me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08

Filet Mignon
2008/04/08 21:59:22
My sister and I drove over yesterday to Harold's , Edison, NJ.
I figure it's been a few days since there was a report from Harold's.. so we're due..

Time for a little salivating again..

I had the pastrami (in the forefront) and she had the corned beef

I thought the pastrami was a little "off" this time. While I like it moist, this time it had a little too much of that "watery" taste.
Also, my sis commented that mine looked light pink, as opposed to the dark pink of her favorite pastrami, the Carnegie.
I remarked that Harold's IS usually a darker pink.

Sis wanted me to tell you that while she thought her corned beef had a nice flavor, it was a tad dry. (espescially if she tried to put more than a few slices in her mouth at once... ) (that's where the Russian dressing really helped)

Harold was there, as usual... manning his podium, and helping with the seating, etc...

On the way out, we passed by a man carrying a couple of long, thin boxes. When we got outside, we saw just what he was delivering...
BREAD!! The mystery of just where Harold gets his rye bread is solved. Certified Bakery, Carlstadt, NJ

In the article mentioning the opening of his 2nd location in East Brunswick (coming summer 2008), Harold says that everything is homemade, except his bread. (which I had'nt known)...

Well, this bakery bread is certified "excellent" in my book!!
Good choice, Harold...

When the weather gets nice again, sis and I will go into NYC for lunch. I told her I'll do the Carnegie with her if she'll try my new favorite place, Sarge's ....

--ellen--
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/08 23:07:47
Yes, Certified is one of the last remaining specialty bakers in the NYC Metro area. If memory serves right, Zabar's and Fairway sell some of their breads in Manhattan. If you call the Certified office, they will tell you where you can buy some of their bread at retail.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 00:19:11
And according to[url='http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E04EED71F3DF936A2575AC0A96F958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all']this 1999 article[/url] in the NYT, written by the late R.W. Apple Jr., Certified is also the source for Carnegie Deli's rye bread (at least it was in 1999).
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 00:49:54
Ellen Ellen Ellen.....What can we say. More incredible pictures. A slight chink in Harold's pastrami armor? A little too light colored? Slightly dry? Maybe a bit watery. My G-d! Here in Florida and other parts of the country deprived of pastrami and corned beef, we'd take his throwaways in a heartbeat!

What ever happened to Pechter's for seeded rye?

David_NYC
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 01:24:00
Pechter's is still producing seeded rye in Harrison. They are now part of Rockland Baking of Nanuet, NY. Besides Pechters and Certified, you also have Sunrise Bakery in Brooklyn as a specialty baker.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 10:42:50
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

Pechter's is still producing seeded rye in Harrison. They are now part of Rockland Baking of Nanuet, NY. Besides Pechters and Certified, you also have Sunrise Bakery in Brooklyn as a specialty baker.

Here's that Pechter's for you, Baah Ben !!

I wanted to give it another try, due to recent Roadfood comments.
It still did'nt do that much for me. Guess I like that extra fresh Certified Bakery type with the crisp seeded crust.

Pechter's is not so prominent here in South Jersey. I only saw it at one supermarket, I think I bought this at Acme.
Perhaps it still has good standing up in North Jersey?

Thanks for the info David... and also Bruce and Sue..
I find the Carnegie rye bread barely average, and not super fresh, so to me it does'nt seem like they are still using Certified..

And great schmoozing again with you , Baah Ben ....(missed ya!)
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 10:48:23
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Ellen Ellen Ellen.....What can we say. More incredible pictures. A slight chink in Harold's pastrami armor? A little too light colored? Slightly dry? Maybe a bit watery. My G-d! Here in Florida and other parts of the country deprived of pastrami and corned beef, we'd take his throwaways in a heartbeat!

What ever happened to Pechter's for seeded rye?

