Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 60 of 323
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Reward points : 0
Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/9/08 1:39 PM
Some of my favorites are:
Thai Nine By far my favorite Thai food in Ohio Service is always excellent. Heat level of the food can vary depending who is cooking. I love it hot but beware a 6 out of 10 can be more like a 9 sometimes. Pad Thai and Garlic Walleye are two of my many favorites.

Momma DiSalvos for Italian the sauce is available at some of the local grocery stores if you are from the area I am sure you have seen it. Nothing fancy here just homemade Italian food at a good price. Spaghetti is great especially the Garlic and Olive oil version. I have tried to duplicate it but theres is still way better.

Carvers for a great steak and Martini as good as the Precinct in Cincy.

These are some of my favorites...Russ

Looking forward to your favorites!

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4484
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/9/08 2:13 PM
:-)

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/9/08 2:16 PM
I lived there for 6 yeas. All the chaims where there. Cracker Barrel, Golden Corral, Applebees, O'Charlies, etc. All the fast food there was. A frickers and Wild wings. A couple Chinese buffets. The old hotel down town for fancy vittles. DOwntown had 3 bars/taverns with decent food and a Mom and Pop greek diner-all shut down due to the mall(Oh yeah-food court).
Really no "local flavor" left anywhere.
Just fast food and franchises(Steak and Shake, Wendys, BK, McD, Long Johns and Cpt d's, Lees and the Col.) And 2 fair Mexiacn Joints-El Rancho(I gave up ordering a steak as the waiter couldnt figure out Medium Rare) and got the fajitas for 2(it was enough for 2 meals as left overs-not bad at all-Chicken, steak and jumbo shrimp-
There was a truck with a smoker trailer that parked off the street that was always packed but we never tried it and also a "bodega" downtown with fresh made mexican food and dogs.
If you want a memorable meal in Middletown-Good luck!
britt

brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/9/08 2:22 PM
In Dayton there is a true Road Food joint. http://www.pugsdoghouse.com/. If you ask for the fries on the side you get a bag full!
I love the dogs and IB sandwiches. Tried the hot pastrami and corned beef and was disappointed.
Definatly a must try!
britt

There are a couple of decent Itialin places(basically sit down pizza/pasta places). Only went to one and it was good, but Italian isnt our thing(Acid reflux)

TJ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/9/08 2:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by brittneal

If you want a memorable meal in Middletown-Good luck!

What about Capozzi's and Schiavone's?

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/9/08 2:40 PM
quote:

In Dayton there is a true Road Food joint. http://www.pugsdoghouse.com/. If you ask for the fries on the side you get a bag full!
I love the dogs and IB sandwiches. Tried the hot pastrami and corned beef and was disappointed.
Definatly a must try!
britt

There are a couple of decent Itialin places(basically sit down pizza/pasta places). Only went to one and it was good, but Italian isnt our thing(Acid reflux)

I have been there many times and I agree. Good Chicago Dog also...Russ

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/9/08 2:45 PM
A great burger can be found in at Benjamins the Burger Master 1000 N Main St, Dayton, OH ribs and chicken are good also it is just down the street from Chicken Louie's.
In Dayton it is by far my favorite Burger. My favorite in the state can be found at Crabils in Urbana...Russ

DoctorDan
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/9/08 3:18 PM
Interesting that nobody mentioned the Pine Club. I
worked at WHIO in Dayton for a while and the general
manager took us to dinner at the Pine Club. The best
trout almandine I have ever had. My co-worker had lamb
chops that he said were amazingly good.
They didn't take reservations and the wait was always
at least 1/2 hour - but it was certainly worth it!!

Doctor Dan

jmeinhardt
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Tue, 03/11/08 10:10 PM
I have been a lurker her for quite sometime. Living in Middletown and working in Dayton I will travel anywhere from North Dayton to the Ohio River to eat.

I have been working in Dayton for just over a year now ( I use to work in Fairfield) and have come across some good places. So this new Dayton topic makes me want to chime in.

