Another Esquire list

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2008/02/13 18:37:15
Did anyone see this list in Esquire?

http://www.esquire.com/features/food-drink/sandwiches

I've eaten at only a few of the places listed. I was somewhat distressed to see Chik-Fil-A listed, but most of the others look quite good.
Russ Jackson
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/02/13 18:50:26
Great article did you check out the recipes at the end?
This one will be made this weekend...Russ

http://www.esquire.com/features/recipes-for-men/michael-symon-0308
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/02/21 20:24:02
yeah,im going to have to try that prosciutto/fried egg etc on sourdough. looks so good
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/02/21 20:35:37
Chik-Fil-A distresses you, but McDonalds does not? McRib is absolutely horrid.
zataar
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/02/21 22:05:14
Of course McRib distresses me, but the Esquire list I received via eamail didn't list McDonalds. I was bummed to see Chk Fil A, but now I'm more bummed to see McRib. Yuck...

Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/17 13:41:33
Oh me. I have to say first of all that I have much appreciated the posts by ZATAAR in this forum, some of which might be considered to be responses to questions I have had. But I totally disagree with the take on Chic-Fil-E in this thread.

I am sorry. What is not to like about a boneless chicken breast, battered and deep fried? It is great in a sandwich, on a biscuit, in a version of the Hot Brown, loose on a plate as an entree. Maybe in ZATAAR's experience the local franchise people need a refresher course. Well, conme to Atlanta. In another recent post about "5 - 1/2 hours between planes in ATL" and where can I eat good southern food, it is mentioned that the original location is near the airport. Come here. Try that one.

In Atlanta we are fortunate to have a number of good fried chicken options: Church's, Bojangles, Popeye's among other chains and several sit down restaurants from Folk's on up where the chicken is nicely done, and also including the Paschal's branch at the airport (also mentioned in the thread just referenced). Chic-Fil-E is scarely the least of these, and is a remarkable achievment for a fast food chain.

ZATAAR, I would be delighted for you to publish your recipe for a fried chicken or a fried chicken sandwich. I am sure it would be good. But dissing Chic-Fil-E is very like criticizing the local peaches or pecans and approaches not liking Coca Cola!

Please note. I am talking about the f-r-i-e-d fried version, and not the poseuer grilled version!
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/17 13:42:47
Well, and I apologize for the spelling!
divefl
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/17 13:45:37
Get the feeling the writer lives in LA? Anyone?
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/17 13:54:05
Well it did seem to be heavily left coast but if that's where the writer is stationed and he doesn't have the travel budget to fly around the country I guess he can only write about what's available to him.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/17 16:48:13
I've never heard of Torta de Milanesa, but wow that sounds good.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/18 10:21:14
I thought about why I am not anxious to seek out a Chick-Fil-A franchise. Well, because it is a fast-food franchise!

• It is owned by someone who is more interested in money than food.

• It is likely staffed by bored teenagers.

• The food is made to a formula dictated from corporate HQ.

• The Chick-Fil-A's around here are in shopping malls.

• The food at FFF's is usually all or partially made in factories.

• The food is typically not prepared to order

I confess to, on occasion, getting "food" from one, but only if I am in a hurry, to take out, as in "I have a meeting in 30 minutes and I haven't eaten since yesterday".

Your milage may vary.

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/18 10:45:59
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

I've never heard of Torta de Milanesa, but wow that sounds good.

Tam, it's almost a Mexi version of my beloved Italian steak sandwich from KC. We have a place here in Southern Oregon that makes a really tasty one.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/19 14:58:53
they missed the vietnamese sandwich from chicago's china town district
Slim Strummer
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/19 15:07:02
Chick Fil A is beyond vile. It clears new ground for tastelessness and weird texture. My chicken nugget addicted children don't even like it.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/20 14:09:53
The Italian beeb sounds super...but NO MCRIB...please...is that write even in the 21st century????
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/21 12:09:59
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

Get the feeling the writer lives in LA? Anyone?

No.

Out of 37 restaurants that were listed by city:

A grand total of 9 were West of the Mississippi, with 3 of those 9 in California, and 2 of those three in L.A.

28 of the 37 restaurants were East of the Mississippi.

