Immortal Worcestershire Sauce?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 64
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
  • Reward points : 0
Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 6:08 PM
Immortal Worcestershire Sauce?

Is Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce really immortal? What brings this to mind is a BBC Food Programme radio show from some months ago. The topic was popular brands in Britain and there was a Lea & Perrins representitive claiming that this iconic sauce will never spoil and will only get better with age even if opened and stored without refrigeration.

He claimed the only reason there is a best by date on the label is a date is legally required.

Well, I found a bottle three years out of date and plan to use it tonight. If I survive, I will tell you how it turned out. Some claims just have to be tested.

Meanwhile, what do you think of this product claim? Fact or fanciful product fiction?

No Talent
  • Total Posts : 262
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 6:19 PM
I questioned the date on some grey salt and got the same answer and told they just put on a new six month date if it doesn't sell which is fine by me.

I've opened the W sauce and put it in the pantry for such a long time (and it was fine) that I don't think another 1000 years would matter.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 6:21 PM
I have never thrown away a bottle of Lea and Perrins-I use it til its done...my parents were the same way.Guess its one of those things you never pay attention to the "use by"date...

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 6:26 PM
The L&P rep was no doubt talking about the sauce made in Worcester, England. Every batch I tried over the last 35 years tasted different from the sauce made by L&P in Fair Lawn, NJ. However, I usually use Baumer Foods' Worcestershire sauce, sold either under their own Crystal name or under a million house brands. It goes off after about 4 years from time of manufacture.

If there is sludge at the bottom of your bottle that shaking will not break up, I would say it might not be spoiled, but would change the flavor of the dish.

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 6:35 PM
My kitchen could not operate without Lea And Perrins !

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6080
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 7:16 PM
Still a favorite on steak(average cuts) and so many other dishes...Can't be without it!

drummagick
  • Total Posts : 167
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 7:37 PM
Food (sauce) of the gods. When I was little, like 4 or 5, I used to drink it straight from the bottle. ;-)

leethebard
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 7:39 PM
One of those products with anchovies I can stomach(sorry anchovey lovers!)

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 8:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by drummagick
Food (sauce) of the gods. When I was little, like 4 or 5, I used to drink it straight from the bottle.

Drummagick,
As a kid (and I was one once, not so long ago!), I used to enjoy Lea & Perrens Worcestershire "by itself" by the part-spoonful. Little wonder, I suppose, that when I became old enough, my taste in alcoholic beverages began with Ballantine India Pale Ale (in 1970, when it was held in wood for 9 months!) and progressed to Guinness Extra Stout ... first in the bottle and later (when it became available here) on draught.
Even now, I generally do not use any other Worcestershire, even when provided by a restaurant... I carry a bottle of Lea & Perrens in my van (!!), and it only seems to become better as it ages through a normal scorchy Georgia Summertime.
Gotta hand it to those Lea & Perrens folks... their sauce is so good it's not only immortal, it borders on the immoral.
Enjoying Being A Bit Of A Saucerer, Ort. Carlton in Bibbidy-Bobbidy-Boo Athens, Georgia.

DougS
  • Total Posts : 475
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Thu, 04/24/08 9:34 PM
Can a BBQ sauce be any good without the addition of a little Lea & Perrins?
Shake it on most all grilling meats. Habit or love?

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 5:57 AM
I too have been known to put some in a spoon and drink it straight. Good stuff.

douginvirginia
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 8:11 AM
Several years ago L&P USA altered the recipe and switched to high fructose corn syrup. They may have also change the vinegar as well.

I now only use the British L&P. Since it lasts virtually forever, I get friends who go there on business to buy me several bottles at a time. Far superior to the USA stuff.

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1931
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 8:30 AM
Thank for the tip on the British L&P. I wonder if it's available at a European market locally.

Does the British version contain high-fructose corn syrup?

Frankman
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 8:46 AM
Greyghost? Did you survive? Uh oh.
Friends. we are gathered here today on this solemn occasion...

douginvirginia
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 10:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MellowRoast

Thank for the tip on the British L&P. I wonder if it's available at a European market locally.

Does the British version contain high-fructose corn syrup?

UK L&P ingredients:
Malt Vinegar (from Barley)
Spirit Vinegar
Molasses
Sugar
Salt
Anchovies
Tamarind Extract
Onions
Garlic
Spice
Flavouring

I no longer have a US bottle to compare with, but remember comparing them about 3 years ago when I was made aware of the US version change, and there were considerable differences.

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 10:45 AM
US Ingredients listed on bottle purchased in the last couple of months:

Vinegar
Molasses
HFCS
Anchovies
Water
Onions
Salt
Garlic
Tamarind Concentrate
Cloves
Natural Flavorings
Chili Pepper Extract

I can find no "use by" date on my 20 oz bottle.
I am going out on a limb here- but I use about two (2) bottles a year or more- so, it wouldn't need an expiration date for me anyway!

waiterhell
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 10:49 AM
Lea and Perrins were 'chemists' (pharmacists) during the British occupation of India and found a returning serviceman with the original recipe.

