Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/05/23 15:09:26
I just read an article in the Dayton Daily News website that talks about Wympees and how this weekend they will be rolling back the price of their burgers to 70 cents and also lowering their beverage prices in celebration of their anniversary. Anyone wanting to give this joint a go, may consider braving the crowds and taking advantage of the bargain. I am going to try to go myself with my kids in tow.

As for Foy's Grill....I like their biscuits and gravy okay, but have not been overly impressed by it quality wise. I mostly only go there for coffee on occassion due to convenience and friends that have it as part of their routine.
brittneal
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/05/23 21:46:08
Truly I mentioned Foys as a must stop just for atmosphere. The food is waaay bad. Hockey puck burgers and grease breakfasts. I could wring the bacon grease out of my home fries.
Some one set up for it should do a revue of the Mel-o-dee, theyre great and the Family Diner can be pretty good. The old Hickory on Brown street has a line around the block before they open on saturday
BTW at Foys do check the old time dime store. They have penny candy and a whole wall of bulk stuff.
britt
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/05/25 15:17:14
Went hiking near Germantown Reserve and tried a new place in Miamisburg called Shrock Family restaurant. It's about a mile or so south of the downtown Miamisburg area, a very casual place with a lunch counter, tables and booths.

I had the jumbo pork tenderloin special for $4.99, and it was big enough to feed two people! The tenderloin was pounded very flat and folded in two with lettuce, mayo, onions and tomato on the side, served on a grilled sub-style bun. I'd get that again, but pass on the onion rings because 1) the jumbo was more than enough for me and 2) I think the onion rings were of the frozen variety and not terribly impressive.

They have a regular tenderloin sandwich on the menu as well as other specials and pie*, but we just didn't have any room for dessert.

Shrock Family restaurant
1015 S Main St.
Miamisburg, OH

* So far, the best pie we've had was at Mom's in Red Lion.
PillowsNJ
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/05/27 10:04:18
So I did not get the chance to try Wympees this weekend due to the fact of me simply not having the patience to wait in line. I am anxious to find out if anyone did take them up on it though.
Britt, I really do agree that the main reason that Foy's is still open is its atmosphere. I was really impressed this last year when my boyfriend took myself and the kids to Foy's around Halloween. I have always loved Halloween and been an avid supporter of the Great Pumpkin, so that was fun.
I am so glad to have found this forum since I love finding and trying new places. Anyone here a big Anthony Bourdain fan as well? I love the Travel channel.
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/05/28 03:21:59
Foys Butcher SHop scred me in my 40;s. I still think the burgers were scarier tho.
We drove by Wynoeees this weeekend and with the Cruissssssse-in and all, you had to park blocks away-just kept going.
Did go to The whattadog in New Carlisle sunday and they had the cars all weekend. We had to park and do the walk up and eat in the car.
Its a shame we always get the same cute little car hop. My wife wants to adopt her.
britt
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/05/29 12:18:25
quote:
Originally posted by jmeinhardt

Pug's on Wilmington may have changed hands. A banner has been put up over the sign and I think it read "Chicago Gyros and Dogs". If that is the case Pug's will be missed.

On another note, a co-worker told me he went to the Breakfast Club for lunch Tuesday. I had read that this road food icon had closed last year. This is the first I have heard of it's re-opening.

Jim

A Yellow Pages link on Chicago Gyros and Dogs took me to the Pug's site. I wonder if they just changed names?

I don't remember there being gyros on the menu last time we went, but the Pug's site has them listed now.

