Knishes

Post
leethebard
Sirloin
2008/02/04 14:09:13
Living here in the New York/New Jersey corridor, we get so much great food of the world!
A favorite of this Italian is the not-so-Italian Knish--that Jewish Potato delight...sold evrywhere, even at Yankee Stadium.
My question: On the roadways of America,how often do you come in cntact with this great treat? How many of you have NEVER had one. Just curious.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Knishes 2008/02/04 15:13:33
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Living here in the New York/New Jersey corridor, we get so much great food of the world!
A favorite of this Italian is the not-so-Italian Knish--that Jewish Potato delight...sold evrywhere, even at Yankee Stadium.
My question: On the roadways of America,how often do you come in cntact with this great treat? How many of you have NEVER had one. Just curious.


My personal answer is Never. In addition I have never enjoyed this treat.

Paul E. Smith
knxoville, TN
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/04 15:21:55
Coney Island/split with deli mustard!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/02/04 15:44:50
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Living here in the New York/New Jersey corridor, we get so much great food of the world!
A favorite of this Italian is the not-so-Italian Knish--that Jewish Potato delight...sold evrywhere, even at Yankee Stadium.
My question: On the roadways of America,how often do you come in cntact with this great treat? How many of you have NEVER had one. Just curious.


Hah! Knishes in middle America? Surly you jest. Central Market in Dallas sold them (imported from NYC) when they first opened. They no longer sell them. Not enough sales.
I love potato the best. And, the best of the best were baked by my late, Russian born (Jewish) grandmother.
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/04 15:54:49
The knish. One of the greatest things on earth to eat!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Knishes 2008/02/04 17:29:57
Sadly, even in a major city like Chicago, with all its varied ethnic food options, the knish is a rare sight.

Buddy
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/04 17:45:07
Never seen one for sale - would love to try it!
mar52
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/02/05 00:02:48
What is my pleasure?

What is my knish wish?

POTATO!

Living in Los Angeles and being Jewish...

You betcha!
ernieson
Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/13 15:25:37
I love knishes, but they are impossible to get most places in the US. (They occasionally have a frozen one, but these are not good.) I have long considered making a home version, using filo instead of the usual knish dough. It would be 1) easier (no dough to make) 2) lighter, but hopefully with the same knishness I miss. What do you knish lover's think? Is it worth trying?
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/13 15:31:53
What's the diffrence between a knish and a pierogie?
tmizerek
Hamburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/13 15:53:43
quote:
Originally posted by exsquidao

What's the diffrence between a knish and a pierogie?



One's Jewish, the other's Polish/Ukraine
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/02/13 16:10:35
And they're not even remotely the same!! a knish is like a potato patty(Sort of) and a pierogie is like a ravioli filled with potato or sometimes other stuff...not at all the same in looks or taste or in the way they're served and eaten...in other words different. Maybe some of the roadfooders who cut and paste well can download a knish photo. By the way,they are heaven!!!!
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/13 16:23:26
While purists swear by the "round" knish (the baked kind that you can find at Yonah Shimmels), I am partial to the "square" knish, which is fried, preferably split down the middle and slathered with mustard.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Knishes 2008/02/13 18:04:33
Ah for the knishes of my youth. Beautiful gems filled with the most scrumptious chopped liver and made by my Aunt Mae Coleman.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Knishes 2008/02/13 20:17:14
quote:
Originally posted by tmizerek

quote:
Originally posted by exsquidao

What's the diffrence between a knish and a pierogie?
One's Jewish, the other's Polish/Ukraine
What, they don't have Jews in Poland or the Ukraine?

Buddy
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/02/13 20:23:39
Mr.Hoffman-would have died for your your Aunts knishes-had a friends Mom who made them with chopped liver, also.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Knishes 2008/02/13 20:26:37
I haven't even heard of them in years. The ones Aunt Mae made had a flaky crust -- not a heavy-as-lead one like those things they sell commercially. And in truth, she wasn't my aunt. She was a close friend of my grandmother, and we called her Aunt Mae.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/02/14 07:42:38
Yes, those knishes were from my childhood.Havent had any in 35+years...
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/14 20:47:22
I've seen them in Baltimore & Akron, OH but nowhere else that I can recall. What a shame.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Knishes 2008/02/15 20:16:13
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

Hah! Knishes in middle America? Surly you jest.


Every supermarket in both Northern CA and southern AZ where I shop carries frozen ones. Nowhere near as good as the real thing in NYC, I admit, but they aren't unheard of.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Knishes 2008/02/15 20:28:50
For those of you yearning for a knish and planning a trip to NYC, the mecca of the knish is actually right down the street (Houston) from Katz's Deli:







There seems to be a debate on Chowhound as to whether there aren't better knishes to be found elsewhere in NYC these days, but this is kind of the old original Lower East side place.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/16 00:04:52
Where Goest the Knish?

