Portuguese/Spanish seafoord

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
  • Reward points : 0
Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Sun, 03/23/08 10:18 PM
Today I (finally) made it over to Newark, NJ Ironbound area to try some Portuguese food. I was in the mood for seafood. Last week my dentist recommended Iberia restaurant because he went to dental school nearby.

What a treat!!

There were a lot of seafood dishes, so I asked the waiter for a recommendation. He suggested "Marinara" which was a huge (HUGE) dish of yellow rice with lobster (whole small one), mussles, shrimp (probably 20 or more), clams in shell (maybe 15) and big scallops. It also had pimento, tomato and peas. Actually it was a sort of paella.

My daughter wanted pasta, so I ordered some "with" seafood. I'd say there was 3 x as much seafood as ziti!! Small clams, shrimp, huge scallops (about 20) and about 20 slices of portuguese sausage. With thin garlicky tomato sauce. It was delicious.

We had so much we took home huge "doggy bags", enough for 2 more meals. I can't believe the prices: $18.95 pasta, $20 seafood paella (dinner prices). Mostly the amount of food for that price. Unbelieveable!!

I'll be back.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Sun, 03/23/08 10:45 PM
Please don't put Spanish and Portuguese in the same sentence, half of Rhode Island will start an out and out Riot......

NYNM
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 9:11 AM
OK, but in this case Spanish means Spain, Portuguese is Portugal (duh) and also Brazilian is there. It's like in New Mexico...the Hispanic don't "get along" with the Mexicans. (The Hispanic are those that are the descendents of the original Spaniards from 1500's, the Mexicans recent immigrants.

So, anyway, do you have these seafood extravaganzas in Portuguese restaurants in RI???

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6081
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 9:19 AM
Thanks for the info.Sounds like one to try! Did they have Pastage(not sure of spelling) the Portuguese custard cup for dessert? If not,next time you're in the ironbound section of Newark, go to a pastry shop and try a dozen.They're amazing!!

NYNM
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 9:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Thanks for the info.Sounds like one to try! Did they have Pastage(not sure of spelling) the Portuguese custard cup for dessert? If not,next time you're in the ironbound section of Newark, go to a pastry shop and try a dozen.They're amazing!!

We didn't order dessert, too full. But strangely, at the bar where people were having drinks, where there are usually little cups of salty nuts or prtezels, there were cookies (round ones covered in vanilla icing)and Jordan almonds!

wanderingjew
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 9:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

OK, but in this case Spanish means Spain, Portuguese is Portugal (duh) and also Brazilian is there. It's like in New Mexico...the Hispanic don't "get along" with the Mexicans. (The Hispanic are those that are the descendents of the original Spaniards from 1500's, the Mexicans recent immigrants.

So, anyway, do you have these seafood extravaganzas in Portuguese restaurants in RI???

Portuguese culture is much more prevalent here in RI than it is in the NYC area, in fact the both the Italian and Portuguese community are the primary spheres of influence here.
Being on the coast, there are many seafood dishes on Portuguese menus, primarily cod, shrimp, scallops and of course clams along with pork, and portuguese sausage (chourice and linguica)
Dishes served with two starches are also very common (rice and potatoes) however I haven't seen yellow rice on any of the Portugese menus either in RI or Southeastern MA

The Portuguese here in Southeastern New England get very insulted if you compare their culture/food to Spanish Food and Culture. To them it would be like comparing Norwegian cuisine with Pakistani Cuisine

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6228
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 2:05 PM
Folks that we met on a vacation to Cancun lived near Providence. They invited us one Sunday to come down (I was living in Boston) and eat at a Portuguese club. HUGE steaming bowls of "zuppa di peche" coming out of the kitchen, all made by Portuguese ladies. There was fish, shrimp, lobster, scallops, calamari........you could have it "red" or "white". I got mine "white" and it was divine.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13388
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 4:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Folks that we met on a vacation to Cancun lived near Providence. They invited us one Sunday to come down (I was living in Boston) and eat at a Portuguese club. HUGE steaming bowls of "zuppa di peche" coming out of the kitchen, all made by Portuguese ladies. There was fish, shrimp, lobster, scallops, calamari........you could have it "red" or "white". I got mine "white" and it was divine.

I was in Valdez Alaska and I ate at a Portuguese restaurant restaurant close to the docks. They do things to fish that I never thought possible. One of the better fish meals I have ever had. I have no idea why the Portuguese had a restaurant in this remote part of Alaska.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville,

NYNM
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 4:56 PM
Interesting stuff! We have a few Spanish (Spain) restaurants in Manhattan in West Village, El Faro, also a few oldies on W. 13th St. and also Charles St. The West Village/Chelsea was a French and Spanish (Spain) area around 1920's, churches that had Mass in French and Castillian Spanish.

