Hot!Island Or Highland Scotch?

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2008/03/18 20:01:31
Island Or Highland Scotch?

Of course we are talking single malt here...everything else is a blend and does not count.
For me it is Isle of Islay scotch. The highlander's might as well be making Irish whisky. I have not found one with taste or character. My particular favorite is Laphroaig as it is intensely smoky and has the taste of the sea as well. It is perfection itself.

I know others may differ and that is why I want your opinions. Mentioning particular brands would be appreciated so brands can be compared. Please no blended scotch!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/19 18:38:32
Ah, you caught me with a bottle of the Glenlivet in my liquor cabinet. It certainly is nothing like Jameson's Irish Whiskey I bought for a St. Patrick's Day nightcap.

I kind of thought Laphroaig had the taste of peat. What is your opinion of Lagavulin? I can't afford to keep that much in my cabinet to make comparisons. When we were on an Alaskan cruise I discovered that all drinks were the same price whether a single malt or a cheap Phillips blend. So we closed each evening out in the quiet bar with string quartets and I tried a different single malt each night. With 24 hours between they all tasted great.
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/19 18:45:17
I can appreciate either if its well made and smooth - different single malts for different occasions.
I may just drink some now - any excuse!
Greyghost
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/19 19:42:38
Davydd,

Lagavulin is certainly an excellent Isle of Islay single malt. For me if Laphroaig is not available, Lagavulin will certainly do. They have been neighbors forever and fighting forever over the water rights. Laphroaig won that battle some time ago. You are correct about the peat...it is all about the peat. In fact if you buy a bottle of Laphroaig and will register it with them, you are part owner of a small plot of the sacred peat bog. You can collect your "rent" yearly by showing up at the distillery and demanding your yearly dram. They also send you a yearly Christmas gift. Great marketing!

Laphroaig is all about the water, the sea drenched peat and above all the smoke. It is the smokiest Scotch in existence. A good deal of the product is sold to the famous blended whisky distilleries to provide a smoky base note.

Lagavulin is a much tamer whisky, lacking in the intense flavor of Laphroaig. Many might like it better, but I don't. It is a smooth whisky and rather pale compared to Laphroaig.

Laphroaig has a rather interesting web site. Here is the link:

http://www.laphroaig.com/
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/19 19:49:16
There's no such thing as a BAD single malt, is there?????--but i still prefer a single malt IRISH!
Greyghost
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/19 21:17:54
Well Tiki, there is certainly a relationship between Irish whisky and scotch. I think the Irish were the first master whisky makers and brought their technique over to Scotland. In my humble opinion the Scots perfected the process with the addition of smoke. It was a transformation. Sure I will have a dram or two of good Irish whisky, but I really miss the smoke. Make mine an Islay scotch every time.

Think of it in terms of BBQ...what's a BBQ worth without the smoke? It may be good but it is not great.
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/20 09:06:03
My top preference is Lagavulin over Laphroaig and all others. I can't find my Scotch ratings book, but I thought I remembered Lagavulin being among the highest rated and indeed, after a few sips, it sure is great. I enjoy going to a specialty bar and trying out each of the super premium single malt scotch labels, not all in one day, however. There was a lounge up in Edmonton, Alberta that had a special night attraction for single malt liquor lovers and they let indulgers try out all the various brands. And down in Florida, the lounge/bar at the Don Cesar resort has an elaborate inventory of great scotch whiskeys.
mr. sausage
Hamburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/20 19:26:42
First we must determine which Laphroaig we're speaking of. Since you didn't specify, I'll assume you meant the 10 year old. As much as I enjoy the 15, I find the 10 completely over the top and monochromatic. It reminds me of a young punk rock band that thinks loud=quality. Peat, salt, peat and...where's the malt? Where is anything else? I'll admit the one power chord this whisky relies on is impressive but it does edge into liquid smoke territory.
Lagavulin, now, that's another story. Huge. Animal. Sea fog (like the Laphroaig 10), but with incredible depth, mystery and beauty.
So, Greyghost, if you're buying, I'll gladly drink your beloved Laphroaig. It certainly is a lot of... scotch for the money. The Lagi is about 80 dollars a bottle where I live so, If I'm feeling flush, I'll pour you a generous dram and we can discuss further.
By the way, my everyday malt is The Dalmore, a Highland of considerable distinction. Nowhere near the balls or unabashed rawness of the Laphroaig, but a mannish malt nontheless (and ten bucks less than yours). A double taken after dinner ( with a splash of spring water, oh yes) has a finish that will follow you to bed.
The malt world is too rich to only celebrate one extreme example. I'm reminded of those chile fiends who only eat foods seasoned with habeneros or Tabasco sauce. They're ruined for the subtler pleasures of the table. And I must add, before I wear out my welcome, that, as in wine, blending is an art to be enjoyed. All of your single malt producers put a lion's share of their output towards blends. The best of them are made up of many different single malts, resulting in something not better than, but different from and worthy of your tumbler.
Now, off to the liquor cabinet...
Greyghost
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/20 21:36:27
Good post, Mr Sausage. I am talking about the 10 year old as that is the one my budget allows and that is infrequently. For me it is a special treat. Yes, it is brash and loud with smoke, peat drenched sea salt and it inspires visions of the ever turbulent North Sea. That is why I like it. Laphroaig 10 year old is a wild and reckless thing but like the ancient Celtic bards has a refinement and poetic quality that will live forever.

