Favorite Cocktail

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 121 to 168 of 168
mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15075
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Tue, 08/20/13 10:23 AM
I have simple tastes.... A tall Whiskey Sour is my drink of choice...preferably in a large soft-drink cup (Think Slurpee)
Knob Creek or Buffalo Trace Bourbon mixed one to two with frozen lemonade concentrate (lemonade mixed 1 to 1 with water prior to adding the Bourbon)  over ice.
I am describing a beverage for an evening at home...Obviously the traditional Sour served 'out' would be a bit more conservative. 
<message edited by mayor al on Tue, 08/20/13 10:32 AM>

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13405
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Tue, 08/20/13 12:48 PM
My drink of choice is even more simpler than the Mayor's.  Canadian and ice.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

ALL GOOD
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Tue, 08/20/13 1:16 PM
The "Surely" Temple:

Fill one highball glass with ice (hollow centered cubes, you don't want to water this down).
Add 2 shots of Jack Daniels.
Add 1 shot of maraschino cherry juice
Fill remainder with 7-up.

Created this little beauty when I was allowed access to the liquor at a restaurant I waitressed at in high school. 

eruby
  • Total Posts : 587
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 08/21/13 10:08 AM
ALL GOOD

The "Surely" Temple:

Fill one highball glass with ice (hollow centered cubes, you don't want to water this down).
Add 2 shots of Jack Daniels.
Add 1 shot of maraschino cherry juice
Fill remainder with 7-up.

Created this little beauty when I was allowed access to the liquor at a restaurant I waitressed at in high school. 
Is that 'surely' as in in confident, or 'surly' as in sour and glum?

Wasn't sure if it was a typo.

Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 792
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 08/21/13 11:44 AM
Now that I hear that my concoction is different enough from the Roosevelt to stand on it's own, I've decided to name it the Faith, after my favorite bartender

peterscoth
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 01/27/14 10:55 AM
Hi..

One of my favorite recipe is Whisky Sour Classic. Here is the recipe for it.

Ingredients [ oz | cl ]

2 oz Whisky
1 oz Lemon Juice
1 oz Simple Syrup
1 Egg White
Method: Prepare in shaker
Glass: Old-Fashioned
Recipe:
Put ingredients in a shaker along with 4-6 ice cubes.
Shake well.
Pour in a cocktail glass, or an old-fashioned glass over 2-3 ice cubes.
Garnish with orange slice and maraschino cherry.
For more recipes www.greatmixeddrinks.com

Davebassman
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 01/27/14 11:42 AM
My favorite is a Manhattan. I use bourbon instead of rye or Canadian. I find it difficult to get a good Manhattan at a restaurant/bar these days.

Phildelmar
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 01/27/14 12:32 PM
I tried and my local didn't have bitters

fishtaco
  • Total Posts : 742
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 01/27/14 4:03 PM
Davebassman

My favorite is a Manhattan. I use bourbon instead of rye or Canadian. I find it difficult to get a good Manhattan at a restaurant/bar these days.

Dave, on reason is, that good bartenders are far and few between these days. Most are young kids who give a rat's butt. All the care about is flipping glasses and seeing how "cool" they can be behind the  bar. My suggestion is, go to either a nice hotel bar or a old  neighborhood bar, where the bartender has been behind that bar for about 20 years or more!

kaszeta
  • Total Posts : 660
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 01/27/14 4:08 PM
Phildelmar

I tried and my local didn't have bitters

Probably because my friend Warren has the national reserve of them.  From an event a week ago:

Phildelmar
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 01/27/14 4:19 PM
Wow!

waltpiii
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 01/27/14 4:45 PM
My favorite is Jamison"s over ice.

but I also enjoy a good Margarita.

Walt

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6230
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 01/27/14 10:35 PM
Old thread and I believe I responded a couple of times but realized I was speaking of drinking whiskey of bourbon or rye pretty much straight. But if it is a cocktail you want I guess I have partaken on occasion. That would be a Manhattan with bourbon, ice, the bitters and cherry and allowing an open bottle of vermouth in the room. OK, OK, it is usually when my sisters-in-law are guests and they like to have a Manhattan at 5 o'clock to celebrate their father's tradition. They mix half and half. My eldest sister-in-law always insists on making them. I do allow her to put a drop of vermouth in mine.