Anyone else been back in the past six weeks?
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/01 09:13:24
I had lunch at Wympee's a few weeks ago. The atmosphere is awesome. Wall covered with winning lottery tickets that have been sold there and people were coming in just to buy tickets.
Had a hamburger; OK, not exceptional and expensive. Had a tenderloin. Awful actually. Looked & tasted like one of those frozen thiongs you'd get in a grocery. I'll go back next time I want a lottery ticket, though.
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/02 15:17:37
We first went to pugs around 03, and they had gyros back then(I believe the owners are Greeks).
Finaly...Went to Fairborn family diner Saturday and got a decent prime rib. I got a true mediumrare and it was quite decent for 10.95 for a 10 oz cut. My wife had the RB hotshot. Must have been a lb and a 1/2 of meat and homefries were also covered w/ gravy.
We both had doggie bags. The hotshot was 8.95 with salad, veg and spud.
britt
PillowsNJ
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/03 12:39:04
I am glad to see someone post about the Fairborn Family Diner. I will want to try that one out. I bought a discount sticker card from my son for his school fundraiser and I have two stickers for 20% off any entree for there on it. It sounds like the prices and portions are pretty decent. I tried to find info on it online but could only find an address listing basically. I love when restaraunts list their menus online because being on a tight budget, I am afraid to try places unless I know what to expect pricewise.
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/04 22:19:18
One waring about the breakfasts. They servee huge portions but avoid the ham. They use turkey ham!
britt
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/12 10:45:49
Went to Fairborn Diner last nite. Once again the prime ribs was good. Last time was mediu,ish but last one was MR and weighed at least 14oz. Not bad for 10.99
britt
Ashcollins84
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/18 17:46:24
The Fairborn Family Diner does not use Turkey ham, we use baked ham. I am the manager for the diner and if you do not belive me come in sometime and ask for Amy I will be glad to show you. Thanks and come and see us sometime!!!
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/18 18:29:41
Ive eaten at your diner at least a dozen times since you opened. I never had a complaint except on one breakfast. Im sorry, but as breakfast ham lover, I have to say that what I had the one time was if it was real ham, it had the same consitencency as the turkey variety. Also the slab I got must have weighed a pound, I just didnt enjoy it.
My wife loves the hot shots and Ill do the prime rib every time now.
britt
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/19 09:37:28
quote:
Originally posted by brittneal

Ive eaten at your diner at least a dozen times since you opened. I never had a complaint except on one breakfast. Im sorry, but as breakfast ham lover, I have to say that what I had the one time was if it was real ham, it had the same consitencency as the turkey variety. Also the slab I got must have weighed a pound, I just didnt enjoy it.
My wife loves the hot shots and Ill do the prime rib every time now.
britt

britt as a ham lover do you have any brands that you could recommend. I did not know that Fairborn had a diner until now. Do they have a website? If not maybe Amy could take a picture of it and post. I will give the place a try next week...Russ
wats13
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/20 12:52:00
I think I am going to try the pizza place everyone has been talking about tonight! I'm already hungry!

Has anyone been to Figlio's? I love it. I have never ate something there that wasn't good. I usually go with the lobster/crab ravioli...but they have lots of great pasta dishes. I have had good salads and pizza there as well. Great staff, I've never had to wait long to sit down, and the food is fantastic.

Also a big dublin pub fan. i usually get the whiskey chops ... and you must have the banana bomb for dessert.

i think some of the El Toro restaurants aren't so great, but the one across from the Greene is great in my opinion. i order queso every time...it's addictive. they sometimes call it "hot cheese" which is funny to me since most of them are not completely fluent in English. It's been packed on friday nights when i go...

I live near Christophers. I will have to check that place out. I ALSO have to try Tony's. I haven't had a fried Oreo before.

I'm so excited for this forum thread.
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/21 08:13:57
quote:
Originally posted by wats13

I think I am going to try the pizza place everyone has been talking about tonight! I'm already hungry!

Has anyone been to Figlio's? I love it. I have never ate something there that wasn't good. I usually go with the lobster/crab ravioli...but they have lots of great pasta dishes. I have had good salads and pizza there as well. Great staff, I've never had to wait long to sit down, and the food is fantastic.

Also a big dublin pub fan. i usually get the whiskey chops ... and you must have the banana bomb for dessert.

i think some of the El Toro restaurants aren't so great, but the one across from the Greene is great in my opinion. i order queso every time...it's addictive. they sometimes call it "hot cheese" which is funny to me since most of them are not completely fluent in English. It's been packed on friday nights when i go...

I live near Christophers. I will have to check that place out. I ALSO have to try Tony's. I haven't had a fried Oreo before.

Have you tried The Pub at The Greene? Excellent fish and chips, bangers and mash, and the bloody mary they serve is excellent. Not to mention the countless beers on tap there.....Russ

As for Tony's its not bad but no cheese whiz for the Philly.

