Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
In all my years I've never bought Corned Beef in a can, it's right next to the hash, what's the difference, also whats Treet, it's in a can next to the Corned Beef?? Any good?
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/07 18:26:09
CF,

You are very lucky never to have had corned beef in a can...my advice is to not press your luck. Treet is pretty much the same thing as Spam...the canned meat that is, not the email.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/07 19:14:42
Treet is, in my opinion, even more awful than Spam. Corned beef in a can isn't quite as awful, but doesn't taste as good as the corned beef part of corned beef hash in a can. It's pretty useful if you're making a hot corned beef and cheese dip, but that's about it.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/07 19:21:20
It's worth a try. Fry it up in a little bacon grease along with some diced onions.
Serve it on a grilled hamburger bun or with eggs. I like it.
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/07 19:22:20
One of the many reasons it is such fun and so enlightening to be a part of the Roadfood forum is how one learns so much and tries so many things that might not be tried before reading about here. For instance, I never really thought too much about chains before, but now look askance at them, but have found that some of them are really not too bad at all.

The same goes for canned corned beef hash....in the absence of a piece of corned beef, the canned hash fills a need once in awhile for the taste of corned beef hash for breakfast. Therefore, can the canned variety be all that bad?

There are many things that are much better if made from scratch, with love, and satisfaction of having made something really tasty and good. But there are times when because of many reasons, it is not possible to cook from scratch, that the canned and/or prepared variety of items fills the need, either for taste or lack of time, or whatever, and therefore cannot be all that bad in my estimation.

I have found that the older I get and the more infirm I become, the more I lean toward convenience items, i.e., canned roasted red peppers, bottled pesto sauce, minced garlic, etc. I have yet to resort to canned potatoes but have found that Glory Brand vegetables are certainly every bit as good as home cooked; greens, string beans, rice and beans, sweet potatoes, etc.

Just letting off a little steam here, but truly appreciate all ideas and opinions expressed in these various threads, and have no quarrel with anyone else's opinions. Keep those thoughts and ideas coming and I will continue to appreciate reading all about them. In the meantime, we will continue to enjoy eating good foods, even if it means I have resorted to short cuts along the way.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Donna

valboy
Junior Burger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/07 19:26:24
I went to a local Roadfood place that has always had very good food. This past Saturday, I had one of the most dreadful breakfasts in a restaurant that I have ever had. The homemade corn beef was bright red in color with meat (could not decide what it was) bits the size of grains of rice in it along with a few cubes of potatoes..........................I ate 1/3 of it, thinking that it was all in my head, and was sick for 2 days.

I would have been thrilled with canned hash here! Canned corn beef hash is better than what you get in many of these places.

(Oh yes, ordered my eggs sunny side up and they came out medium. I ordered rye toast and got cold white toasted bread. )
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/07 19:33:00
I keep a can of canned corned beef in the pantry. It comes in handy when I get the sudden urge to make corned beef hash.
porkbeaks
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/07 19:58:59
Although I haven't (knowingly) had canned corned beef or canned corned beef hash in years, I've got to say that during my year in Viet Nam ('67-'68) those two items were considered the "gold standard" for what you might pick up at the commissary. Also, Dinty Moore beef stew was pretty popular. Spam, on the other hand, was available almost all the time and, even though it was better than nothing, the only reason we ate it was we were too lazy to walk all the way to the chow hall for what might be even worse. I guess my eating experiences from those years in the Air Force are another reason that I get a tad upset when I read here of folks that "would rather starve than eat at an Olive Garden, Arby's, etc." pb

p.s. I've always heard that Treet was inferior to Spam so have thus far successfully avoided it.
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/07 21:03:56
offlady
Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/07 23:09:30
With the strong military presence around, we grew up with canned corned beef, vienna sausages and SPAM. You'd be surprised at the different ways canned corned beef can be prepared. My favorite is corned beef patties. It is mixed with chopped onion, eggs, and mashed potatoes, made into small patties and fried up. Great with ketchup. Other ways include cooking it with sliced round onions and sliced potatoes in soy sauce and sugar, or just plain fried with sliced cabbage. My mom would mix it with mayonnaise and some garlic powder and make sandwiches. Sometimes she'd just slice the block of meat out of the can and add a bit of mayonnaise and eat it. I don't buy it very often because of all the nitrites and nitrates, but sometimes I just have to have it for old times sake.
Treet is a bad substitute for SPAM. There's no comparison!
007bond-jb
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 12:27:00
My wife (not me) makes & eats a lunch dish heating up canned crushed tomatoes a can of corned beef & adds some liquid smoke (I cant belive I said LS)& eats this with canned biscuits, Her mom used to make this when she was growin up.
Treet is nasty Like potted meat yuuuko.