First, I will have to second Thai Nine on Brown St, just off of 5th St, in the Oregon district. I work about 5 minutes from Thai Nine but just tried it for the first time last week. The place doesn't look like much from the outside but it is very nice inside. For a Wednesday evening they were doing a good business, so they must be doing something right. It was my families first time at a Thai restaurant so I have no bases to compare but we all thought the food was very good. I enjoyed the Mango Salad found under their appetizers and found the combination of mango, onion and coconut to be refreshing. It was also packing some heat. I ordered Pad Thai for my main course since it was the only Thai dish that I had heard of. I ordered it with a heat level of 4 fearing that I might not like it if it was to spicey but at 4 it was pretty weak. I have heard the same as Russ stated above that the heat level can be inconsistent. We will definitely go back to Thai Nine to try out some other Thai dishes. Oh yea, they do have a sushi bar that is suppose to be pretty good.

http://www.thai9restaurant.com

The Dublin Pub is another good spot, just down the street from Thai Nine at the corner of 5th St and Wayne Ave. The Dublin Pub is a favorite spot for a beer after work but they also have some killer food. I'm partial to an appetizer they have called Blarney Stones. Made from potatoes, andouille sausage and cheeses that are breaded and deep fried. Very tasty and like nothing else I have had, but at $8 they are a little pricey. I have had their Reuben and Huntsman sandwiches as well as the Bully Beef Shot and all were good pub food. I need to get back here to try something new as everthing on the menu kind of grabs at ya. They also have live music on the weekends.

http://www.dubpub.com/

I have some more places I will share later.

For TJ Jackson - Capozzi's in Middletown closed their doors a few months back but Schiavone's is still around.

Suburban Dad
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Tue, 03/11/08 10:59 PM
In Dayton, Milano's and the Submarine House(both on Brown) had truly great subs. Tanks bar had excellent chili. Golden Nugget pancake house for breakfast. Marion's pizza (supreme with extra cheese) for a great thin crust pizza.

pamelakrest
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Tue, 03/11/08 11:37 PM
Russ Jackson & Suburban Dad,you all must be my neighbors :-) I am also in the Dayton,Ohio.
I agree with you Russ about Benjamins the Burger Master, their doubles are awesome. Tried a triple one time and I could hear my heart fluttering hahaha .Broke my heart to find out that Dominics closed,the food wasn't that exciting but LOVED the salad,garlic overload YUMMM.Carvers does have awesome steaks but you can't grilling your own from the beef at Landes meat market and soooo fresh eggs at Bushel & a Peck. The hens were on the eggs just a day or 2 before :-)
Suburban Dad, Submarine House is truly a good sub, but El Greco's
rules when it comes to subs and pizza.Remember when Cassano's used to have great pizza (now it sucks)El Greco's Pizza Villa on Salem Ave has THE BEST pizza , like Cassano's it's old time oven baked.
When you get a delux pizza at El Greco's you have a pizza that weighs a ton,no joking hahaha made a mistake once and asked for extra cheese and it actually had TOO much cheese hahaha
It's a little tiny hole in the wall place, right around the corner from the Donut Palace, the guy that runs the place (Nathan) is a really nice guy and knows how to make an awesome pizza.
I am happy as a clam to see ppls from my area on here
Pamela

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Wed, 03/12/08 11:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Suburban Dad

In Dayton, Milano's and the Submarine House(both on Brown) had truly great subs. Tanks bar had excellent chili. Golden Nugget pancake house for breakfast. Marion's pizza (supreme with extra cheese) for a great thin crust pizza.

The Golden Nugget was closed for quite sometime. I think they had a fire. I went there with my wife about two weeks ago in the late am during the week. The food and service was very good. There was a line to get in but it moved quick. An excellent breakfast place. As to the other post on the quality of Sushi at Thai 9, I have been to most of the Sushi places in Cincy and Dayton and it is my favorite. I have eaten at Thai 9 atleast 50 times and never had a bad meal. My daughter was purposed to by her soon to be husband there last month...Russ

brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Wed, 03/12/08 4:04 PM
Also on on Brown St. is the Old Hickory. I always went for the big sirloin. It weighed 24ozs, over an inch thick with the diaganol bone in the center. I remember when all sirloins where like that. Just like the missing chuck 7-bone and arm steaks. You cant even fine a bone in round steak anymore!and was folded over to fit the platter. With the homebaked bead it was great to sop up all the juices. Last time I was there was '92 and it was 9.95. Go there on a Sat. and the line to get in is around the block. You get to watch the ribs and chicken spin on the rottisserie as you waited. By the time I got in I would be starved
Accross the street is Wah Fu. A great Mom and Pop chinese joint. They used to have chopped suez on the menu.
britt

Atleye
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Wed, 03/12/08 5:49 PM
Former Daytonian here (Kettering), now in Atlanta. In no particular order:

Pine Club - great steaks + a good burger.

Christopher's (Kettering)- home cooked food. good stuff.

Tanks - great burger and fries. One of the best chilis in town too.

El Meson - Spanish fusion. excellent.

Thai 9 as stated above.

DiSalvos - especially the DiSalvo Deli and their incredible Meatball grinder.

Jay's Seafood - heard it has gone downhill a bit. It used to be very good.

Paccia - see Jay's above.

Burgermaster - good stuff.

