Best French Fries In America?

Filet Mignon
2008/01/25 07:53:38
http://cg.channel.aol.com/best-french-fries
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/25 16:03:29
One place on the list has sadly closed, Frites in Seattle. They were very, very good.
David_NYC
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/25 20:34:05
Best French Fries in America? I'm sure the readers of this forum can name some places far better than AOL did. I would nominate Nathan's Famous fries as served at Coney Island, NY.

That AOL story sounds like another one of those "Best Pizza In the Valley" articles you see in those free weekly newspapers. Funny how the shops in their lists all happen to advertise in the newspaper as well.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/25 20:44:04
Best fries? Cafe Routier in Westbrook, CT. Duck fat rules!
hotdogger
Hamburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/25 20:46:48
Everyone knows the best french fries are at McDonald's.
i95
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/25 20:53:51
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC
Best French Fries in America? I'm sure the readers of this forum can name some places far better than AOL did.

Agreed although they sure the heck[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2366']didn't[/url]. Too bad as I would've reiterated my vote for the shoe string variety accompanying the fresh grilled fish at San Francisco's great [url='http://www.hayesstreetgrill.com']Hayes Street Grill[/url] (across from that city's Performing Arts Center at 320 Hayes Street).

Such was reviewed in the Stern's "Eat Your Way Across the USA" (1999) and included the accolade that the Grill offered a "sophisticated San Francisco meal to remember."

Indeed, I do.
sk bob
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/27 21:22:25
Originally posted by hotdogger

99 out of 100 people would think you're out of your mind or don't eat out at real places.
Pigiron
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/28 08:38:45
These lists are so ridiculous. Their criteria certainly wasn't to find the "best". They obviously wanted to highlight every area of the country. One of their choices is not even made from potatoes, how could they be the best french fries in the country?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/28 10:57:38
I am glad to see the "O" here in Pittsburgh make the list and it is well deserved. I have yet to find french fries elsewhere I enjoy more. And the amount they give you is just ridiculous.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/28 14:27:29
quote:
Originally posted by sk bob

quote:
Originally posted by hotdogger

99 out of 100 people would think you're out of your mind or don't eat out at real places.

actually, I would guess that more people think the best french fries are at McDonald's more than any other restaurant. Sad as that is.

divefl
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/29 11:19:38
As much as I think these "best of" lists are crap, I would like to commend aol for not focusing on one type of fry. I myself like a boardwalk fry and a really crispy steak fry. I find that shoes strings are good, but many places mess them up by turning them into dried potato shells. For fast food, I would probably take KFC as it actually looks and tastes as if it came from a potato. I also like the seasoning on it. What I am getting at is many stories only focus on one type of fry (as many people do) and miss out a lot on the fry universe.

Anyway, when I am jonesing for fries in DC Bistro du Coin is not the place I salivate for. Their steak and frites are good, but not outstanding and the place is always overly crowded.
sk bob
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/01/31 22:28:05
MY opinion of the BEST ff in america would be: fresh cut potatos at the infield consession stand at Lebanon valley Speedway in New York. $2. per order. 3 oders would fill a cardboard carier. + salt & ketchup. THE BEST.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/01 00:00:11
Jack's Fries sold at the State Fair of Texas is always a must eat for me when I go. They have been around for 50 yrs. or so. I like all kinds of fries though.
Joe
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/01 00:04:31
Nathan's...consistantly unique and different from most bland fries...and YES, MacDonald's is terrible and bland. Sad to think anyone would think they made the best anything!!!!!
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/01 09:58:48
Ishkabibble's in Philadelphia? I had never heard of that place before. As far as I am concerned, the pommes frites served at Monk's in Philly are the country's best.
nicolem
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/01 10:38:17
Two of my favorites are Al's French Fries in Burlington, Vermont. I also like Cuppers on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights. NJ.
Nicole
sk bob
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/04 21:59:22
Nathans where? coney island where the cut the spuds fresh , or a mall or rest area place where they're frozen?
Oneiron339
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/05 07:11:06
Fink's Famous French Fries at Root's Market in E. Petersburg, PA
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/05 12:29:16
Thrashers in Rehobeth Beach Del. and Ocean City Md.It's all they sell, nutin else.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/05 12:34:04
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Ishkabibble's in Philadelphia? I had never heard of that place before. As far as I am concerned, the pommes frites served at Monk's in Philly are the country's best.

They have a spanish french fry-it's fried with onions.hot peppers-they best fries I have ever had(non traditional)
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/05 12:38:14
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

These lists are so ridiculous. Their criteria certainly wasn't to find the "best". They obviously wanted to highlight every area of the country. One of their choices is not even made from potatoes, how could they be the best french fries in the country?

I agree with you, but they do get folks thinking and talking about the food, trying to remember where they had the best fries, and maybe going to one of the places mentioned, if close by (or maybe not so close, for the Roadfoodies!).

At least they did not include McDonald's.
divefl
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/05 12:43:18
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Nathan's...consistantly unique and different from most bland fries...and YES, MacDonald's is terrible and bland. Sad to think anyone would think they made the best anything!!!!!

