No California or Oregon Salmon

Double-chop Porterhouse
2008/04/10 21:13:18
There'll be no commercial salmon fishing off the coasts of California and Oregon this year. That will sure boost the price of wild-caught salmon.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DISAPPEARING_SALMON?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: No California or Oregon Salmon 2008/04/10 22:22:10
I don't think I understand. I believe that the article said that the fisheries managers decided to stop commercial fishing for salmon. Why would they do this? Just so I understand, this is not government regulation, right?
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: No California or Oregon Salmon 2008/04/10 22:47:31
Because, relatively speaking, there aren't any.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/10/BAO6103NBB.DTL&tsp=1

Dams and water projects. This thread will probably get deleted because it is entirely entertwined with BushCo politics.
See also:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26185&whichpage=2
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: No California or Oregon Salmon 2008/04/10 23:00:46
So is the idea to not fish for a year or so to let the salmon repopulate naturally? Is that feasible (I don't know what the cycle is for salmon to spawn and grow to a "fishable" size)?

It sounds (sort of) like what happened here with the clam beds. The clams were overharvested in the late 80's and early 90's and now there are no clams here - certainly not enough on which to make a living. Unfortunately, no one had the foresight to say that they should stop clamming the area until it was picked dry.

It sounds like the unfortunate winner in all of this will be the highly inferior farm raised salmon.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: No California or Oregon Salmon 2008/04/10 23:03:08
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I don't think I understand. I believe that the article said that the fisheries managers decided to stop commercial fishing for salmon. Why would they do this? Just so I understand, this is not government regulation, right?

Sure it's government. The Pacific Fishery Management Council, which made the decision, is a governmental organization. It's recommendations will not be challenged by the National Marine Fisheries Service.

One of the major problems is the virtual collapse of the Sacramento River salmon fishery as a result of dam operations, loss of habitat and runoff from agricultural pollution. But the same can be said for a number of spawing rivers and streams along the West Coast.

There'll still be some sport fishing for salmon off California and Oregon, but it will be severely limited, too. Sport fishing and commercial fishing, although restricted, will be permitted along the Washington coast.
Trask
Cheeseburger
RE: No California or Oregon Salmon 2008/04/15 13:33:50
Some heathy runs are happening too. The gov usually has a strong and widespread hammer when it decides to shut down or restrict a certain fishery. Curtailing most ocean fishing for salmon will cut the possibilities of catching those fish destined to go up the Sacramento. I've has a few micro chips taken from some salmon I've caught. I guess these chips give some good data to the fishery folks. I see they will allow us to fish the wild chinook in the bay where I live.
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: No California or Oregon Salmon 2008/04/15 14:48:23
I try to keep my doings at ROADFOOD on the lighter side, but I'm afraid this is just the tip of the iceberg (no pun intended, really).
Ron
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: No California or Oregon Salmon 2008/04/21 00:41:45