My pastrami leftovers made for a great breakfast this morning!
And I've still got more left in the fridge. Wish I could e-mail it to you, Baah Ben! I could use some help finishing this pastrami...
and I know your mouth is watering...
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 11:02:27
Boy, that looks good. Hey, it's breakfast so why don't you have a couple of eggs and I'll finish the pastrami....Ha Ha
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 11:38:14
Pechter's makes more than one kind of rye bread. The standard version, like you might see in your supermarket (if they carry Pechter's) is pretty ordinary. It's the same bread used by Katz's in NYC, unfortunately. That bread is dry and dull.

We found something else recently, also by Pechter's. A Wegmans in Mt. Laurel, NJ sells bags of sliced Pechter's, and these slices are truly enormous, maybe 10 inches wide. The bags vary in size, and the slices must be coming from huge loaves. This bread is fantastic! It's moist, springy, has great flavor, is loaded with caraway seeds within, charnushka on top, and cornmeal on the bottom.

It's not carried by every Wegmans; we haven't seen it in the Princeton, NJ store.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 12:51:15
Thanks Bruce & Sue,
I'll look for that special Pechter's rye when I'm up at the Wegmans in Manalapan, NJ by my sisters...
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 12:54:58
I will never,ever,get sick of pictures from Harolds.Makes me practically drool.Thanks,Ellen.Sure wish I could get my hands on that rye bread..
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 14:52:56
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

I will never,ever,get sick of pictures from Harolds.Makes me practically drool.Thanks,Ellen.Sure wish I could get my hands on that rye bread..

thanks, ann....

Hey, I was googling on the internet and I see that the Certified Bakery also has a retail store. (breads, pies, and cakes)
I feel a Roadfood bakery tour coming on!!
David_NYC
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 14:58:52
Ellen:

What address is given for the retail outlet of Certified? I know they did not have one at the Carlstadt bakery the last time I was out in the Meadowlands.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 17:19:54
quote:

Ellen:

What address is given for the retail outlet of Certified? I know they did not have one at the Carlstadt bakery the last time I was out in the Meadowlands.

I could not find their own actual website, only another website (Macrae's blue book) that said Certified had a retail outlet.
Sounds like that might have been some misinformation...
Did they let you purchase anything at the bakery, or was it just a big factory?
We could always call them at:
201- 635- 9235

David_NYC
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 17:40:00
There was just a big factory in Carlstadt, in an industrial park. I called Certifed about a year ago asking if they had a retail store and they said no but asked me where I live. They then gave me the names of stores that sold their bread. Macrae's is not always accurate. The only bakeries I know of with factory outlets are Pechters and Rockland Baking.
CheeseWit
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/09 17:45:51
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:

Ellen:

I could not find their own actual website, only another website (Macrae's blue book) that said Certified had a retail outlet.
Sounds like that might have been some misinformation...
Did they let you purchase anything at the bakery, or was it just a big factory?
We could always call them at:
201- 635- 9235

It doesn't say it has a retail outlet. The description is 1. Commercial bakery. The next thing listed is retail bakery frozen pastry dough - that means it supplies frozen pastry dough to retail bakeries.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/04/10 08:39:00
Both the pastrami and the corned beef look mighty good to me.
jedijf
Junior Burger
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/10/01 08:22:31
Pechter's 'Blumenthal' Rye is available in South/Central Jersey

at Wegmans - Mt Laurel and Cherry Hill

Stop & Shop Stores in Central Jersey (Whiting and Tom's River areas)

Shop-Rite Manchester (Lakehurst'ish)

and some Foodtown Stores (whiting, Smithville)

In PA. at Wegman's in Warrington, PA.

Call (856) 786-8000 for info, or visit www.pechterbread.com

North Jersey info is available at 1-800-525-5779.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/10/02 07:25:12
Ellen4642:

Isn't it time for a trip to Harold's

leethebard
Sirloin
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/10/02 07:33:29
Pechter's is SUPERB!!!!!
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: me and my sister visit Harold's Deli 4-7-08 2008/10/02 18:15:55
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

Ellen4642:

Isn't it time for a trip to Harold's

NO, it's time for a trip to Daytona Beach. Well, I guess there's time for a couple of other trips before then.