Lagavulin is tame by comparison. Smoky yes, but so refined and smooth it is like a bard that goes to London with pretentious intent and loses his poetry and soul as well.
Rick F.
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/20 21:58:41
Generally Laphroaig, but I like Lagavulin at times.
Funny that I haven't seen but one highland scotch mentioned here so far.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/20 22:32:56
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

The Dalwhinnie, 15 years. A beautiful malt with hints of honey and a lush, sweet finish.

A lady suggested this while I was in Duty Free many years ago. This Highland malt was a pleasant surprise. My other bottle was Lagavulin, 16 years.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/20 22:46:11
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Since you mentioned it, I just had to pour myself a wee bit of The Glenlivet for a nightcap.

...and I am doing that while perusing this wonderful book titled, Single Malt Scotch by Bill Milne with stunning photos by Roddy Martine that I got for Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Malt-Scotch-Roddy-Martine/dp/1567994407/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206067411&sr=1-1
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/20 23:16:26
I loathe the dirty sock peat taste of Islay scotches. I prefer Speyside single malts. I've been drinking and sampling scotch for years. Some scotch drinkers say "one has to graduate to the Islay." I say one can retire there, but I'm sticking to less peaty (dirty socks) scotches.
A recent addition to my stock is a 14 year old single malt from Scapa Distillery from the Islands of Orkney.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/21 10:30:20
Hey now let's not get skanky with the socks or I will head back to Bourbon.
rjb
Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/21 11:04:10
Springbank, from Campbeltown. Great stuff and very Roadfoody -- purports to be the oldest family owned distillery in Scotland and the only one that does all production on site.
avalon83
Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/23 17:01:41
Talisker single malt from the Isle of Skye
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/03/23 17:17:18
Laphroaig for special times,Lagavulin comes second. Although blends were excluded, I should mention that White horse has a healthy measure of Lagavulin, and it shows.
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/04/15 17:01:30
I'm in the Speyside/Highland malt bin too... the smokey Islays are too much for me to enjoy. Give me a Macallan 12 year old or Auchentoshan over Laphroaig any day.
rumaki
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/04/15 17:14:11
Macallan was the first single malt I ever tried (while I was in grad school in the mid-70s), but I've switched to Islay malts in my old age. I love Bunnahabhain, which is milder than some of the other Islays. Bruichladdich is another one well worth trying -- it's the only independent distillery on Islay.

Recently, though, I came across a fantastic Lowland whisky at a liquor store: Rosebank. Unfortunately, the distillery closed in the mid-60s, so it's only available through one of those independent bottlings.
bluetick
Junior Burger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2008/04/17 23:43:02
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

Good post, Mr Sausage. I am talking about the 10 year old as that is the one my budget allows and that is infrequently. For me it is a special treat. Yes, it is brash and loud with smoke, peat drenched sea salt and it inspires visions of the ever turbulent North Sea. That is why I like it. Laphroaig 10 year old is a wild and reckless thing but like the ancient Celtic bards has a refinement and poetic quality that will live forever.

