Roy's

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2008/01/24 15:09:18
I just came across a souvenir menu from this place in Maryland we visited about 20 years ago. The[url='http://www.roysplacerestaurant.com/']menu[/url] was (and still is) a little overwhelming when it comes to the sandwich section. Has anyone here ever been there? Lately? Is it still as good as I remember? pb
divefl
RE: Roy's 2008/01/24 15:19:22
Not I. Sandwiches have a little too much going on for me.
divefl
RE: Roy's 2008/01/24 15:51:28
I should say those sandwiches not all sandwiches. I like to focus on one meat usually. Unless you plan on adding bacon, then add away. That only enhances the flavor of everything instead of masking it.
Robearjr
RE: Roy's 2008/01/24 22:37:49
I'm actually pretty surprised a quirky restaurant like this in Montgomery County, Maryland. Montgomery County is a pretentious land that is inhabited by people with a sense of moral superiority. They were one of the first counties to ban trans fats and smoking. This place, with it's politically incorrect vibe, seems like the kind of place you would see in Baltimore, eastern Baltimore County or even one of the state's more rural counties...anyplace other than Montgomery County.
ocdreamr
RE: Roy's 2008/01/24 23:51:25
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

I'm actually pretty surprised a quirky restaurant like this in Montgomery County, Maryland. Montgomery County is a pretentious land that is inhabited by people with a sense of moral superiority. They were one of the first counties to ban trans fats and smoking. This place, with it's politically incorrect vibe, seems like the kind of place you would see in Baltimore, eastern Baltimore County or even one of the state's more rural counties...anyplace other than Montgomery County.

actually, when Roy's opened Gaithersburg was rural. The web site doesn't give the opening date but I know I was going there back in the late 70's Back then, if you got much more than a block or so off Rockville Pike, you were in the country. I lived in Frederick at the time & when I came down to Gaithersburg I remember It as being country until I hit the IBM building on the Northern end of the town.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Roy's 2008/01/24 23:53:59
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

Quirky, yes, but there's still an air of superiority hidden behind the shroud of quirkiness. For example, a trademark notice after every sandwich name? somthing tells me the restaurant has not actually applied for that many trademarks. He'd put himself out of business. Also, the whole "what new customers should know about Roy's Place" is a little much. But, I love gregarious, I love the sandwich descriptions (I'm not sure I'd know what to pick - they might be waiting on me rather than me waiting for them), and it definately is the kind of place I need to drive out to. I rarely get past Rockville, but this place has me intrigued.