Best Pizza you've had?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Junior Burger
2008/03/23 11:45:17
I live in Sacramento.. west sacramento to be precise and we cannot get a good slice of pizza out here to save your life. Oh yeah I've heard of places and went to them and it's not even close to the stuff I had when I was growing up.

So I ask the forum.. where have you had the best pizza? For me it's two locations. Both in NJ!

The first has to be Three Brothers from Italy as their pizza was always hot, fresh and well made. The crust was superb , the sauce great and the cheese was melted to perfection.

The other place was called the Saw Mill .. home of the worlds largest slice and they ain't kiddin! They also had a open air grill where they cook hamburgers and hotdogs.. but back when I was there, they didn't serve french fries! You had to go to the stand across from them to get fries and that stand cut potatoes fresh and served it with whatever you wanted (ketchup, mustard, cheese, gravy.. you name it!)

Both places are located in Seaside heights NJ where I spent most of my summers with my family and I have to say.. I miss those days and the great food!
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/23 23:11:47
Mastro Pizza Pavilion. 1964-65 New York World's Fair.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 12:04:19
The Spot, Frank Pepe's and Sally's.
brickie
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 12:21:42
The best pizza I ever had, was at a place
called Mr. Pizza. It was in Ledyard, Ct.
I believe its now a tribal health dept.
building for the Mashantucket-Pequot tribe.
I aways got the special "no fish"
divefl
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 12:36:05
It's like asking me to pick my favorite child!

If I find out I have children today, that's really going to ruin my day.
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 12:47:13
The best pizza I've ever had is often the slice I'm eating at the time.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 12:52:31
I've had so many good pizzas that I could not say which was best. Maybe the last pizza I had. There was one pizza I had last year at Cafe Bicko in Minneapolis that I thought was great and I've learned the place has since closed. Its pizza was a well hidden secret. Evidently it was too secret. Not too many people knew about them because they could be mistakenly assumed to be just another local dive bar.
bigcat39
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 12:55:12
Mine was from a place near Newtown, CT. Blasted if I remember the name. Anyways, it featured breaded, fried eggplant, fresh tomatoes, and fresh garlic....along with a great crust, fresh mozzarella and great sauce.
My current best is Tommy's Pizza, right here on the east side of Columbus, OH. The ultimate expression of the Midwest cracker crust, square cut pizza.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 13:08:59
Brooklyn Pizza in Hackensack, NJ. and DaBaffato in Rome... But, I just know there are far better in New Haven, and Manhattan. I just have not been to them yet.

markolenski
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 13:34:14
Add me to Michael's list. Nothing is like Pepe's Sally's or the Spot. Modern is ok in in pinch.
porkbeaks
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 13:40:06
It may very well have been that first slice I ever ate in the early '50s at The Union Hotel in Whitehouse Station, NJ. It was love at first bite and it is that taste and texture that I still strive to achieve with my own home efforts. Thanks for the memory, Murphy Pfenninger! pb
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 13:45:24
Ahh, living in the Northeast.....great pizza just a short ride away.
Gotta agree with both Sally's and Pepe's, multiple visits, always good stuff.
Totonno's in Brooklyn, consistently good, even when it's crowded as it was last visit.
"The Pie" in Port Jefferson Village, excellent coal oven pies, fresh made mozzarella with a hint of basel, calzones big enough to feed a family, and a basel tomato soup with bleu cheese crumbles, very nice.
Salvatore's in Port Washington, coal oven, fresh mozzarella, nice charcoaly crust.
And of course, whenever I want, a nice, floppy, cheesy, foldy, NY slice at Steverino's in East Meadow, or Umberto's in New Hyde Park.
johnnyblanco
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/24 14:09:33
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Brooklyn Pizza in Hackensack, NJ. and DaBaffato in Rome... But, I just know there are far better in New Haven, and Manhattan. I just have not been to them yet.

Yeah Hackensack! Used to live in East Brunswick myself and there was a smalllll pizza place that was not far from my house that was GREAT.
NJskeeter
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 02:27:57
Best I've ever had was Pepe's in New Haven.