I assume you are talking about Tronis if so you will not be dissappointed...Russ
pamelakrest
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/21 08:54:02
I have lived in Dayton/West Carrollton area all my life.
I am sure you have all heard about the Stewart Street Bridge demolition set to begin this coming Monday (6-23-2008). It's going to be a zoo on Monday.
Pamela
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/21 11:59:08
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by wats13

Have you tried The Pub at The Greene? Excellent fish and chips, bangers and mash, and the bloody mary they serve is excellent. Not to mention the countless beers on tap there.....Russ

As for Tony's its not bad but no cheese whiz for the Philly.

I assume you are talking about Tronis if so you will not be dissappointed...Russ
I generally get take-out pizzas from Troni's whenever I am in the area, as was the case last Thursday. None better.

BTW I learned recently that the brother of Troni's owner is now running a similar setup to Troni's at 3002 Woodward Drive in Kettering - the name is Jimmy's Italian Kitchen - I have not tried it yet - one of the owner's sons at Troni's told me that the brother is using a different formula for the pizza crust and it is not like Troni's exceptional crusts. If anyone tries it please let us know what you think. Here is a short piece on this new venture:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/b/content/oh/story/business/2008/05/16/ddn051608newrestaurantweb.html
wats13
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/23 10:26:09
Russ,

I tried Troni's on Friday night. LOVED it. Also had the garlic rolls. I can't wait to go back!!

I have been to the Pub at the Greene. I'm a fan of the fried pickles. And yes, great beer selection!
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/25 02:42:09
Fairborn diner 6/24. Toook my wifes son and GF there. As usual I asked if they can do a R=MR. I was told no. The owmer/cook died and the family went to Turkey for the funeral. The new manager had a meeting just that day with the new "rules" The server said that the policy was no meats cooked under mediu, for health reasons.
I told her that if it wasnt at least pink to cancel and Ill order something else. The kid had the NY. It was over a pound and when the food was done she served me first. I told her to cancel it I got told that they couldnt cancel it as it was already served. I worked that out but by that time it was too late to order for me.
They also over charged me 3 bux. I tried to explain it to the cashier and it was such a hassle, I just paid.
To the manager that posted here: I was fairly happy the last 6 weeks. After tonite I doubt youll see us againm unles things change.. We had been going there once a week.
britt
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/26 13:31:36
quote:

Fairborn diner 6/24. Toook my wifes son and GF there. As usual I asked if they can do a R=MR. I was told no. The owmer/cook died and the family went to Turkey for the funeral. The new manager had a meeting just that day with the new "rules" The server said that the policy was no meats cooked under mediu, for health reasons.

What a shame. I prefer my prime rib to be medium-rare at most and for steak in general, the bloodier the better. Most restaurants accommodate diners by printing up a caution on their menus about the possible health risks and allowing them to make their own decisions. It's kind of odd that this place wouldn't do the same...?
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/27 10:29:12
Family diner update. I called to clarify the meat policy. Last time we had a brand new server and they just had their policy meeting that day.
I called Amy the manager(she replied to my post on the ham)
She confirmed that not only would Prime rib be unavailable in MR but that she said her policy was to elimante any anything under medium. When asked why she said the cooks couldnt handle it and she was tired of "buying" steaks! She also informed me that the health dept frowned on anything on the rare side and actuallytold me to call if I didnt believe.
Bottom line she said said its like Spock said while dying..."The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.
I was flabberghasted!!
Amy, we have been regulars about every week and youll never see us again

What do you all think?!!

britt,
still on the quest of a true MR Prime rib Come on its not that hard....
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/27 10:43:18
Health dept advisory.. They informed me tha if a rest. doesnt have the consumer advisory printed on the menu, "THEY CANT SELL THEM"
Also the surface temp has to be over 140 or its a critical violation.
britt
zoom
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/27 14:44:02
Nelly's Chicken. The BEST chicken in the Miami Valley. It's owned by a Bolivian family, the Santillans, and offer a variety of specialities from that country. I confess I haven't tried most of them because the chicken is so very tasty. It's in a little strip mall on the intersection of Rt.725 and Alex Rd. You can eat-in or carry out. (No alcohol.) If you have to wait, get some fried plantains to hold you over. The owners are very friendly, even gave us a tour of the kitchen when we said it was our first time there.