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1937
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 01/27/14 11:12 PM
Fruit cocktail.
<message edited by MellowRoast on Mon, 02/3/14 2:16 PM>

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1059
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Tue, 01/28/14 8:33 AM
Pessimist: the tomato juice in that glass is half empty.
Optimist: the tomato juice in that glass is half full.
Me: Yay.. there's room for more vodka.

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Tue, 01/28/14 12:52 PM
Not sure if I posted this before...maybe in another thread.........but my new semi Frou-Frou drink (if you add an umbrella and Fruit) is what I call an "Island Insanity"

Equal parts of Dark spiced Rum, Coke, Pineapple juice..dash of bitters and a pinch of nutmeg

Or.for when we lived in the UK and introduced half the neighborhood to Cranberry Juice........A "Cape Cod Mimosa":

Equal parts, Cranberry juice and really Cheap Champagne
Triple Sec to desired level ( about 10%).or Cointreau if you are feeling flush.

Served with frozen Cranberries in the glass

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1598
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 6:30 AM
FriedClamFanatic

Not sure if I posted this before...maybe in another thread.........but my new semi Frou-Frou drink (if you add an umbrella and Fruit) is what I call an "Island Insanity"

Equal parts of Dark spiced Rum, Coke, Pineapple juice..dash of bitters and a pinch of nutmeg

Or.for when we lived in the UK and introduced half the neighborhood to Cranberry Juice........A "Cape Cod Mimosa":

Equal parts, Cranberry juice and really Cheap Champagne
Triple Sec to desired level ( about 10%).or Cointreau if you are feeling flush.

Served with frozen Cranberries in the glass

If you're feeling really flush, replace the triple sec with Chamborg!

Sonny Funzio
  • Total Posts : 902
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 11:03 AM
right now, the ...

POLAR VORTEX
Cream
and equal measures of ...
Frangelico
Rumple Minze 100 proof
Stawski Spirytus 192 or Balkan 176   (or Everclear if those are unavailable)

All *alcohol* ingredients are combined freezer-cold ... then served in a snifter BUT with the (refrigerator temp) cream carefully floated as a 1/3"inch layer on top (using a spoon to dribble it in, down the side of the snifter) ... the cream is the "layer of snow" on top.

OR the drink can be served with the alcohol ingredients freezer-cold then mixed with the cream and poured over crushed ice.
<message edited by Sonny Funzio on Wed, 01/29/14 1:43 PM>

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 2:57 PM
Sonny Funzio

right now, the ...

POLAR VORTEX
Cream
and equal measures of ...
Frangelico
Rumple Minze 100 proof
Stawski Spirytus 192 or Balkan 176   (or Everclear if those are unavailable)

All *alcohol* ingredients are combined freezer-cold ... then served in a snifter BUT with the (refrigerator temp) cream carefully floated as a 1/3"inch layer on top (using a spoon to dribble it in, down the side of the snifter) ... the cream is the "layer of snow" on top.

OR the drink can be served with the alcohol ingredients freezer-cold then mixed with the cream and poured over crushed ice.
Wow...that sounds devastating. Definitely a dessert drink and/or anesthetic. Before dinner I think my head would fall into my plate of spaghetti.

johnlockedema
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 4:44 PM
Usually it's a Negroni up in the winter and a Bombay, tonic, and lime in the summer.

Lately it's been a good tequila, ginger beer, and lime and it's bridged the seasons.

mr. sausage
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 5:05 PM
Of course you realize, Davydd, that's not a manhattan you're drinking. First of all, start with a rye, Rittenhouse, works well. Bourbon is usually too sweet to add sweet vermouth to. You want the hard, spicy backbone of rye as the base. You mentioned bitters. Of course, they are a must. Forget your cherry. Most importantly, use a good quality vermouth and refrigerate the unused portion. Use it within a month.
The Cocchi Torino is excellent.
People that think they don't like vermouth are usually only familiar with cheap, extremely stale exam

mr. sausage
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 5:08 PM
Exuse me. Smart phone thumb flub.
Examples of vermouth.

