Chile toast con queso

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
Chile toast con queso - Wed, 01/30/08 2:21 AM
I know this might not sound like breakfast, but it works for me. Francisco brand sourdough, the one shaped like a football. This stuff holds up pretty well, it's sturdy. I toast a piece lightly on one side, and a little more so on the other (in a toaster oven). Then, I toss grated Tillamook cheddar on the more toasted side, along with chopped, freshly roasted serrano peppers, (one large one, or two small), chopped ripe olive, and maybe a little chopped green onion. Then put it back in the oven, the less toasted side (the bottom) finishes, and the cheese melts. These are the same items I throw into my scrambled eggs, but I add Tabasco as well there. The serranos are what really make this toast work for me. I've given up on canned jalapenos. As I side dish for the eggs, I really like tater tots. They are basically compact hash-browns.
-Scott Lindgren

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
RE: Chile toast con queso - Wed, 01/30/08 6:15 AM
Sounds good...but way to much work for me at breakfast time.

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Chile toast con queso - Wed, 01/30/08 10:20 AM
Gosh that sounds so good. Wish I had it for breakfast this am instead of a handful of wheat thinks and a diet Dew.

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Chile toast con queso - Wed, 01/30/08 10:21 AM
Woops, I ment Wheat Thins

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Chile toast con queso - Thu, 01/31/08 3:17 AM
To myterry2: Well, it's not that much work. Grate the cheddar ahead of time. You are only roasting a single serrano pepper, you can do that while the toaster is doing its job, takes about two minutes. This can be done while the coffee is brewing. I use olives every day, I don't even use a knife, just bust 'em up with my fingers, who cares what they look like? The green onion is just cut up, not cooked, again, super easy.
This is my "lazy" breakfast. It's a lot less work than cooking off bacon, then scrambling eggs, then cooking some kind of potato. That would be the full-bore brekkers. I'm talking about a piece of toast here, baby!
-Scott