Hot!Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
2008/03/15 13:23:35 (permalink)

Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel

Neat show! Anyone have a list of the places featured?

I have only been to one of the places featured... The Big Texan Ranch in Amarillo. Now I wish I had treid that 72 ouncer! I think I could eat it but maybe not in the hour allowed to make it free. Over 6,000 filks have done it though! Maybe next trip?

I know that some Roadfooder has been to the other places featured. Got any stories?
Joe
Oh, hamburger show is on next, it's Saturday.

35 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15219
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/03/15 17:39:04 (permalink)
    TWO of the Bowen Boys have completed the 72oz Steak competition at th Big Texan in Amarillo. Both finished in the alloted time and both hibernated for several hours upon leaving the restaurant. We, Janet and I, have enjoyed decent beef there (not the big steak) several times over the years. We have also endured 2 (two) very poor dinners there. I would say ...You pay your money and take your chances on good, or not so good.

We enjoyed a Steak for Two at Doe's in Greenville, MS, 2 years ago. It was outstanding. We hope to visit the new Doe's in Paducah,KY soon.

I remember going to the Hilltop Steak House on the Saugus Rotary north of Boston, back in the 1960's when I was an undergrad student. The One-Pound Sirloin Steak with trimmings for less than $3.00 was a real deal at the time. That was a long time ago, and I am pleased to see the place appears to be still in business using the same concepts that gave it fame forty years ago.

Peter Lugar's in NYC is on my list of places- "I hope to visit someday"!

The Texas Ranch near El Paso is another possibility for future roadtrips.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/03/15 21:08:07 (permalink)
    Al, I would love to make it to the Texas Ranch someday also! What a neat sounding place!

And, Peter Lugar's also!
    joe
    rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/03/17 07:52:46 (permalink)
    I also watched the show with great interest. I to have eaten at the Big Texan many times. Not always steak. We lived in Amarillo 4 years. Couple years ago while traveling I stopped in for dinner. Ordered a small steak, while eating, the waitress asked how it was? I said "OK,a little overcooked and tough". She insisted on bringing me another even though I'd eaten half. Good local citizens serving up good value.
    The Texas Ranch located east of El Paso looked very interesting. I'd never heard of it. I checked out their website. The place is probably not more than 2 to 2 1/2 hours from our home. I've gotta check it out!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/11/27 21:45:30 (permalink)
    This episode was on the other night, and the one that intrigued me was the Hilltop in Saugus, Mass....
    I wish I had heard about that when I lived in Mass. That looks like it was worth a trip!

http://www.hilltopsteakhouse.com/content/1/38/
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/11/27 22:54:03 (permalink)

Hilltop sits almost on top of the Saugus Rotary (US-1). There was a Valle's Steak house very close to it back when I was in that area (45 years ago).
    Has anyone seen the "Sandwich Paradise" program that is part of the same series of Food Programs...Steak, Pizza, Burger, etc. I recently saw the Sandwich program for the first time and thought it was great too. In addition to Philippes in L A, Katz in NYC, and Piamanti Brothers in Pittsburg, they included a place near the Christmas shopping Mall in Frankenmuth Michigan. I didn't write down the name of the diner, but it brags on the Huge BLT's it sells (20 slices of Bacon on a sandwich!!!) Did anyone get the name and specific location of that place? That sandwich sure looked good to me !
    nysharks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/11/28 00:07:46 (permalink)
    I would not bother with Hilltop Steak House. It has gone down hill and then some after the original owner sold it 20 years ago. Before it was sold they offered good quality steaks and gave big portions at cheap prices, and did not take credit cards. They now take credit cards and the quality of the meat is average at best, shoe leather at worst.

The restaurant is huge with and the lines used to be long. I remember the first time I went there there was a long line out the door and the number they gave me was in the 800's. Now there is no line at all to get into the place.

I went there a few years ago and couldn't believe how bad it was that I had to return to see if it was just an aberration. Unfortunately it was not. There are a lot better places in Boston now.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/11/29 21:54:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Hilltop sits almost on top of the Saugus Rotary (US-1). There was a Valle's Steak house very close to it back when I was in that area (45 years ago).
    Has anyone seen the "Sandwich Paradise" program that is part of the same series of Food Programs...Steak, Pizza, Burger, etc. I recently saw the Sandwich program for the first time and thought it was great too. In addition to Philippes in L A, Katz in NYC, and Piamanti Brothers in Pittsburg, they included a place near the Christmas shopping Mall in Frankenmuth Michigan. I didn't write down the name of the diner, but it brags on the Huge BLT's it sells (20 slices of Bacon on a sandwich!!!) Did anyone get the name and specific location of that place? That sandwich sure looked good to me !