The same way people consider chilled vodka with an olive a "martini". Please, drink what you like but don't call it something it isn't.

Phildelmar
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 5:13 PM
I agree with your point on rye

johnlockedema
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 8:47 PM
And Rittenhouse, though it can be hard to source, isn't too expensive.

Pancho
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 9:04 PM
I prefer Templeton, but probably because I have a free connection. It's almost too good to mix, though.

mr. sausage
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 10:27 PM
LDI out of Indiana makes a lot of rye. Many different outfits, posing as distilleries, sell the LDI juice. If you have a connection, Pancho, you probably already know this.
While I find the 95% rye mash bill compelling, I can't imagine paying full price for Templeton. They are selling a story as much as they are a whiskey. I'm sure they're nice folks. I just wonder if they have any interest in producing their own whiskey.

When procuring straight rye proves difficult, one can always resort to using a high rye bourbon like Bulleit or Old Grandad BiB. The 114 Grandad, paired with Carpano Antica, will produce a Manhattan that demands serious attention.

Davydd
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 11:12 PM
Pancho

I prefer Templeton, but probably because I have a free connection. It's almost too good to mix, though.

I agree, you would not be appreciating this fine rye diluting it.

Davydd
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Wed, 01/29/14 11:17 PM
mr. sausage

Of course you realize, Davydd, that's not a manhattan you're drinking. First of all, start with a rye, Rittenhouse, works well. Bourbon is usually too sweet to add sweet vermouth to. You want the hard, spicy backbone of rye as the base. You mentioned bitters. Of course, they are a must. Forget your cherry. Most importantly, use a good quality vermouth and refrigerate the unused portion. Use it within a month.
The Cocchi Torino is excellent.
People that think they don't like vermouth are usually only familiar with cheap, extremely stale exam

I was just drinking what my wife and her sisters volunteered to make at 5 PM when they got together. They used Windsor Canadian most times but I let them use my bourbon for MY drink. Normally I only drink bourbon straight or with a small ice cube, very small. Usually one of those little wedge shaped ones that come from a refrigerator ice maker.

Pancho
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 7:18 AM
mr. sausage

LDI out of Indiana makes a lot of rye. Many different outfits, posing as distilleries, sell the LDI juice. If you have a connection, Pancho, you probably already know this.
While I find the 95% rye mash bill compelling, I can't imagine paying full price for Templeton. They are selling a story as much as they are a whiskey. I'm sure they're nice folks. I just wonder if they have any interest in producing their own whiskey.

When procuring straight rye proves difficult, one can always resort to using a high rye bourbon like Bulleit or Old Grandad BiB. The 114 Grandad, paired with Carpano Antica, will produce a Manhattan that demands serious attention.
Right you are, sir. Made in Lawrenceburg...I met the Templeton boys at a "distillers convention" in Madison, WI. I was a concierge at the hotel where it was held and became good friends with Scott and Keith. They send me an occasional bottle and stay in touch. Lets just say I did them a small favor. That being said, there is no way I would pay close to $50 a bottle. If it can be had this is my favorite rye.
http://www.canadianwhisky...-years-40-alc-vol.html

Phildelmar
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 11:09 AM
Have had Alberta Springs and agree. Trouble is, it's tough to find

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 12:01 PM
Pancho

We need to get together for lunch sometime.

mr. sausage
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 1:12 PM
Davydd, I take my bourbon the same way. I have some nice bar tools but really only make cocktails for company. I've convinced myself that adding sugar to my hootch on a regular basis is not sustainable.
I'll usually grab a filtered water cube from the tray and put it in the tumbler, measure out three ounces of whiskey, and let it sit for a few minutes. I try and make that last a couple of hours. If I have more than that, all bets are off and I become a danger to myself and the contents of the pantry. Some folks get the munchies when they smoke, some of us get the whiskey munchies...

mr. sausage
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 1:22 PM
Pancho

Right you are, sir. Made in Lawrenceburg...I met the Templeton boys at a "distillers convention" in Madison, WI. I was a concierge at the hotel where it was held and became good friends with Scott and Keith. They send me an occasional bottle and stay in touch. Lets just say I did them a small favor. That being said, there is no way I would pay close to $50 a bottle. If it can be had this is my favorite rye.
http://www.canadianwhisky...-years-40-alc-vol.html

