Cheese Fries. What type?

Post
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
2008/02/08 11:27:09
How do you prefer your cheese fries? All thoughts of chili or bacon aside. With a liquid cheese or whiz... or melted shedded cheese?

Whiz?

Shredded?

divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/02/08 11:29:33
I've got to say, drooling that all the pictures produced aside, I go for a melted shredded cheese. I think the nacho or liquid cheese leaves the fries soggy too quick. The shredded cheese helps keep the fries crispy. Downside being that the shredded cheese looses it's melty stringy goodness too soon, but I make an effort that the fries do not last that long.
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/02/08 15:32:37
Oh man. I LOVE cheese fries. All three of those look wonderful. I also like the Canadian dish Poutine.
cameron074
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/02/20 11:44:26
chili cheese fries!!!!
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/02/20 11:47:21
It's pretty cool that everyone is different from one another; me, I wouldn't eat the things!
WVCitySlicker
Hamburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/02/20 11:59:43
Here's the recipe for cheese sauce when I make macaroni and cheese.

1 - 8 oz. block cream cheese (cubed)
12 oz. grated american cheese
1 - 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt

Heat over low flame and stir with a whisk often until free of lumps, this sauce is so much better than canned cheese or whiz and would go great on fries.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/02/21 10:34:11
I like liquid cheese-it doesn't overpower the taste of the fry.
buffalo cheese fries!
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/02/21 13:41:51
I love to put melted pimento cheese on my fries.

Porcelina
Hamburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/02 17:38:28
I will never eat a plate of cheese fries with sliced or shredded cheese on top. I'm a snob like that. My perfect plate of cheese fries has hot creamy cheddar cheese sauce and lots of cold ketchup spewed on top of the cheese. Or I'll just do a straight up pile of cheese fries with jalapenos sprinkled on top.
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/17 03:29:01
No question. A nice cheese sauce poured over the top of the fries. I should try that with tator tots.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/17 14:07:25
quote:
Originally posted by divefl
How do you prefer your cheese fries? All thoughts of chili or bacon aside. With a liquid cheese or whiz... or melted shedded cheese?
Neither. When it comes to cheeses fries, give me Merkt's cheddar cheese out of a crock or no cheese at all. Unless we're talking poutine, in which case I will take whatever our Canadian brethren think is best. Or if it's on a Horseshoe down in Springfield where a Welsh rarebit type cheese sauce is the norm. But other than that, Merkt's or nuthin'!

Buddy
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/19 16:35:06
quote:
Originally posted by Porcelina

I will never eat a plate of cheese fries with sliced or shredded cheese on top. I'm a snob like that. My perfect plate of cheese fries has hot creamy cheddar cheese sauce and lots of cold ketchup spewed on top of the cheese. Or I'll just do a straight up pile of cheese fries with jalapenos sprinkled on top.


Ketchup on cheese fries?
X1
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/19 16:49:07
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

quote:
Originally posted by Porcelina

I will never eat a plate of cheese fries with sliced or shredded cheese on top. I'm a snob like that. My perfect plate of cheese fries has hot creamy cheddar cheese sauce and lots of cold ketchup spewed on top of the cheese. Or I'll just do a straight up pile of cheese fries with jalapenos sprinkled on top.


Ketchup on cheese fries?


I'll have to say "ew" to this, too.
Mayo, if anything, but the best is just melted cheese, bacon bits and jalapenos.

hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/19 17:04:01
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

quote:
Originally posted by Porcelina

I will never eat a plate of cheese fries with sliced or shredded cheese on top. I'm a snob like that. My perfect plate of cheese fries has hot creamy cheddar cheese sauce and lots of cold ketchup spewed on top of the cheese. Or I'll just do a straight up pile of cheese fries with jalapenos sprinkled on top.


Ketchup on cheese fries?


Sure. Why not. Ketchup and cheese go together on other things - burgers for example.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/19 17:09:22
Buddy-does Merkts still have an outlet store??I went to one somewhere in Kenosha county years ago...
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/19 17:13:25
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04


Sure. Why not. Ketchup and cheese go together on other things - burgers for example.


The beef brings everything together. In the absence on beef, it's ranch or nothing.
mland520
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/19 17:21:14
regular fries- chili cheese fries- smothered cheese fries- it's all good.
with ketchup or not, and chopped onion and a "cold one" to wash it all down!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/19 19:59:39
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples
Buddy-does Merkts still have an outlet store??I went to one somewhere in Kenosha county years ago...
I don't know ann, but here is the company website with store locator and contact information:

http://www.merkts.com/mk/mk.nsf/SPWD/HomeHome?OpenDocument

Good luck!