Lagavulin is tame by comparison. Smoky yes, but so refined and smooth it is like a bard that goes to London with pretentious intent and loses his poetry and soul as well.

Cask strength?
plb
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/07 21:18:00
Bringing back an old topic.
I'm iced in here in the Dallas metroplex.  Mrs. plb is stuck on the East Coast and I've had to raid the pantry and frig to find anything to eat.  But that O.K. because I've got a bottle of:
The Balvenie - "DoubleWood, Matured in Two Distinct Casks, Aged 12 Years."
I don't know much about Scotch but it is great.  Last week we visited an old friend who has really gotten into Scotch and he highly recommended it.  

post edited by plb - 2014/06/30 16:22:41
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 08:59:28
I'm with Avalon on this--just finished a bottle of Talisker a friend brought back for me---excellent---but---i still prefer Irish

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 11:31:05
Phildelmar

Laphroaig for special times.

Even though my family is 1/2 Scot I always found Scot's Whiskey to be too aromatic of smoke and earth.  Hence, the French side of me leads me to prefer Bourbon. (IMO, Evan Williams Black is the best bargain in the liquor store).

Years ago (about 1980) - before the 'single malt' craze hit - I bought a fifth of Laphroaig sinply because Ian Fleming had written that it was James Bond's favorite Scot's Whiskey.  It was $8. - only half the price of Chivas or JW Black! 

That was the first and last time I ever bought it; man, that stuff really puts hair on your chest and I already had sufficient! 
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 12:00:56
Nice to see this thread revived
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 12:09:00
Agree about Evan Williams
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 12:38:07
plb

Bring back and old topic.
I'm iced in here in the Dallas metroplex.  Mrs. plb is stuck on the East Coast and I've had to raid the pantry and frig to find anything to eat.  But that O.K. because I've got a bottle of:
The Balvenie - "DoubleWood, Matured in Two Distinct Casks, Aged 12 Years."
I don't know much about Scotch but it is great.  Last week we visited an old friend who has really gotten into Scotch and he highly recommended it.  

I had Balvenie for the first time last night. It was excellent. Ach, if I could have I would even given a taste to my wee lad Hamish McTavish---I'm sure the pup would have enjoyed a wee bit from his home country too!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 15:54:17
MetroplexJim
Even though my family is 1/2 Scot I always found Scot's Whiskey to be too aromatic of smoke and earth.  Hence, the French side of me leads me to prefer Bourbon. (IMO, Evan Williams Black is the best bargain in the liquor store).  

I doubt there is one iota of French in Bourbon other than the name derived from Bourbon County, KY where it seemed to center in its development. And then Bourbon County had no French connection in regard to people. It just happened to be territory claimed by France way back in the 18th Century. It might have been explored but never occupied. Bourbon is strictly an American whiskey with North American origin of corn as its primary ingredient (51% by law). The German, English, Welsh, Irish and Scots that came across primarily from Pennsylvania down the Ohio River and Virginia across the Cumberland Gap, first settled Kentucky. The Beam family was German. My ancestry came to America early in Colonial America through PA, MD and VA, and my surname ancestor was in Kentucky prior to 1792, the first recorded tax and census right in the heart of Bourbon territory. I don't have any records of my ancestry ever being involved in distilling.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 16:18:44
Davydd

MetroplexJim

I doubt there is one iota of French in Bourbon other than the name derived from Bourbon County, KY where it seemed to center in its development. And then Bourbon County had no French connection in regard to people. It just happened to be territory claimed by France way back in the 18th Century. It might have been explored but never occupied. Bourbon is strictly an American whiskey with North American origin of corn as its primary ingredient (51% by law). The German, English, Welsh, Irish and Scots that came across primarily from Pennsylvania down the Ohio River and Virginia across the Cumberland Gap, first settled Kentucky. The Beam family was German. My ancestry came to America early in Colonial America through PA, MD and VA, and my surname ancestor was in Kentucky prior to 1792, the first recorded tax and census right in the heart of Bourbon territory. I don't have any records of my ancestry ever being involved in distilling.

Thanks for the interesting info.

