Greek food questions.

not the phantom gourmet
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
Greek food questions. - Sun, 02/3/08 3:33 PM
Were stuffed grape leaves called dolmades or yaprikia in your house?It was always yaprikia in mine.Also,does anyone have a recipe for tighanites? My mother and grandmother used to make these fried dough and cheese treats and nobody in my family seems to remember how to do it.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Greek food questions. - Sun, 02/3/08 4:27 PM
Dolmades, by the married in Greek family members.

caratzas
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: Greek food questions. - Mon, 02/4/08 8:37 PM
Dolmadhes. My family is from Lemnos, in case anybody's tracking regionality. Where is your family from?

And I've never heard of tighanites as you've described them (the word just means "fried things" or, I guess a better translation would be "fritters") but they sound good. Keep us posted if your research returns a recipe. I'd start by looking at regional-specific sources, as people from different islands or regions can have different names for the same things and the same name for different things.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Greek food questions. - Mon, 02/4/08 9:18 PM
Dearfolk,
I've never heard them referred to by any name other than dolmades. They even show up on a few diner menus in Atlanta, homemade.
That other name (yaprikia) may be a reflection of Greek culture having arrived at other places through the highways of the Adriatic and/or Mediterranean. The cuisine of Trieste, for example, features locally-loved items that don't exist anywhere else... an amalgam of locally-available ingredients with dozens of outside cultural influences.
This might be akin to a customer at Copper Creek Brewing who comes in periodically and orders their Filipino-style eggrolls, calling them "limpia." He was stationed there and fell in love with the place and its people and cuisine.
And in spite of its name, no eatery that I've ever encountered here in Athens, Georgia serves dolmades. Go figure.
Don't Dol Away Mad, Ort. Carlton, Well-Stuffed in Athens, Georgia.

caratzas
RE: Greek food questions. - Mon, 02/4/08 9:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
That other name (yaprikia) may be a reflection of Greek culture having arrived at other places through the highways of the Adriatic and/or Mediterranean.

"Yaprakia" is a not-uncommon Greek synonym. Just like "dolmades" it's a Hellenization of a Turkish name for the dish (One Turkish name for stuffed grape leaves is "Yaprak Dolma," though technically "dolma" means "stuffed" rather than "wrapped." And, you guessed it, "Yaprak" means "leaf.") I read somewhere that the island of Chios is one spot where "yaprakia" is the common Greek term.

It's not too far a stretch for "yaprakia" to become "yaprikia," either due to a slight regional variation or mishearing carried forward over the years.

Extra Credit: Other Greek food terms adopted from Turkish include "baklava," "tzatziki," "moussaka," "keftedhes" (meatballs) and "pilafi" (pilaf) and that's just scratching the surface. For extra, extra credit, "kefte" and "pilaf" come to Turkish from Persian, as do a lot of the food terms in the area ranging from the Near East to the Indian Subcontinent.

not the phantom gourmet
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Greek food questions. - Tue, 02/5/08 5:55 PM
Thanks,actually I misspelled it.It is yaprakia and my people were from Samos and Mytelini (Lesvos) both a stones throw from Turkey.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Greek food questions. - Tue, 02/5/08 6:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

This might be akin to a customer at Copper Creek Brewing who comes in periodically and orders their Filipino-style eggrolls, calling them "limpia."
Are you sure he isn't saying "lumpia"?

caratzas
RE: Greek food questions. - Tue, 02/5/08 11:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by not the phantom gourmet

Thanks,actually I misspelled it.It is yaprakia and my people were from Samos and Mytelini (Lesvos) both a stones throw from Turkey.

My grandfather was from Mytelini -- we're practically related! And Lemnos is right around the corner. Both were parts of Turkey well into the 20th century.

So, what do you stuff your yaprakia/dolmades with? In different parts of Greece and Turkey you'll see different fillings. Ours always had ground meat (keema -- another Persian word brought into Greek through Turkey) and rice, flavored with mint.