We all have our Proustian memories of the great foods that were part and parcel of our youth. Some have survived and are every bit as good as they originally were, and, alas, some have not.

Sadly, of all the great old staples of bygone days, favorites from all ethnic groups, the knish has suffered most in the bumpy, misinterpreted transition to modern times. In fact, there are things being called knishes that have not even an iota of similarity to what was called a knish, say, 40 years ago.

At the zenith of its gastronomic glory in the middle of the 20th Century, the knish, as served at those two great bastions of Knishdom (Cohen's Knishes, Newark, N.J., and Gershberg's Kosher Caterers, Philadelphia, Pa.) it was not quite an orb, but more beanbag/sandbag in shape, about the diameter of a medium-sized dinner roll. Basic fillings were potato, kasha and chopped liver. If you couldn't decide which kind to have, your best bet was to have all three.

I echo Mr. Hoffman in noting that the crust was flaky, and add that said exterior shell in its better permutations was almost croissant-like, its fallen flakes practically translucent, with ever so slight touches of burn here and there.

Just a guess, but I think these latter day, square patty things of doorstop consistency now being called knishes are easy to manufacture (to say cook would be too charitable), simple to warm-up and have a more profitable shelf life than the real McCoy.

The Bear
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Knishes 2008/02/16 01:23:47
BT, thanks so much of the photos of Yonah Shimmel's bakery. I love my hometown of Chicago, and I'll put up our culinary scene against any other city in the world for high quality and grand diversity, but we ain't got nuthin' like Yonah Shimmel's here. Props to our New York Roadfood brethren. It just goes to show, no matter how good you got it where you are, there's always someone somewhere who's got something you ain't.

Buddy
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/16 10:47:07
Great pictures BT, suitable for framing.................... very colorful street scene, is it your's?
also good to see you here again......... Frank C

BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Knishes 2008/02/16 14:01:00
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

Great pictures BT, suitable for framing.................... very colorful street scene, is it your's?



No. I've been there but didn't take a pic. The photo you like came from Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/yonah-schimmels-knishes-bakery-new-york

sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/02/16 19:44:04
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by sizz

Great pictures BT, suitable for framing.................... very colorful street scene, is it your's?



No. I've been there but didn't take a pic. The photo you like came from Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/yonah-schimmels-knishes-bakery-new-york

then good cuz as you can see I took out the cab and bicycle and added the old man sweeping the sidewalk ................. a little artistic liberty ......... I hope whomever that pic belongs to
likes what I did. .......................lol
Druu
Junior Burger
RE: Knishes 2008/08/06 16:14:44
quote:
Originally posted by exsquidao

What's the diffrence between a knish and a pierogie?


Make your own if you can't find them in your town. I used get the most delicous flaky and light knishes on Miami Beach before it became trendy South Beach. They were baked with a saffron egg wash. Just makes my mouth water remembering them. I now live out in the west and all you can get if you find them is potato or meat. The stuff in the freezer section and those square fried things are not real knishes.

I found a great knish dough recipe on line that calls for sour cream. This is the best that I've found so far.

For a great kasha knish (not kosher by any means) cook the kasha beef broth with sauted shallots or sweet onions. Then add a little mashed potato to hold the filling together and for some added texture.

I usually make knishes with leftover mash potatoes from a roast with gravy, and I make the mashed potaoes made with butter, chive creamcheese, roasted garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg and sauted onions or shallots (this mashed potato filling is great on it's own for a knish filling).

If the mixture is too dry I recommend adding a little brown gravy or pork gravy (gives it nice sweetness to the filling) if you have it.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/06 16:50:31
Thanks for the info...and welcome to roadfood...Enjoy the ride!!!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Knishes 2008/08/08 10:00:41
I remember knishes well. "Knish men" used to walk around the beach (Brighton, Manhattan, Coney Island)in white undershirts and carrying huge brown shopping bags selling them while you sat on your blanket:



"Getcha cold drinks! Hot knishes heeyah"
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/08 13:21:41
I think the first knish I had as a kid was ages ago at Yankee Stadium..not typical ballpark food!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/08 13:34:53
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

I think the first knish I had as a kid was ages ago at Yankee Stadium..not typical ballpark food!!!


Growing up on Long Island, I not only thought of Knishes as typical ballpark food, I thought of it as typical food- i thought evereyone ate it everywhere and was shocked to find it it wasn't when I grew older (similar to those who throught breaded pork tenderloins were everywhere as opposed to being basically confined to 3 states)
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/08 13:49:39
Home made, (round, baked style) filled with with mashed potato, chicken fat and onions. Now, that's Jewish comfort food! As far as I know, Yonah Shimmel may be the last place on earth to get them.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/08 15:42:27
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

I think the first knish I had as a kid was ages ago at Yankee Stadium..not typical ballpark food!!!