BTW, I live a couple of blocks from the Golden Nugget. There is usually a line, but it's definitely worth the wait.
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/29 14:38:41
quote:

Family diner update. I called to clarify the meat policy. Last time we had a brand new server and they just had their policy meeting that day.
I called Amy the manager(she replied to my post on the ham)
She confirmed that not only would Prime rib be unavailable in MR but that she said her policy was to elimante any anything under medium. When asked why she said the cooks couldnt handle it and she was tired of "buying" steaks! She also informed me that the health dept frowned on anything on the rare side and actuallytold me to call if I didnt believe.
Bottom line she said said its like Spock said while dying..."The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.
I was flabberghasted!!
Amy, we have been regulars about every week and youll never see us again

What do you all think?!!

britt,
still on the quest of a true MR Prime rib Come on its not that hard....

I went to the Fairborn Diner last night with my wife, son and his friend. I had the Meatloaf with mushroom sauce, wife had cajun chicken on rice, son had fried clams, and his friend had the 21 piece shrimp basket. We all had fresh brewed ice tea served right from the brewer with a glass of ice on the side. It was strong and somr of the best tea in a longtime. Tea should be served this way as it is much easier to dissolved sugar in it. The meatloaf was very good and my wifes chicken dish was also quite good. The rice was excellent. The clam strips were also very good. Shrimp was the typical fare served at many places. The sides were onion rings (excellent) fries (very good) mashed potatoes homemade (excellent) coleslaw cut very fine (very good). They also served a bowl of ice cream to all patrons included with the meal. It was very crowded but the service was more than acceptable. Very simple place with little pizzaz. The pricing was extremely reasonable and the portions were correct size. None of us ordered the Prime Rib so I cant comment on it. But it was on the menu and it was $10.99 I think. I am always amazed how you can serve it at such a low price and it still be edible. There were about 4 or 5 daily specials available and a pretty good menu for a diner. The parking lot was full. I will definatly go back as I thought it was a good value. I did think the service was a little weak but it was busy and I found out that are server was brand new. And again it was very busy. brittneal you might want to order something else for awhile instead of the prime rib until they fix the cooking problem. But not going there because they cant get the one dish right might be a little harsh. Plus when the owner gets back they might fix it then....Russ
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/06/29 16:28:40
I said earlier that all the food was hearty portions at very agreeable prices. It is good quality diner food. The gravy they serve on the roast beef is actually excellent! I was just bummed up about the prime rib. As Russ commented, the size of the one I sent back was at least a pound(new cook) It broke my heart to send it back, but I never could eat meat well done-I seldom get a burger for that reason

I appologise for the comments I made-I couldnt believe it when she told me to call the HD. The told me thats on the recent report(it was the food inspector I talked with) She confirmed that unless the put the warning on under cooked meat where its in plain sight-The resturauntcould be closed for serving a medium rare stake.
Amy Im sorry for any grief I may have given you, I know you were trying your best todeal with it.
I will call occasiona;;y and if the prime rib ever gets MR or less Ill be back in a heart beat.
britt
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/04 16:37:26
In todays GO section of the Dayton Daily news there was an article on a Grand Opening of a new Greek restaurant Named GYRO's. As one never to turn down a Gyro I packed up my wife and son and headed out. It is located in the old Baja Fresh at 3020 S Dixie Dr, Kettering Ohio 45439 (937)29-GYROS. Closed Sunday's. We all had the Gyro Combo with Greek Salad. Gyro's were hot and the Pita bread was excellent. Salad was also very fresh. The place is spotless. I hope it stays that way. The Greek Fries were excellent as was the Bakalava. I will go back. Not as good as the Gyro Palace near the Dayton Mall. Not to be confused with The Greek Isle Deli in Fairborn on Airway which is HORRIBLE. All in all a very good lunch....Russ
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/04 16:46:19
I really enjoy the mediteranain joint on Woodman. The Gyros and home made fries are excellent.
britt
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/04 16:48:21
quote:

I really enjoy the mediteranain joint on Woodman. The Gyros and home made fries are excellent.
britt