In my younger years I worked construction as a pipefitter, many times we work in areas where plate lunches or fast food place were not close by. some mornings before leaving home I didn,t have time to make sandwiches or sumthin for lunch. So I'd run in a store in buy Spam & bread or deviled ham & crackers, I also recall Carnation used to sell tuna, chicken & ham salid in a can. The ham salid wasn't too bad,
Anyone remember Carnation canned meat salids?
Rusty246
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 13:10:09
"Mary Kitchen"(Hormel?) corned beef hash OR roast beef hash when fried to a light crisp and a little black pepper makes a great midnight snack. I always have a can or two on hand.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 13:22:30
In my younger years, I use to enjoy almost any meat in a can. I am not sure what happened but personally, I cannot enjoy any of it anymore. I do not know why. Perhaps to my taste, it all taste the same. Sardines, tuna, corned beef has and all of it just does not appeal to me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 13:33:53
I have eaten Mary Kitchen hash (both types) since I was a kid. My Daddy was a big fan of the stuff he ate in the Navy aboard his warship in the South Pacific during the last real war we fought. So that meant lots of SOS, canned hash, Vienna sausages, and Spam for breakfast. And fresh eggs from our hens, not the reconstituted type they served aboard ship. He wasn't willing to traipse that far down memory lane.

Cooking up a skillet of crisp fried canned hash with some diced onions tossed in, then topping that with some scrambled eggs and red lead and serving the whole mess with white toast brings back those lazy weekend breakfasts of my youth. That's a good place to go as I rush headlong towards Al Bowen's advanced age.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 13:41:23
Neat post Donna!

Offlady your right, there are lots of ways to fix corn beef.

My sweety makes corn beef tacos. She has made these for years and gets a craving for them about once a month. She heats up the corned beef, puts it on a corn tortilla that was fried in vegetable oil, adds Pace Picante Sauce, onions, heated sour cream, and lettuce. Hey, they are not bad.

The trick is that all canned corned beef is not equil. I have bought some brands that just didn't taste at all like the better bands. Armour is a good one. What brands do some of you folks like???

Oh, I heat up a can of corned beef hash and mix it w/ 2 eggs, and nuke it, stirring aften. Kinda like a fast corned beef hash and poached eggs. Like corned beef the quility of canned corned beef hash varies. What breand do you use???

There is a neat thread about home made corned beef hash here somewhere. I love that stuff!
Joe

Oh, Porkbeaks, try not to get upset. Those guys are not telling the truth. I would like to see them pass up the endless bread sticks, soup, and salid, after going a few days w/o food.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 13:47:08
I can't imagine me ever having canned hash -- again.

Grew up on it, never knowing there was such a thing as homemade. Especially using nice corned beef crafted by a local meat shop.

Just look at the ingredients of canned hash ...
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 14:10:48
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Just look at the ingredients of canned hash ...
I don't have one handy Greg, but it can't be any worse than the pig and steer parts I eat with gusto at the local carnecerias and taco stands.

Or can it? *gulp*
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 14:26:20
I've found that when I make my own hash, using canned corn beef, fresh onions and potatoes---it can get done quickly and yet taste much better than the premade cans of hash.
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 14:30:56
What do you mean "last real war we fought" little curious about that.
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 14:53:02
Guess I won't read the ingredients on the can of corned beef hash, because I do like it. I use Hormel brand, maybe because I was a fan of Georgie Hormel when we lived in AZ. He was something else.

But I digress.....the only thing I've ever refused to ever buy again is ready made chorizo and when I read the ingredients of that, I tossed an entire pot of chili in the garbage because I couldn't stand the thought of eating that meat. Now I love(d) chorizo, but it has to be homemade and not include the yucky factor that I found in the ready made.

Therefore, since I also like potted ham, corned beef and corned beef hash, Vienna sausages,etc., I won't read the ingredients so as to go on enjoying those items. And here I am, totally in love with souse, even though ready made and of questionable meats, but since my Grandma used to make her own after butchering and I loved it, I still like it and don't even think about what is in it! Go figure!

