads about the same topic. Over on Chowhound there is a thread blasting Gevalia coffee. Some posters are claiming that what is sent out in mail order is not the same stuff that is served in Europe.

I ordered some about 5-10 years ago and was not impressed enough to order it again.

Well, since Gevalia is owned by General Foods (or whatever they are calling themselves nowadays after separating from Philip Morris), and since they also are the people who purvey Maxwell House (the coffee mediocrity of America), it would not be surprising to learn that they market different coffee in the US. Most Europeans would not drink the coffee that is typically sold in the US.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Sun, 01/13/08 9:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:
Originally posted by brentk

Well, since Gevalia is owned by General Foods (or whatever they are calling themselves nowadays after separating from Philip Morris), and since they also are the people who purvey Maxwell House (the coffee mediocrity of America), it would not be surprising to learn that they market different coffee in the US. Most Europeans would not drink the coffee that is typically sold in the US.

Many years ago I worked for General Foods in marketing research (pre-Kraft, pre-pre Philip Morris). Yes, they had different products internationally, for example a wonderful "Kaffe Hag" a truly potable instant from Germany.

They also had different US formulations, for example Maxwell House had a "Pacific Blend" that was weaker than Eastern US Maxwell House (they were both sold under the same name - the "Pacific" was an in-house term). They saw that (at the time, pre-Starbucks, yes there was that time) Easterners were more familiar with European coffee and prefrred it darker

Reevesis
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Gevalia Coffee 2 - Mon, 01/21/08 9:58 PM
I subscribed to Gevalia for a couple of years and enjoyed their coffee, but I make it a point to try and sample local coffee whenever I travel for business. I kept coming back to Kaladi Brothers out of Anchorage as my favorite... and it seemed like the cost was the same for a larger amount of product and I didn't have to deal with automatic mailings and special roast postcard returns and stuff like that. So I canceled, and now just bring home beans from wherever I happen to be traveling, and order Kaladi Brothers a few times a year....

I guess that's a long way of saying, yes, Gevalia is good coffee, but no, I don't think it's worth subscribing to.