I think that is the Greek Palace. The new one I mentioned is better. Give it a try britt...Russ
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/05 03:09:31
We went to Airway 1x only. First was the ignorant counter girls, The cashier was so badly sitted I thought it would drip on my food(Yikes thats staph!) There was turkish girl and a black girl cooking(actually farting around while every thing burned, Ny Gyro wasnt dry, It was crunchy!!!
Russ did you see the post on the smoker on 122 in middletown Its been a year or som but Id imagine they are still there. Nothing near it*stores or other things), Just a large gravel lot loaded w/cars
britt
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/05 03:15:56
We went to Airway 1x only. First was the ignorant counter girls, The cashier was so badly covered w/acne I thought it would drip on my food(Yikes thats staph!) There was turkish girl and a black girl cooking(actually farting around while every thing burned, Ny Gyro wasnt dry, It was crunchy!!!
Russ did you see the post on the smoker on 122 in middletown Its been a year or som but Id imagine they are still there. Nothing near it*stores or other things), Just a large gravel lot loaded w/cars
britt
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/06 02:22:30
quote:

We went to Airway 1x only. First was the ignorant counter girls, The cashier was so badly covered w/acne I thought it would drip on my food(Yikes thats staph!) There was turkish girl and a black girl cooking(actually farting around while every thing burned, Ny Gyro wasnt dry, It was crunchy!!!
britt

I sympathize with your poor dining experience, but I think anyone with a severe acne problems deserves some compassion and understanding. Also, acne does not automatically equal staph infection.

As for my own experiences, the last time I was at Gyro Palace near Dayton Mall, it seemed to me that the food quality had gone down. The tzatziki sauce was watery, the portions smaller. Now, I don't mind the latter quite so much because the original portions were huge, but I was rather sorry that the tzatziki sauce was thin and not quite as flavorful as it used to be, because that was one of my favorite things about ordering gyros! I hope they were just having an off day.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/06 10:33:41
I'm going to be in Dayton this week and want to take my boss to a good steak place. I know about The Pine Club but is there anything better I should consider?
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/06 12:08:29
Carvers, Flemmings, The Chop House, and The Pine Club.All are very good...Russ
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/07 17:04:00
Pine Club rates very high in my book.

If you want a french flair try L'Auberge in Kettering.
http://www.laubergedayton.com/

Nice, good, and not overly stuffy for a business/social dinner. YMMV.

jjjrfoodie
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/11 15:12:15
I was with a co-worker so it wasn't entirely my decision and then I realized/remembered the Pine Club does not take credit cards; being cash challenged we chose to go to Oregon District and ate at Cafe Boulevard. Wonderfully good filet mignon done with three excellent sauces that I really enjoyed.
I'll be better prepared for Pine Club on next visit.
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/07/23 13:03:29
Well, on my way to a meeting in Dayton last nite I needed to grab dinner, and a lot of Dayton foodies here mentioned Troni's. I'd thought I'd make the trek.

Grabbed a New York Style pizza with pepperoni and sausage and man, you folks have a little locally owned non-chain gem there.

Crust was browned with little blackend bits on the bottom and crunchy on the edges, but foldable like a NY pizza should be. Fresh made and shaved sausage--none of that crumbly stuff.

We've got maybe 3 or 4 non-chain places I go to here in Cincy and this is up there with the best.

No, Troni's is not cheap. But it's nice yet casual enough that you could feel like going for a date nite and eat in, or get a carryout pizza and pay a little more for good quality pie. Lasagna portions were HUGE! Seems to be vegetarian friendly as well. I want to try the white spinach pizza next time I am up.

My pie :)

Menu

jjjrfoodie
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/17 10:28:17
VOLTZY'S at 4501 Kettering Blvd is opening a permanent structure right next to the trailer he currently has. Rick Volz has been running a trailer in Kettering forever maybe 20 years or so. Excellent hamburgers, hot dogs and other assorted things. Rick is one of the nicest individuals you will ever meet.He also has an amazing way of remembering just about everyone that has ever been to his trailer. He uses fresh ground beef daily and serves top quality everything. It is only open from 11 to 2 or so daily in the corner of a parking lot. He always has a dirty or of the wall joke. And the patrons are as diverse as it gets. If you haven't been to his place make sure you go prior to the permanent place opens and after it is built. I guarantee your visit to be rewarding and interesting....Russ

Here are a few reviews:

#
Voltzys is the BEST!!!!! My son and his friends told me of it a year or so ago. They went there almost daily for lunch during high school. The place is well on its way to being an iconic location for many generations!
Was this review helpful? Yes - No(Report Problem)
OVERALL
#
Best burgers in the land
By A Yahoo! Contributer, 11/22/06
Looking for good food, Voltzy's is it. Rick the owner is awesome and his food is killer. It is a burger stand environment. But, if you can find better food anywhere, tell the world. Soups, greasy burgers, awesome food. Leave the cholesterol counter at home and just enjoy.
OVERALL
#
Our new favorite!!
By A Yahoo! Contributer, 05/20/06
I went to Voltzy's for the first time today and in addition to the wonderful cheeseburgers, Rick (the owner) treated me to an awesome slaw dog (in honor of our both being from Fort Wayne!) I am so glad we live close to this lunch heavan and can't wait to go back.
OVERALL
#
Great Food!! I am sorry I just heard about it!
By A Yahoo! Contributer, 02/13/06
Wow this little hamburger stand has the best burgers I have had in a long time. Everything from the "Voltzy" to the "Hog" to the "Murph" to the Philly Steak has been delicious. First timers will thoroughly enjoy themselves. In fact I can't wait to go back every week for some "love and affection".
Honestly the food is so good you will go back time and time again.
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/26 01:06:55
A couple weekends ago, I went to the newish Kohinoor Palace Indian restaurant across from the Dayton Mall. (It's in that shopping strip with the halal grocery and A Taste of the Mediterranean.)

The weekend buffet is more expensive (around $11-12/person, I think it was), but well worth it-- especially if you want to get a sampling of southern Indian cuisine. I was surprised and pleased to see dosas on the buffet line, nicely crisp and filled with a spiced lentil/potato mixture. They had something called "Sikh kebabs" that tasted like sausage with sauteed onions and peppers (very accessible even if you don't ordinarily like Indian food, IMO), a tasty chickpea curry, an excellent goat curry, as well as the usual tandoori chicken, butter chicken curry (basically, chicken tikka masala), saag, lentils, pakoras, etc. Along with naan, they had a puffy deep-fried bread that was delicious.

It tasted/looked a bit more homestyle: the saag isn't pureed as finely, and overall the dishes seemed to be less rich than usual, which is fine by me. Even so, I didn't have room for a return trip to the buffet line. :) Everything was well-seasoned, but not particularly spicy.

Kohinoor Palace
39 S. Springboro Pike
Miamisburg, OH 45342

http://www.kohinoorpalace.com/Default.aspx

Not sure if the weekday buffet will have as many items, but I'll definitely check it out sometime. Highly recommended if you love Indian food, and their menu isn't just another clone of Amar India's. (Which is also good, but I find their buffet a little bland and not as interesting.)

RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/28 12:06:12
Last Saturday I had a pepperoni pizza at DJ's Pizza Alley in Tipp City:
[URL='http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/Brad_Olson/Roadfood/OlsonBr-R2-048-22A.jpg'][/URL]

My full writeup is [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29858']here[/url] in the Pizza forum.

Brad
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/28 22:46:24
About staph in acne on FS worker. The basic bad skin acne is caused by folliculitis. This from staph bacteria living on the skins surface and spreading. What I had meant about the worker at the gyro shop was she had white pus filled blotches on her face. While i watched she was constantantly picking at her face while talking to a co-worker. They wore no gloves and touched the food w/ bare hands. Thats what i refered to. I wasnt saying that a person should be denied permissin to work due to acne. Only that proper food handling practices were followed(not). She was probably a relative due to appearance and work ethic. I would have found a different employee and have her bussing and other tasks less sensitive to food safety!
britt
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/29 01:19:30
quote:
[brThe basic bad skin acne is caused by folliculitis. This from staph bacteria living on the skins surface and spreading.

Actually, that's incorrect. Acne and folliculitis may look similar, but they are NOT the same thing. The former is a blockage of the skin pores, the latter is an inflammation/infection of the hair follicle. Acne may lead to folliculitis, but they're not interchangeable terms.
Also, although staph is a common cause of folliculitis, not all folliculitis is caused by staph. Some are caused by other types of common bacteria, which you may already be in contact with on your own skin.

