BBQ Heaven!

Junior Burger
2003/09/30 00:58:37
Thought I'd make all BBQ lovers envious----just had an awesome BBQ meal at Wilber's in Goldsboro today---are you drooling on the keyboard yet? Who agrees with me that Wilber's is some of the best to be found?
spadoman
Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ Heaven! 2003/09/30 08:01:10
Too bad I don't live anywhere near there and don't have plans to go there soon. But the best BBQ here in Minneapolis is Ted Cook's 19th Hole. Yes, like golf, but the place has nothing to do with golf or a golf course. There isn't even one nearby.
There are a lot of great BBQ places. Some are good, some are better, some are great. If your in Minnesota and near Minneapolis, try Ted Cooks, 38th street west of Hiawatha a few blocks. Carry out only. Hot, medium or mild sauce. Ribs, small end ribs, chicken and brisket. Jojo potatoes, greens, peas, cobbler and sweet potato pie.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ Heaven! 2003/09/30 08:40:17
quote:
Originally posted by Charlottean

Thought I'd make all BBQ lovers envious----just had an awesome BBQ meal at Wilber's in Goldsboro today---are you drooling on the keyboard yet? Who agrees with me that Wilber's is some of the best to be found?

You were asking about Parker's last week, but I see that you took my advice and stopped at Wilber's instead. NOW you need to drive 55 miles north of Charlotte to try "Lexington # 1" in Lexington or drive 45 miles west for "Bridges BBQ Lodge" in Shelby for the best in western NC Q (I prefer Lexington # 1). Yes, Wilber's and Skylight are the best eastern NC Q. And these 4 are among the few remaining NC BBQ places that still cook with wood embers.
Wish they used some of this Iowa pork like that here in Des Moines. Maybe someone should open up a pit restaurant around here to help them exploit their plenty. HMMMMM? Naw--I'm too old to handle the pace. But I can still open up Bob Garner's NC Barbecue book,stir up his western NC sauce recipe and pretend that I'm back in the piedmont. But I still can't find any decent hushpuppies outside NC.
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: BBQ Heaven! 2003/09/30 09:17:29
quote:

Wilbur's is good on that side of the state, but I like Country's in Greensboro and Lexington-1 and Bridges in Shelby in the west. I'm drooling, and decided to smoke a pork shoulder this weekend as a result.
Charlottean
Junior Burger
RE: BBQ Heaven! 2003/09/30 14:20:33
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:

You were asking about Parker's last week, but I see that you took my advice and stopped at Wilber's instead. NOW you need to drive 55 miles north of Charlotte to try "Lexington # 1" in Lexington or drive 45 miles west for "Bridges BBQ Lodge" in Shelby for the best in western NC Q (I prefer Lexington # 1). Yes, Wilber's and Skylight are the best eastern NC Q. And these 4 are among the few remaining NC BBQ places that still cook with wood embers.
Wish they used some of this Iowa pork like that here in Des Moines. Maybe someone should open up a pit restaurant around here to help them exploit their plenty. HMMMMM? Naw--I'm too old to handle the pace. But I can still open up Bob Garner's NC Barbecue book,stir up his western NC sauce recipe and pretend that I'm back in the piedmont. But I still can't find any decent hushpuppies outside NC.
Charlottean
Junior Burger
RE: BBQ Heaven! 2003/09/30 14:25:05
Hillbilly, I agree with you that Lexington #1, and also Bridges in Shelby are fantastic. In fact, I grew up eating BBQ at Bridges(in the 50's!). NC is fortunate to have several good places to choose from.