But, for those NYers here, this Portuguese section (Ironbound) of Newark is really really convenient from NYC - short trip on PATH train ($1.75) and 3 min. walk from Newark Penn Station, so it's pretty accessible to the NYC area, NJ, too. Yum.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6228
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 5:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I was in Valdez Alaska and I ate at a Portuguese restaurant restaurant close to the docks. They do things to fish that I never thought possible. One of the better fish meals I have ever had. I have no idea why the Portuguese had a restaurant in this remote part of Alaska.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville,

For the same reason the Japanese and Koreans and Vietnamese and others all love Alaska.......the great seafood. The Portuguese also share a love of seafood.

Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 5:25 PM
quote:

Today I (finally) made it over to Newark, NJ Ironbound area to try some Portuguese food. I was in the mood for seafood. Last week my dentist recommended Iberia restaurant because he went to dental school nearby.

What a treat!!

There were a lot of seafood dishes, so I asked the waiter for a recommendation. He suggested "Marinara" which was a huge (HUGE) dish of yellow rice with lobster (whole small one), mussles, shrimp (probably 20 or more), clams in shell (maybe 15) and big scallops. It also had pimento, tomato and peas. Actually it was a sort of paella.

My daughter wanted pasta, so I ordered some "with" seafood. I'd say there was 3 x as much seafood as ziti!! Small clams, shrimp, huge scallops (about 20) and about 20 slices of portuguese sausage. With thin garlicky tomato sauce. It was delicious.

We had so much we took home huge "doggy bags", enough for 2 more meals. I can't believe the prices: $18.95 pasta, $20 seafood paella (dinner prices). Mostly the amount of food for that price. Unbelieveable!!

I'll be back.

NYNM--Welcome to the club! As you discovered, the Ironbound neighborhood (actually referred to as the "Down Neck" neighborhood by most old-timers from the area), offers incredible dining at reasonable prices.

Is it possible that the dish that you ordered was Mariscada, rather than "Marinara"?

NYNM
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 5:29 PM
Yes, Tedbear, I think that was it. I was suprised that it was really paella.

I almost ordered the seafood with green sauce. Do you know what it is? Is it also a paella? I think I will try it next time. I am enjoying my "doggy bag" today.

Tedbear
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 7:45 PM
quote:

Yes, Tedbear, I think that was it. I was suprised that it was really paella.

I almost ordered the seafood with green sauce. Do you know what it is? Is it also a paella? I think I will try it next time. I am enjoying my "doggy bag" today.

Yeah, I don't recall the difference between Paella and Mariscada, but they do seem to be fairly similar.

The green sauce is made from (IIRC), parsley, white wine and garlic, and is really yummy. You could put that stuff on a telephone book and the book would taste good. Seafood in Green Sauce is probably a variety of shellfish poached in a pot of the sauce, but without rice as part of the dish. Of course, rice and/or potatoes will come on the side. One of my favorite appetizers is Clams in Green Sauce. And, there is always enough extra sauce for copious dipping with your bread. I wish that I had some right now!

Another good appetizer is Shrimp in Garlic Sauce. This usually comes in a big enough serving for 2 or 3 people to share it. And, of course, remember to dip your bread in that sauce!

If you are offered a choice between the complimentary soup or the salad in one of these places, the soup is invariably the better choice. Usually, it is something like Caldo Gallego, and I have always enjoyed the soups much more than the iceberg lettuce salads.

the ancient mariner
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 03/24/08 8:17 PM
Twice I have gone to the Iron Bound section of Newark just for the food.
(By the way the section got it's name from the fact that railroad tracks
going in 3 directions form a triangle around it.) I loved it both times
but had to leave the extra food because I was not going home in either case.

There is, or was, a nice Portuguese section in Mineola, Long Island. A
few good seafood restaurants there also. Have to check out Florida.