Donna
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 15:08:13
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

And here I am, totally in love with souse, even though ready made and of questionable meats, but since my Grandma used to make her own after butchering and I loved it, I still like it and don't even think about what is in it! Go figure!

Donna
... what's not in it is all the gross chemicals in the canned meats.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 15:20:58
quote:
Originally posted by exsquidao

What do you mean "last real war we fought" little curious about that.
Real war as in declared war, and one that was fought with the intention of winning by total defeat. Any other questions, please send me an email or start a new topic lest we drive this topic down a side street and get it locked. They're lock crazy around this joint lately.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 16:06:55
Thanks Donna! I'll try Hormel. And... I also love chorizo.

Oh, of coarse everything made fresh is better. Those ingredients in canned stuff don't scare me though. It's not like I live on canned stuff.
Joe
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 16:11:13
Even our dog won't eat spam or treet...and I'd eat his dog food first!!! Sorry[|)]
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 16:39:21
I enjoy both Spam and Treet, although I began buying Treet years ago because it was less expensive than Spam. I always have Mary Kitchen corned beef hash in my kitchen cabinet (sometimes Mary Kitchen roast beef hash), and there'll always be Armour Vienna sausage, Underwood devilled ham and Dinty Moore beef stew.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 16:54:51
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Even our dog won't eat spam or treet...and I'd eat his dog food first!!! Sorry[|)]

I think you are being a bit harsh. Our troops ate Spam during the war and enjoyed it. Your dogs may not enjoy it but our loyal troops sure did.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
offlady
Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 16:58:28
My dad who is a DAV from WW2 would eat deviled ham cold out of the can spread on crackers or bread. He also loved creamed dried chipped beef and peas on toast. As a kid I wouldn't go near the stuff. But looking back, I guess there was more behind eating those things--it was a memento of his war experience. And whenever I saw my mom cooking a huge batch of beef stew, I'd chime in ..Not again!! We'd be eating that stew for days. My dad, on the other hand, would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and say his tummy was so happy, it was just as happy as eating a New York steak. So why pay all that money for an expensive steak when you can eat stew. Eating so much beef stew growing up, I almost never make the stuff, except when my husband starts begging for some.

No one can beat Libby's when it comes to corned beef hash. We like it fried up until it gets crispy. Sometimes I just slice it into neat round patties as it comes out of the can. Just can't get Mary's to fry up crispy like that. It's been years since I've bought it--you know, the nitrite stuff. But after reading all this, I might just get me some soon.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 17:11:42
I guess it is due to my military experience but the canned meat totally peraonally turns me off.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 17:40:59
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I guess it is due to my military experience but the canned meat totally peraonally turns me off.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Try the hurricane experience with 12 days without power and you will grow to love all that stuff!
007bond-jb
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 17:42:37
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I enjoy both Spam and Treet, although I began buying Treet years ago because it was less expensive than Spam. I always have Mary Kitchen corned beef hash in my kitchen cabinet (sometimes Mary Kitchen roast beef hash), and there'll always be Armour Vienna sausage, Underwood devilled ham and Dinty Moore beef stew.

Michael do you rember they had another canned meat, not spam or treet or deviled ham? I can't rember what the name was?
It was a ham kinda thing kinda like spam or tweet sold as a loaf like canned spam?
Greyghost
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 18:08:31
JB,

Was it a canned product? Could be anything from pork roll in a bag to Friskies cat food in a can. I know which one the cat likes and I concur.

Maybe it's a regional product that did not get national distribution. You do have so many great regional products that are just a blip on the national radar screen.

Anyway, I think more information is needed.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 18:18:58
quote:
Originally posted by 007bond-jb

quote:

Michael do you rember they had another canned meat, not spam or treet or deviled ham? I can't rember what the name was?
It was a ham kinda thing kinda like spam or tweet sold as a loaf like canned spam?

PREM. Another was MOR.

I forgot one: Wilson's BIF, which was beef, not pork.
SFS Fan
Hamburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 18:30:41
When I was a kid back in the late 60's and early 70's, one of my favorite dishes that my mom would make was an "okazu" consisting of canned corned beef, shredded cabbage, onions, soy sauce, a little bit of sugar and some water to make a gravy - all served over rice. I still make it from time to time as a reminder of home.
Greyghost
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 18:53:16
Wow, I have never heard of PREM or MOR. Sounds interesting and a worthy subject for research. I have to know more. I do love history and recently the history of food intrigues me also.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 19:58:27
quote:
Originally posted by SFS Fan

When I was a kid back in the late 60's and early 70's, one of my favorite dishes that my mom would make was an "okazu" consisting of canned corned beef, shredded cabbage, onions, soy sauce, a little bit of sugar and some water to make a gravy - all served over rice. I still make it from time to time as a reminder of home.

