quote:
Originally posted by SeamusD

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

I fell in love with a guy from B'Ville--- SIGH.. Sigh....
(when I lived in Eagle Bay.)..I met him the first winter, when he came with some friends to snowmobile. We were unseparable that week.. and afterwards I used to go to Bville to visit him..

Dave/David!... dammit.. cant remember his last name......
But Thanks for the happy memories of him!

I go to B'ville frequently to visit friends... and to stop at Wacky Wyatt's BBQ.

The B'ville Diner is my usual stop if I want the skinny on B'ville politics, topics and gossips.

(yeah yeah, I know, it's gossip, not gossips...I was just being...er, uh...poetical)

That's a late night stop for me if I'm out that way... one of the best diners around, and a local institution.

Well, late night usually had me in the Armory, so Serpicos or Doc's Little Gem was my late night diner (or Pete's Diner in the old days when I went to Club 57 or RJ O'Toole's.) B'ville, for me, was always a morning diner. Copious amounts of fresh coffee, the mayor at a nearby table, and the same waitresses year in and year out.

But, night or day, definately a local institution.

When I was in hs, it was before the expansion, and that place was super crowded in the morning. We only went every now and then during the week. A few of us would meet up with some of our teachers who lived in B'ville, but taught in Liverpool. I couldn't do that during swim season, since I was in the pool by 6:00am, but in the Spring, when the weather warmed up, that was a ton of fun. One of the teachers ate there every single morning. Never alone, there was always someone there from school to greet him. He was an institution himself - both at the school and at the B'ville Diner!

billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/13 02:12:42
...you can smell the fish fry at every restaurant on Friday nights as you walk down the street.
Cosmos
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/13 10:41:43
quote:
Originally posted by billyboy

...you can smell the fish fry at every restaurant on Friday nights as you walk down the street.
...And the new england clam chowder...(I can't get Manhattan chowder around here to save my soul...I know, I know ...its not really a chowder...)
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/13 18:54:45
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

quote:
Originally posted by billyboy

...And the new england clam chowder...(I can't get Manhattan chowder around here to save my soul...I know, I know ...its not really a chowder...)

And corn chowder at field days in the summer.
SeamusD
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/14 11:16:43
quote:

Well, late night usually had me in the Armory, so Serpicos or Doc's Little Gem was my late night diner (or Pete's Diner in the old days when I went to Club 57 or RJ O'Toole's.) B'ville, for me, was always a morning diner. Copious amounts of fresh coffee, the mayor at a nearby table, and the same waitresses year in and year out.

When I was in hs, it was before the expansion, and that place was super crowded in the morning. We only went every now and then during the week. A few of us would meet up with some of our teachers who lived in B'ville, but taught in Liverpool. I couldn't do that during swim season, since I was in the pool by 6:00am, but in the Spring, when the weather warmed up, that was a ton of fun. One of the teachers ate there every single morning. Never alone, there was always someone there from school to greet him. He was an institution himself - both at the school and at the B'ville Diner!

I work down the street from Doc's, and go there for lunch when I get a chance to. They just had to close and rebuild a portion of the diner after a fire last year. They came back though, to the relief of many people.
If I'm in Armory late night (which is rare nowadays), I usually stop at Nick's Tomato Pie for a slice or two before heading home. I try not to eat big diner meals late at night anymore, so I save my Doc's trips for daytimes.
I think RJ O'Toole's is long gone, might be the Clinton St. Pub now... at any rate, it's a college-age hangout, so I avoid it. I usually go to Blue Tusk or The Limerick.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/14 13:39:27
quote:

quote:

I work down the street from Doc's, and go there for lunch when I get a chance to. They just had to close and rebuild a portion of the diner after a fire last year. They came back though, to the relief of many people.
If I'm in Armory late night (which is rare nowadays), I usually stop at Nick's Tomato Pie for a slice or two before heading home. I try not to eat big diner meals late at night anymore, so I save my Doc's trips for daytimes.
I think RJ O'Toole's is long gone, might be the Clinton St. Pub now... at any rate, it's a college-age hangout, so I avoid it. I usually go to Blue Tusk or The Limerick.

RJ O'Toole's used to be on Rt. 11 in North Syracuse.

The Clinton St. Pub was Rosie O'Grady's or something like that. It had moved from the Westside into that spot (which has another name). Another name on that place was RJ Lannigans. But I only went there a few times. Mostly went to Zoo Station, Mully's, Limerick... Occasionally we went to Awful Ale's, Phantom Club (early on - then it became terrible) Now when we go to Armory we go to Daniel Jack's. It's low key, even though the piano player they have/had was downright awful. At least we can hear each other and have a good conversation.

We were excited to see Empire Brewing back open, and we had to go there over Christmas. The menu has changed, and, in addition to their own beers, they serve beers other than their own. So obviously, even though the name and concept was bought, it's not quite the same as the original.

