Capirotada

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
  • Reward points : 0
Capirotada - Sun, 02/24/08 11:46 PM
I just finished reading a good book set in New Mexico (name = "Isabel's Daughter") which mentions a fictitious restaurant that serves capirotada. I have had some up at Leona's at Chimayo. Wikipedia says (paraphrased):

Capirotada is a common Mexican bread pudding that is traditionally eaten during Lent... composed of toasted french bread soaked in mulled syrup, cheese (or butter or milk), raisins, and peanuts. The syrup...made with water, piloncillo Mexican brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, star anise (or aniseed), cloves, and peppercorns. These are identical ingredients to those used during the 1640s in New Spain to make breads and cakes. The ingredients and recipes have been recorded by the Holy Office of the Inquisition and saved to this day in the archives.

When I had it in Leona's they said it was sprouted wheat and had a good, grainy texture. They also said it was for Lent (th I thought Lent was about austerity and this was a pretty extravagant dessert).

In the spirit of Lent, has anyone else had this?

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Capirotada - Mon, 02/25/08 8:45 AM
I just recently had something very similiar to this that was made in Mexico by the sister of the lady who cleans for us. She couldn't explain much past making the syrup which is the brown sugar and additives and that you cook it slowly for a very long time. It is heavenly with fruit added.

naxet76
  • Total Posts : 351
RE: Capirotada - Mon, 02/25/08 10:34 PM
It's wonderfully amazing...the food i grew up with is now spreading out to many different regions. i don't know why this is usually eaten during lent, but i know everyone in the mexican/american community eats this....and believe me---there are soooo many different variations!

my grandmother would use sliced white bread, sliced yelloe cheese, canela, and raisins. Some people use piloncillo, prunes, peanuts, walnuts, etc. She'd serve this as a dessert to her Lent meal which was shrimp patties made with dried, ground shrimp and some kind of corn thing with chile on it.

My mom (who does not like to cook or bake) once made a simple version. She boiled some canela sticks and raisins in water, then toasted the sliced bread in a toaster, layered all the bread and cheese in a large dish and poured the water with the raisins all over it and baked it. I can't tell you all the measurements etc but just look it up on recipezaar or something like that. You MUST try it! They even serve it at my small hometown's school as a dessert during lent!