Yeah, I wouldn't turn down free Templeton. I don"t know how it differs from the other ryes that come out of Lawrenceburg, but I believe they all have the same mashbill. I've had a bunch of them, the Redemption is young and fine for mixing.
I'll have to look for that Canadian. We just moved from Texas and I'm still discovering things here that were previously unavailable. I always wanted to try Alberta Premium but it seems it stays in Canada.
Have you seen Alberta Springs in the states?

Davydd
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 1:59 PM
Templeton Rye is an Iowan spirit. I meet with a group of fellow Class B van RVers at socials every year from around the country. One member died a couple of years ago and his favorite spirit was Templeton Rye. So now every time we get together Templeton is our unofficial official toasting drink.

mr. sausage
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 3:01 PM
Davydd

Templeton Rye is an Iowan spirit. I meet with a group of fellow Class B van RVers at socials every year from around the country. One member died a couple of years ago and his favorite spirit was Templeton Rye. So now every time we get together Templeton is our unofficial official toasting drink.

It's bottled in Iowa. They may age some of it there. The LDI I've been referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...urg_Distillers_Indiana

The whole Al Capone thing, the "family recipe"…like I said, a good product but a better story.

Pancho
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 3:23 PM
True, as stated, for the most part. I've been told that they have a distillery in Templeton and SUPPOSEDLY the bottle Keith gave me about five years ago was totally distilled and bottled in Templeton. He said they still produce some there for the "locals". The rest arrives by tanker from LDI. The kind of shoots down the "small batch" story. Anyway, I still believe that excellent marketing can only sell the first bottle.

johnlockedema
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 7:51 PM
Templeton is about ten dollars a bottle more around me than Rittenhouse, and it's not ten dollars a bottle better.

Phildelmar
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 8:28 PM
I agree, but prefer Pikesville over rittenhouse

Pancho
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Thu, 01/30/14 8:56 PM
Phildelmar

I agree, but prefer Pikesville over rittenhouse
That's funny....I remember in the HBO series The Wire (filmed around Baltimore) that they were drinking that in many of the bar scenes. I thought it was Kentucky rye, but realized I was thinking of Pikeville, KY and not Pikesville, MD. Then I find out that it's really distilled in Kentucky! Confusing.

Phildelmar
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Fri, 01/31/14 9:38 AM
It's very much a Maryland brand albeit distilled in Kentucky. I've never found it anywhere else. Fortunately I live close to the Maryland border.

Pancho
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Fri, 01/31/14 10:25 AM
Phildelmar

It's very much a Maryland brand albeit distilled in Kentucky. I've never found it anywhere else. Fortunately I live close to the Maryland border.
You're right...I used to spend a lot of time in St. Mary's County (MD) and my friend's Dad drank it. I grew up very near where this great bourbon was initially produced in Virginia.
http://www.ellenjaye.com/va_gentleman.htm

Phildelmar
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Fri, 01/31/14 11:11 AM
Great article. I've been known to drink Virginia Gentleman as well

eruby
  • Total Posts : 587
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Fri, 01/31/14 1:09 PM
Phildelmar

Unfortunately, Pikesville has grown in popularity and the price has risen (along with inflation) from $7.99 to $13 or more.

Pikesville is my favorite Rye, even over Knob Creek Rye and the new Dickel Rye.

johnlockedema
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 02/3/14 1:36 PM
The New York Times Sunday magazine section featured rye in their beverage page yesterday.

hanvi
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Fri, 02/14/14 5:42 PM
My fave girly drink is the Midori Sour

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Sun, 02/16/14 10:06 PM
I haven't had a cocktail in far far too long. My next girly cocktail will be Pisco Punch. 

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Sun, 02/16/14 10:12 PM
That's not a girly cocktail CC....

Yes it is. 

TomEN
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Favorite Cocktail - Mon, 03/3/14 2:33 PM
I love a good Amaretto sour.

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 121 to 168 of 168