Best I've had in Jersey is Spirito's in Elizabeth and the Resivoir in South Orange.
jfitz
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 05:34:58
In the 70's we lived in Lawrence,Mi and had Pizza regularly at an Italian Rest. called La Cantina in Paw Paw,Mi..I was made from the old school and we would always say that you kept eating it not because you were hungry but that the pizza tasted so good. I don't ever recall any going home "wrapped". The restaurant is still there but I don't think the same pizza is.
beijinger
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 06:04:53
best was at salerno in stratford ct being close friends with one of sons mea.nt my small garbage pie weighed in over 5 pounds. Did alot of Pepe's great stuff liked my crust though losser burnt. West coast only can do Papa Murphy take and bake quite good. China no way my lips going near what they call pizza hey Pizza hut is a **** establishment in China lol yuk.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 16:50:22
Marucca's in sSaside, NJ...one branch is also now in Brick,NJ....Pudgies in Brick is great...Franks in Lakewood...La Fontana in Brick...we have some superb pizza here...but the best pie I ever had was in a small place in Naples(wish I could remember the name) and the runners up are any of the great pizza places in Rome, Florence, Capri or any place in Italy...maybe it's their water,maybe it's their atmosphere, maybe it's the love of life...who knows..it's just the BEST!!!
divefl
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 16:54:04
quote:
Originally posted by beijinger

best was at salerno in stratford ct being close friends with one of sons mea.nt my small garbage pie weighed in over 5 pounds. Did alot of Pepe's great stuff liked my crust though losser burnt. West coast only can do Papa Murphy take and bake quite good. China no way my lips going near what they call pizza hey Pizza hut is a **** establishment in China lol yuk.

What?
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 18:22:05
Best pizza by far is to be found at the Green Lantern Tavern in Madison Heights,Michigan! To DIE for!!!! http://detroit.citysearch.com/review/5141776
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 18:29:25
recently? Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 18:45:17
In the last decade, I've had good pizza, being far and few in between. Nothing I'd claim to be the best. Sadly, I was spoiled in the 60's and 70's, maybe into the early 80's when they made a decent pie. Todays generation pie eaters have been programed into something totally different (more commercialized tasting pies then anything). I envy some of the old timers that report here about their East Coast pies... Seems things have not changed at some of the places.. Sadly, I can report that's not true around here.

phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 19:10:11
Good timing. A friend and I drove up to New Haven this past Saturday where I had my first Pepe's pizzas; a white clam and a plain tomato pie with mozzarella. I'd have to say they topped any other pizza I've tried that I can think of at the moment.
Based on some of the photos on this site, I was a little nervous that the edges would be too well-done, which I don't think I would like. Turns out they were absolutely perfect, with some char, but not too much of it.
chainsaw
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 19:11:21
bianchi's in ottawa, illinois... probably only because i've grown up with the pizza! not too thick, not too thin, garlicky and slightly greasy... it's the best restaurant to visit every time i come back home!

pepe's in new haven, cemeno's in joliet, and uno's in chicago (not any of their chain locations!!!) come in next!!!
Shara
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/25 19:14:29
I grew up in Trenton, New Jersey so I love tomato pie from Delorenzo's and the pizza from the other Trenton Delorenzo's is just as good. Marucca's used to be in Trenton and Papa's in its heyday all had wonderful pies with perfect crispy, slightly burnt crust and not too much cheese. And yup, all in New Jersey. I make excellent pizza myself now, but I don't have the oven to get that wonderful crust. I eat Jersey pizza almost every day when I go home for visits.
porkbeaks
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/26 10:25:23
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

It may very well have been that first slice I ever ate in the early '50s at The Union Hotel in Whitehouse Station, NJ. It was love at first bite and it is that taste and texture that I still strive to achieve with my own home efforts. Thanks for the memory, Murphy Pfenninger! pb

I just ran across[url='http://njmonthly.com/articles/best_of/best-of-jersey-pizza.html']this[/url] article and, rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd stick it here. The funny thing is, this place is in Whitehouse Station (literally) a stone's throw from the place I mentioned in my previous post. If anyone is in the area, I suggest they give it a try. The chef's Wooster Street roots could make La Casa Bianca the place to go for pizza in central NJ.

http://www.lacasabianca.net/
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/26 10:58:06
hey johnny- as another sacto refugee who longs for all food things jersey,have to tell you the best pizza i have found in town is at a place called romas pizza on franklin blvd in sac...while not of boardwalk quality , its pretty good for CA- also their italian dinners are pure jersey pizzarie style- esp good is the manicotti , which is a plate of bubbling cheese....also , although it has little flavor , the pizza at supbarro in the downtown plaza mall is def east coast style....here's to summers past in seaside!!!my favorite was always marucas though
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/26 11:09:22
Sally's, Pepe's, The Spot, Modern, Letizia's, Colony Grill, Carminuccio's. and in NYC, Difara. enjoy fb
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/26 12:25:13
FrankBooth's post should end the discussion.
divefl
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/26 12:34:12
Michael, what if Sally's, Pepe's, The Spot, Modern, Letizia's, Colony Grill, Carminuccio's, and Difara all put on a pizza buffet together?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/03/26 12:55:12
I'd order something from Papa John's.
WVCitySlicker
Hamburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/13 18:43:05
If you're ever in Charleston, try Husson's Pizza (Sicillian Style is my favorite).
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/13 23:50:21
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