They lost interest for a few years, allowing the WORCHETERSHIRE sauce time to ferment(?)/age in a cask......it's not a happy story.

They bought the original recipe for pretty much nothing and built an industry.....

Come to think of it, it DOES seem like a brewed almost soy sauce taste.......

MellowRoast
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 12:22 PM
Thanks! I'll check the European Market and an Englis tea room here. I'll have to get my hands on the British version!

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 3:01 PM
My favorite thing in a Bloody Mary! Heck, I put it in to my V-8!

syrupy08
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 3:59 PM
Has anyone tried Jamaican Pickapepper Sauce? It's kind of like Worcestershire but spicier.

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 4:23 PM
I don't see a use by date on my bottle either and I bought this new bottle 2 weeks ago. Where's the expiration date?

MellowRoast
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 4:24 PM
Yes, Lea & Perrins is my all-purpose ingredient, but Pickapeppa is quite good!

MellowRoast
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 4:36 PM
Well, this is the only source in the USA I've found so far:

http://www.britishfoodshop.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=150

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1136
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 5:13 PM
You mean there are other brands of Worcestshire sauce besides L&P? I love it, and use it to the last drop.

I wish L&P would make a travel sized bottle like the mini Tabasco bottles. I like it it on roast beef poor boys, and unless some sandwich shops have a bar attached, they won't carry L&P.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 5:41 PM
I was a food buyer for an upscale grocery store, and as the owners wife was British, I could only order the stuff from England.I bought it through Skandia foods, and unfortunately if your store doesnt use them as a supplier,you will get the "American"version. I suggest checking out World Market, if there is one in your area.They have alot of imported British food.(I still have my bottle from 2 years ago-from England)

Greyghost
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 7:55 PM
Hello, I'm alive after my out of date L&P experiment. I loved my dinner which was saturated in it (liver if you want to know). The responses so far are wonderful and quite informative.

Where is the date on the bottle? On mine it was at the very bottom of the back label and one might need a magnifying glass to see it. Mine said "Best By 05/08/05". The date did not matter, the product was just fine.

I am fascinated by the difference in the UK and US versions. Of course, I now want the UK one. Why should we in the US get an adulterated, watered down product? Well, I looked into it Seems Lea & Perrins is owned by Heinz. Explains a lot.

There is one way to get to the bottom of it. Last time I looked Lea & Perrins still held the Queens Royal Warrant. I suspect only the UK versions hold the Royal Warrant as I saw no such indication on the US version. If they had it they would brag about it.

I reckon one way to get to the bottom of it is to contact the Queen. This is how you do it:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page249.asp#1

drummagick
  • Total Posts : 167
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 04/25/08 9:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by syrupy08

Has anyone tried Jamaican Pickapepper Sauce? It's kind of like Worcestershire but spicier.

I go through Pickapeppa bottles faster than L&P, but I use it like ketchup.

I bought a bottle of non-L&P worcestershire once, used it once and threw the rest away. Nothing compares to the original!

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 04/27/08 5:58 PM
I have a 50-page Lea & Perrins recipe booklet printed in 1934. This little "notice to husbands" is stuck in the middle of the canape recipes.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 04/27/08 6:38 PM
The first time I ever tried L&P was when I was 6 or so - circa 1954, before they put "CYA" expiration dates and "refridgerate after opening" notices on the labels. There was this old dusty bottle of it in the pantry that my mother had opened and used once for cooking a long time before. Against her better judgment I was allowed to taste it before she was going to throw it away. I put it on my burger patty and was in heaven! She threw that bottle away, but bought a fresh one on the next trip to the A&P. Ever since, there has always been "fresh" L&P in both my pantry and fridge.

And, I don't care how good the steak is or how snooty the restaurant I always request it. It amuses me that the finer joints serve in in a small ramekin with a demitasse spoon!

(My goodness, I had almost forgotten A&P: The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company - once the largest grocer in the U.S. but hardly remembered by anyone under 40 today).

essvee
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 04/27/08 6:48 PM
Ort, how well I remember that Ballantine IPA, with the clipper ships on the cardboard containers. An American microbrew long before the advent of such. One of the most refreshing beers of all time.

essvee
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 04/27/08 6:54 PM
syrupy, I truly love Pickapeppa Sauce. Haven't seen it around for awhile.

Here's an American Brewer article on the late great Ballantine IPA.

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 04/27/08 7:27 PM
Man, I love the stuff!
I use it to marinate in but only use it as a condiment when having Bloody Marys. I didn't see any expiration date on the bottle either. I usually use up a 20 oz. bottle in about two or three months anyway.

