I need chicken help!

Junior Burger
2008/02/26 09:13:12
Hi,I am looking for suggestions... My family and I love ground chicken... It's so expensive ( like $3.00 a pound) I'm used to paying half that for beef. It is never on sale either! Any suggestions as to where I could buy a bulk (may discounted) amount of ground chicken?(free range or raised no antibiotics preferably)
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: I need chicken help! 2008/02/26 12:54:36
Where I shop, antibiotic-free ground chicken is $5.99 a pound. If you're getting it for $3.00 per pound, you're already getting a bargain, I doubt you're going to find it cheaper than that.
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
RE: I need chicken help! 2008/02/26 13:04:21
by grinding it yourself you'd save some $$$.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: I need chicken help! 2008/02/26 13:18:16
quote:
Originally posted by efuery

by grinding it yourself you'd save some $$$.

true---and i can get boneless breasts and thighs cheaper then that on sale pretty regularly.--not to mention the good deals on turkey!
Lexi
Cheeseburger
RE: I need chicken help! 2008/02/26 13:41:17
I have several meat grinders that I use fairly regularly, including my great-grandmothers hand cranked version - central to my Chopped Liver recipe. I just recently got the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment for my mixer and it is the bomb! I made amazing breakfast sausage on it, because I need kosher sausage for my Thanksgiving stuffing.
kristinb
Junior Burger
RE: I need chicken help! 2008/02/26 16:06:27
I knew grinding it myself was an option... unfortunately the time to do that isn't. I work 60+ hours a week so time off is valuable. I was hoping someone could suggest a butcher or a wholesaler...
divefl
RE: I need chicken help! 2008/02/26 16:15:59
quote:
Originally posted by kristinb

I knew grinding it myself was an option... unfortunately the time to do that isn't. I work 60+ hours a week so time off is valuable. I was hoping someone could suggest a butcher or a wholesaler...

Grinding really isn't a time grabber. We used to use an old hand crank model. Easy to get and use. Clean up was quicker than the big electrical attachments. You could always do a couple birds at a time and keep them in the freezer in bags the size of which you would need.
divefl
RE: I need chicken help! 2008/02/26 16:18:09
http://www.sausage-stuffer.com/W61110_cast_iron_meat_grinders.htm
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: I need chicken help! 2008/02/26 16:21:39
Lexi-would love your chopped liver recipe!!I am a big fan of that...
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: I need chicken help! 2008/03/03 18:42:52
kristinb

I sent you a response of a local meat and deli place there in Champaign.