The name of this sandwich?

Post
mikez629
Cheeseburger
2008/01/18 11:52:44
I saw this sandwich on TV and do not know what it is called or where you get it. It is on a hamburger bun/with loose ground beef. I think I saw it on that roadshow with Alton Brown.
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 12:05:06
It's the "sandwich of many names."

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14053&SearchTerms=loosemeat

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6998&SearchTerms=loosemeat
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 12:26:37
Yep, Loosemeat. It is biggest in Iowa. Go one state north to Minnesota and practically unheard of.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 12:42:13
Mmmmmm... loose meat...

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 13:25:00
The Original Maid-Rite pic lookes like a sloppy joe. Is it similar?

kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 13:34:33
Sloppy Joe's have a tomato based sauce, loose meat doesn't. They are dry and many people ad mustard.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 13:54:47
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

Sloppy Joe's have a tomato based sauce, loose meat doesn't. They are dry and many people ad mustard.


huh, thanks. Ya know, this just prooves my point about who "invented" a food. Apparently, I have been making "loose meat" sandwiches (or something similar)for years, without even knowing it. I never heard of the loosmeat sandwich until reading this thread. But, I make the same/simliar sandwich with my left over ground meat from my homemade tacos. Tacos is a fairly regular meal on Fridays. I make the meat, dice tomatos, onions, shred cheese, ready the sour cream, chop lettuce and make guacomle. Each ingredient gets its own bowl and is put in a lazy susan for make your own. I usually cook up the entire two pound package of ground meat. So, there's always extra meat. So, often, Saturday lunch is the ground meat on a hamburger bun. Reheat the meat, toast the bun and although I have used mustard, I often use the left over salsa as the condiment. And sometimes add any left over cheese, too. I mean, it's probably not the exact same, but it certainly calls into play the whole idea of who "invented" any given dish.



Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 14:23:41
I have enjoyed the Maid rite many times in the Rock Island/Davenport area. They are a little sloppy to eat but I found them tasty.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 14:54:19
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

Sloppy Joe's have a tomato based sauce, loose meat doesn't. They are dry and many people ad mustard.


huh, thanks. Ya know, this just prooves my point about who "invented" a food. Apparently, I have been making "loose meat" sandwiches (or something similar)for years, without even knowing it. I never heard of the loosmeat sandwich until reading this thread. But, I make the same/simliar sandwich with my left over ground meat from my homemade tacos. Tacos is a fairly regular meal on Fridays. I make the meat, dice tomatos, onions, shred cheese, ready the sour cream, chop lettuce and make guacomle. Each ingredient gets its own bowl and is put in a lazy susan for make your own. I usually cook up the entire two pound package of ground meat. So, there's always extra meat. So, often, Saturday lunch is the ground meat on a hamburger bun. Reheat the meat, toast the bun and although I have used mustard, I often use the left over salsa as the condiment. And sometimes add any left over cheese, too. I mean, it's probably not the exact same, but it certainly calls into play the whole idea of who "invented" any given dish.

We've had this discussion before, but "Sloppy Joes" doesn't mean the same thing all over the country either.
Loosemeats aka NuWays and Maidrites are not Tomato or sauce based in the same way as Sloppy Joes.


Jaybird1000
Junior Burger
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 15:13:59
I believe that after browning the meat, it continues to "boil"
in some broth & spices for some time,
until the meat become very fine and crumbly.
They are ofter served with pickes, chopped onion and mustard.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 18:05:20
Loosemeat is traditionally steam cooked. BTW, the Stern's Sandwich book has a recipe for making them in your own home.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/18 18:17:22
Then there's the Tavern sandwich which is kind of 1/2 way between a loosemeat and a sloppy Joe. I learned of it here on Roadfood shortly after I "joined" and have been making them regularly for the family since then. For the recipe check this thread[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8928&SearchTerms=tavern,sandwich']here[/url]. pb
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/21 00:04:32
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks
Then there's the Tavern sandwich which is kind of 1/2 way between a loosemeat and a sloppy Joe. I learned of it here on Roadfood shortly after I "joined" and have been making them regularly for the family since then. For the recipe check this thread pb


Good thread TY
Jack@DrofBBQ.com
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/21 09:06:39
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

Then there's the Tavern sandwich which is kind of 1/2 way between a loosemeat and a sloppy Joe. I learned of it here on Roadfood shortly after I "joined" and have been making them regularly for the family since then. For the recipe check this thread[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8928&SearchTerms=tavern,sandwich']here[/url]. pb


From that thread, a recipe for Tavern Sandwich filling:
quote:

2 lbs hamburger
1 onion, minced
1 tsp dry mustard
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups water


Add garlic and worcestershire, and that is my basic Sloppy Joe recipe.
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/21 12:21:42
It seems like the loose meat sandwich is better suited for a wrap than a bun....oh the heresy.

I've never had a loose meat sandwich, but I don't think I would care for it. I really don't like sloppy joe's, and the loose meat sandwich seems like it would be worse than a sloppy joe.

Speaking of sloppy joes, I can't tell you how disapointed I get when I go to a fair or a community function and I order BBQ, expecting to get pulled pork, and I end up getting sloppy joe instead.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/21 17:31:29
Doesn't all the "loose meat" fall out of the bun when you pick it up?
It seems so dry-like you need a milkshake to get it down.
" />
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/21 17:38:44
quote:
Originally posted by mikez629

Doesn't all the "loose meat" fall out of the bun when you pick it up?
It seems so dry-like you need a milkshake to get it down.
" />

If you pick it up with both hands it is quite managable. The loosemeats I have eaten in NW Iowa are steamed and not dry at all.

I usually eat mine at Miles Inn in Sioux City so I can have a beer with it.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/23 18:15:55
Maid Rite in Greenville, OH







NascarDad
Cheeseburger
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/24 12:26:25
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

Sloppy Joe's have a tomato based sauce, loose meat doesn't. They are dry and many people ad mustard.
Glad to know that now.. since I find most sloppy joe's gross (the sauce is usually too sweet for my taste) i had avoided loose meat sandwiches.

Thanks!
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/01/24 12:30:34
I used to get subs full of them in Orlando. Only difference they already had the cheese melted in. Not added as a slice. Yum.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: The name of this sandwich? 2008/02/08 15:52:56
Lafayette Coney has a good loose meat only the serve it on a hot dog bun ...