Sangwiches

Post
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
2008/03/10 17:34:53
Anyone eat these?

Anyone else react to people saying this like fingernails on a chalkboard?

My Stepfather always drove us all nuts talking about "sangwiches"..
X1
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/10 17:44:32
Sandwich
Sanwich
Sammich

I've never said "sangwich"

leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/10 17:45:56
Always had proper pronunciation myself...but in North Jersey,growing up, many said sanwich!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/12 12:47:16
I did a post on this a while ago: my Italian relatives used to love their sangwhiches!
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/12 12:49:16
Sandwich. Don't like "sammiches" or "sanwiches."

My paternal grandfather always took an oddly long pause between the two syllables: "We stopped for a sand wich."
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/12 12:50:47
Agree with X1. Hate the use of "sangwich."
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/12 21:50:41
Doesn't Rachel Ray use sammiches or some variation? Anyway, even if i weren't bothered by it before, if she uses it, I am now against it.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/12 21:55:48
I wrote this a few years ago when this came up...

Along with oil=earl, terlit=toilet, abeets=pizza and many others...my little Sicilian grandma also said sang-wich. She was born in Italy, but learned her English in and around NYC. You don't hear much of this around NY any more, but interestingly, in SE Massachusetts and RI, where there are many Portuguese, I have heard similar pronunciation. Be interesting to see if any one ever figured out the roots of such accents/pronunciation.

I don't like people using "sangwich" to be cute or different, but for many it was simply the way they said the word.
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/12 22:36:23
Mark DeCarlo on Taste of America also says "Sangwich." I'm willing to accept Tony Bad's dialect theory; but it doesn't make it less irritating, nor will it ease the pain I feel everytime Rachel Ray says "Sammies."

Now excuse me, I have to go do my warsh.
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/13 10:48:41
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

I did a post on this a while ago: my Italian relatives used to love their sangwhiches!


Yeah, my Stepfather was Italian - his parents came from the Marches. He drove us Micks nuts with this.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/13 10:53:50
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

I wrote this a few years ago when this came up...

Along with oil=earl, terlit=toilet, abeets=pizza and many others...my little Sicilian grandma also said sang-wich. She was born in Italy, but learned her English in and around NYC. You don't hear much of this around NY any more, but interestingly, in SE Massachusetts and RI, where there are many Portuguese, I have heard similar pronunciation. Be interesting to see if any one ever figured out the roots of such accents/pronunciation.

I don't like people using "sangwich" to be cute or different, but for many it was simply the way they said the word.


yes, the old style now defunct "Italian New Yawkese" is alive and well here in Rhode Island (which probably explains why people here think I'm from the South or Midwest)
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/14 08:07:57
quote:
Originally posted by Niagara

quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

I did a post on this a while ago: my Italian relatives used to love their sangwhiches!


Yeah, my Stepfather was Italian - his parents came from the Marches. He drove us Micks nuts with this.



Wow, my grandparents came came from Le Marches ("the borderlands"), too, on the Adriatic across from Florence/Rome. They were from Ancona, Falconara, Pesaro, Fano. This is a pretty and pretty undiscovered part of Italy! I never hear of many people from this area in US!

Foodwise, they loved their seafood, fresh vegetables, and polenta!

(PS: My mom was Italian, my dad Irish. They say that make a great combo in kids!)
BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/14 08:18:19
Why do I like picnics on the beach? Because of the sand which is there.
BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/14 08:19:32
Oh, I forgot to ask...Do the same people who say sangwich say "pangcakes"?
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/14 08:24:05
quote:
Originally posted by BarbaraCt

Oh, I forgot to ask...Do the same people who say sangwich say "pangcakes"?


No joke, I can imagine my grandmother saying that. But I think there is a difference between immigrants who spoke with an accent and that was consistent vs. those who are "cute."
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/14 09:05:33
quote:
Originally posted by BarbaraCt

Oh, I forgot to ask...Do the same people who say sangwich say "pangcakes"?


Do you say "pandcake"?
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/14 09:32:33
quote:
Originally posted by BarbaraCt

Why do I like picnics on the beach? Because of the sand which is there.


ROFLMAO!
Really, it just struck me funny this mornin'! Thanks~
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/14 10:22:17

Yeah, my Stepfather was Italian - his parents came from the Marches. He drove us Micks nuts with this.



Wow, my grandparents came came from Le Marches ("the borderlands"), too, on the Adriatic across from Florence/Rome. They were from Ancona, Falconara, Pesaro, Fano. This is a pretty and pretty undiscovered part of Italy! I never hear of many people from this area in US!

Foodwise, they loved their seafood, fresh vegetables, and polenta!

(PS: My mom was Italian, my dad Irish. They say that make a great combo in kids!)


We're all Irish - my Mom re-married an Italian after my Dad died. My Grandpa Murphy always referred to my Stepfather as "The Dago", and my Aunt's Ukranian husband as "The Polak".
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/15 04:32:27
Hello All,
I love the way language becomes such an intimate
part of our family's memories. And I love when
people share that special variety of language with us all.
I had never heard "sangwich", but it is a wonderful word.
I shall use it on my family and see their reaction.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

jfitz
Cheeseburger
RE: Sangwiches 2008/03/15 05:42:39
I've heard this around the midwest;"Sink Louis" or "Sank Louis".I've never heard "Sang Louis".