Golden Nugget - I remember the Country Omelette special...omelette stuffed with sausage, cheese, potato and onion, and then covered with sausage gravy (heart attack special).

Hickory on Brown (I believe different than Old Hickory on N.Main - I think they used to be the same company, then split). It should also be noted that while Dominics is gone, the Pine Club and Hickory both have similar salads, albiet with a lot less garlic. Speaking of Dominics, a friend of mine in Atlanta is a Mantilla. Go figure.

As for Wa Fu, I never ate there, but remember going down to the old Walnut Hills in college - we always joked that Wa Fu was a drug front. I knew many people who were towed from their lot.

Marions, Ron's, or Cassanos. All good, but with Marion's make sure to go to the Shroyer location and order your pizza from the old ovens (this applies to all Marion's). To get a good Cassano's pie, go to the main location on Stroop.

Milanos - not the same as it used to be, but still good.

I agree with the poster above that the best burger around is Crabill's up in Urbana. I've done the whole Crabills, Kewpie's (in Lima) and back down to Greenville for Maid Rite. Good times.

Chicken Louies was good as well - I remember when it was Lou's Broaster Hut.

Two good breakfast places that closed down last year: Chili King and the Breakfast Club.

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Wed, 03/12/08 7:13 PM
I really didnt like Marions Pizza the first few times I went but it has since grown on me. The round pizza with little or no end crust cut into little pieces is pretty good. Definatly a Dayton thing. However I think the two best pizzas in town are Rock-a-Fellas if it is hot. They seem to have a little trouble getting it to you right out of the oven for some reason. Maybe it is the young staff that doesnt pay attention to detail. And The Flying Pizza. They are both NY Style Pies...Russ

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Thu, 03/13/08 8:09 PM
OK.... here are a couple places for hamburgers.

My favorite.... Slyder's Tavern on Watervliet Ave, just off Smithville Rd. Big fat juicy burgers cooked to perfection. I went today and the special was a Juseppi (sp??) Burger and frys for I think $5.95. It was a burger on a grilled garilc bun, melted provolen cheese, grilled red peppers with a smidegen of marinara sauce. Not my usual type of burger but man-o-man was it good.

Another good place is Kramer's Tavern on Irving Ave. Good burgers at a neighborhood tavern for a good price. They have a meatball sub and salad for less than $6 on Tuesdays. The guys at work say it's good, but I wouldn't know because everytime I've gone to get one they have been sold out. I'm going to have to make an early lunch run one Tuesday.

Suburban Dad
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Thu, 03/13/08 9:27 PM
Does Kramers still serve the 40oz beers...always a good time. Also, Is Wympees still around?? Greasy spoon type of place

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Thu, 03/13/08 9:47 PM
I'm not sure about the 40oz beers at Kramer's, but I think I remember seeing a sign on the wall about them. Since I have only been there for lunch during working hours I have to skip the beer.

Wympee's on Third Street is still open. Although I can not say I have been there. It's one of those places I keep wanting to stop and try but just haven't got to. It looks like it's been there for ever.

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sat, 03/15/08 9:15 AM
Has anyone ever tried Wympee's on third street for a Burger?...Russ

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sat, 03/15/08 11:24 AM
I will make a point to stop at Wympee's next week so I can report back.

Tonight my wife and I are trying El Meson in West Carrollton for the first time. I have heard nothing but good things about it, but the menu online looks a little pricey.

Jim

Earl of Sandwich
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sat, 03/15/08 11:54 PM
Glad to hear about the Pine Club; my brother-in-law's brother was a chef there for many years.
I too have always wanted to stop at the Wympee Burger for a burger and never got around to it.

Atleye
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sat, 03/15/08 11:55 PM
Jim,

It's probably too late, but prices are lower if you stick to the tapas. There is a great selection, and everything I tried was good.

Please let us know about Wympee's as I haven't been there for years. I also heard that there is a decent burger at a former Wympee's (I think on Monument. I think is is called Yummy Burger or something like that.

In addition, I second the burger at Slyders. I wear my Slyders shirt around Atlanta.

Bonk
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/16/08 9:44 AM
quote:

Definatly a must try!
britt

We've been to Pug's a couple of times. The food is good, but my (Italian) beef is that the tables are always filthy when we eat in.

Since Hotdogginit opened just north of Cinci we haven't been back.

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/16/08 9:45 PM
Went to El Meson in West Carrollton Saturday night. The food at this restaurant just didn't do it for me. I really wanted to like this place too. It has the history the ambiance and a varied menu. The service was excellent and the margaritas good but the food was lacking especially at their prices.

