The best Fish and chips??

Sirloin
2008/02/10 09:30:10
We've been talking a lot about English food on some other threads. When I'm in England,I have to get the standard,at least once, Fish and Chips. In England places use so many kinds of fish,some I like,some too fishy.
Places that cater to fish and chips are springing up state side(I don't mean the Arthur Treacher's chain) Here at home in Brick, we even have a Fish and Chips shop!
IOn the highways and byways of roadfood america, where can we trek to get authentic and delicious fish and chips and how was it made....hay maybe a fish and chips tour!
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/10 16:55:27
Hey Mate---it just so 'appens that I make
the best fish-n-chops right 'ere in me own bloody
kitchen. So 'ow would I no about other places????

Good luck in your bleeding search though, mate !!
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/11 14:42:52
There is a place in Hillsborough NJ called the Lobster Dock and it has excellent Fish & Chips, among other great fresh seasfood. Also in Princeton is Nassau Street Seafood that also has a nice fresh selection and make the Fish & Chips fresh in front of you.
Arcayne
Junior Burger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/11 14:55:07
My mom got some amazing tasting fish and chips (beer battered pollock) at the Flanders Fish Market in East Lyme, CT. I had the best clam strips there as well, and their huge lunch portions were very reasonably priced. Next time I'm in Connecticut, I'm getting their Lazyman's Lobster (lobster meat sauteed in butter) for sure:)
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/11 15:03:32
Here in Chicago it is tough to find good fish and chips.

There was an article in the paper this past week about Fish and Chips and they recommended Castle and Elephant Pub at 185 N. Wabash. I do plan to check it out soon ($14 for luch).

I have been satisfying the urge with the "Beer Battered Halibut" from COSTO and I can say it is pretty good fish. I throw in some steak fries with a little vinegar and I'm eatin' some goos fish and chips for about $3.00.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/11 15:23:12
The best fish n chip is a place in NYC called Salt and Battery.
www.asaltandbattery.com -check in out its run by a Redcoat!
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/11 16:20:44
I plan to try Foleys in Worcester, Mass www.telegram.com/article/20080206/NEWS/802060425/1092/NEWSREWIND I know where it is, but have never stopped. Now I know better.
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/11 16:26:57
The best fish&chips ever was made by my grandfather, a life-long fish&chips maker, around Harrogate,
England! He's gone now; oh how I miss it. I never did fully learn the art of making it, but I sure do a hell of a Yorkshire puddin'!!!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/11 17:25:06
What makes the best fish and chips? Type of fish? Batter? The newspaper wrapping it?
SassyGritsAL
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 11:29:24
Back in the early 60's when my dad was stationed in England we lived in a little village that of course had great fish and chips and they were wrapped in newspaper. This is where I learned to use vinegar on my fish and chips and I still do today. I can still remember how great those fish and chips taste today. I still don't know of any place that can compare to them.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 11:57:30
If you come to Minneapolis you might want to try Brit's in downtown Minneapolis on Nicollet Mall. They try to be as authentic as possible here stateside.
MellowRoast
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 12:24:50
Even though I'm embarrassed to mention it, I find Cracker Barrel's fish & chips incredibly delicious. While it's promoted as their "Fish Fry" (served only on Friday), it's fish & chips by another name.

The fried cod is some of the best I've tasted, and it's served with chips (fries) and Gilway Malt Vinegar, the traditional vinegar Brits use on their fish and chips.

OK, you can start throwing tomatoes at me now.
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 12:50:28
I believe that they had to stop using the newspaper, for obvious reasons Nowadays you can get the paper minus the ink.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 15:05:42
No tomatoes, MellowRoast...the Fish and Chips at Cracker Barrel on Fridays are GREAT! Hey,it's Lent...Cracker Barrel is a good Friday idea!
cd348
Hamburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 15:20:07
The best fish and chips that I ever had was from a vendor outside the NCO club at Alconbury AB. They were better than any other that I tried.
bob12312357
Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 21:32:46
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

so many kinds of fish,some I like,some too fishy.
Places that cater to fish and chips are springing up state side(I don't mean the Arthur Treacher's chain) Here at home in Brick, we even have a Fish and Chips shop!

Where in Brick is the place. I fly outta lakewood,so I'd like 2 check it out this Sunday.
dholk
Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 21:42:47
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

If you come to Minneapolis you might want to try Brit's in downtown Minneapolis on Nicollet Mall. They try to be as authentic as possible here stateside.

I second the vote for Brit's Pub in Minneapolis. Their fish and chips are incredible. They epitomize GBD (golden brown and delicious).

http://www.britspub.com/
seatown76
Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 22:08:34
I must say that I am partial to Ivars fish and chips right on the waterfront piers of downtown Seattle fresh off a ferry ride across the sound from where I grew up in Washington. They have mighty good clams and chips too!
Pigiron
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/12 23:02:30
I love Fish and Chips, but I've never had anything in the US that rivaled what I ate 3 or 4 times a week while (whilst?) living in London. I can't put my finger on what the huge difference is, but any random chip shop in London was better than the best I've ever had in America.
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/13 06:48:38
I wish I could comment on American fish and chips but although I've eaten a multitude of things on the occasions I've been in the US f & c has not been one of them... I guess because I can get enough of those here and if I'm abroad I make the most of the indigenous cuisine hehe. It really would be interesting to have some one day to compare though. I think one of the differences being here we tend to serve just one largeish piece of fish where from what I've seen in the US you will serve 2-3 smaller pieces. I like the sound of the Salt and Battery menu - I especially am pleased they do not seem to have cod on the menu ( because of the overfishing ) and have pollock - which is a very tasty under utilised fish.

I will give a tip for anyone planning to visit Brighton ( the UK version ) - there are many fish and chip places along the seafront but most of them are just average, the best f & C in town is to be had about a 20 minute walk/5min bus ride inland to a place called Bardsleys - in a rather unpromising looking street but this place has had 3 generations of the same family running the business and their food is absolutely superb. The people that run it are really friendly too. I really should go and have a meal there soon and take my camera ! :) http://www.uniqueto.co.uk/independents/london_lewes_road/news_detail.php?ID=1220

leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/13 13:30:22
Thanks for the tip, misskiddy
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/13 14:29:45
I rather enjoyed my fish and chips at the Ri-Ra in Charlotte, NC back when there were only 2 Ri-Ra restaurants (Charlotee and Durham) I've heard the fish and chips are still great at all the Ri-Ras, but as you could've guessed, it's been a while since I've tried them there since. But, back then, it was fantastic, and it well received by the British fellow I spent the evening with, bellying up to the bar for a night of brew and food.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/13 15:55:07
On this side of the Pond, I found the best fish and chips at The Sail Loft on Atlantic Ave. in Boston.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The best Fish and chips?? 2008/02/13 18:34:01
In London area, I enjoyed Jack's.
http://www.jacksfishandchips.co.uk/

In St. Louis, I would recommend Schafly's Tap Room.
Very nice cod in a beer batter.
http://www.schlafly.com/brewpubs.shtml

McGurk's does pretty fish and chips, too.
http://www.mcgurks.com/