Hushpuppies in New Jersey??

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6081
  • Reward points : 0
Hushpuppies in New Jersey?? - Sun, 01/13/08 9:50 AM
Here's a strange inquirey....
Love hushpuppies....can only find a poor substitute at an Arthur Treachers Mall place.....Is there any place(Southern food??) that sells hushpuppies around New Jersey? Where's the closest to Jersey you've ever seen them. Miss them from my summers in North Carolina.
leethebard

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2201
RE: Hushpuppies in New Jersey?? - Sun, 01/13/08 10:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Here's a strange inquirey....
Love hushpuppies....can only find a poor substitute at an Arthur Treachers Mall place.....Is there any place(Southern food??) that sells hushpuppies around New Jersey? Where's the closest to Jersey you've ever seen them. Miss them from my summers in North Carolina.
leethebard

Try this. Ain't rocket science. pb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hushpuppy Recipe

The following recipe is from my friend Andra Cook of Raleigh, North Carolina. Andra says, "My mother-in-law, Belle Cook, would make these hushpuppies, cooking them in an iron pot over an open fire at the Neuse River in North Carolina. They were delicious with fresh fish, cole slaw, French fries, and a big dose of fresh air. They never tasted so good!"

4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
1 cup water

In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil to 350° F or until a small amount of batter dropped into the hot oil sizzles and floats. Do not let the oil get too hot or the center of the hushpuppies will not cook thoroughly.

In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, egg, salt, baking soda, milk, and water. Mix until batter is smooth and free of any lumps. Batter should be stiff (if batter is too dry, add milk; if batter is too thin, add cornmeal).

Using two spoons, push a small amount of batter into hot oil (370° to 380° F). After about 10 seconds, hushpuppies will float to the top and begin to brown. Fry for approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning to brown all sides. Remove from oil and place hushpuppies on paper towels; continue cooking the remaining batter (fry in small batches, adding 4 to 6 hushpuppies to the oil at a time). NOTE: They can be held in a 200° F oven until serving time (approximately 30 minutes). Serve hot.

Makes 2 dozen hushpuppies.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13388
RE: Hushpuppies in New Jersey?? - Sun, 01/13/08 2:07 PM
I do not want to be cynic but hushpuppies in NJ? Is that like BBQ sauce in NYC??

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: Hushpuppies in New Jersey?? - Tue, 01/15/08 6:09 PM
Ya know, South Jersey is BELOW the Mason-Dixon line.....(really)

jman
  • Total Posts : 1276
RE: Hushpuppies in New Jersey?? - Tue, 01/15/08 7:15 PM
It seems that a real important ingredient is missing from that recipe- finely chopped onions. A hushpuppie without onions is nothing but a ball of deep-fried cornbread.

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Hushpuppies in New Jersey?? - Tue, 01/15/08 7:27 PM
Every time I eat seafood outside of the South, I try to convince them that adding a bowl of hushpuppies to the meal would bring them a flood of raving, enthusiastically satisfied customers.

I pushed them heavily in Wisconsin and Minnesota. I'm convinced that they would be much better received than the marbled rye they serve at their Friday night fish fries.

But no luck yet.

mikez629
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Hushpuppies in New Jersey?? - Wed, 01/16/08 5:38 PM
NYC-SALT AND BATTERY-GREAT FISH AND CHIP-JUST LIKE ACROSS THE POND