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Tue, 03/25/08 9:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Portuguese culture is much more prevalent here in RI than it is in the NYC area, in fact the both the Italian and Portuguese community are the primary spheres of influence here.
Being on the coast, there are many seafood dishes on Portuguese menus, primarily cod, shrimp, scallops and of course clams along with pork, and portuguese sausage (chourice and linguica)
Dishes served with two starches are also very common (rice and potatoes) however I haven't seen yellow rice on any of the Portugese menus either in RI or Southeastern MA

The Portuguese here in Southeastern New England get very insulted if you compare their culture/food to Spanish Food and Culture. To them it would be like comparing Norwegian cuisine with Pakistani Cuisine

I'm very surprised about this fact about Portugese influence in RI, Wanderingjew. Growing up in New Jersey, I was always under the impression that the epicenter of Portugese culture was the Ironbound section of Newark. As for the restaurant culture there, NYNM went to only one of several great places. The other notables are Don Pepe, Spanish Sangria, the Spanish Tavern, and Forno's. I really miss this cuisine more than any other, particularly the paella Marinera, and the Paella Valenciana. Also, as NYNM suggests, the Mariscada, which in shellfish and lobster, either with salsa verde (my preference) or 'al Ajillo' which is in a garlic sauce.

wanderingjew
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Tue, 03/25/08 9:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:

quote:

I'm very surprised about this fact about Portugese influence in RI, Wanderingjew. Growing up in New Jersey, I was always under the impression that the epicenter of Portugese culture was the Ironbound section of Newark. As for the restaurant culture there, NYNM went to only one of several great places. The other notables are Don Pepe, Spanish Sangria, the Spanish Tavern, and Forno's. I really miss this cuisine more than any other, particularly the paella Marinera, and the Paella Valenciana. Also, as NYNM suggests, the Mariscada, which in shellfish and lobster, either with salsa verde (my preference) or 'al Ajillo' which is in a garlic sauce.

I've been to the Ironbound, although I'll admit the last time I was there was probably around 1990. I would compare the Ironbound to the "minute" Jewish Community here on the eastside of Providence. Everyone else in Rhode Island thinks it's "ginourmous" but it's actually really tiny in proportion to other cities...The Portuguese communitiy actually extends all the way into southeastern mass into fall river, new bedford, Taunton, Brockton and cape cod

Tedbear
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Tue, 03/25/08 12:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:

quote:

The ones that you mentioned are the most famous and they are generally good. Incidentally, rather than "Forno's", I think that you were referring to Fornos of Spain, which means "ovens of Spain" in Spanish. Some other good ones are Iberia, Iberia Peninsula, and Casa Vasca (a very small one--be prepared to wait in the bar area). There are a few others that I could also recommend if I could recall the names!

unocal76
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Mon, 04/14/08 8:22 AM
hey NYNM, glad to hear you checked out down neck/ironbound...i haven't been in a few years, but my dad used to work around there back in the day, and we'd sojourn there from white plains, so i was a lucky kid to say the least. next time you have to try the pork and clams; i forget the portugese name, but it is a national dish and sooo good. it is made w/ pimento, cilantro, garlic, thinly sliced potatoes, etc., and is out of this world. i feel most of the seafood is tops though. also, i hope you had some sangria, that stuff is killer!

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Tue, 04/15/08 6:34 AM
In Datyon, the closest Ive found ro spanish are a couple Tapas deals. No portugese. I agree the seafood from both is awesome!

britt

tacchino
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Thu, 04/24/08 1:25 AM
The Portuguese speaking community is actually fairly large in the Boston metro area....the Boston Globe did a fairly extensive report a while back about how big the Brazilian community in Framingham had grown. In fact, studies have shown that there are actually more Portuguese speakers in Massachusetts than Spanish speakers. The Portuguese community came first as fishermen primarily from the Azores to work in the seafaring industry in Cape Cod, New Bedford (as Wanderingjew mentioned), and then many moved on to manufacturing jobs on land. Portuguese speakers from Portugal's former colonies of Brazil and Cape Verde followed to Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

NYNM, for a brief period in the late nineties, on Sixth Avenue in your Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan there was a wonderful little Portuguese cafe/panaderia (bakery). The sweet rolls out of that place were fantastic, and the decor had those beautiful "azulejos" or decorated blue tiles, that you see in Portugal and Brazil. I am pretty certain the place has closed, unfortunately..it wasn't too far from the Bed Bath and Beyond store.
Elizabeth, New Jersey also has a small but influential Portuguese community..there are a couple of wonderful restaurants there. They always do a wonderful "frango" (chicken) in these places...definitely order it bone-in, and it comes fried to a delicious mahogany color, with a fantastic garlic sauce.

fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Portuguese/Spanish seafoord - Wed, 05/7/08 12:38 PM
so what place in the Ironbound do people consider to have the best spanish or portuguese food? I hear some people like ibera, others like Il forno, some are big on the Adega grill, etc. What is/are the top restaurant(s) out there?