Sazeracs

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
Sazeracs - Thu, 01/24/08 2:24 AM
Okay, for those of you in Los Angeles: If you want to make a Sazerac the RIGHT way, check with Vendome, in the Valley. I don't know about the one in Beverly Hills. It's been a while, and I am forgetting all the stuff you need, but when I looked, they had it all. The two critical ingredients would be rye whiskey, and Peychaud's bitters (not the common one). I think there's one more thing in there, something like the substitute for absinthe, but I think you are just sort of lining the glass with that, it's not the major item. Have not made one in years, but for those traveling to New Orleans, get over to the Sazerac Bar at the Fairmont Hotel. Do NOT wear a t-shirt. Order a Sazerac. You will thank me. Fantastic murals, great atmosphere.
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net

improviser
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: Sazeracs - Thu, 01/24/08 9:38 AM
I'm a big fan of the Liquor series by Poppy Z. Brite, books about the trials and tribulations of two New Orleans cooks who open a restaurant.

Sazeracs are mentioned several times throughout the series, as the main character hates them.

Last year I was in a Cajun place in Charlotte and decided to order one. It was like drinking a licorice jellybean. I hate licorice jellybeans. I'm glad I tried something new but Sazeracs aren't for me.

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Sazeracs - Thu, 01/24/08 9:48 AM
It is the absinthe that gives it the licorise taste and the cloudyness look- this is becoming a new and popular drink in some circles- there was a show on Food Network just last week that mentioned absinthe......can ony be purchased from one distributor. Did you know that absinthe was, at one time, the main ingredient in Pepto Bismal? Now there is a fact that is truly obscure!

improviser
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: Sazeracs - Thu, 01/24/08 10:21 AM
I'm actually reading "Hideous Absinthe", a history of the drink, right now. It's very interesting so far. The section I'm reading right now talks about asbinthe's affects on the art world, including Van Gogh, Verlaine, Rimbaud and Gauguin.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3591
RE: Sazeracs - Thu, 01/24/08 12:29 PM
Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney---Anaheim makes an excellent Sazerac.

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Sazeracs - Thu, 01/24/08 9:34 PM
Well, I'm not real big on licorice either, but the Pernod is the most minor ingredient in the drink.
I think there are more than one distributors of absinthe out there now, on the web. My doctor grows wormwood, and makes his own.
-SL

Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 792
RE: Sazeracs - Sun, 02/10/08 8:09 AM
You just have to remember to coat the glass very lightly with Pernod, a little goes a long way. And rye is essential. The bad versions I have had forgot this

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Sazeracs - Sun, 02/10/08 4:03 PM
A concoction called Herbsaint, made in New Orleans, is the secret ingredient and is necessary to a genuine Sazeerac. not easy to find, but it should be available at a better liquor store in a large city. As for myself, I gathered all the ingredients a couple of years ago when the Sazarac was discussed on these forums, made it a couple of times - I liked it as something slightly exotic, my wife refuses to drink it, and my friends look askance at it, so I'm down to a lonely drink once a year or so.

Cheers, John