David O.

MellowRoast
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 04/27/08 7:41 PM
RubyRose, that recipe book is a scream. I may just buy some Davidson's Pasteurized Eggs and try that.

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 04/27/08 11:26 PM
I found the date, it says "best by 1/22/2010 so I guess never does "expire".

syrupy08
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Mon, 04/28/08 3:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by essvee

syrupy, I truly love Pickapeppa Sauce. Haven't seen it around for awhile.

Here's an American Brewer article on the late great Ballantine IPA.

Try Wal Mart, if there's a Super Center, (one with a grocery store) near you.

Greyghost
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Mon, 04/28/08 6:31 PM
I am beginning to think L&P is immortal, no matter what version you have. I have been using this old bottle more and have come to some conclusions. Does it get better with age? I think it actually does. Yesterday, I made a casserole dish with cheddar cheese, beef and pasta and added a good dose of the L&P, it made all the difference in the dish. Like an aged wine it added old and mellow notes while blending the flavors. It was just the right thing.

Today I bought a new bottle and tasted both straight. The new was good, but the old was better. It was like drinking fine aged wine versus drinking it before it was properly aged.

I wonder how long it will take before very old bottles of Lea & Perrins show up on ebay once people find this out.

MellowRoast
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Wed, 05/21/08 12:35 PM
Update: I contacted an English tea room here, and was excited to learn they sell the UK version of Lea & Perrins in their gift shop.

If you have an authentic English tea room in your area, call them! They may stock it.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15061
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 05/31/08 11:50 AM

In the July 2008 issue of Consumer Reports...on the page that is dedicated to "odd" advertising claims by various industries/brands, is a comment that L & P Worcestershire Sauce claims to be using an unmodified recipe for the same sauce for the past 170 years. No memtion of different ingredients for U S vs British versions of the sauce...AND no mention of the inclusion of HFCS in the early 1970's to the recipe. I thought the comments were timely to this discussion.

leethebard
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 05/31/08 12:24 PM
So much for truth in advertising!!

MellowRoast
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 05/31/08 1:00 PM
Yes, that happens routinely, and it's infuriating. No wonder consumers are skeptical of advertising claims and new products. And we should be.

CLVdog
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 05/31/08 2:01 PM
Expiration dates remind me of an almost used up bottle of Crystal Hot Sauce that I inherited from my Bro-in-Law when they moved out of state in the late 90s - It has no use by date and doesn't have a UPC on it either.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9546
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 05/31/08 2:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CLVdog

Expiration dates remind me of an almost used up bottle of Crystal Hot Sauce that I inherited from my Bro-in-Law when they moved out of state in the late 90s - It has no use by date and doesn't have a UPC on it either.

You can save Crystal till you go to your grave. It will discolor and loose some potency but is usable. Usually, A bottle doesn't last long around my house!

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 05/31/08 3:01 PM
essvee ...

How come your post count is zero (at least that is the way it is displaying on all of your posts on my computer.

Maybe a moderator can solve the puzzle.

mayor al
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 05/31/08 4:00 PM

Heck if I know??

CLVdog
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 06/1/08 1:48 AM
It
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by CLVdog

It has taken up a slightly brown hue over time. Between Sriraca, Tabasco,assorted Torguga and Melindas among others incurrently in my fridge I almost revere the stuff as it (Crystal) has the best taste.

You can save Crystal till you go to your grave. It will discolor and loose some potency but is usable. Usually, A bottle doesn't last long around my house!

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 06/1/08 7:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

essvee ...

How come your post count is zero (at least that is the way it is displaying on all of your posts on my computer.

Maybe a moderator can solve the puzzle.

Because she/he wants to stay a Junior Burger?

I've been wondering, too.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 06/1/08 7:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

I have a 50-page Lea & Perrins recipe booklet printed in 1934. This little "notice to husbands" is stuck in the middle of the canape recipes.

I just have to have that booklet. I was sold when I read the suggestion to add Lea & Perrins to your breakfast glass of sauerkraut juice.

I found several for sale on Amazon.com

mayor al
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 06/1/08 10:14 AM

Fun to read the raw egg recommendation with no headline warning with it!

Wannabchef
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 06/1/08 10:41 AM
This was taken from the lea&perrins website under FAQ:

Q. Can I use Lea & Perrins® products / sauces after the expiration date?
A. Lea & Perrins® sauces won’t spoil after the expiration date due to the high vinegar content. However, the taste quality will lessen if used after the expiration date.

Q. Can I use Lea & Perrins® products / sauces out of the refrigerator?
A. Lea & Perrins® sauces can be used out of the refrigerator and has a standard shelf life of 24 months. But refrigeration helps to preserve the flavor and the shelf life even longer.