The food-handling practices you describe are indeed regrettable, but it still doesn't mean that acne automatically equals a staph infection. A discreet (and non-judgemental) word with the manager might be in order.

arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/29 01:24:06
Has anyone been to Central Perc European Cafe in Oakwood? I hear they offer a full British afternoon tea, but they don't seem to have a website or menu listed online, and I only found a small handful of reviews. If you've had the afternoon tea (or anything else there) I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences!
erikkoik
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/30 08:07:20
quote:
Originally posted by Earl of Sandwich

I'm going to be in Dayton this week and want to take my boss to a good steak place. I know about The Pine Club but is there anything better I should consider?
Sorry to be late to this, but if you don't go to the Pine Club, go to the Oakwood Club. Steaks are equally good, they take credit cards and I think is the atmosphere a little better.
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/30 20:26:20
I went to Slyders tonite for the first time. Cheese Burger Fries, Onion Rings and a couple beers. Great old tavern with fresh ground Hamburgers served MEDIUM RARE thats right MEDIUM RARE. Everything was excellent including the fries and rings. Will be back often and they have a great array of patrons. Dont miss this great 60 year old Tavern...Russ
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/31 18:33:22
Slyders, a classic old Belmont hangout. I need to try it sometime, after all, I grew up about 4 blocks away.

News: Roc-A-Fellas (home of the Bronx Bomber Pizza) appears to have just closed its location in the Kroger plaza in Centerville. They did a robust business in the little "Dairy Queen" diner style place on the east side of Far Hills (between Franklin St. and Alex-Bell) but they inexplicably relocated to the site of the former "Sipps Cafe" next to Kroger about a year ago. I always thought that the "Sipps" location was way too fancy for a pizza and calzone place.The old location (I think it was at one time "The Hungry Elk" and was a diner before) was fun and personable. The new location seemed really sterile. Just my opinion.

They had a good pizza and will be missed.

Does anyone know of any other Roc-A-Fellas locations in the Dayton area?
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/31 18:42:16
quote:
Originally posted by donw9876

Slyders, a classic old Belmont hangout. I need to try it sometime, after all, I grew up about 4 blocks away.

News: Roc-A-Fellas (home of the Bronx Bomber Pizza) appears to have just closed its location in the Kroger plaza in Centerville. They did a robust business in the little "Dairy Queen" diner style place on the east side of Far Hills (between Franklin St. and Alex-Bell) but they inexplicably relocated to the site of the former "Sipps Cafe" next to Kroger about a year ago. I always thought that the "Sipps" location was way too fancy for a pizza and calzone place.The old location (I think it was at one time "The Hungry Elk" and was a diner before) was fun and personable. The new location seemed really sterile. Just my opinion.

I stopped going to Rock - A - Fellas when I was turned on to Troni's. No comparison and I think the best pie in Ohio. Rock-a-Fellas never really hit the mark in quality and the other dishes they served were below par. Plus the original location was always dirty. The one in Beavercreek Ohio is still open on Dayton Xenia Road which was the old DVD Pizza. Pizza is pretty good but I like Flying Pizza and of course Troni's way better...Russ
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/31 18:50:05
quote:

quote:

I stopped going to Rock - A - Fellas when I was turned on to Troni's. No comparison and I think the best pie in Ohio. Rock-a-Fellas never really hit the mark in quality and the other dishes they served were below par. Plus the original location was always dirty. The one in Beavercreek Ohio is still open on Dayton Xenia Road which was the old DVD Pizza. Pizza is pretty good but I like Flying Pizza and of course Troni's way better...Russ
I think Troni's is about a good a pizza as one can get out of NYC area - being from Yonkers NY originally I grew up on NY style pizzas. I think both Flying Pizza and Roc-a-Fellas pizzas fall way short as their crusts are plain awful.
Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/31 18:56:58
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:

quote:

I think Troni's is about a good a pizza as one can get out of NYC area - being from Yonkers NY originally I grew up on NY style pizzas. I think both Flying Pizza and Roc-a-Fellas pizzas fall way short as their crusts are plain awful.

You are the one who turned me on to Troni's. And I agree with your assessment of Rock and Flying. But living in what I call the most deprived Pizza State in the Country. Those were the only options I had. Marions, Papa Johns, LaRosas, Dominos, Little Ceasears and Cassanos I dont think so I would rather eat the Box a Troni's Pizza comes in...Russ
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/31 20:15:37
I wish this hallowed Troni's of the magnificent pie would open a branch location a bit farther south, for us lumpenproletariat in Warren County. :)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/31 20:58:22
quote:

I wish this hallowed Troni's of the magnificent pie would open a branch location a bit farther south, for us lumpenproletariat in Warren County. :)
We travel from Lake Waynoka in Brown County to Kettering (77 miles and an hour and a half up country 2 lane blacktop for the most part) to get our fix of Troni's about once a month - if I lived closer I would be having weight problems probably!
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/08/31 23:01:47
That must be a hell of a pizza!
brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/09/01 06:32:32
Does anyone remember Masters Touch Pizza in Dayton? I worked over a 100 hrs a week mu 1st trip to dayton and stayed in a motel. Every place I was near closed when i had time to eat(11pm) even wendys was shut down, They not only had a huge menu but delivered late(after midnite) I would always get the fried pork chops or chicken dinner. Either fries or tater tots,slaw and a whiye dinner roll. They were both great. I ordered 6X a week and loved it, i was hooked on the tender, juicy chops! When I moved here in 98 they were gome. Bummer
I stayed at the sleazy Royal motes just up from parkside. There were alsways hookers and crack heads running around so I never left a thing in the room
Whem I timk about it there was one of the chromed diners next door. The type built like a trailer ot RR car. They had great food but closed early. I ate there a couple of sundays. Remember that old time diner? Pure roadfood(food and atmosphere both)
britt
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/09/11 18:32:34
quote:

That must be a hell of a pizza!
That it is! Made the trip again today, with our lunchbunch group, to try out Jimmy's Italian Kitchen at 3002 Woodman Drive in Kettering. Jimmy is a brother of Troni's owner but Jimmy's pizza is terrible - the crust is mushy and tasteless. Their sausage rolls and antipasto salad were fairly good.

They are about a half mile from Troni's and I picked up a takeout pizza from the Troni's on the way back (which as usual was excellent).
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/09/18 12:29:38
I was in Dayton this past Saturday and on my way to my party, I thought I'd stop by Hooks Bar-B-Cue and get some barbecue to go and give it a try.

I do have to admit this place was in a pretty rough part of town, but on the bright side there were 3 or 4 little mom and pop barbecue places doing their deal in parking lots so it is the place to be if hunting for rogue roadfood.

At Hooks, I got a barbeque bologna sandwich, mac and cheese and pork shoulder order to go. (I stopped at a little parking lot place to sample one of the parking lot purveyor's bbq pork shoulder, but sadly, they were out)

I dug in later that nite, and while the food quality was very good, this was not true barbeque. There was not a hint of smoke flavor or smell to be found in either the bologna or the pork shoulder. None.

The bologna was a nice thick slab that had been roast as a whole tube, then pan fried after slicing, but my guess is that they have a very large grill type cooker, but no smoke box at all. The pork shoulder was moist, but again, tasted as if I had cooked it in my oven at home.

The mac and cheese was smooth and cheesy and worthy of ordering again as a side.

It was worth the side jaunt to scope out the neighborhood, but I won't be heading back anytime soon with places like Smokin' BBQ just downtown a few miles offereing real low and slow smoked BBQ.

Hooks Bar-B-Cue
(937) 277-0006.
2324 N Gettysburg Ave Dayton, OH 45406

jjjrfoodie

EDIT: there were a few places on Salem up from Good Sam Hostipal that looked interesting. A red and white barn selling philly cheesesteaks and a hot dog stand south of that serving Vienna Beef dogs, burgers, and the like, but not a chain by any means. LMK if anyone knows more.
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/09/19 18:28:50
A shame. We've only gotten the slab of ribs at Hooks BBQ before and really enjoyed them. They didn't strike me as being fake BBQ then, but I'll have to pay more attention next time.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/10/15 09:58:15
Trying the Brazilian place -- Cena -- the weekend after next. I promise to give a full report.

Amor de Brazil in Mason was awesome, but it was $45. Cena is $32. I'm curious to see if the quality isn't as good or it's just a better value.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/10/15 12:11:54
Amor de Brazil in Mason has been closed for many months. Restaurants drop like flies around there...
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/10/15 15:08:52
But the good ones - like Deweys Pizza - prosper and expand - their operations are one of the few ones where I can truthfully say their branches are as good as the original operation. And that is saying something.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown 2008/10/15 23:18:53
quote:

Amor de Brazil in Mason has been closed for many months. Restaurants drop like flies around there...

I know Amor is closed. That's why we're going to Cena.

NY - Man, that Troni's pizza does look good. Gotta try it sometime soon.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6 - Powered by APG vNext Trial