Potato Pizza

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6071
  • Reward points : 0
Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 7:26 AM
Here me out,before you laugh..
In Italy the most interesting pizza I ever had was a potato pizza.
It consisted of pizza dough topped with thin shoe-string style potatoes(another place used very thin sliced potatoes)lots of olive oil..rosemary,salt and lots of pepper.
Yeah,I know..starch on starch....put when I tried a slice,almost as a joke, it was delicious. Got my local pizzaria to tr making one and what he called "Lee's Pizza" sold well. Before you give it that thumbs down....give it a try!!! What do you think?

jimsock9
  • Total Posts : 285
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 7:32 AM
Sounds tasty but it's not pizza, to me.

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 7:35 AM

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 7:39 AM

I worked at a popular restaurant that was doing pizza with potatoes as part of their repetoire. They still sell it. I loved it and it was also my first taste of a white pizza.
It consisted of sliced potaoes, artichokes, fontina and proscuitto. The herbs and seasonings were the same as you mentioned.

There is a local restaurant nearby that offers potatoes on the pizza, but their pizza isn't that good. I guess that I am going to have to do this myself.

mark

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2201
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 8:09 AM
I'm with Lee on this one. I tried making potato pizza a couple of weeks ago and it came out great. The recipe is at the end of[url='http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6010.0.html']this[/url] thread on pizzamaking.com. pb (Art)

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 8:28 AM
Olive oil, potatoes, rosemary... sounds good to me.

Lee, were the potatoes crispy? Do you know whether they were pre-cooked?

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 9:10 AM
Funny you should mention potato pizza.. Seen an article this morning on "Pizza not what it used to be" in Muncies Star Press (and the potato one was on top of the list): http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080203/LIFESTYLE/802030330

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 9:18 AM
MiamiDon,
Not sure about the pre-cooked! They were a little crispy,but NOT like french fries or potato chips,softer. Of the two cuts of potato,I liked the thin slices better,but both are great. Try it Pizza lovers. But please...NO TOMATO sauce on this one

wabbitslayer
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 9:22 AM
There's a chain here in GA that offers potato pizza...ranch dressing on a pizza crust topped w/ paper thin potatoes, cheddar and bacon.

It's about the only thing I'll eat at the place, it's a buffet type targeted for kids, the regular pizza really is not good. However, it's got me motivated to make one w/ some better quality ingredients to see what happens...

brickie
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 9:56 AM

FrankBooth
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 10:16 AM
Sally's in New Haven, one of the stars in the apizza firmament, has had a potato pizza on the menu since Flo and family came back from a trip to Italy a few years ago. we were test subjects for it in an early incarnation and it was spectacular from the get go. not pizza? who cares- it's delicious... a Sally's potato pie is super simple- potatoes, olive oil, rosemary, and maybe a bit of parmesan. delicious! and with that Sally's super crust and super snarky oven, it's unstoppable... enjoy fb

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4712
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/3/08 5:22 PM
I've never had a pizza like those that've been described but I like all of the mentioned ingredients, so I can't see why I wouldn't want to at least try it.

However, not to completely hijack the thread but when I first saw the topic my initial thought was that it was going to be about pizza dough made with potato flour. Any idea how that might work?

Brad

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/4/08 2:41 AM
This is a potato pizza that I love and makes for a great walking food.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4443
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Here me out,before you laugh..
In Italy the most interesting pizza I ever had was a potato pizza.
It consisted of pizza dough topped with thin shoe-string style potatoes(another place used very thin sliced potatoes)lots of olive oil..rosemary,salt and lots of pepper.
Yeah,I know..starch on starch....put when I tried a slice,almost as a joke, it was delicious. Got my local pizzaria to tr making one and what he called "Lee's Pizza" sold well. Before you give it that thumbs down....give it a try!!! What do you think?

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/4/08 8:47 AM
Lleechef, I think the sliced potato pizza you described sounds great. Pizza does not have to stick to red sauce and pepperoni to be pizza. I've had a similar pizza and thought is was wonderful. The only difference was my pizza had a little bit of red onion on it.

NebGuy
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/4/08 10:28 AM
A few pizza joints in my area have been doing a double crust potato pizza as long as I can remember. Thin crust on the top and bottom, hamburger, onion, cubes of cooked tater, sauce and cheese. They cut them in squares you can eat like a sandwich.