We started with a Tapa that was baked turnover empanadas. They were stuffed with scallops, onions, peppers and parsley and came two to an order. They looked very tasty but the flavor was kind of fishy and not much better than a frozen pizza roll. At $9 it was a disappointment.

For a main dish I had grilled beef medallions topped with chipotle pepper sauce and cheese on top. It was served with a small salad on the side, saffron rice and garbanzo beans. The chipotle sauce had a great earthly flavor and the beef was cooked just right. The menu didn't name the type of beef being used for the dish but I would describe it as a small, thick cut of sirloin. It was good... not great, and for twenty five dollars I would have expected a much better cut of beef.

My wife had their salmon stack entree. It was a layered dish with garlic potato salad on the bottom, then a layer of black beans and a small piece of salmon on top. It was served with a small salad on the side, sliced apples and grapes. My wife and I both found this dish rather bland and lacking in flavor. We both felt it needed some kind of oomph. Our opinion.... it is a twenty five dollar overpriced dish lacking in flavor.

Maybe we picked the wrong dishes but all-in-all I would rather have spent my dining dollars at another restaurant.

Jim

ohio travelin
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Wed, 03/19/08 9:57 PM
Treasure Island in Moraine, at the Dryden Road exit. Best Prime Rib ever. It is served Friday and Saturday night 4-close. Kind of a supper club kinda place. Reminds me of a time when Merv could smoke on TV.

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sat, 03/22/08 7:32 PM
Finally made it to Wympees' on third street. I have been wanting to try this place just so that I could say that I have been there. I here it has been around since the 1930's.

I drug two co-workers along with me and we sat at the counter facing the front window. We all three ordered burgers and we all thought they were pretty good. I had their Patty Melt Hamburger. It came with grilled onions and cheese on rye. It was grilled like you would make a grilled cheese sandwich. I would say the hamburger patty was cooked first and then the sandwich was assembled and thrown back on the grill to toast the bread and melt the cheese. Very tasty indeed.

Jim

Atleye
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/24/08 11:57 AM
Jim -

Sorry to hear about El Meson. I hope that it was an off night, as I really enjoyed the few times I've been there. It has been a couple years, so maybe they have gone downhill. I agree on the high costs - needs to be lower.

On another note, it is good to read your report on Wympee's. I'll have to give that a shot next time I'm in town.

By the way, are there still any White Tower restaurants downtown (similar building to Wympee's). I remember a decent quarter pound burger that had a giant slice of Vidalia onion on it.

TJ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/24/08 2:18 PM
This new thread is kickin' butt :-)

Keep it up, folks :-)

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/24/08 7:26 PM
Went to Slyder's Tavern again today. I've talked the place up so much at work five other people wanted to go. Todays special was a 10oz BBQ, Bacon, Cheesburger with fires for just under $7.00. Five of us had the special and it was all thumbs up. Although it would have been better for me without the BBQ sauce. Still the best, most consistent burger in Dayton. Always juicy and cooked to perfection with just a hint of pink in the middle. And the service is always topnotch and friendly.

We have plans to go back for lunch on Friday to try their fried walleye. I've heard it is good here but I haven't tried it yet.

Atleye -
I sure wanted to like El Meson. Maybe we just picked the wrong foods to try, but at their prices it will be hard to go back and sample other dishes.

Yes, Wympee's is still kickin and grilling good burgers. I hear their omlets are pretty good.... just might stop in for breakfast one day.

I've heard of White Tower Restaurants but not sure where they are. I think I heard one or both of them have closed. I will have to find out for sure.

Jim

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/24/08 7:44 PM
I will try to hit Slyders tommorow for lunch if I have time. I will also tell you if I think they are better than Benjamins....Russ

Also does anyone have favorite Sushi Places?

brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Tue, 03/25/08 11:39 AM
From my experience the tables at pugs really arent designed to die on. Its so small that during the rush you would be jostled to pieces. Standard fast food eiitquite calls for bussing your own table. When those folks are busy there isnt a chance to wipe tables and offer fast, efficient service. We always eat in the car, summer or winter. Then I can get a kraut dog for dessert if im still hungry!
britt

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sat, 03/29/08 11:21 AM
Has anyone tried the new restaurant named Salsas on Airway rd? I am going to try it today. My favorite mexican food is from Taqueria Mixteca on 3rd street. Great Taco Stand! I will report back on Salsas...Russ

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sat, 03/29/08 3:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

