Happy Joe's & Harris Pizza

Junior Burger
2008/01/31 20:39:31
Does anyone out there love Happy Joe's and Harris pizza as much as I do?? Both are located in Davenport, Iowa (and around the Quad Cities area). To me Happy Joes have the best Taco Pizza while Harris has the best sausage and mushroom!
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
RE: Happy Joe's & Harris Pizza 2008/02/10 15:40:44
I recall Happy Joes from living in Grinell.
Its one of those regional businesses that hasn't been able to successfully expand. On the south side of Milwaukee is a former Happy Joes (the distinctive exterior is the giveaway) but it has not been a Happy Joes since the mid-80s.
dougmose
Junior Burger
RE: Happy Joe's & Harris Pizza 2008/02/18 16:38:40
for my money, the real king of "Quad-Cities-style" pizza is Frank's pizza in Silvis, Illinois (and now Bettendorf).

Happy Joe's is an ok enough place -- but despite its idiosyncratic toppings (like Taco Pizza), it really isn't something new. It's just a typical midwest-style thin-crust (like in St. Louis or Chicago) pizza with unusual topping choices.

However, Frank's and Harris' pizza are an entirely different animal: their delicious, bread-like think crust pizza is similar to the thin crust pies made in NY and the east coast, but the way they cut their pies, and -- especially -- the way the sausage is appled in an even layer -- make them a unique style of pizza that I've never seen anywhere else in the U.S.

They really merit a visit from Jane & Michael -- and perhaps some investigation on how this style of pizza was born.