I was just kidding about the French/Bourbon comment (although the Bourbon are part of my family tree). 

I was born in Washington, PA - home of David Bradford (a Scot) and the Whiskey Rebellion.  That story was part of our ninth grade PA History, which included a field trip to his home, now a museum.

About the only thing French about Bourbon is that the Wild Turkey brand is (or was recently) owned by a French company.  To my delight, it is readily available in Paris groceries for less than half the usual U.S. retail.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 17:31:36
Always associated the roots of Bourbon with corn whisky, and Mike Finks Monongahela redeye
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 19:07:59
Phildelmar

Always associated the roots of Bourbon with corn whisky, and Mike Finks Monongahela redeye

Indeed.  Lands west of the Alleghenies were cleared and farmed first by Scots/Protestant Irish, including the McCulloughs, my family, who came over in the 1760's.

Since these days were before roads and rail, any trip 'back east' was long and arduous.  Making whiskey from their corn crop permitted them easy shipment and little spoilage.  When the Feds began taxing "their crop" Bradford and others rebelled and Mr. Washington led troops there to put them down.  It is a little-known fact that Mr. Washington was also the landlord of many of the rebels.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/08 19:35:10
Actually, there are some good contemporary studies on the subject
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/09 07:53:34
Phildelmar

Indeed; here is an entertaining and informative article on that I first read in the WaPo.  This would be a wonderful and appropriate topic for my distant cousin David to explore.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/09 15:48:08
MetroplexJim

Phildelmar

Indeed; here is an entertaining and informative article on that I first read in the WaPo.  This would be a wonderful and appropriate topic for my distant cousin David to explore.

That was a very interesting read. I've read a few books on George Washington but don't recall, as the article mentioned, that trip ever mentioned in Washington biographies.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/09 16:16:14
Prior to the Revolutionary War Mr. Washington and his older half-brother, Lawrence, acquired huge tracts of land in Western PA and the Ohio Valley.  My great grand uncle acquired and built his estate on one such large tract near Wheeling, WV.  Today it is a real estate development known as "Washington Farms".
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/10 10:06:46
Interesting article on Bourbon v. "Scotch".
brisketboy
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/10 11:21:51
I had the good fortune of being at the Holiday Inn  express in Bristol UK awaiting a flight back to the US and they were sponsoring a Single Malt tasting for just a few quid (pounds). I had always enjoyed Laphroig, Glenmorangie, and Bunnhabhain. At this tasting I tried the Isle of Jura, Spey River and several others which I cannot recall due to the loss of brain cells from these very events. Anyway, I remember liking the Isle of Jura very much. Too much in fact that in order to keep imbibing I need to win the lottery.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/10 15:06:39
MetroplexJim

That article is a bit suspect. Buffalo Trace? That Jim Murray seems bought off. Single Malt Scotch is produced by over 80 distillers. There is quite a bit of differences in single malts than Bourbon because of major differences in the lands and water where it is made. As for the barrels they now use barrels second hand from Spain and Portugal that were used for making Sherry and barrels from Kentucky that were used for making Bourbon. The Bourbon barrels are not virgin Oak as the article says. They are charred before being used. It really comes down to preference in taste of primarily barley vs corn. Single malt and Bourbon are so different from each other you can't simply say one is better than the other.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/11 11:15:42
Davydd

MetroplexJim

That article is a bit suspect. Buffalo Trace? That Jim Murray seems bought off. Single Malt Scotch is produced by over 80 distillers. There is quite a bit of differences in single malts than Bourbon because of major differences in the lands and water where it is made. As for the barrels they now use barrels second hand from Spain and Portugal that were used for making Sherry and barrels from Kentucky that were used for making Bourbon. The Bourbon barrels are not virgin Oak as the article says. They are charred before being used. It really comes down to preference in taste of primarily barley vs corn. Single malt and Bourbon are so different from each other you can't simply say one is better than the other.