I really didnt like Marions Pizza the first few times I went but it has since grown on me. The round pizza with little or no end crust cut into little pieces is pretty good. Definatly a Dayton thing. However I think the two best pizzas in town are Rock-a-Fellas if it is hot. They seem to have a little trouble getting it to you right out of the oven for some reason. Maybe it is the young staff that doesnt pay attention to detail. And The Flying Pizza. They are both NY Style Pies...Russ
I am from the metro NYC area and the only pizza in the Dayton area I think that really resembles NYC thin crust pizzas in taste and quality can be found at Troni's Pizzeria and Restaurant in Kettering, at 1314 E. Dorothy Lane (tel 643 9921 / 643 9927). It is run by an Albania immigrant family, mom, dad, son and daughter. They have somehow learned the secret of making a great pizza and I would not go anywhere else in the Dayton area for a pie. They also offer Sicilian style pies. I have been to Flying Pizza and Roc-A-Fellas and both of their pies fall down because their crust is cakey and too much like all the chain crusts. I have found lots of pizza places in Ohio claim to make NY type pies but very very few really do. They normally fail due their crust being very bad to terrible.

Troni's is mentioned here at the Dayton Daily News Leadbelly blog:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/leadbelly/entries/2007/02/07/tronis_pizza_sa.html

For those not entirely sure what I am talking about this link will give a clear picture of what a NY thin crust pizza pie is supposed to be like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza

This is the kind of pizza pie Troni's makes - and if that is what you really are looking for they are the place in Dayton to go. They are closed on Sundays.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9788
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sat, 03/29/08 6:03 PM
Any chance the Breakfast Club reopened? They said in their sign that if they could find good help, they would reopen.

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 03/30/08 7:20 PM
Went for the the fish special at Slyder's on Friday for the first time and can report it's the real deal. Fresh walleye with either mac & cheese or fries and coleslaw. The fish was lightly breaded and mild flavored with three good sized fillets being served. Not a mac & cheese guy I had their fries which are good but the coleslaw however was bland and tasteless. With drink and tax my tab was a very reasonable $7.86. Made for a very tasty lunch.

This weeks new place for lunch is suppose to be Tank's, I hear they have really good chili.

Jim

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/31/08 6:24 PM
Russ,

Where on 3rd street is Taqueria Mixteca? I am on a quest to find authentic Tacos Al Pastor like I had from street vendors in Acapulco. The meat for Al Pastor is cooked on a spit much like gyros and shaved off as it gets done to make the tacos.

Jim

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/31/08 6:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jmeinhardt

Russ,

Where on 3rd street is Taqueria Mixteca? I am on a quest to find authentic Tacos Al Pastor like I had from street vendors in Acapulco. The meat for Al Pastor is cooked on a spit much like gyros and shaved off as it gets done to make the tacos.

Jim

They serve a Carne Asada Taco that is similar and should fill the need. The street vendors in Mexico serve them that way with onions, raddishes, pico de gallo, cilantro,and limes on two warmed corn tortillias in wax paper.

Jim,
Taqueria Mixteca can be found at 1609 East 3rd Street, Dayton, OH 45403 · 937-258-2654.

There is also a great Mexican Grocery store on Troy Pike I will get the address for you tommorow.

...Russ

NYPIzzaNut
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/31/08 6:59 PM
quote:

quote:

Russ,

Jim

They serve a Carne Asada Taco that is similar and should fill the need. The street vendors in Mexico serve them that way with onions, raddishes, pico de gallo, cilantro,and limes on two warmed corn tortillias in wax paper.

Jim,
Taqueria Mixteca can be found at 1609 East 3rd Street, Dayton, OH 45403 · 937-258-2654.

There is also a great Mexican Grocery store on Troy Pike I will get the address for you tommorow.

...Russ
I did not realize that they serve cilantro in Mexico on their food - I thought that was just something they did in the USA.

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/31/08 7:07 PM
I lived in San Diego for 14 years cilantro is in everything served in Mexico. Maybe not in Mexico City or way down south. But all along Baja California it is...Russ

NYPIzzaNut
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/31/08 7:44 PM
I am seeing it in a lot of American Chinese restaurants nowadays too.

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 03/31/08 8:24 PM
Cilantro is the real deal and authentic. Real Mexican tacos are served on a small 3-4" corn or flour tortilla with a filling (usually meat) and simply garnished with finely chopped onion and cilantro. No lettuce or cheese. On the side you will usually have your choice of a red and green sauce and always limes. They squeeze lime on everything.

Of course I am sure there is some differences depending on which part of Mexico you are in.