I was going to say that sounds delicious, but then I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okazu
porkbeaks
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 20:38:56
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SFS Fan

I was going to say that sounds delicious, but then I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okazu

I wonder if okazu could be an okazu. pb
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 20:43:49
I'm not going there.
Greyghost
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 20:52:57
I hit the link and would not go there either.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/08 21:56:28
When I ran a deli in the 80s and 90s, there was an imported canned corned beef for deli slicing.I cannot remember the country of origin, but I used to sell a ton of it.To my own Father, especially.I find the small cans to be the same.Not that I love it, but I always have a can on hand, especially for corned beef hash when I have leftover potatoes.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 06:38:28

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19165747/
Fieldthistle
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 06:58:09
Hello All,
I maybe clueless...I enjoy corn-beef
from the meat counter or deli.
Canned meat just make me cringe
unless I am starving. I don't mean
to offend.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
agnesrob
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 08:28:52
When my husband and I were first married he would whip up a "day before payday" inexpensive meal of canned corned beef mixed with barbeque sauce and served on white bread or hamburger buns. I never had even heard of corned beef in a can.
007bond-jb
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 09:07:51
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

JB,

Was it a canned product? Could be anything from pork roll in a bag to Friskies cat food in a can. I know which one the cat likes and I concur.

Maybe it's a regional product that did not get national distribution. You do have so many great regional products that are just a blip on the national radar screen.

Anyway, I think more information is needed.

Yes it was a canned meat in the section next to spam & treet, in the same kinda can. It might have been MOR or PREM, for some reason I'm picturing the can reading LUNCH. Its been years like mid 60's, I can't realy remeber. Its realy not that important, I'm sure it was simular to treet or worse. But I did see it, As you said GG it may have been regional.
porkbeaks
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 09:22:03
I found this[url='http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe40s/life_24.html']here[/url].

"After the war some new foods came right out of the ration kits to the stores. "Foods formerly manufactured solely for army use will now be put on the civilian market," announced American Cookery magazine in 1946. They were excited about a bonanza of canned meats like Spam, Treat, Mor, Prem and Snack. "Only 12 different varieties were available before the war, but postwar shelves will boast 40 varieties." Today, only Spam – which began life in 1937 as "Hormel's Spiced Ham" – is still in wide distribution."
Rick F.
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 10:36:27
quote:
Originally posted by 007bond-jb
Could it have been Potted Meat? It had a list of "mystery meats" (lips?) and was pretty awful, but Deviled Ham was okay.

I also used to eat Treet and Spam. Treet because it was cheaper than Spam, and Spam just because I liked it. But of late, like Vienna Sausages, it is different : kind of rubbery or something, and I just can't make myself eat it. Dinty Moore beef stew I like, and Sweet Sue chicken and dumplings is enough like my grandmother's that we eat it fairly often.
007bond-jb
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 11:36:32
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

I found this[url='http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe40s/life_24.html']here[/url].

"After the war some new foods came right out of the ration kits to the stores. "Foods formerly manufactured solely for army use will now be put on the civilian market," announced American Cookery magazine in 1946. They were excited about a bonanza of canned meats like Spam, Treat, Mor, Prem and Snack. "Only 12 different varieties were available before the war, but postwar shelves will boast 40 varieties." Today, only Spam – which began life in 1937 as "Hormel's Spiced Ham" – is still in wide distribution."

That it! "Snack", I knew its name had somethin to do with eatin.
Potted meat? Do it come from potted cows? Just kiddin
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 13:43:39
Potted Meat (and Treet, of course) are evidently still sold:

http://www.armour-star.com/products_main.html

I always thought that "potted meat" was a generic name.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 14:47:21
It is generic. You can see references to it in the victualing lists of 19th century
military commissary corps in this country and Britain.
porkbeaks
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 15:15:23
Which one would you pick? " />

ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 15:52:22
I like potted meat.Libbys, imo, is the best among them.
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 16:20:19
I used to buy the corned beef at the deli counter, like the canned type you mentioned, AnnPeeples, and loved it, but the last time I asked about the availability at the deli, was told it came from Brazil and that the deli (store) was no longer allowed to stock it. Don't know if that is factual or not, but at least it isn't available any more. I do miss it as I liked it a lot for sandwiches. I haven't noticed if it is still carried in the canned meat section along with SPAM and such.