Oh well. As a Liverpool Boy, I'm just as happy going to The Retreat, rather than paying for parking to go to overcrowded bars filled with over-egoed guys in Armory Sq.

Oh, I almost forgot...prior to Armory being the hip spot, we used to go to Roman's in Franklin Square. The owner opened a second location in Alex Bay. I think Roman's iss gone now, but that was where a bunch of us had our 21st birthday celebration. I remember Charlie Roman getting up oon the bar and pouring peppermint schnapps down everyone's mouth. And then the whole cherry thing with the 21 year old girls - it was a little creepy, though, on a more recent visit, when he was 45 years old and doing the same schtick he started when he wasn't even 30. That man was permenantly stuck in 1982....maybe 84.

Cosmos
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/14 18:57:04
quote:

The Clinton St. Pub was Rosie O'Grady's or something like that.

We were excited to see Empire Brewing back open, and we had to go there over Christmas.

Oh, I almost forgot...prior to Armory being the hip spot, we used to go to Roman's in Franklin Square. The owner opened a second location in Alex Bay. I think Roman's is gone now.
Rosie O'Grady's isn't the place you are thinking of. It was owned by our Mayor and sold to Peter Coleman a year or so ago. Peter paid some unskilled labor to 'fix'it up and it is now open as Rosie's...run by one of his kids.

Haven't been back the Empire..I still can taste the award winning heffe wiess beer from the original...I don't want to ruin that memory.

Roman's is indeed gone...tax evasion I think it was...There's been a couple three different places in there...Its now open as Wise Guys comedy/magic club...Haven't gone there either...not that I have any memories of Romans to ruin...I just don't like to be 'entertained' at dinner or lunch.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/14 21:20:01
"being entertained at dinner...". In my callow youth ( c.1953) I thought it would be great fun to go to a dinner theatre in Elmsford, NY. (Westchester County). Got dressed for the occasion ( those were the days when we wore our summer cord suit. white shirt and tie to go out to dinner), brought along my date, and had a perfectly awful evening. The date was fine, a lovely girl who was happy to go along with just about anything. But the show - a kind of concert rendition of some Broadway show was amateurish, uncoordinated, , and boring. The food was a step down from school cafeteria fare, the service, offered by actors who were not otherwise engaged on the stage at any given moment, was indifferent, inept, casual, and condescending. The ambience was totally lacking: uncomfortable chairs, tiny tables, poor aucustics, impossible sightlines to the stage, and stifiling hot.

Needless to say, I've avoided any place that offers "entertainment" with a meal ever since that memorable evening.

It just came to me that I'm quite sure that was the same evening when we stopped at the "Lakeland Inn" on the Taconic Parkway on our way home and ran into a happy party scene - the place was jumping: jazz on the juke box, drinks flowing (we favored gin rickeys in summer in those days), and everyone in a party mood. A disapointing evening saved by a casual stop for a drink at a usually stuffy place that was totally alive for one evening.

Cheers, John

sizz
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/14 23:06:13
Johnny-me-boy: that moved a rock from under came this declaration . You might be from Upstate NY if..........the only live theatre you have ever experienced was in the round and under a tent.
SeamusD
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/15 12:59:33
quote:

RJ O'Toole's used to be on Rt. 11 in North Syracuse.

The Clinton St. Pub was Rosie O'Grady's or something like that. It had moved from the Westside into that spot (which has another name). Another name on that place was RJ Lannigans. But I only went there a few times. Mostly went to Zoo Station, Mully's, Limerick... Occasionally we went to Awful Ale's, Phantom Club (early on - then it became terrible) Now when we go to Armory we go to Daniel Jack's. It's low key, even though the piano player they have/had was downright awful. At least we can hear each other and have a good conversation.

We were excited to see Empire Brewing back open, and we had to go there over Christmas. The menu has changed, and, in addition to their own beers, they serve beers other than their own. So obviously, even though the name and concept was bought, it's not quite the same as the original.

Oh well. As a Liverpool Boy, I'm just as happy going to The Retreat, rather than paying for parking to go to overcrowded bars filled with over-egoed guys in Armory Sq.

I remember Clinton St. Pub being RJ Lannigans (couldn't stand it as either place), not sure where in N. Syracuse RJ O'Toole's was.
Cosmos is right, Rosie O'Grady's was on the corner of West Genesee and West Fayette St. (or Syracuse St. they all intersect there) across from Denny's. As stated it's owned by Coleman's and is now Rosie's.
Zoo Station is gone, Awful Al's is smoke free and just Al's now, and Phantom Club is now part of the abomination known as Daisy Duke's. Dancing on one side, mechanical bull on the other.
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
RE: You might be from Upstate NY if... 2008/04/15 13:28:21
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

Johnny-me-boy: that moved a rock from under came this declaration . You might be from Upstate NY if..........the only live theatre you have ever experienced was in the round and under a tent.

And it's in North Tonawanda near the Wurlitzer Plant.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2