In the last decade, I've had good pizza, being far and few in between. Nothing I'd claim to be the best. Sadly, I was spoiled in the 60's and 70's, maybe into the early 80's when they made a decent pie. Todays generation pie eaters have been programed into something totally different (more commercialized tasting pies then anything). I envy some of the old timers that report here about their East Coast pies... Seems things have not changed at some of the places.. Sadly, I can report that's not true around here.

The best pizza pies I have had in decades are from Troni's Pizza and Restaurant in Kettering, Ohio. Being from Yonkers NY and residing in Ohio since 1977 I have had a heck of a time finding good old NY pizza pies here in the midwest.

This is what Troni's pies look like:

And they are only ninety miles or so from my doorstep, in the boonies of southern Ohio!

(If they were much closer my weight would be much much higher than it is now.)
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/14 05:23:32
Hey,Ohio pizza looks pretty New York there...Looks great!!!! Ho Troni's seems to know their stuff.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/14 11:59:03
Believe it or not Troni's has been in business for 4 years and they are family-owned and operated. They are from Albania and mom and dad and 3 brothers and a daughter are all there running the place daily.

I love the place more and more each time I visit there.
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/14 14:08:46
Pepe's and Sally's.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/14 14:23:07
Cafe David..in Florence Italy...great pizza and the best atmosphere in the world...outdoor cafe in the main piazza in Florence sitting near the reproduction of the David in the square...Nothing can even come close...if atmosphere truly improves the taste of food in our mind, as some doctors say, then this is the BEST pizza you'll ever have!
sk bob
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/14 20:48:47
being from the northeast, i've eaten at all the italian pizza places and they all taste about the same with little variations.
give me a greek pizza from central ct. any time.
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/14 22:56:34
Well, I finally had Pepe's white clam pizza (no mozz!) yesterday in their Manchester store. As a New Yorker, I am loyal to Lombardi's and Patsy Grimaldi's, as well as Totonno's...but that clam pizza is one of the best things I've ever eaten. The garlic!! And the crust was perfect. Others at the table insisted on sausage and pepperoni on the tomato pie, which I think made it too heavy to be the perfect pie.

Still, now I know why Jane and Michael will be asking the warden for the clam pie as their last meal. I've been in the restaurant business for half my life, in some good places,...but that pizza was something.

Cheers,

john
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/21 04:26:45
yeah baby pull the bus around it's over,the trifecta,Pizza Hut,Dominoes and Papa John's.
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/21 22:37:09
Big G,

Are Pizza Hut, Dominoes (sic) and Papa John's supposed to be examples of the best pizza, or one horse short of the apocalypse?

john
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/21 23:00:28
quote:
Originally posted by fischgrape
Are Pizza Hut, Dominoes (sic) and Papa John's supposed to be examples of the best pizza, or one horse short of the apocalypse? john