Tony's I-75 Restaurant
    Birch Run, MI
    http://www.travelchannel.com/Travel_Ideas/Food_and_Wine/ci.Sandwich_Paradise.artTravelIdeasFmt?vgnextfmt=artTravelIdeasFmt
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/11/29 22:44:23 (permalink)
    I have been there, every thing is huge. That is part of the draw. The food is pretty good IMHO. It is great on the wallet too. The shops up there will give you reason to walk it off
    quote:
    Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

Tony's I-75 Restaurant
    Birch Run, MI
    http://www.travelchannel.com/Travel_Ideas/Food_and_Wine/ci.Sandwich_Paradise.artTravelIdeasFmt?vgnextfmt=artTravelIdeasFmt
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/11/30 09:56:31 (permalink)
    We went to the Hilltop in lieu of a rainy Red Sox game start back in September, based on my husband's fond memories of the place 20+ years ago. Both of us were disappointed - for $77 for 2 dinners with no drinks, I expected something more than what you might get in a steak "chain" type of place, and frankly, I've had better in the chains. The best thing about the place are the big plastic steers out front.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/11/30 10:32:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for identifying Tony's in Michigan!! Today- Sunday- afternoon and evening they are running the whole series of "Paradise" programs on the Travel Channel. The Sandwich show is on at 5pm EST and the Rib Show Later in the evening. I have seen all the others at least once...some good some not so good, but I want to see the whole Sandwich show and have not yet caught any of the Rib Show.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/11/30 11:25:43 (permalink)
    I'm not a big steakhouse guy but I will put in a plug for the Ringside in Portland, Oregon. Excellent onion rings, killer steaks and the downtown branch is wonderfully retro with wonderfully appropriate manly cocktails.
    HDtravlr1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 288
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/11/30 12:38:59 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks for identifying Tony's in Michigan!! Today- Sunday- afternoon and evening they are running the whole series of "Paradise" programs on the Travel Channel. The Sandwich show is on at 5pm EST and the Rib Show Later in the evening. I have seen all the others at least once...some good some not so good, but I want to see the whole Sandwich show and have not yet caught any of the Rib Show.

Thanks for letting us know about the repeats of the "paradise" series today. I have the DVR set up to record.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/12/01 14:37:10 (permalink)

OK, I caught the two programs of the series that I had not viewed earlier. I think I will have to run up to Frankenmuth to visit TONY's and try one of those BLT's sometime in the warmer weather !! Looking at the French Dips at Phillipes in L A brought back memories of my stops there a decade ago.

Now the Rib Show did some things that were pretty neat. While they spent some time at the Rendevoux in Memphis and a Chinese place in NYC that I doubt I will ever get to, they also showed us the Zion Baptist Church in Texas that I have heard a lot about from our Roadfood Texan friends. It looked really good ! Also the kid in Ocean View Mississippi who has built "The SHED" and does some good BBQ there seemed to be an up and comer for a visit some day soon.

One really odd cultural note that hit me like a hammer! When they did the Blues BBQ in Venice Beach, CA, The Cue looked good and the voice-over described things well, but most of the people eating RIBS were using knife and fork SILVERWARE to scrape the meat off the bone and convey it to their mouths!!! A few used their fingers, but at least 75% of the people eating RIBS were Utensil eaters !! I was really surprised by that custom! (and I am a long-time former Californian!!) I mean it wasn't even plastic picnic wear! Metal-Silverware for Ribs ?????? Sheesch, there has got to be something WRONG with that !
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/12/01 15:48:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen[/i
    When they did the Blues BBQ in Venice Beach, CA, The Cue looked good but most of the people eating RIBS were using knife and fork SILVERWARE to scrape the meat off the bone !!! I mean it wasn't even plastic picnic wear! Sheesch, there has got to be something WRONG with that !

Maybe they were just trying to be "neat and tidy" for the cameras?!?
    I've been to that BABY BLUES BBQ in Venice a few times. The last time was in October, and I posted it under "L.A. BBQ meat-up", in the BBQ thread. Awesome beef ribs, and awesome company...got to "meat" fellow Roadfooder, Mar52!
    Incidently, I used my fingers ONLY! No silverware for ME...
    and the only reason Marlene used a fork was cause she had the brisket platter.

Been to the Big Texan Steak Ranch a few times; did'nt enjoy my steak so much the 2nd time...
    and those 72 ounce steaks don't look like a good cut..
    drpep
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/12/03 21:23:06 (permalink)
    Late notice but at 9:00 eastern time tonite (12/3) is Steak Paradise: A Second Helping. I'm sure there will be repeats.
    Navy_Brat913
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/12/04 01:45:26 (permalink)
    I'm watching it right now, I wanna steak SOOOO bad!!!!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/12/04 16:34:34 (permalink)
    There is now a Paradise Steak #2 Show..There were so many steakhouses they liked that they decided to do a second show. Check out travelchannel.com. Anyway, the show mentioned Bern's is using 6000 lb of beef a week! So, my comments on the first Paradise Steak show where I said I heard the commentator mention Luger's was using 2000 lb a week don't seem far fetched at all. I know a lot of you questioned that. I told you that I saw repeats of that show and she never changed her comments (ha ha). When referring to Bern's in show #2, they did a quick rehash of Luger's from the previous show.