They make the best McGriddle! The mcgriddles are horrible, but they make the best of them.
Slim Strummer
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/05 12:51:03
In 'n Out is overrated for fries. If in LA, Father's Office in Santa Monica makes great fries (the burgers there are worth a topic of their own).
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/05 18:06:40
Best fries I've had in quite some time were from Hillsboro General Store Cafe in Hillsboro, NM along with a pretty good GCCB.

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/05 18:47:11
I'd go from one extreme to the other:

Nathan's Famous at Coney Island (Krinkle Cut) or Cafe Bruxelles on Greenwich Ave, NYC (Belgian)
daytrader106
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/17 04:40:58
I guess I am out of place. I like a fast food company for the best fries.

Rally's!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/02/17 07:39:05
There's a place on the boardwalk in Pt. Pleasant that cuts and fries their own. Great! Forgot the name. Maybe someone who frequents our Jersey shore remembers!
justtable
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/03 10:49:36
I happen to love the large seasoned potato wedges at Lee's famous recipe chicken. The wedges are as rhick as a cigar, obviously baked and then battered and fried.....dee-lish-ous!!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=5331&RefID=5231
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/03 10:56:40
In & Out-no, unless you ask for extra crispy.
Arthur Bryant's are the ones I look back on fondly.
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/03 11:02:23
Nathan's in Coney Island; as their sign says, "peel 'em, cut 'em, cook 'em". Was there yesterday (3/3) even with the place jammed to the doors, and staff working furiously, the fries and dogs were outstanding.
Also, don't forget All American in Massapequa. Thicker than the average fast food fry, like Nathan's, fresh cut and fresh cooked. Get 'em a little well done, with a 'double double' burger and you're in fry heaven.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/03 12:27:48
quote:
Originally posted by Extreme Glow

Best fries I've had in quite some time were from Hillsboro General Store Cafe in Hillsboro, NM along with a pretty good GCCB.

This is good to know, seeing that I will be passing through Hillsboro within the next month. There are only two restaurants in town, and I heard one of them is going to close. I hope it's not this one!
Holly Moore
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/03 13:12:10
Benardi's in Huron Ohio. For years they had the fry concession at Cedar Point Amusement Park. Those were the best fries ever. They don't anymore, but the ones at their restaurant in Huron come close.

Sneetch
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/05 19:38:02
there is a concession at the Englishtown Flea Market in NJ (i think it's in the grey building) - they have been there forever, and all they sell is fresh cut french fries, orangeade or lemonade...they are, hands down, the best fries i ever tasted! people line up, give their orders to the cheerful guy behind the counter, and wait patiently for the latest batch of fries to get cooked...the counter guy always remembers what you ordered, no matter how long the line is (and it gets VERY long!)...these crispy gems come with a little bit of skin on so you can tell they were hand-peeled - the veil of salt that gets sprinkled on them hot out of the fryer is all they need! don't know the name, but anyone at the market should be able to point you in the right direction...
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/06 07:48:53
Oh wow,I love the Englishtown Flee market. Also some great food treats there. In the 60's the Sausage Man had a stand and sold awesome Italian sausage sandwiches. The line was often 30-40 people long!!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/09 12:56:57
The Boston Globe website has an interesting article about cooks trying to make the best fries.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2008/03/05/any_way_you_fry_it/
pekarekj
Junior Burger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/09 13:36:55
That would be Berardi's (not Bernardi's) in Huron and Sandusky.
cementhead
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/09 13:52:17
Fink's french fries are very good.I believe they have a stand at Green Dragon Farmers Market.Also have seen them at some of the local fairs.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/09 14:07:32
Had those at the Green Dragon Market...delicious!
PIZZAKING
Junior Burger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/24 22:25:31
Best fries in Chicago area, Poochies, Weiner's Circle, and Stosh's.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/26 15:00:21
For a chain, I'd probably go with Nathan's, although they are quite inconsistant.

Best - Without a doubt - are at Al's in Burlington, VT.

Worst without a doubt - it's a tie between Arbies & Burger King.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/26 15:25:20
Arthur Bryant's are right up there..Bill Voss is right on the $$. Cooked in lard. They present a real problem to anyone eating at AB's because they fill up your stomach and make it very hard to finish one of their one pound meat sandwiches. I still regret not being able to finish my half of a brisket sandwich and short end rib sandwich because I could not stop eating those fries!

But, I'm going to have to vote for my former competitor in Pittsburgh..The Original or the "Dirty O" as it's called by the locals for best french fry. Fried in peanut oil using the best high recovery fryers (Keatings) in the business(IMHO)and served in quantities that are hard to believe. It is impossible to walk away from that counter without some of those mountainous overflowing fries falling someplace. They are classic.

There is supposed to be a great Belgium style pomme frite store on 2nd Avenue in the East Village in NYC. Never been there, but heard it was great. I read where they fry their potatoes at two different temperatures to get a unique texture. Lots of unusual toppings to go with them. In Vancouver, they had a place jsut like it and that one was real good. But, not as good as the original's in Pittsburgh.
CLVdog
Hamburger
RE: Best French Fries In America? 2008/03/29 23:39:59
As to French Fries at The Green Dragon I haven't tried Finks yet but can swear that Newswanger's in the same market has the best FFs by far that I've ever tasted. Great with one of their sausage sandwiches.