You are correct, sir; it is a matter of personal taste.  Bourbon and Scot Whiskey are the true rolalty of spirits.  These premium tequila and vodka ads make me chuckle.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2013/12/11 11:23:42
Me too
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/01/02 14:08:43
Anybody receive or find anything interesting in this line over the holidays?
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/01/02 14:55:38
I didn't receive it. I bought it. A bottle of Glenmorangie.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/01/02 15:00:34
Age?
julieboyd
Junior Burger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/01/02 16:08:50
Glenlivet Nadurra 16 Yr - Fantastic!
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/01/02 16:34:07
Have had it. I agree
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/01/02 20:12:11
Phildelmar

Age?

On edit: 10 years.
post edited by Davydd - 2014/01/03 00:53:34
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/01/03 00:02:33
I'm kind of late to the party but my personal preference is Macallan 18 year old. I realize Macallan is probably the most "commercial" of single malts and I would love to experience others but I never know what to buy. This thread has really helped explain a lot and will be a very helpful guide for me to buy other brands of single malt HIGHLAND whiskey.

I enjoy drinking my Macallan with a small splash of spring water as instructed while in England many years ago. It actually makes a very smooth whiskey even smoother and, somewhat sweeter.

I know one thing for sure, I abhor the taste of the peet overtones as in Islay style whiskey. I guess one must acquire a taste for them over a period of time.
http://www.google.com/sea...p;biw=1440&bih=805

post edited by Twinwillow - 2014/01/03 00:07:06
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/01/03 11:12:47
Admittedly, Islay malts are an acquired taste but it is one well worth acquiring
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/04/28 16:49:48
Got a few interesting Isly bottlings at Total Wine. Very reasonable and very good
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/06/30 12:58:27
Not a huge Scotch fan, but recently got a bottle of Balvenie 12 YO Doublewood and it was smooth as silk.  No burn and no harshness.  Just a long lingering warmth.

I'd read an article in the Wall Street Journal about giving Scotch for Father's Day and this was the choice for best all-around basic single malt.  I can now see why. 
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/06/30 19:39:42
A great choice
brisketboy
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/06/30 23:22:03
Surprised that no one has mentioned Old Pulteny, actually, I'm not surprised because the guy at Twin Liquor said it was great and his favorite so I purchased a bottle and of all the Scotches I have ever drank this one tastes the most like someone wrung a pair of socks that had been toiling on the peat bogs all day. Extremely vile with little taste, just peat.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/07/01 03:44:00
I've found the prices at BevMo & Total Wine to be the best. If they keep expanding, they will change the culture of the spirits industry as it relates small specialty outlets don't you think?
Your thoughts.

eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/07/01 07:14:56
Foodbme

I've found the prices at BevMo & Total Wine to be the best. If they keep expanding, they will change the culture of the spirits industry as it relates small specialty outlets don't you think?
Your thoughts.

Agree 100%. 

I was lucky to get the Balvenie 12 for $42.99 (+ 9% Md alcohol tax ) at the Montgomery County Liquor store on super sale.  My local stores had it no cheaper than $60.  Total Wine is selling it for $51.99 and I looked at BevMo and they have it for $41.99 if you belong to the (free) BevMo Club.

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/07/01 08:53:38
Re old Pulteny, I guess you either go for the peat or you don't
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/07/17 06:48:15
I swapped a slug of my Balvenie 12 YO Doublewood for some Ardbeg 10 YO with a co-worker.

What a kick in the pants.  Very peaty and far, FAR different than the Balvenie.  Opposite ends of the spectrum I guess.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/07/17 12:18:55
It really depends on how you feel about peat. I like it
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/07/17 13:04:59
I liked the Ardbeg well enough, just not nearly as much as the Balvenie.

There are doubtless less peaty Scotches I could have tried for my first taste of the Islay variety.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/07/17 14:57:09
An acquired taste, to be sure, but one worth acquiring
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/07/21 08:34:18
Phildelmar
An acquired taste, to be sure, but one worth acquiring

Have you ever had the Lagavulin 16 YO?  If yes, can you compare it to the Ardbeg 10?

I've seen it referenced in movies and TV (28 Days Later, Parks and Recreation) and a co-worker said it wasn't as peaty as he thought it would be.  Is it 'stronger' than the Ardbeg?  Or maybe the extra aging mellows it a bit?

I'm pretty to new to all this.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Island Or Highland Scotch? 2014/07/21 09:25:16
Haven't had the 16 year old yet. The standard bottling is good.