Buddy
johnnyblanco
Junior Burger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/24 11:11:00
Cheese fries ROCK! In fact out here in CA, there's a place called Knowlwoods (unfortunately only in So. Cal) and they make the best burgers and something called.. Irish Nachos! Irish Nachos are french fries, melted cheese, bacon bits and sour cream.. GOD they're good. ;)
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/03/24 11:30:06
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyblanco

Cheese fries ROCK! In fact out here in CA, there's a place called Knowlwoods (unfortunately only in So. Cal) and they make the best burgers and something called.. Irish Nachos! Irish Nachos are french fries, melted cheese, bacon bits and sour cream.. GOD they're good. ;)


Sounds like 1970's potato skins toppings, transferred to fries!



Big_Ted
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/04/30 02:02:44
I've never been happy with the cheese fries I've gotten. The cheese must match the cut of potato.

About two months ago, I was on a cheese kick something fierce and I post a similar question about cheese dogs. I think it really depends on the cut of potato and what fry you are using. Skin-on or off, large cut steak fries or thin? For me, I would use a cheese sauce similar to nacho cheese and use lots of it.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/04/30 05:45:50
If I have cheesefries at all..they need to be smothered in the creamy stuff...but lots of cheese smothers the taste of the fry. Too much of any topping...and you might as well just have topping...the frie becomes just a vehicle to scoop the cheese into your mouth...so the cheese better be top quality, or I'll stick to plain quality fries!
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/04/30 12:38:31
I love cheese fries with white american cheese on them. I've also had cheese fries with provolone cheese and brown gravy that were tasty. Buffalo wedges are also good, while not technically cheese fries, where they are drenched in buffalo sauce with a side of blue cheese
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/04/30 12:50:53
quote:
Originally posted by fattybomatty

Buffalo wedges are also good, while not technically cheese fries, where they are drenched in buffalo sauce with a side of blue cheese


I would go for this in a big way, but I would worry about the wedge fry getting soggy real fast. Perhaps before the wedge cooled down enough to not burn my tongue.
qwerty79
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/04/30 12:52:01
Nathan's makes the best cheese fries! Poutine is a must if you are in Canada. I've only had it twice but it was so good. I don't get cheese fries anywhere else. In a diner it's fries with gravy. At home it's ranch dressing or BBQ sauce mixed with ranch. I don't think I eat fries with ketchup that much unless it's the only thing available.
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/04/30 23:43:23
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

I've got to say, drooling that all the pictures produced aside, I go for a melted shredded cheese. I think the nacho or liquid cheese leaves the fries soggy too quick. The shredded cheese helps keep the fries crispy. Downside being that the shredded cheese looses it's melty stringy goodness too soon, but I make an effort that the fries do not last that long.


I agree 100%. However, in general, I enjoy good fries all by themselves, rarely do I feel like adding cheese.
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/05/01 11:14:15
I know white american cheese does not leave the fries soggy and forms a nice cheese coating around them. I highly recommend them.
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/05/01 11:18:34
Not really a fan of american cheese for anything but a grilled cheese or a burger. Even then, I'd rather go with other cheeses.
db1105
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/05/06 20:55:01
Wiz
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/05/06 21:12:59
I don't let anyone whiz on my fries.
djrebel
Junior Burger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/06/22 05:26:05
melted mozzarella cheese and melted swiss cheese...Dj
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/06/22 05:53:28
A plain 'ol good fry is hard enough to find, much less gunk it up with cheese fries. Or maybe that is the function of the cheese........to hide the BAD fries?

I make them fresh at home and all I need is a little salt on them. Hot and crispy and delicious.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/06/22 06:36:36
I agree 100%!!!
Cheesemonger
Junior Burger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/07/11 16:55:42
Sharp shredded cheddar would be my favorite on fries. Oh yeah! Although truffle fries are quite tasty, but not really "cheese fries" (except for some parmesan cheese...).
db1105
Cheeseburger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/07/12 15:57:19
Whiz all the way!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/07/29 03:51:10
Poutine in Canada, was very interesting. Basically it is fries with cheese curds and gravy. It is very good. Recently, I have seen it pop up in NYC restaurants.
meggie05
Junior Burger
RE: Cheese Fries. What type? 2008/07/29 18:44:15
As a teen I use to get cheese fries from Beef Villa, Fries in a strofoam cup with cheese sauce poured on, ate them with a plastic fork.