Not pizza in some peoples minds? Don't care. It's good eating.

baughman
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Potato Pizza - Wed, 02/6/08 2:26 PM
I have never had a pizza with slices or chunks of potato on it, but i have had mashed potatos on pizza.
I use to order from a local guy who unfortunately closed several years ago. He made a pizza with a ton ( 3 inches) of mashed potatos, bacon, cheddar. It was so good. He used a garlic butter sauce as the base.

bakman_01570
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Potato Pizza - Wed, 02/6/08 2:46 PM
mmm. that sounds good with garlic butter base.
The potatoe pizza I've had before was actually somewhat of a thin base of mashed potatoes on top of regular pizza sauce and dough. It had crumbled bacon on top of potatoes. I enjoyed it much more than my wife but at the same time, I'm sure it wasn't as good as some of the other potatoe pizzas on this post

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Fri, 02/8/08 6:05 PM
baughman,
That's an interesting variation...sounds like I got to try that one!

uncledaveyo
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Potato Pizza - Fri, 02/8/08 7:06 PM
Yeah, something that's pretty common in Italy is "not pizza." What do those people know about Pizza?

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Fri, 02/8/08 7:49 PM
uncledaveyo,
Explain your post. What does your comment mean???????

tacchino
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Potato Pizza - Fri, 02/8/08 8:43 PM
I too enjoyed the potato pizza in Italy, but had the thinly sliced potatoes instead of shoestring potatoes.

Those who worry about the starch on starch effect shouldn't worry...with the rosemary and olive oil, it gives a delicious combinations of flavors...and this can also be enjoyed at room temperature, too.

Toasted bread crumbs as a topping on pasta is not that uncommon in certain recipes in Italy, too, so various starch combinations such as these can been seen elsewhere.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Potato Pizza - Fri, 02/8/08 9:57 PM
Sounds like a treat to me!

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Fri, 02/8/08 10:05 PM
You reminded me of a food treat I had in Italy: The bread crumbs on Pasta. Not strange at all.Great taste and nice texture!

NebGuy
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Potato Pizza - Sat, 02/9/08 10:21 AM
quote:

You reminded me of a food treat I had in Italy: The bread crumbs on Pasta. Not strange at all.Great taste and nice texture!

That started with the peasants as a substitute for cheese which was too expensive for many of them to use regularly.

Jeep2000
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/17/08 11:00 AM
There is a local restaurant in the Peoria, IL area called Fedora's that makes potato pizza. I think there are only a couple of locations left.
I haven't had it in years, but I remember it was almost addictive and very delicious!

Kenny da Fat Man
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/17/08 11:49 AM
This is different than your potato pizza - but we have a microbrewery here in Pittsburgh called Chuch Brew Works (converted church - great ambiance). They make "Pierogi Pizza". It is pizza dough slathered with a concoction of mashed potatoes, sauteed onions and cheddar cheese, then baked to gooey perfection. It's a delicious dish - but to me - it ain't pizza. But none the less, it's great with beer!

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/17/08 2:16 PM
No Kenny...it's not Margherita or plain pizza, as you know it...but it IS pizza!!!!

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/17/08 11:33 PM
The Grandaisy Bakery on Sullivan Street in NY (formerly known as the Sullivan Street Bakery) makes a thin crust bakery style potato with anchovie pizza that is delicious beyond belief. Here's a pic of their Potato and onion:

and their Funghi: Crimini Mushrooms, onion and thyme:

and theirPizza Cavofiore: Pizza with cauliflour with gruyere cheese

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/18/08 9:14 AM
Pigiron,

That's it!!!! That's what I was so use to seeing in Italy. That's the Potato pie...and I'm sure I tried most of the others. I did my own Pizza tour of Italy. And because so many places in Rome(especially) sold by the weight and I could have them cut small pieces(that's another thread!!!) I got to try everything!

NewEnglandBites
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/18/08 6:21 PM
Mmm, I had a delicious mashed potato pizza back in November. It was called a "pizza bianco" and I had it at Chardonnay's in Seekonk, MA. It came highly recommended by a fan. Anyway, I posted a pic of it here: - SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! It had real mashed potatoes plopped on top of a white pizza flavored with garlic, rosemary, and oil. YUM!!!

Laura
NewEnglandBites.com
<message edited by NewEnglandBites on Sun, 08/22/10 11:12 AM>

uncledaveyo
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/18/08 8:16 PM
Sorry Leethebard: had not looked at this thread for awhile. What I was saying is that people in Italy probably know something about Pizza. It was a defense of the whole potato concept.

