Nopales Cactus - how to use?

repartee
  • Total Posts : 111
  • Reward points : 0
Nopales Cactus - how to use? - Tue, 01/29/08 2:41 AM
I bought a package of nopales cactus in brine.

Any ideas on how to use them. I guess I could make a salad with tomatoes and olives but any other ideas?

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Nopales Cactus - how to use? - Tue, 01/29/08 3:50 AM
I put nopalitos in chili.

repartee
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Nopales Cactus - how to use? - Tue, 01/29/08 6:10 AM
Thanks enginecapt. I wonder how you make your chilli though. I usually do the chilli con carne standard. Can you give me your recipe?

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Nopales Cactus - how to use? - Tue, 01/29/08 6:43 AM
I don't have a recipe. It's just somma dis and somma dat. If I had one I'd be happy to give it to you.

Sometimes I use hamburger, sometimes I use stewing beef, sometimes I use venison. But I always use lots of powdered cumin, New Mexico chile powder, whole dried chile peppers, El Pato red chile sauce and fresh pulped garlic.

I also add a bottle of Pico Pica red sauce, some Mexican oregano, some epazote, nopalitos, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, some habanero for heat, and at least two bottles of Pyramid Hefeweizen beer.

I always add pinto beans and some of the pot liquor they were cooked in. To tighten the mixture up I'll toss in some masa about 30 minutes prior to serving.

My chili is heavily spiced and not for everyone. You can still taste it hours after eating it.

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Nopales Cactus - how to use? - Tue, 01/29/08 9:10 AM
I have never used the ones in a jar. The fresh I have diced sauted and scrambled with eggs. Made a stew with tomatoes, onions, chilies and spices as a sidedish. I have seen them boiled with salt whole, then drained diced and layered in a casserole dish alternating with a cooked salsa and cheese. I have been wanting to cut them into strips bread and fry them but I haven't had a chance. They get slime on them like okra so I don't know that will turn out.

joe