Cool & Unusual Food Events for Autumn

Author
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
2003/09/29 18:29:59 (permalink)

Cool & Unusual Food Events for Autumn

Dear Friends:

Forgive me if there's already a thread somewhere on food festivals. But I just wanted to let everybody know of these events that I found in...my 2003 Rand McNally Road Atlas (of all places!!) Some of these events might have websites where we can get more info. I'll list here only the "food-related" stuff of these festivals.

NORSK HOSTFEST-October 7-11 in Minot, North Dakota. Food: Lutefisk (everybody's favorite), Lefse, Swedish Meatballs, Danish Kringle.

BOGGY BAYOU MULLET FESTIVAL-October 17-19 in Niceville, Florida. Food: Smoked or fried mullet, crawfish bread, boiled peanuts, alligator-on-a-stick (I am not making that last one up.)

CHATSWORTH CRANBERRY FESTIVAL-October 18-19 in Chatsworth, New Jersey. Food: "A cornucopia of cranberry creations" like cranberry mustard, cranberry vinegar, cranberry ice cream, cranberry upsidedown cake, etc.etc...

KONA COFFEE CULTURAL FESTIVAL-November 1-9 in Kailua Kona, Hawaii. (Time to use those airline miles.) Sample different blends of coffee. There is a recipe contest for desserts utilizing Kona coffee. You can sample the entries, perhaps?

CHITLIN' STRUT-November 29 in Salley, South Carolina. The festival title is self-explanatory...chitlins', chitlins' and more chitlins'. More than 20,000 lbs. are eaten on this one day. There is also a Hog-Calling Contest for those who feel the need to holler.

7 Replies Related Threads

spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Cool & Unusual Food Events for Autumn 2003/10/01 09:20:24 (permalink)
    Kimchee43
    I started a similar thread and there doesn't seem to be much response. Actually, I'm confused. After all, you pretty much have to travel on some "road" to get the "food" at a festival. You'd think it would be a natural.

Anyway, the last one I went to was the Watermelon festival in Green River, Utah. I was travelling through there on my way back east. It was in september of 2001. I'm sure it's over by now for this year. They had watermelons for sale for sure and a lot of local arts and craft stuff. Very small townish. The best food was some Indian tacos that had nothing to do with the theme of the festival. But they were good.

Over the years, I've been to many besides the "taste Of whatever town or city that's having the taste" The best ones are usually the ones I come accross while travelling.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Cool & Unusual Food Events for Autumn 2003/10/01 10:12:44 (permalink)
    Here is a link to the wurstfest in New Braunsfels, TX. I am ashamed to say I have never been, but it is still on my list of places to go.

www.wurstfest.com
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Cool & Unusual Food Events for Autumn 2003/10/01 11:41:50 (permalink)
    Anybody planning on going to the CHITLIN' STRUT in Salley, South Carolina on November 29? If so, I'm sure we'd all love to read a report on it.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Cool & Unusual Food Events for Autumn 2003/10/01 12:58:07 (permalink)
    Not going this year, but went a few years ago !!

I highly recommend everyone go at least once in your life ! You'll never forget it ! In fact you may never get the smell out of the clothes you wear that day !~!

Strom Thrumond was there (back when he was still living .... or at least I think he was still living) !

Ahhhhhhhhh the smell of the place, it was like ...... well, I better not describe it ... you'll just have to experience it yourself !!!
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Cool & Unusual Food Events for Autumn 2003/10/01 18:24:45 (permalink)
    Next weekend is the Trigg County, Ky., country ham festival. Never been before, but there is some great ham in that area. I think I may go this year.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Cool & Unusual Food Events for Autumn 2003/10/01 18:34:48 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete: where is Trigg County, KY???

thanks

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Cool & Unusual Food Events for Autumn 2003/10/01 19:41:57 (permalink)
    Sundancer, Trigg County is northwest of Nashville. Its most famous ham producer is Broadbent's of Cadiz. It's wonderful stuff, better than any Parma or Westphalian ham I've ever found.
    I'll be in Cadiz tomorrow. I'll double check the dates for any interested parties.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1