Chicken Chili???

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Reward points : 0
Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 12:43 PM
O.k. I stated in another post that I like Justin Wilson and John Folse as "soulmates", chose Justin over John because he doesn't cook as "healthy". Well, I just watched John Folse make healthy chili. The meat he used was(drum roll please), ground chicken gizzards, AND ground chicken thigh meat????!!!!! OMG! Thank goodness he at least added a cup of beer(could have used more IMO). I suppose it was light too. Has anyone ever made or ate chili(knowingly)of this type??

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 2:30 PM
No, and I hope like hell I am never offered any.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6205
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 2:45 PM
My ex-mother-in-law used to make ground turkey chili........gross. Lone Star, cover your eyes and don't read this!

hermitt4d
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 3:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

O.k. I stated in another post that I like Justin Wilson and John Folse as "soulmates", chose Justin over John because he doesn't cook as "healthy". Well, I just watched John Folse make healthy chili. The meat he used was(drum roll please), ground chicken gizzards, AND ground chicken thigh meat????!!!!! OMG! Thank goodness he at least added a cup of beer(could have used more IMO). I suppose it was light too. Has anyone ever made or ate chili(knowingly)of this type??

I'm in the dark - who is John Folse. Is the recipe on the web? Would at least make interesting reading. IMHO, chicken is great for soups, hearty stews with lots of veggies, casseroles, fried, rotisseried, grilled or roasted, but isn't suitable for anything properly called chili, which is mostly meat and seasonings. I've tried several recipes for 'white' chili and always wind up adding lots of veggies and turning it into a stew if I make it more than once.

hermitt4d
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 3:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

My ex-mother-in-law used to make ground turkey chili........gross. Lone Star, cover your eyes and don't read this!

I used to make ground turkey chili often, with the Wick Fowler mix and some beans. If you use hamburger grind meat or beef and simmer it as long as you're supposed to, it pretty well turns to mush. Ground turkey is a lot worse about that, so you can't simmer it very long. Was okay to use on chili cheese burgers or hot dogs, but wasn't very interesting as chili. I made it and ate it, anyway. It made hot dogs made with turkey or chicken weiners a lot better, because of the spices.

Then, fortunately, Dr. Atkins convinced me red meat with lots of fat is actually good for me. Still have a pound of ground turkey in my freezer that's been there more than 4 years. Anybody know a good use for this stuff?

Mayhaw Man
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 3:26 PM
John Folse is a one man band from Donaldsonville, La. He is a longtime chef on Louisiana Public Television and runs a really great place in Donaldsonville called Lafitte's Landing (fine dining, really, really good) and also has the Bittersweet Plantation, a destination type dining/b and b experience. He runs a culinary school at Nicholls State in Thibodeaux that is gaining in national reputation. Also, as a local aside, if you ever see his tv program you will notice that he has a very strange accent. You might be looking for something akin to Justin Wilson for the accent, but the part of the state he is from has a melange of German and French and Spanish heritage and the accent is really interesting. He has alwasy seemed like a really good guy and travels alot as the "Ambassador of Louisiana Cooking". Excellent pedigree food wise. He also has a good website.

http://www.jfolse.com/

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 4:22 PM
Just checked out the website. Lots of good recipes. I'm just thankful that his chicken chili WAS NOT the recipe of the week......

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3546
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 6:43 PM
I've used turkey thighs/drums chunked up in chili before and the dark meat actually was very good. It makes a definitely good chili. Can't comment on ground turkey--------I don't grind my beef for chili either, just small chunks.

lleechef
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 6:53 PM
Hermitt, um, 4-year-old frozen ground turkey......let's see, do you own a .50 caliber? You could fill the shells with it! Several Militia groups re-enact Civil War encampments, you could donate it for cannon ammo. WHATEVER YOU DO.......DON'T EAT IT!

KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 9:10 PM
Ground chicken gizzards AND ground chicken thighs??! Hopefully, the beer killed the taste. Sounds perfectly odious. I refuse to eat "chili" made with ground fowl of any kind. There's something about the smell, to say nothing of the taste, that is a real turn-off to me. Besides, it's not "real chili" anyway, in my opinion.

hermitt4d
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Wed, 10/1/03 9:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

John Folse is a one man band from Donaldsonville, La. He is a longtime chef on Louisiana Public Television and runs a really great place in Donaldsonville called Lafitte's Landing (fine dining, really, really good) and also has the Bittersweet Plantation, a destination type dining/b and b experience. He runs a culinary school at Nicholls State in Thibodeaux that is gaining in national reputation. Also, as a local aside, if you ever see his tv program you will notice that he has a very strange accent. You might be looking for something akin to Justin Wilson for the accent, but the part of the state he is from has a melange of German and French and Spanish heritage and the accent is really interesting. He has alwasy seemed like a really good guy and travels alot as the "Ambassador of Louisiana Cooking". Excellent pedigree food wise. He also has a good website.

http://www.jfolse.com/

Thanks, Mayhaw Man.

A cajun, hah? I was thinking even before I clicked on the website, if a cajun was gonna make 'white chili,' he ought to use alligator, not chicken.

And there it is -- a recipe for alligator chili. I think I'm gonna have to try this .

ronhof
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Sat, 10/25/03 12:50 AM
Turkey chili works, but only if cooked in lard. Chicken flat doesn't get the flavor, even with lard. For me, nothing beats cow.

skylar0ne
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Sat, 10/25/03 5:39 PM
Don't everybody retch at once, but I once went to Diet Center for about a year, and they gave me a recipe for making chile with beef heart. I made some, and it was good -- probably because I'd been on a diet of fruit, boiled eggs and wasa crackers for over six months. I wouldn't eat that mess now if you paid me.

Dipstick
  • Total Posts : 337
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Sat, 10/25/03 6:09 PM
quote:

Hermitt, um, 4-year-old frozen ground turkey......let's see, do you own a .50 caliber? You could fill the shells with it! Several Militia groups re-enact Civil War encampments, you could donate it for cannon ammo. WHATEVER YOU DO.......DON'T EAT IT!

Once again, a roadfooder comes through to make me laugh my a** off! Good one llee!!!
But seeing as it is GROUND turkey, wouldn't a shovel burying said item be more appropriate

pigface
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Sat, 10/25/03 8:37 PM
Chicken Chili .... ???
I was in Cicrleville, Ohio last weekend for the
Circleville Pumpkin Show (www.com)
They HadPUMPKIN CHILI

And sold out of the Stuff by Saturday afternoon

lleechef
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Mon, 10/27/03 7:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dipstick

quote:

Once again, a roadfooder comes through to make me laugh my a** off! Good one llee!!!
But seeing as it is GROUND turkey, wouldn't a shovel burying said item be more appropriate

Why waste the effort? Just throw it in a cannon, put a good dollop of gunpowder and KABOOM! Catapulting turkey wads all over the place. Then go and get some good chili made with beef!

Marsh
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Chicken Chili??? - Tue, 10/28/03 3:09 AM
Chicken Chili, like at Jason's Deli is good, its more like tortilla soup the chili. The only alternative to beef chili is buffalo. Bubba's on Westpark in Houston supposdily does this. Chili like Fajitas should be beef, not chicken, shrimp, or pork.