If there's a left coast bias there, I must be missing something.
Belcamp Sharon
Junior Burger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/21 12:28:05
I have to disagree with the Hot Lobster Roll choice. I went to Abbott's once. After waiting a long time for my sandwich, the lobster meat was tasteless. I suspect they buy frozer lobster meat in bulk. It was not fresh lobster. After going up in Maine I know the difference between fresh and frozen lobster.
BBq King
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/21 12:49:30
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

I thought about why I am not anxious to seek out a Chick-Fil-A franchise. Well, because it is a fast-food franchise!

I confess to, on occasion, getting "food" from one, but only if I am in a hurry, to take out, as in "I have a meeting in 30 minutes and I haven't eaten since yesterday".

Your milage may vary.

Glad to see you are so pure as to not want to eat at a FF place. However, if owner of Chick-Fil-A is a coporate vulture, more interested in money than food, how come ALL of their locations are closed on Sunday even paying a financial penalty to do so. Next, the franchise holder always works in his store. Yes there are teenagers working there, but most "pure" roadfood establishments employ teeners. Nearly all new Chicks are freestanders not in malls. As far as a supposed West Coast bias in the Esquire article while not true is just another example of the Eastern Time Zone being upset if anyone mentions a place west of the Hudson or out side of north Jersey.
divefl
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/21 13:02:02
East coast can count, BBq. This guy lives in LA and spent a weekend in Chicago.
BBq King
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/21 13:35:33
quote:

Since there isn't even 10 West Coast places, it must mean you did't have to take off your shoes to do the count.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/21 14:40:51
quote:

Which one of the 15 contributers to this non-bylined article are you singling out as "this guy"?
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/21 16:13:10
McRib? MCRIB? That is the crime. Chick-fil-a makes a decent sandwich, there is a forum, here dedicated to it, but the McRib....no excuse at all.
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/21 18:53:26
the mc rib always makes me think of the simpsons episode, where a beloved but disgusting krusty burger sandwich is being discontinued.
homer: what's in this?pork?
krusty:think smaller, and more legs

or something like that
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/22 07:15:45
quote:
Originally posted by BBq King

quote:

Your milage may vary.

Glad to see you are so pure as to not want to eat at a FF place. However, if owner of Chick-Fil-A is a coporate vulture, more interested in money than food, how come ALL of their locations are closed on Sunday even paying a financial penalty to do so. Next, the franchise holder always works in his store. Yes there are teenagers working there, but most "pure" roadfood establishments employ teeners. Nearly all new Chicks are freestanders not in malls. As far as a supposed West Coast bias in the Esquire article while not true is just another example of the Eastern Time Zone being upset if anyone mentions a place west of the Hudson or out side of north Jersey.

Nothing that you wrote refutes any of the six bulleted points in my post.[|)]
BBq King
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/22 16:26:16
quote:

quote:

quote:

Your milage may vary.

Oh, you must mean kids or "bored teenager" kept in line by the old man in the picture YOU posted about Arbetters. Or are you talking about the hot dogs, buns, cheese, and fries which are produced in a factory in the picture YOU posted about Arbetters. And do you really think anyone works at Arbetter for the love of the food and not for money
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Another Esquire list 2008/03/25 07:08:43
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your milage may vary.

Oh, you must mean kids or "bored teenager" kept in line by the old man in the picture YOU posted about Arbetters. Or are you talking about the hot dogs, buns, cheese, and fries which are produced in a factory in the picture YOU posted about Arbetters. And do you really think anyone works at Arbetter for the love of the food and not for money

Earth to BBq King... What the heck are you talking about?

Esquire... best sandwiches... Chick-Fil-A... Stay focused.

What does Arbetter have to do with a corporate, fast-food franchise? And I do not recommend Arbetter. If I did, I would have made it a formal Roadfood Review, not a forum thread. That said,

It has not connection to a corporation, unlike Chick-Fil-A.

It is a longtime, family-owned restaurant, unlike Chick-Fil-A.

Like all hot dog joints, including Roadfood-worthy ones, they do not manufacture their hot dogs, buns, mustard or ketchup. (Good observation!)

Since it is not a corporate-dominated franchise, they are free to select, prepare and present their food in any fashion. Not so with Chick-Fil-A.

I went to a Chick-Fil-A yesterday to see for myself. I was right on ALL points, except for one. The staff consisted of middle-aged, Central-American immigrants. I talked to the franchise owner, who confirmed the other points.

The food was undistinguished, and the atmosphere was the worst.