Wine Burgers

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2008/02/05 22:01:20
Does anybody remember a place in Phoenix Called Wine Burgers? I think it was on N.7th ave or N.20th ave around Camelback Road. It was kind of a dive bar. Old, dingy, smoky, it was a great place to kill an afternoon. They had the best roadfood burger I have ever had.

David O.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/02/05 22:32:33
No, I've never been but it sounds like a place I would like.
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/02/06 18:09:14
Said real loud with a Long giland accentWHERE ARE MY BURGERS??? Whine burgers
boyardee65
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/02/06 20:00:28
Not to be confused with Whine Burgers!! LOL

David O.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/02/09 23:53:26
How about a great half pounder, with a burgandy wine and mushroom sauce and melted swiss..that's a wine burger!!!
boyardee65
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/04/12 00:28:07
The place is called Harvey's Wineburgers! I had an epiphany while talking to someone else about it. I believe that is is now defunct. Used to be on 20th Ave just a little north of Camelback Road.

David O
brittneal
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/04/12 01:30:10
I posted my favorite burger on the Houston. Tookies. They mix the meat with wine,,cheese and spices. Let it marinate and charbroil..
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
britt
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/04/12 01:38:25
Mixing the wine right in with the meat...great idea...I've done it before with other liquids for flavor..ie some soup...but I never tried it with wine...gotta try that!
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/04/14 23:11:54
For a while, there was a Zinfandel blend being produced by Lytton Springs Winery (now defunct) called 'Wineburger' that had a really cool, kinda psychedelic picture of a burger on its label. The wine was delicious, and luckily, a great burger wine.

Of course, the best burger beverage is any form of IPA beer because of the higher alcohol (fuller body) and high hops level (bitterness cuts through fat).

john
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/04/15 07:42:52
I had to look up IPA.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category14.html
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/04/15 21:53:17
Don, I personally recommend that you drink up IPA.

Note that many American microbreweries will name their bitter, relatively high-alcohol beers with a monicher that has the same initials as India Pale Ale. One of my favorite names is Indiana Pale Ale.

jf
brittneal
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/07/27 15:07:52
Ive been to Tookies outside houston. Tehy have the Tookie Burger-marinated with wine, cheese and special seasonings. They were awesome.
britt
sk bob
RE: Wine Burgers 2008/07/30 18:55:07
TEN BUCKS FOR A HAMBURGER??? thats my whine burger.
Diablo Dogs
Junior Burger
RE: Wine Burgers 2009/06/10 02:19:03
Located on 19th ave north of Bethany Home rd on the east side of 19th, also  located on 16th st south of Camelback rd on the west side of 16th.
Great burgers, dirty atmosphere!
bowtieman
Junior Burger
RE: Wine Burgers 2009/06/14 15:05:53
Diablo Dogs

Located on 19th ave north of Bethany Home rd on the east side of 19th, also  located on 16th st south of Camelback rd on the west side of 16th.
They have been there for years,and the Hospital is right across the street(just in case)LOL

Pirate Paul
Junior Burger
RE: Wine Burgers 2009/07/30 12:00:01
S. W. Tookie, SH 146 near FM528, Seabrook, Tx, R.I.P.
Hurricane Ike put them out of business, but the real reason they didn't come back is because Hwy 146 is set to be widened, and the building would have to go.  Too bad; inside, it looked like it was built by hippies in the psychadelic era.
Worse, gone now forever is one of my favorite burgers in the world, the No. 99.  I didn't expect them to share any secret with me about it, but they happily said they used Chablis in the pattie.  I thought it odd;  I expected a red.  Someone else mentioned a Zinfandel at a different wine-burger place.  I've tried to duplicate the No. 99 at home, but so far I've fallen short.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Wine Burgers in Phoenix AZ 2010/07/28 00:16:31
bowtieman

Diablo Dogs

They have been there for years,and the Hospital is right across the street(just in case)LOL

The Original Wineburger is still there on 19th Av. I had an excellent lunch there today with a buddy of mine from Warren PA. The "Original" has been there since 1965. The other one on 16th St is called Harvey's Wineburger and is completely separate and not associated or connected with the "Original" on 19th Av.

http://www.originalwineburger.com/

Nothing's been done to the place since 1965 except adding more memorabilia to the walls. It reminds me of 100 different neighborhood bars back East in the Rust Belt. The reason it's survived is the goodness of the food served there. Great, fresh burgers with real hamburger flavor. Very good buns as well. The "Original" Wineburger is 100% Certified Angus Beef ® grilled with spices and splashed with Sangria Wine while cooking to give the juicy flavor. The fries are very good also. Had a thing called "Cheese Pints" - Cubes of cheddar cheese, batter dipped, and deep fried. The only thing new in the place are several HD Flat Screen TV's tuned to ESPN. They have other "Bar Food" as well. A nice comfortable place where you come in as a stranger and leave as a regular.  
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/07/28 00:17:42
boyardee65
RE: Wine Burgers in Phoenix AZ 2010/07/28 06:34:09
  Thx. FBM for the update. I will be in PHX in the fall or winter for vacation. I will be staying in Wickenburg but will be visiting the Valley for my favorite food haunts including Pizzeria Bianco, and The Golden Rule Cafe'. A stop at Texaz grill and Richardson's is also on the agenda.  There used to be an El Pollo Asado on 16 street and Bethany Home Road that I used to frequent. Is it still there?

David O.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Wine Burgers in Phoenix AZ 2010/07/28 12:17:13
boyardee65

Thx. FBM for the update. I will be in PHX in the fall or winter for vacation. I will be staying in Wickenburg but will be visiting the Valley for my favorite food haunts including Pizzeria Bianco, and The Golden Rule Cafe'. A stop at Texaz grill and Richardson's is also on the agenda.  There used to be an El Pollo Asado on 16 street and Bethany Home Road that I used to frequent. Is it still there?

David O.

Richardson's has been closed due to a fire several months ago. They plan to re-open and may be operationzl by the time you get here. Here's the address for El Pollo Asado. I don't know it, but assume it's still there:
El Pollo Asado Mexican Cafe
Listed Since:
1601 E Bethany Home Rd
Phoenix, Maricopa County, AZ 85016-2514
Phone: (602) 265-6147
There's also a chain here called El Pollo Loco that has good Mexican style Chicken. http://www.elpolloloco.com/index.html
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/07/29 00:35:39
Pirate Paul
Junior Burger
Re:Wine Burgers 2010/09/30 12:42:20
WINE BURGERS -- Follow-up to my post of 1-8-07:

S. W. Tookies fanatics, rejoice. Stomp's Burger Joint opened Tuesday, and I scouted it out last night. It's plain to see they did a lot of planning, and payed attention to details, both in the building and in the menu.
The modest little building sits at 3107 FM-146 next door to the , at Simpson Street in Bacliff. It's a barn brown wooden structure, and the inside looks like a rustic Texas hill country theme with wild west and farmhouse decor seating 58.
None of the beers are mentionable, and there's no patio or smoking. But I can get a vanilla Coke like I always did at Tookies. I can get my "99" fix with Stomp's Southern Bell, or a clone of the "Stomp's Ice House Special" with their Outlaw.
Six other specialty burgers go beyond the mentor, and there's a gourmet jalapeno chili kraut dog, a Torchezee that was inspired by the SWT "Bombshell," and huge onion rings that measure up too. Stomp's has menu sections for healthy eating and for kids. It promises to become the bay area's next best burger place for sure. Service is slow while they're working bugs out, but the wait is worth it. Will they be able to pick up the pace after word gets out and the place gets discovered? We'll see.