Q. Do you need to refrigerate the product?
A. Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire Sauce doesn’t need to be refrigerated, but refrigeration does help to preserve the flavor and shelf life of the product.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sun, 06/1/08 10:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

I just have to have that booklet. I was sold when I read the suggestion to add Lea & Perrins to your breakfast glass of sauerkraut juice.

I found several for sale on Amazon.com

It actually has some pretty interesting recipes, although the quantities of WS are somewhat heavy-handed. That's not unusual since most manufacturer recipe booklets are designed to make the reader use as much of the product as possible.

If you do buy it, try the Royal Chicken Sandwich. It's buttered toast topped with sliced chicken and tomato, then covered with a mixture of shredded cheese mixed with WS sauce and broiled until the cheese is browned. I used cheddar instead of American cheese.

ddamond
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Fri, 08/1/08 2:39 AM
I started reading all of the answers to this questioned and wanted to add my 2 cents.
I have been using the same bottle since 1996(French's).
I too had heard that it never goes bad and only improves with age.
As far as I'm concered the truth is that I haven't died yet and it has always performed wonderfully for me.
I'm not one to use it often.
The taste is what it should be even after all of these years. It's like a fine wine improving with age.
Debra

MellowRoast
Re:Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 12/27/08 2:49 PM
Finally got my hands on a British bottle of Lea & Perrins.  Tested it on some char-grilled beef tips and in some homemade salad dressing.  Absolutely delicious, and I'm a convert. 

I ordered 2 bottles, but I now know I'll be ordering more:

http://www.britishfoodshop.com/
Good merchant, excellent service.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 12/27/08 3:04 PM
http://www.leaperrins.com/lea-perrins-faq.aspx As you can see by clicking on the link, which is Lea and Perrin's official web site URL, they were acquired by Heinz. Many Republicans are vexed.

Possibly someone offers tamarind seed so we can make our own? Yahoo Shopping does, I know for a fact.
<message edited by Big Ugly Mich on Sat, 12/27/08 3:06 PM>

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 12/27/08 3:45 PM
Lea & Perrins W sauce is an essential ingredient in my kithchen. I've always kept it in the fridge and although, it may take me a year to use a whole bottle, the last bit's always as good as when I first opened it.

Funny, but I never bothered to look for an expiration date on the bottle. However, my curiosity now piqued, I'll have a look when I get home today.

I know honey is good forever and, I have not seen any expiration dates on the jars.

Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 788
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 12/27/08 4:03 PM
I prefer the British version, when I can get it. sometimes specialty shops have it. I think I'll try Wegmans British aisle.

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 12/27/08 4:22 PM
L&P has been the standard that I've used for my BBQ sacuce and in my meatloaf. Any of the other brands including store brands have never even remotely tasted similar or gave the same taste to my sauce. Over the years, I've made a point to try any new or unknown WS that appears on the local shelves. About a year or two ago, Publix markets started carrying a house brand that was vastly better then any other brand besides L&P. It's not a clone of L&P by any measure, but nonetheless the only WS that I would even consider using otherwise. Every so often you find a house brand that surprises. This was one of those.

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1496
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 12/27/08 4:43 PM
Even though my parents were friends of Russ French (mostly of mustard fame, but also made a good WS), I can't imagine making my holiday spicy Chex mix with anything else.  People always ask me what my secret ingredients are.  (other than Cayenne pepper, it's to use a lot of L&P and a lot of butter).

French's WS is pretty good for sauces and marinades, though

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 12/27/08 4:47 PM
Hi Dawn,
Say would you mind giving us the manufacturing code numbers on that Publix Worcestershire Sauce? My favorite brand is Baumer Foods' sold under a million house brand names as well as Crystal. Their code numbers are usually arranged two high and look something like:
1004 A

The "A" is often a "B".
I think there are only four or five companies that produce for supermarket chains.

Greyghost
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 12/27/08 5:13 PM
I saw French's Worcestershire mentioned here and I think that is one sauce which may very well be immortal. I would have no problem using the original bottle produced from the factory, due to the heavy salt content. I think it would be safe a thousand years from now. That is not to say it would be good or ever was.

When I was young we lived not too far from #1 Mustard Street in Rochester, NY.
French's products were cheap, plus they were very local, so that was the brand we bought. I actually still like the mustard. The Worcestershire though...never!

For Worcestershire it is still L&P for me. The one and only and I do not care if Heinz owns it. Heinz is a very iconic brand in Britain with a long reputation and I doubt they would do anything drastic to impair that established relationship.

sunnyside up
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Immortal Worcestershire Sauce? - Sat, 12/27/08 5:19 PM
I have it on my scrambled eggs every morning. Goes great over the sausage links and home fries too. Mop up the remains with a slice of toast and the meal is complete!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 64