Growing up on Long Island, I not only thought of Knishes as typical ballpark food, I thought of it as typical food- i thought evereyone ate it everywhere and was shocked to find it it wasn't when I grew older (similar to those who throught breaded pork tenderloins were everywhere as opposed to being basically confined to 3 states)



Yes,I think Yankee stadium served the round Cohen's...delicious!!!
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 01:32:24
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Living here in the New York/New Jersey corridor, we get so much great food of the world!
A favorite of this Italian is the not-so-Italian Knish--that Jewish Potato delight...sold evrywhere, even at Yankee Stadium.
My question: On the roadways of America,how often do you come in cntact with this great treat? How many of you have NEVER had one. Just curious.


I read the whole thread, what is the difference btw this & a pierogie? I know Pierogi are either pan fried or boiled? And the dough, to me, is similar to ravioli dough?

Is a knish more like a calzone? Baked, not boiled?

I've never had one, as you can tell.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 09:03:42
here is a link ...at least about Square knishes...no, nothing like a pierogi or ravioli,at all.
http://www.gabilas.com/
http://video.about.com/kosherfood/Potato-Knish-Recipe.htm
There more like a crispy potato and onion pie...Here is a video showing how to make one...they're not exactly like a cohen;s knish...but they are true knishes..take a look.

stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 11:43:32
^^So kind of like a pasty? Pie crust with meat & potato & onion inside?

ETA ok the video made perfect sense, thank you for that. They look good, but I've never seen them around here.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 12:12:47
Kinda like an, egg washed pastry pie crust with various fillings such as, potato with onions, kasha, (buckwheat groats) or, chopped liver. usually about the size of a "fist". Always, baked. Not fried.
Lexi
Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 12:23:34
I am enjoying a kasha knish right now...for breakfast!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 12:30:36
quote:
Originally posted by Lexi

I am enjoying a kasha knish right now...for breakfast!


Way to go............
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 12:30:43
Hi, stricken-have had them in many Jewish homes over the years,but have not seen them commercially sold in and around the Milwaukee area.Hope I am wrong and someone will steer me to a place, but havent seen them, either.Milw.foodlover????????Pipe in here...
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 12:45:03
Good site for the, "knish curious"

http://www.jewishrecipes.org/recipes/knish/index.html
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 13:43:35
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

Kinda like an, egg washed pastry pie crust with various fillings such as, potato with onions, kasha, (buckwheat groats) or, chopped liver. usually about the size of a "fist". Always, baked. Not fried.


My knish ......is always fried never baked, always square never round, always potato/onion, and nutten else......... and they look like this
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 13:49:09
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

Kinda like an, egg washed pastry pie crust with various fillings such as, potato with onions, kasha, (buckwheat groats) or, chopped liver. usually about the size of a "fist". Always, baked. Not fried.


My knish ......is always fried never baked, always square never round, always potato/onion, and nutten else......... and they look like this




That looks like a classic!!! Beautiful...nice job...I'm one Italian that loves a knish!!!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 13:52:17
Sorry, sizz. but, with all due respect, that (fast food) knish is a modern adaptation of the original style knish (from the old country) that I described above and were made by my late, Russian-Jewish born grandmother.
There is no comparison in taste and texture. But, your right about, potato. They were my favorite too!
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 14:07:22
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

Sorry, sizz. but, with all due respect, that (fast food) knish is a modern adaptation of the original style knish (from the old country) that I described above and were made by my late, Russian-Jewish born grandmother.
There is no comparison in taste and texture. But, your right about, potato. They were my favorite too!
sorry Twinwillow............ with all due respect, what you described above and your Babushka would confirmed is a Russian "piroshki"
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 14:24:50
Well, twinwillow, I for one, will try the recipe site you provided.The liver knish recipe looks fantastic.I know where to get good chopped liver.,..Thanks!!!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 14:27:24
These are the kind of knishes I'm talking about
http://roadfood.com/Insider/photos/5864.jpg
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 14:30:29
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

Sorry, sizz. but, with all due respect, that (fast food) knish is a modern adaptation of the original style knish (from the old country) that I described above and were made by my late, Russian-Jewish born grandmother.
There is no comparison in taste and texture. But, your right about, potato. They were my favorite too!
sorry Twinwillow............ with all due respect, what you described above and your Babushka would confirmed is a Russian "piroshki"


Yes, in Russian, a "piroshki". In Jewish, a "knish".
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 14:34:14
More "knish culture"............

http://www.jewishrecipes.org/jewish-foods/knish.html
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Knishes 2008/08/09 14:39:52
Twinwillow-same site, but great recipes!!!!
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Knishes 2008/08/13 02:05:31
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Hi, stricken-have had them in many Jewish homes over the years,but have not seen them commercially sold in and around the Milwaukee area.Hope I am wrong and someone will steer me to a place, but havent seen them, either.Milw.foodlover????????Pipe in here...
We have a temple out here in Waukesha & the grocery store across the street from them used to have a little section of foods that were pareve, but they have since closed.

Maybe the northside? Mequon? Benji's doesn't have them?