Jim

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Tue, 04/1/08 9:40 AM
I went to a place called Tony's at 2920 Wayne Ave 937-258-8550 in Dayton yesterday. It is a Pizza and Sandwich Joint on the corner of Wayne and Watervliet. I had the Philly Cheese Steak and an order of Giant Onion Rings. Unfortunatly they do not have Cheese Whiz so I opted for the Mozarella. The meat was very good and the cheese was fine. Not a true Philly. The onions and peppers were cooked properly and the sandwich was quite good. The only place it fell short was the bread. Too soft no real crust to speak of. Good bread is difficult to find in this area. But I think they could do a better job than what they are serving right now. The Giant Onion Rings were excellent and they were GIANT no false advertising here. The person I went with had the Philly Steak Salad. He said it was excellent and the portion was very generous. Next time I will try the special recipe sausage or the Giant Texas Tenderloin. The Family has been doing Fairs and Festivals for over 30 years. Desert menu includes Funnel Cakes, Deep Fried Oreos, Snickers, and Twinkies. Give it a try. Also the place is very clean and the staff was excellent....Russ

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Tue, 04/1/08 8:09 PM
Russ

I pass Tony's On my way to Slyder's and have been wanting to give the place a try. The building has that special roadfood look to it if there is such a thing. I will have to give it a shot. Who could pass up a Giant Texas Tenderloin and a fried Twinkies for dessert! By the way, I thought you were going to give Slyder's a try?

I went to Kramer's today and was able to finally snag one of their Tuesday specials.... A Meatball Sub. In the past they have been sold out by the time I get there. I have to say it was pretty darn good. The meatballs were tender with plenty of garlic and the right amount of sauce. The bun was also perfect, toasted just right. Sometimes buns are over toasted and the do not hold together. It was served with a side of pasta salad that was passable but not great. With a can of Coke my bill was $7.10.

Jim

brittneal
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Wed, 04/2/08 12:58 AM
COld beer and Cheeseburgers? How about Foys diner downtown Fairborn. Every bit of the diner delites from breakfast served all day(except the stop hot cakes before lunch. Grease bugers and the works. I think foys own every square foot of the town square! You gotta see what they do for Halloween! Dont go into Foys butcher shop to buy meat!
britt

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Wed, 04/2/08 10:09 AM
quote:

Russ

I pass Tony's On my way to Slyder's and have been wanting to give the place a try. The building has that special roadfood look to it if there is such a thing. I will have to give it a shot. Who could pass up a Giant Texas Tenderloin and a fried Twinkies for dessert! By the way, I thought you were going to give Slyder's a try?

I went to Kramer's today and was able to finally snag one of their Tuesday specials.... A Meatball Sub. In the past they have been sold out by the time I get there. I have to say it was pretty darn good. The meatballs were tender with plenty of garlic and the right amount of sauce. The bun was also perfect, toasted just right. Sometimes buns are over toasted and the do not hold together. It was served with a side of pasta salad that was passable but not great. With a can of Coke my bill was $7.10.

Jim

I have tried to get over to Slyders and Tronis in the past 2 weeks but I ended up going to Atlanta, Cleveland and Pittsburg instead. I will get there for sure tommorow as I am headed that way...Russ

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Thu, 04/3/08 11:16 PM
Tried Tank's on Wayne Ave. for lunch today. I've heard good things about Tank's and the parking lot is always full. We arrived just in time to get the last open table. I ordered "Tanks Road Kill Dawg" with chili and cheese and a cup of Tank's award winning (their words not mine) "Road Kill Chili" with cheese and onions.

The cup of chili came out first, very meaty, hardly any beans, good flavor. Not bad but hardly award winning, but then I like my chili with equal amounts of meat and beans.

Next came the "Road Kill" Dawg. I admit this monster looks impressive sitting on a plate. Surely enough to fill up most grown men. Again, pretty good, but for a dawg with chili and cheese I would rather have a Skyline cheese coney. I think this giant hotdog would have been better with sauerkraut on top and that's how I will order it next time.

Jim

NYPIzzaNut
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 04/6/08 1:02 AM
Troni's Sicilian pizza with banana peppers and sausage - before being devoured this past Thursday! One of the finest pizzas I have had in Ohio in over 30 years!

NYPIzzaNut
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 04/6/08 1:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

quote:

I am from the metro NYC area and the only pizza in the Dayton area I think that really resembles NYC thin crust pizzas in taste and quality can be found at Troni's Pizzeria and Restaurant in Kettering, at 1314 E. Dorothy Lane (tel 643 9921 / 643 9927). It is run by an Albania immigrant family, mom, dad, son and daughter. They have somehow learned the secret of making a great pizza and I would not go anywhere else in the Dayton area for a pie. They also offer Sicilian style pies. I have been to Flying Pizza and Roc-A-Fellas and both of their pies fall down because their crust is cakey and too much like all the chain crusts. I have found lots of pizza places in Ohio claim to make NY type pies but very very few really do. They normally fail due their crust being very bad to terrible.