Paradise - Steak#2 did a nice job on Bern's and the wine cellar. We took the tour after our dinner.
    Bern's has a great dessert place upstairs though.
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2008/12/04 17:14:29 (permalink)
    Man that's a lot of BS if you get my meaning and from just two places..LOL
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2009/01/13 20:03:06 (permalink)
    Here's a link to the program review from the Travel Channel. The place in Michigan reminds me of Hooker's Resort in Wisconsin where you grill your own steak. The Michigan place seems a bit more 'Up-Scale' than the riverfront place in Wisconsin. We sure like it though!

http://www.travelchannel.com/Travel_Ideas/Food_and_Wine/ci.Steak_Paradise%3A_Part_II.artTravelIdeasFmt?vgnextfmt=artTravelIdeasFmt
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2011/03/25 10:34:50 (permalink)
    MY BF is working at MIT, went to the Hilltop last night and said it was mediocre at best. He went to some place I believe he called "338" the night before and said their meatball sub and fries were excellent.
    post edited by Rusty246 - 2011/03/25 10:38:34
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2013/09/20 11:54:23 (permalink)
    Their have been three programs, so far in the "STEAK PARADISE" segments in the Travel Channel's Food Paradise series.. Cleverly titled 1, 2, and 3 !! I do enjoy noting the ambience as well as the cuts of Beef available..  I do not think Sliced Beef-grilled in a sandwich deserves being rated in comparison to 'Beef Steak Entree's as served for dinner...examples so far in the Steak Paradise coverage included Philly Cheesesteaks and  Baltimore Pit Beef.  Now I do like the sandwiches too, but they are a world away from Peter Lugers or Doe's Eat Place in my beef RANKINGS.

Finally,  I have never...EVER, seen a better photo of a fine steak entree than Michael Stern's photo of the Big Tenderloin Filet from Archie's Waeside In in IOWA.  It is the headliner today, and I am now craving a major beef dinner !!! What a beautiful piece of Steak !
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5067
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2013/09/20 12:27:35 (permalink)
    mayor al

Finally,  I have never...EVER, seen a better photo of a fine steak entree than Michael Stern's photo of the Big Tenderloin Filet from Archie's Waeside In in IOWA.  It is the headliner today, and I am now craving a major beef dinner !!! What a beautiful piece of Steak !

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2013/09/20 13:03:52 (permalink)
    MayorAl-
    I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe the best single photo here on the Roadfood website.  It doesn't get much better than that!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6748
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2013/09/20 13:19:08 (permalink)
    Archie's Waeside is a true gem.  On another thread I said that if I landed in Sioux City, IA my first "go to" restaurant would be Archie's Waeside in Le Mars.  The first time I went there we were a group of about 20, I was sitting next to my former BIL who was a butcher.  I said, "I'm having whatever you're having!"  He got the rib-eye and so did I.  Best steak I ever had.  On the way out someone in our party said to the owner about me, "She's a French trained chef and said this was the best steak ever!"  He hugged and kissed me, gave me a T-shirt and had our picture taken together. 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2013/09/20 13:35:16 (permalink)
    Nice story lleechef!  I really have to get there someday.  If I remember correctly, that photo is of a filet called the Benny Weiker and is a secret menu item that you have to ask for. 
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2013/09/20 13:45:19 (permalink)
    bb
    You really MUST go to Le Mars.  Archie's Waeside is worth the plane fare......but wait!.....there's more in Le Mars!  You can go to Bob's Drive-In for a Bob Dog which is a Wimmer's brand hot dog topped with loosemeats.  And then you can cross the street and have Blue Bunny ice cream at their old-fashioned parlor.  It is an absolutely charming town, with plenty of Roadfood!!!!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2013/09/20 14:13:32 (permalink)
    lleechef-
    I have done Bob's and the Blue Bunny ice cream shop, but my visit was over a holiday weekend and Archie's was closed.  It looks like one meal at Archie's will make the trip worthwhile!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18359
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2013/09/20 14:36:45 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

lleechef-
    I have done Bob's and the Blue Bunny ice cream shop, but my visit was over a holiday weekend and Archie's was closed.  It looks like one meal at Archie's will make the trip worthwhile!

So, when do we drive out there?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Steak Paradise on the Travel Channel 2013/09/20 14:54:22 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

lleechef-

Great!  Let us know and we'll meet you there!  And then on to Bob's in Sioux Falls, SD for the megaburger or the broasted chicken, then to Bob's in Martinsburg, Nebraska for a pork tenderloin sandwich or a great burger.  One order of fries there is enough for 4 people.  Geeze, there are a lot of Bob's in the Midwest! 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1