What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings?

Navy_Brat913
  • Total Posts : 179
  • Reward points : 0
What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Fri, 01/25/08 11:50 PM
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm making subs/hoagies tomorrow night, and would love to play around with toppings. I tend to use: lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, kalamata olives, banana peppers and oil and vinegar. Sometimes spicy mustard instead of oil & vinegar. I am not a big fan of mayo, but I am always open to suggestion with condiments and veggies.

I am starting with a good, fresh sourdough roll, and the lunchmeats are pepperoni, ham and genoa salami. Cheese is thinly sliced provolone. Any suggestions or favorites are welcome:)

Navy_Brat913
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Sat, 01/26/08 12:08 AM
Making for my parents ham, turkey and pepperjack, so looking for suggestions on that as well:)

Frankman
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Sat, 01/26/08 12:17 AM
I try and keep it simple. I drizzle the bread with exv olive oil then put on the meat, cheese, lettuce, (only ripe tomato in summer) and roasted reds. Maybe green pepper and black olive if I'm hungry. Always crushed black pepper.
Sometimes I'll stick the bun or roll in the oven with just the oil and meat to let the meat juices sweat into the bread . Then top with cheese and melt. Take it out and put on the cold veggies.
One of my favs is turkey with lettuce, roasted reds, and drizzled with exv olive oil, crushed black pepper.

njkim
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Sat, 01/26/08 12:44 AM
That combo sounds yummy, and I would put some roasted red peppers on there. The ones in garlic olive oil, not vinegar.
Kim

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17851
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Sat, 01/26/08 3:02 AM
No lettuce or tomato. Genoa salami, (hot) capacolla ham, mortadella, provolone cheese, roasted red peppers, sliced Kalamata olives, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Remove some of the crumb to make room for the filling. Then douse the cut sides of a sub bun with a good olive oil, sprinkle with the oregano, then put the meat, cheese, peppers, olives, pepper and salt in place and wrap the sub in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour. Then serve.

johnnymolson
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Sat, 01/26/08 4:18 AM
I like a super sub with genoa salami, provolone, roast beef, turkey breast, capicolla ham, and pastrami. Top that with mustard and mayo, then finely shredded lettuce. A drizzle of italian dressing comes next, followed by a sprinkle pepper. A layer of ripe tomato slices dusted with parmesan cheese is the finishing touch.

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Sun, 01/27/08 10:46 AM
I make a chopped olive salad using different kinds of olives, garlic, white wine vinegar and olive oil, like they put on muffalettas. My daughter eats it by itself sometimes instead of putting it on a sandwich.

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3095
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Sun, 01/27/08 11:00 AM
If you're not crazy about the taste of mayo itself, you might enjoy it more if you add a little something to it. Horseradish, minced chipotle in adobo, fresh ginger and wasabi paste are just a few things I've used to kick mayo up a bit.

Jaybird1000
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Mon, 01/28/08 3:19 PM
In the late seventies, I had a sub/hogie at a place
called Moe's in Portsmith New Hampshire.
Anyone know if it still exists?
Best I've ever eaten.
Someone mentioned that he franchised??

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Wed, 01/30/08 1:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Navy_Brat913

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm making subs/hoagies tomorrow night, and would love to play around with toppings. I tend to use: lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, kalamata olives, banana peppers and oil and vinegar. Sometimes spicy mustard instead of oil & vinegar.

I'm not a fan of vegetables on my sandwiches; olives (black & related) and mushrooms are about the only things I'll add to the meat and cheese. But I do love to load up on the condiments like oil & vinegar, a slight drizzle of yellow mustard, oregano, parmesan/romano cheese (freshly grated is always nice), pepper, etc.

Brad

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Thu, 01/31/08 5:51 PM
I like hot pepper relish on mine-or sweet..doesnt matter......They did that at most of the sub shops, and a couple restaurants in the Yarmouth/Freeport area of Maine when I lived there.
Had never seen it before.
One of the shops gave me a bottle because I was so enthralled with it.

This is the one place where I first had it..

Pat's Pizza..
http://www.maineyouthsports.com/pats/ourstory.htm

If you look at their menu, and click sanwiches, at the top, its says hot pepper relish can be added...

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Fri, 02/1/08 2:33 AM
I prefer a baked sub out of a pizza shack.. Pizza style, the more toppings the better (and don't forget them banana peppers). I don't really care for cold subs, or them Blimpie or Subway style ones... Well, you got my 2 pennies worth of input.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
RE: What Are Your Fave Hoagie/Sub Toppings? - Sun, 02/10/08 9:24 AM
The works on mine, especially hot and sweet peppers,pimento,olives and,if possible balsamic vinegar on the lettace and olive oil!