Troni's is mentioned here at the Dayton Daily News Leadbelly blog:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/leadbelly/entries/2007/02/07/tronis_pizza_sa.html

For those not entirely sure what I am talking about this link will give a clear picture of what a NY thin crust pizza pie is supposed to be like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza

This is the kind of pizza pie Troni's makes - and if that is what you really are looking for they are the place in Dayton to go. They are closed on Sundays.

Our lunchbunch with the addition of my spouse (her birthday) had three pizzas at Troni's this past Thursday - the Sicilian one is pictured above.

The other two pizzas shown below are their regular pie (with green peppers and mushrooms)

..and their Old Fashioned Pizza which comes with 3 cheeses (Provolone, Romano and Mozzarella and Old Fashion Sauce which is a little spicy and has chunks of tomato with the sauce) - this one has pepperoni and sausage:
[img]http://www.2and2.net/files/47f85dd74e5b7.jpg [/img]

These two pies were excellent - while I prefer cheese pies I deferred to the other members to include toppings.

My wife and I went 90 miles each way to enjoy Troni's pizzas - none better in the area!

arianej
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Sun, 04/6/08 2:00 AM
La Michoacana on Troy St. has excellent tortas-- huge sandwiches with all sorts of fillings from chopped steak to chorizo. They have lots of other offerings too, and so far I've liked everything I tried, except the barbacoa, which seemed somewhat dry and flavorless. Also great horchata.

Taste of the Mediterranean across from the Dayton mall has good Lebanese food and they now offer a lunch buffet. The grocery store next door has delicious phyllo pastries for dessert. :)

The roadfood listing has Kathy's Kitchen in Germantown, which is a very casual homestyle place. Good pie too, but not as good as Mom's in Red Lion.

And while it's tough finding decent bbq in Dayton (I consider City BBQ to be okay, but nothing like ribs down south), Hook's BBQ on N. Gettysburg has a mean slab of ribs. They do sauce it for you and wrap the whole slab along with slices of white bread to soak up the sauce in butcher's paper. The hot version means hot here. Most people get carry-out. Sides were all right, but nothing to write home about.

quote:

Also does anyone have favorite Sushi Places?

The sushi situation in Dayton isn't terribly encouraging. I-Zu on N. Dixie was good for Japanese (nice bento box lunch deals), but I haven't been there in a while. Their sushi sort of went up and down. It was decent the last time I tried it.

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Thu, 04/10/08 3:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NYPIzzaNut

Troni's Sicilian pizza with banana peppers and sausage - before being devoured this past Thursday! One of the finest pizzas I have had in Ohio in over 30 years!

I will be headed to Troni's tonite and I am looking forward to a great Pizza as I havent had a great one in a very long time...Russ

Rex Foga
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Thu, 04/10/08 4:01 PM
quote:

Has anyone ever tried Wympee's on third street for a Burger?...Russ

I just did this past weekend. It had been quite a few years, but the burger I had was excellent. I don't know if this was any indication of anything, but far more people were there at noon on Saturday to buy scratch off lottery tickets than they were to eat. Slyder's makes a better burger, though.

White Tower is long gone. besides the aforementioned Yummy Burger/White Lotus operating out of the one on third, the one on Fifth is now a Smokin's BBQ joint, the same one that never got back on track after a fire in Kettering.

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Thu, 04/10/08 7:06 PM
I just got back from Troni's. I ordered a Large Pepperoni and Garlic New York Style and a White Pizza with Garlic also. We also ordered 6 Garlic Rolls. The atmosphere was not impressive very simple no frills at all. I drove past the place the first time as is sits in a 4 tenant sort of strip. I walked in and instantly knew I was in the right place. The smell of proper pizza dough is one of those things that leaves an impression in ones mind for life. The service was adequate at best. I ordered the pies and waited. The rolls came and were excellent. It took a while for the pizza to come to the table. This was another good sign. It came to the table lava hot and bubbly with a crust I have never seen in this town. Smelled great and tasted excellent. Hands down the best Pizza I have ever had in Ohio. The place is only 13.6 miles from my house and I have lived here for a decade. Shame on me and thank you Roadfood. The white pizza was excellent. The white pizza was ordered for my daughter who met us at Troni's. If you love Pizza and live in the area or even remotely close to the area you must try it. Never shall I eat at Rock-a-Fellas or Flying Pizza again. NYPIzzaNut I thank you for finding this gem located at 1314 E Dorothy Lane Kettering Ohio 937-643-9921 NamedTroni's

...Russ

jmeinhardt
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Thu, 04/10/08 8:46 PM
Pug's on Wilmington may have changed hands. A banner has been put up over the sign and I think it read "Chicago Gyros and Dogs". If that is the case Pug's will be missed.

