LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip !

bigcab
  • Total Posts : 99
  • Reward points : 0
LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 10:17 AM

Slim Strummer
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 10:30 AM
Besides the excellent sandwiches and pies, the coffee used to cost nine cents (well it did 1995). I wonder if it does still?

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 10:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Slim Strummer

Besides the excellent sandwiches and pies, the coffee used to cost nine cents (well it did 1995). I wonder if it does still?

It's a dime!

Slim Strummer
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 1:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:
Originally posted by Slim Strummer

It's a dime!

That's it. I am never going again.

Unless I am in LA. And I want a french dip sandwich.

Catracks
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 2:07 PM
<i>"When you reach the counter, you don't need to consult the menu on the wall, of course. You've been here before. You make it short and snappy--"Beef, double dip. Coleslaw, blueberry pie, coffee.""</i>

Actually it's: "Beef dip with blue cheese, coleslaw and berry pie ala mode with coffee."

Their ice cream is made locally and cannot be beat. I wish I could remember where.

Cole's makes better beef dips, but Phillipe's is a tradition. I even have a jar of their mustard in the fridge. I should go to Cole's too as they always seem to want to tear it down. It will be gone forever soon. Oh well, time to drive downtown.

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 3:35 PM
Catracks, good idea about Cole's -- I'll add that to our L.A. list for our next visit. Have you tried The Hat's dip sandwiches in Simi Valley? They're also delicious...and legendary in those parts. Chris

Slim Strummer
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 3:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ayersian

Catracks, good idea about Cole's -- I'll add that to our L.A. list for our next visit. Have you tried The Hat's dip sandwiches in Simi Valley? They're also delicious...and legendary in those parts. Chris

Ah, The Hat. Their chili cheese fries easily feed three.

Never had their dip, though--I am dubious that it could be better than Philippe's, but I will give it a try.

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 4:31 PM
We will be in LA in a few weeks for a quick layover. I'm trying to decide between Phillippe's, Langers Deli or Canter's Deli. How about some suggestions?

Slim Strummer
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 5:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

We will be in LA in a few weeks for a quick layover. I'm trying to decide between Phillippe's, Langers Deli or Canter's Deli. How about some suggestions?

If you have gone the deli route before in another town, you can go without seeing Langer's and Canter's.

If not, then there are more celebrities at Canter's (if that is your bag). Langer's is better, in my opinion (thick cut pastrami sandwiches), but is not open at night, as I recall (dodgy neighborhood, but one stop on the subway from downtown).

But Philippe's must be seen to be believed, so I think that is your best bet.

What you SHOULD be asking is whether you have to see the Grand Central Market downtown (toungue tacos--I took some tiddly winks attorney down there one day as we were trying to close a deal and he almost hurled--good times--I, of course, ate everything in site).

You can't go wrong with any of them, truth be told.

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Mon, 04/7/08 5:08 PM
I visited Philippe's for the first time when I was in LA for a couple of days last month for a conference at USC. I loved it. The food is great and the clientele interesting. I shared a table with an older gentleman, and because we were both drinking lemonade, we had a conversation about President Rutherford B. Hayes' wife, "Lemonade Lucy," a teetotaler who banned alcohol from the White House. I arrived at 1:45 p.m. on a Thursday, just after the lunch rush, and got through the carver line in about 10 minutes. How "quick" is your layover? I think it's about a 25-minute drive to Philippe's from LAX.

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Tue, 04/8/08 7:30 AM
We have a few hours layover and I wanted to take Mrs. Oneiron to a few touristy places in Hollywood and B. Hills (she's never been to LA) and the end of Rte. 66 in Santa Monica. It looks like we'll head to Phillippes before heading back to the airport. Thanks for the advice. How's the crowd at Phillippes on Sat. aftrnoon about 2 or 3?

Slim Strummer
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Tue, 04/8/08 11:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

We have a few hours layover and I wanted to take Mrs. Oneiron to a few touristy places in Hollywood and B. Hills (she's never been to LA) and the end of Rte. 66 in Santa Monica. It looks like we'll head to Phillippes before heading back to the airport. Thanks for the advice. How's the crowd at Phillippes on Sat. aftrnoon about 2 or 3?

It will be jammed. Adjust your plans accordingly. And enjoy your meal!

Catracks
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Tue, 04/8/08 1:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ayersian

There are three Hat's within minutes of me. One is the original on Valley & Garfield in Alhambra, next is the one on Villa & Lake in Pasadena and finally Rosemead and something in Temple City.

I grew up on The Hat's pastrami dip and chili or wet fries. My daughter was bugging to pick some up this week. She likes to munch on the yellow chili peppers.

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: LA Times write up- Phillipe's Roast Beef dip ! - Wed, 04/9/08 1:26 AM
IMHO, the potato salad at Phillipe is one of the best I've ever had. Hate those plates they use there though. But that's the way it is with long established places. They don't change. Here in Baltimore there's a carry out that serves a very thick milkshake. They've been around for about 50 years, maybe more, and only offer a skinny straw to suck up that shake. Why, because probably when they opened, a wider straw wasn't marketed, and this place just keeps doing what they've been doing.