Hors d' oeurve

Fire Safety Admin
2008/05/06 09:22:07
When I have the opportunity to do neater restaurants I always enjoy the Hors d' oeruve. I have found some to be more interesting than what they offer on the menu and in fact, sometimes, I just order them with some cocktails.

I am interested in what some of you have found that are different besides the usual chicken and etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hors_d'%C5%93uvre

I am taking Iwannago and Mamaw Smith tonight at the Crown and Goose in Knoxville which was voted #1 restaurant in Knoxville and Best new restaurant tonight for a birthday and Mothers day dinner. They have very interesting small menu thoughts.

Your thoughts??

http://www.thecrownandgoose.com/menu_dinner.html

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Wannabchef
Cheeseburger
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 09:32:18
They all sound delish.....especially the cheese boards. I have been a big fan of tapas for a few years now. It's much more fun to try different items. They are lucky to have you take them. Have fun!
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 09:34:28
The small plates look great. Pair that with a cheese board for a great meal.
Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 09:42:39
Sundancer,
That menu looks great! I love the idea of having little plates as your meal. There are only so many bites your palate can take before the food seems .....not as appealing anymore. I feel your first bite is the best and the more you eat the last say 25th bite is just "getting the meal" finished. Sometimes when on vacation We'll sit at the bar with drinks and order just apps, it's especially entertaining when you can see the kitchen and all the chefs putting out that nights service.
Gotta love a menu that has deviled eggs! So simple but so delicious!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 11:46:01
I love "tasting menus" of a series of small plates. One of my favorite places for this was Norman's in Coral Gables, sadly now closed. The executive chef was Norman Van Aken, formally of Mano in South Beach, and Louie's Back Yard in Key West. Here is the menu from one of his restaurants:

http://www.normans.com/menus/
fabulousoyster
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 13:45:18
I like the Welsh Rabbit and the Shepards Pie.
Jennifer_4
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 14:02:58
great choice, Sundancer... if that restaurant were near me, I'd go there all the time.. I too prefer small bites over big meals..variety is the spice of my life..
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 15:11:10
Neat menu! Those cheese boards make me think that more restaurants should offer some kind of sampler option.
Joe
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 16:50:58
Have a great meal! I would be tempted to order the duck confit.......just to see if they did it properly! But, yes, we find ourselves too overwhelmed by a full entree (the portion sizes have to STOP!) and usually order 2 appetizers and split them and that fills us.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 17:24:47
I agree Lee! The sizes are way to big. Two appetizers for two people and your both full. It should be that you both still have room for dinner.
Joe
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/06 17:48:13
You have chosen a wonderful restaurant for appetizers-I would have trouble choosing!!
stricken_detective
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/07 00:25:32
Everything looks great but particularly the deviled eggs & the cheese & tomato soup & mini grilled cheese.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/10 07:59:52
As usual Paul I'm a day late and a dollar short. Hope y'all had a nice evening and lovely dinner. From looking at the menu that should heve been easy. BTW, that Irish Whiskey Marinated Dublin Steak Sandwich has my name all over it.
AndreaB
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/10 08:49:02
I would go for the English cheese board or the San Marzano Tomato and Stilton Bisque --- but heck the mussels look good too. Wish we had something like that around here!

Andrea
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/10 10:46:11
The Guinness Stout fried onion wedges with red pepper remoulade sauce, and the blue crab stuffed hard boiled eggs sound delightful. Hope you have a special day, and don't forget to come back here, and tell us how it went.

Edited to correct spelling of remoulade
magcentric
Hamburger
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/10 12:26:05
This place is a bit of a drive from Knoxville, TN but the Scotch Eggs at the Water Street Brewery in Milwaukee, WI make a mighty nice hors d' oeurve. Hard boiled eggs wrapped in pork sausage, deep fried and served with German mustard, would probably make a good
breakfast also.

1101 N. Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202
(414) 272-1195

Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/10 12:53:00
Paul, How did you and your guests enjoy this restaurant and what did you have to eat?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/10 14:16:54
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

Paul, How did you and your guests enjoy this restaurant and what did you have to eat?

We got the ploughmans cheese plate, fish and chips, prime rib, halibut and the dessert sampler with lotsa libation.

The food was outstanding and the setting was very very nice.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Russ Jackson
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/10 21:46:07
I was at Mychael Symons place called Lolita's the other night in Cleveland and the appetizers were excellent. My wife and I shared the Mussels and Warm Olive plate. If you get to Cleveland this place is a must. Dont miss his special drinks either the Ginger Martini was a 10. On tuesdays he cooks an entire pig in a La Caja China box.

http://www.lolabistro.com/

...Russ
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/10 23:26:14
There are a couple restaurants here in this area that have "small plate", appetizer, tapas type of menus..
City Bar is part of Divine Dining Group, which has quite a few different type restaurants in the area..

http://www.citybarrestaurant.com/tapas.html

I have heard great things about Sea Blue..They are in North Myrtle Beach...

http://www.seablueonline.com/

http://www.seablueonline.com/cuisine

I am a big fan of ordering several different appetizers, as a meal can be too much for me. I have terrible eating habits since I work so much, and cannot sit for any length of time at work so I end up just nibbling most of the day.
I cant handle a large amount of food at one sitting.
My fridge is usually full of take out (leftover) containers.
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/28 15:56:05
Looks like a great menu1 What is the side bubble and squeek I wonder??
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/05/28 17:40:03
Pardon my French but I have to call them appetizers because my mental interpretation in French always comes out whores to order or horse ovaries.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/06/05 15:58:44
quote:
Originally posted by blue heaven

Looks like a great menu1 What is the side bubble and squeek I wonder??

I do think its just leftover meat and veggies fried together in a pan.......
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hors d' oeurve 2008/06/20 14:05:45
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

We got the ploughmans cheese plate, fish and chips, prime rib, halibut and the dessert sampler with lotsa libation.

The food was outstanding and the setting was very very nice.

Paul E. Smith

Thanks for the post. The menu looks outstanding and I'm anxious to give it a try.
Knoxville, TN