Dearfolk,
I'd sooner drive the 122 miles (I think it is) to Warner Robins, Georgia just to eat at Shakey's Pizza Parlor than to order from (or visit) any of the above.
And as for delivered pizza in a college town, I'd take Gumby's over any of the mentioned ones anyday, anytime.
Now see my REAL answer on the next post.
Pieing The Type, Ort. Carlton in Mediocre-Pizzarhean (with two exceptions) Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/21 23:13:23
Dearfolk,
Let me qualify my answer somewhat. I've never made it to New York City nor to New Haven, but I did have some really excellent pizza in a place in Litchfield, Connecticut back in 2001. One major factor that makes these cities good pizza towns seems to be the availability of soft water from a granitic source.
Athens, Georgia has almost identical water to these cities... absurdly soft (35 ppm dissolved solids). All that is needed are the proper humans to know how to do the rest.
Athens is blessed... we have them, albeit in two locations that do not deliver: Little Italy Pizzaria at 125 North Lumpkin Street downtown and Peppino's Pizza at 2597 South Milledge Avenue, a couple miles south of campus in the old Whitehall area.
While this is not exactly Roadfood, it is excellent pizza (no cardboard-and-tomato-paste here!), and their subs are just as good as their pizza. My thought (without having travelled much to hunt better, of course) is that this would compare favorably to anything available anywhere else, and beat most other comers out entirely. I feel lucky to have Little Italy right down the way from both of my favorite drinkeries so I can stumble in when necessary.
By the way, their food tastes just as good when I am cold stone dead sober... which I occasionally manage to be. Tee hee.
Unhungrily, Ort. Carlton in Amazingly Liveable Athens, Georgia.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/22 08:17:14
fischgrape....THE Apocalypse!!!!!...I guess there is nothing worse!
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/23 12:19:47
For those living in Western New York state, a great local place is Mazia's in Clarence, NY in Buffalo's eastern suburbs (http://www.maziaspizza.com). Good pizza, wings, and subs. At one time "The Price is Right" would give away Mazia's pizza for a year. Not sure if they still do so or if the show is even on TV still.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/23 13:19:14
Grimaldi's In Old Scottsdale, AZ...that's my death-row choice! Chris
andydeahl
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/23 13:39:40
My last 3 trips for Pepe's have been to the new Manchester CT location. They do an outstanding job of replicating the orginal (minus some of the line waiting time). Had a great clam pie last weekend. Pepe's rocks.
andydeahl
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/23 13:41:49
For the West Coast, Gay 90s pizza in Pleasanton CA is a good choice. Best I ever had in CA where it's mostly chain stuff.
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/23 22:30:25
Ayersian,

Do you think it's possible that an aged member of the New York City Grimaldi clan decided to retire to Scottsdale...and then just couldn't not make pizza? I mean, how many pizza-making Grimaldi families can there be in the U.S. of A.?

Good eatin',

john
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/04/24 11:15:33
Not the most uncommon Italian name in the world!
mcminnj
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/02 22:18:59
Spring Break trip: The best meal in NYC was the cheapest. Lombardi's pizza was awesome.I dream about it. Couldn't eat a Texas pizza for almost 6 months.
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/03 19:09:07
Do you mean to say that they actually have pizza in Texas? I thought everybody just ate barbecue and steak!

jf
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/03 21:40:20
Best pizza i have is @ Mamas Pizza here in town
mcminnj
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/04 11:05:55
quote:
Originally posted by fischgrape

Do you mean to say that they actually have pizza in Texas? I thought everybody just ate barbecue and steak!

jf

Ha!Ha! (But you can get BBQ pizza )
asegidoc
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/04 11:12:02
Bob and Timmys in providence ,r.i.
thin crust wood grilled
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/04 13:41:23
thick= the orig lou malnati's in lincolnwood illinois

thin= pusateris chicago style in stuart florida
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/04 16:25:14
quote:
Originally posted by asegidoc

Bob and Timmys in providence ,r.i.
thin crust wood grilled
Welcome to the site my friend!!

You will be hungry VERY SOON
catarnett
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/04 17:04:41
My favorite is the pepperoni pizza at Roseland in Derby, CT. Hands down, the best pizza ever.
Goobzilla
Junior Burger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/06 23:44:48
In the Pacific NW it's Apizza Scholls in Portland, OR for me. When I went with my mother on a spur of the moment trip to Johnstown, PA a few years ago we probably had 6 or 7 different pizzas in 2 days, all of which were quite good but I can't remember any of the names. The best one I remember was square and was made on a supersized baking sheet. I haven't ever really gotten to experience some of the pizza hotbeds of the east coast but someday I'll make it to the "promised landd".
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/09 10:02:06
Tough question! Growing up in NJ, pizza is a serious food group unto itself. I regularly ate at Pete & Elda, Vic’s, and Moms as well as other miscellaneous “Tony’, Vinny’s, and Bruno’s. I’ve had pizza up and down the boardwalks including Mikes, Three Brothers and Mr. Pizza Slice. Thick crust, thin crust, sweet sauce or not, toppings are an entirely different subject. In the last 10 years I have moved to Somerset county and I have to say I have found one place I would go out of my way for, not that some others are bad. I like a place called Pizza & Pasta in Manville, it has very good, thin, brick oven Pie, always done well. There is another brick oven place on the other side of Manville I have wanted to try so I’ll report back.
Pigiron
RE: Best Pizza you've had? 2008/05/09 10:09:52
quote:
Originally posted by Dude111

Best pizza i have is @ Mamas Pizza here in town

What town?
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2