On another note, a co-worker told me he went to the Breakfast Club for lunch Tuesday. I had read that this road food icon had closed last year. This is the first I have heard of it's re-opening.

Jim

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Fri, 04/11/08 8:36 AM
In todays Dayton Daily News Go section 4/11/08 there is a great article called Under the radar far above average. It talks about little known restaurants in the Dayton area that serve excellent food that you need to try out. Like Chin's Ginger Grill, Nelly's Chicken,Treasure Island Supper Club and many more. Excellent article pick up todays paper you wont be dissappointed.....Russ

NYPIzzaNut
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Fri, 04/11/08 5:05 PM
quote:

I just got back from Troni's. I ordered a Large Pepperoni and Garlic New York Style and a White Pizza with Garlic also. We also ordered 6 Garlic Rolls. The atmosphere was not impressive very simple no frills at all. I drove past the place the first time as is sits in a 4 tenant sort of strip. I walked in and instantly knew I was in the right place. The smell of proper pizza dough is one of those things that leaves an impression in ones mind for life. The service was adequate at best. I ordered the pies and waited. The rolls came and were excellent. It took a while for the pizza to come to the table. This was another good sign. It came to the table lava hot and bubbly with a crust I have never seen in this town. Smelled great and tasted excellent. Hands down the best Pizza I have ever had in Ohio. The place is only 13.6 miles from my house and I have lived here for a decade. Shame on me and thank you Roadfood. The white pizza was excellent. The white pizza was ordered for my daughter who met us at Troni's. If you love Pizza and live in the area or even remotely close to the area you must try it. Never shall I eat at Rock-a-Fellas or Flying Pizza again. NYPIzzaNut I thank you for finding this gem located at 1314 E Dorothy Lane Kettering Ohio 937-643-9921 Named Troni's

...Russ
I wish I could take credit for locating Troni's but that honor goes to the female member of our lunchbunch trio, Willie, who is is from that neck of the woods. (She does not post here nor is she a certifiable pizzanut!)

BTW our lunchbunch group was in West Chester yesterday at WG Grinders ( a pretty forgettable experience) BUT afterwards we went to Fratelli's Pizzeria - which is just a little less than a mile down the road - they advertise themselves as having New York style pizza.

I got a large cheese pie to take home and tried a slice in the parking lot before departing for home. It was not much good - it reminds me of the kind of garbage that Flying Pizza and Roc-A-Fellas serve up. The crust is not crusty nor really chewy like real NY pizza should be like. It also had several large air bubbles which really detracted from the appearance/taste of the pie. They get $12.95 for their large 18 inch pie. They open at 4 PM on weekdays and we got there about 5:30 PM so their ovens should have been heated up to do their best for the pies. Never again will they see me in their joint.

Russ Jackson

Rex Foga
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 04/14/08 1:33 PM
The Breakfast Club is now called The Brunch Club. All I have heard is the name change is the only thing that is different, and I can verify it is still always busy when open. The Breakfast Club remains in Lebanon.

One place that needs mentioning is Voltzy's, a little stand located in a parking lot (between Mustang Sally's and the tire place) on South Kettering Boulevard in Moraine. Once you get past the concept of the 100 Ounce+ Cheeseburgers, the sandwiches are great and the homemade cold weather soups outstanding.

Speaking of under the radar, Sherer's Ice Cream on North Main is closing.

Atleye
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 04/14/08 2:20 PM
"One place that needs mentioning is Voltzy's, a little stand located in a parking lot (between Mustang Sally's and the tire place) on South Kettering Boulevard in Moraine. Once you get past the concept of the 100 Ounce+ Cheeseburgers, the sandwiches are great and the homemade cold weather soups outstanding.

Speaking of under the radar, Sherer's Ice Cream on North Main is closing."

Man, how could I forget to mention Voltzy's?!? This is probably the most unique food experience in Dayton - a trailer in a parking lot. I love the burgers and soups, and Voltzy himself is crazy fun.

On the Sherer's note, sad to hear.

Russ Jackson
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Mon, 04/14/08 4:52 PM
Voltzy's is a great place. I havent been there for about a year. He always remembers you and is very nice. Excellent Burger. And has alot of good stories to tell...Russ

priyanka
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown - Tue, 04/15/08 7:33 AM
Hi Russ,

Joe's Pizzeria - Pizza Restaurant is my favorite. They make great pizzas and there price is good.
I came know about this restaurant using a restaurant search engine http://www.boorah.com/restaurants/OH/dayton/joes-pizzeria/FB080B3D70.html. After reading the reviews and having a wonderful experience there, I ended up liking Joe's Pizzeria.

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 60 of 323