Shad Roe

kozel
  • Total Posts : 811
  • Reward points : 0
Shad Roe - Sat, 04/5/08 1:01 PM
I got my first pair of the season today, anyone else?

bigbear
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Shad Roe - Sat, 04/5/08 6:54 PM
(Insert tasteless joke here.)

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Shad Roe - Sat, 04/5/08 7:20 PM
Having been raised in Upstate NY, I am very familiar with shad and shad roe. I used to love it as a child- but then the EPA started saying that the Hudson River contained some pretty awful stuff- and so as a family we stopped eating and enjoying it. Now that I live in Dallas, shad roe is not on any menu that is in any restaurant that I am familiar with. How did you cook them? I think my mom used to pan saute the roe- but don't quote me on that one. I do remember having to watch out for the bones in the fish- shad are notorious for being full of bones!

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Shad Roe - Sat, 04/5/08 8:47 PM
Had my first set of roes in late February in Kent Island, Md - not great- smothered in a too rich sauce. A week later I had shad roes at Gadaletto's restaurant here in New Paltz, perfectly cooked and served with bacon and onions. (Also had a beautiful bowl of Billi B soup that evening.) Gadalettos Seafood Market has had roe and filets sporadically for the last month or so, but none from the Hudson river. I've cooked both roes and filets here at home - I think they were from Chesapeake Bay or Delaware Bay - anyway, they were delicious gently sauted n the case of the roes and grilled in the case of the filets.

I dont think I'll see any Hudson River shad this year. The State has placed severe restrictions on the fishermen and anyway, the shad are so scarce that most of our local netters have given up and are not even setting or drifting nets this year. Among other problems, the river is so full of striped bass that, because they cannot be legallly taken,due to the PCBs, that almost all of the herring population has been wiped out by the bass.

BTW: Kozel, are you by any chance a member of the famous Columbia county restaurant family?

Cheers, John

bigbear
RE: Shad Roe - Sun, 04/6/08 12:29 AM
The New England Shad Association reported the first signs of herring showing up at the mouth of the Connecticut River today.

My mother was a Connecticut River shad fanatic. I remember driving her up there in May, just to buy shad and shad roe.

Once home, the filets were broiled and the roe sacks were sauted gently.

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Shad Roe - Sun, 04/6/08 1:03 AM
Shad Roe used to be a big deal in Baltimore, but I have yet to see it on a menu around here. I know I can get it at Lexington Market, but I've been looking to try it in a restaurant.

kozel
RE: Shad Roe - Sun, 04/6/08 8:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

I dont think I'll see any Hudson River shad this year. The State has placed severe restrictions on the fishermen and anyway, the shad are so scarce that most of our local netters have given up and are not even setting or drifting nets this year. Among other problems, the river is so full of striped bass that, because they cannot be legallly taken,due to the PCBs, that almost all of the herring population has been wiped out by the bass.

BTW: Kozel, are you by any chance a member of the famous Columbia county restaurant family?

Cheers, John

There is a shad festival to be held in Lambertville NJ on April 26 & 27. http://www.lambertville.org/main.php?page=shadfest

John, you are referring to that place on Rt 9H in Ghent? No relation that I know of. I've been there and my dad used to carry their business card in his wallet and he passed away in 1977. I think that place has been there since the 30's.

kozel
RE: Shad Roe - Sun, 04/6/08 8:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bigbear

My mother was a Connecticut River shad fanatic. I remember driving her up there in May, just to buy shad and shad roe.

That's the way it was in our house too.

kozel
RE: Shad Roe - Sun, 04/6/08 8:48 AM
quote:

(Insert tasteless joke here.)

None of that mouthfulsfood.com humor here!

bigbear
RE: Shad Roe - Sun, 04/6/08 3:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

quote:

That's the way it was in our house too.

I knew dat.

Williamsburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Shad Roe - Sat, 05/3/08 1:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

I got my first pair of the season today, anyone else?

I had my first Shad Roe ever a few days before Easter. Only a couple of bits off my parents plates. I don't see it much as a menu item, but this was at the country club they belong to. I really liked it and want to try it again. They had it listed as being served with onions and bacon, but M&D asked them to just saute it in butter. That's how Mom said she'd do it at home.

Cathy

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3668
RE: Shad Roe - Sat, 05/3/08 2:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

Shad Roe used to be a big deal in Baltimore, but I have yet to see it on a menu around here. I know I can get it at Lexington Market, but I've been looking to try it in a restaurant.

They specialize in it here. Just a nice short drive away for you.

http://www.shamrockrestaurant.com/

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4900
RE: Shad Roe - Sat, 05/3/08 3:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:
Originally posted by mland520

Having been raised in Upstate NY, I am very familiar with shad and shad roe. I used to love it as a child- but then the EPA started saying that the Hudson River contained some pretty awful stuff- and so as a family we stopped eating and enjoying it. Now that I live in Dallas, shad roe is not on any menu that is in any restaurant that I am familiar with. How did you cook them? I think my mom used to pan saute the roe- but don't quote me on that one. I do remember having to watch out for the bones in the fish- shad are notorious for being full of bones!

As I live in Dallas as well, there is no such "critter" as shad roe on any menu here. Also, It's a very short season as I remember it. I do however, vividly remember enjoying a "pair" at the Plaza Hotel in NYC one spring a few years ago.