Donna

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 16:38:55
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

I haven't noticed if it is still carried in the canned meat section along with SPAM and such.

Donna

Kroger and Meijer in the Columbus area carry canned corned beef in the same section as the hash and other canned meats. I believe both stores carry the Armour corned beef.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 17:46:15
Donna-you are right;it was from Brazil and HARD to import...I actually liked it...
RubyRose
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 18:15:22
I remember the very first time I ever had SPAM. It was a few months into the long steelworkers' strike of 1959. I was too young to understand exactly what was happening but instead of meat, chicken or fish for dinner every night like my mother used to make, we had a long run of potato soup, baked beans and spaghetti with meatless sauce as our suppertime entrees.

One day, my mom said she was making a special treat for dinner and it turned out to be a block of SPAM, studded with cloves and baked in the oven. She sliced it and served it with creamed peas and mashed potatoes. I still can recall how excited I was to have meat that night. We also would have fried eggs in the middle of a mound of corned beef hash made out of canned corned beef for supper in that time period and I gobbled it up.

After the strike was over (the beginning of the end for the U.S. steel industry), my mom was back to her usual menu, which didn't include SPAM or corned beef but it sure tasted good when that was the only meat for the week.
Russ Jackson
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 19:00:58
Potted Meat product is pretty bad stuff. But I will eat Underwood beef and deviled ham it makes good dip. Corned Beef hash in a can is ok in a pinch. Fry it crispy on the outside and top it with ketchup and that new Smoked Jalapeno Tabasco. Try using canned roast beef from armour (product of Brazil) and roll it up in corn tortillas and make taquitos. Spam is good countless ways either you love it or hate it.I would choose fresh Goetta over corned beef hash....Russ
jettababs
Cheeseburger
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 19:12:47
I grew up eating the canned corned beef hash, with poached eggs, and loved it. Still do, although between the nitrites/nitrates and e.coli scare several months back, it's been a while since I've made it. Good stuff, though. But a few years ago, I had real, homemade, from scratch corned beef hash at Uncle Bill's in Manhattan Beach, CA, and it was a revelation. Comparing the two is like comparing homemade chocolate cupcakes and Hostess ding-dongs. The ding-dongs are great in their own right, but they aren't the real thing.
Greyghost
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/09 19:16:10
I think RubyRose has said a great deal on this subject. Essentially, it is meat to have in an emergency. Military folk have also expressed their gratitude for it when it was the only meat available, but Ruby got to the essence of it...once the emergency is over people tend to eat better stuff. Who among us would not?

Since this thread has been going on for days, I stopped and looked closely at the products mentioned. Just on the nutritional information on the label I would have no part of any of them, even the lower sodium varieties. Take SPAM for an example, over 1,000 mg of sodium per serving in a small can and they claim to have many servings in this small can. The salt factor is staggering. They also have Lite, which is also pretty terrible. For me and I think for many people this one can would be a snack loaded with a weeks worth of salt. It is not worthy to me even with the nostalgia factor included.

This is not to say I do not enjoy very salty things from time to time. One of my favorites is highly salted country ham, but I eat it sliced paper thin as it should be served. I don't think SPAM can be served in the same way with any amount of enjoyment.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/10 03:37:44
Manyyyy years ago a GF invited me to her(parents) house for dinner. She was cooking corned beef and cabbage and corn bread. Nummy I thought. Until I set down to eat and it was canned corned beef. Not the real stuff I was use to. Not so nummy. That relationship didn't last a lot longer.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/10 07:44:47
As I said on another post, Spam simply stands for "Spiced Ham", that cold cut many of us grew up on ...Ask a deli for a hunk of spiced ham and you pretty much have "Spam"...perhaps the spam is saltier...My mom tried serving us breaded slices of spam made like a veal cutlet,back in the 50's...but my dad wasn't having any of it! He was strict."I ate enough of that crap in World War II. We won that war, and I'm free of spam too".
Cosmos
RE: Corned Beef in a can vs Corned Beef Hash 2008/02/10 09:57:11
Never had canned corned beef, and canned corned beef hash is just too close to dog food for me...I'd much rather have a nice boiled dinner, and chop up the leftovers, throw it in a buttered fry pan for my hash.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2