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/18/08 10:35 PM
Gotcha,understand...sorry, and thanks...it IS a great pizza!!

porkbeaks
RE: Potato Pizza - Sat, 02/23/08 10:21 PM
I had a hankerin' for some tater pizza tonight and (for once) actually remembered to take a few pics. It was pretty darn good if I do say so myself. pb

Here's a 18 oz. dough ball made with 2/3 King Arthur Bread Flour and 1/3 KA All-Purpose Flour - 8 oz. shredded Polly-O mozz (1/2 whole milk and 1/2 part skim) - Penzey's garlic salt - good quality evoo - 1 oz. each grated Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano - 2 Red Bliss potatoes sliced thin on a mandoline and blanched for about 2-3 minutes

Assembled with the addition of a few sliced black olives.

Hot out of a 550 oven. Cooked for about 8 minutes

Somewhat out of focus (upskirt) shot

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/24/08 8:19 AM
Porkbeats,
You're a pro! That looks great...similar to what I've had in Italy...Might I suggest rosemary sprinkled on top..and some course ground black pepper! Also good with shoestring style potatoes

porkbeaks
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 02/24/08 5:01 PM
quote:

Porkbeats,
You're a pro! That looks great...similar to what I've had in Italy...Might I suggest rosemary sprinkled on top..and some course ground black pepper! Also good with shoestring style potatoes

I took your suggestion and reheated the remaining 1/3 with the addition of some rosemary and some fresh ground pepper. Very good. It added some missing "zip". Thanks, pb

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/25/08 5:46 AM
Anytime. Glad you liked it. It's one of the great little known secrets of Italy's pizza. Oh,if we could get more pizzareias to spread the word> Love that pizza!

acornlover
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/25/08 6:53 AM
At "Crazy Doughs" in Harvard square they have a :

"Potato Bacon Cheddar A sauce less pie topped with mozzarella,
seasoned red bliss potato, smoked bacon, finished with scallions and
freshly shredded cheddar. Best served with Ranch dressing on top
or on the side. A real satisfier. "

It is really good

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/25/08 8:14 AM
Wow....i LOKE that...that's one I'm gonna try. Thanks for sharing that one! I hpe Davydd who posts the Saturday Night pizza thread is monitoring these ideas! Got some good saturday night ideas for you here!!!

qwerty79
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/25/08 8:36 AM
Pizzeria Uno has a potato skin pizza appetizer that is fantastic! Although it's not exactly the potato pizza everyone is talking about, if you are ever at pizzeria uno, try it! It's a deep dish crust filled with mashed red potatoes with bacon, sour cream and cheese on top. I think they even sell it in the supermarket. I know I bought one at BJ's awhile ago. When I go to Uno's I usually order it as a meal just for myself.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 02/25/08 9:51 AM
Looks great porkbeaks. I had never thought about a potato pizza before. I may have to give it a try soon. True, I am running out of ideas to try.

uppdoc
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 03/3/08 12:33 AM
I just visited family in Italy and had potato pizza. I was in a tiny mountain village called Atina. When I first saw the pizza I thought it was covered with yellow squash, but it was just very yellow thin slices of potato. Delicious! If I knew how to upload a picture, I would.

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 03/3/08 5:28 AM
Haven't been back to Italy in a few years...but it spunds like the potato pizza is getting around!!

davidbas
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Potato Pizza - Wed, 03/5/08 1:11 PM
OMG, Yes potato pizza is deliciuos >) I go to the Clam Diggers all the time, its a restaurant/bar off the river in Monroe Michigan, Its great!

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Potato Pizza - Wed, 03/5/08 2:57 PM
looks great pb! The addition of rosemary and black pepper sounds perfect!

justtable
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Potato Pizza - Sun, 05/11/08 4:13 PM
I used to get a pie know as the Brooklyn Pie in a little shop in Huntington (north shore Long Island) Potato chunks kinda like home fries.....not as browned....onion, bacon and mozzerella....rosemary and olive oil...I would kill for one of those.

leethebard
RE: Potato Pizza - Fri, 05/16/08 2:02 PM
Anybody else out there know a pizza place serving potato pizza???...If you find one try it....if it has the olive oil,salt,pepper and rosemary,it's a taste treat!!!!.... Really.

Earl of Sandwich
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Potato Pizza - Mon, 05/19/08 5:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by baughman

I have never had a pizza with slices or chunks of potato on it, but i have had mashed potatos on pizza.
I use to order from a local guy who unfortunately closed several years ago. He made a pizza with a ton ( 3 inches) of mashed potatos, bacon, cheddar. It was so good. He used a garlic butter sauce as the base.

Seems to me there was a pizza joint in Lebanon, OH a few years ago that made a very similar style pizza that was quite good.