Anyone remember BBQ in a can?

Sirloin
2008/05/06 13:07:09
I grew up in the 50s eating Ireland's canned BBQ. My mom served it over toast. I loved the stuff. Looks like it went off the market back in the 60's. Anyone remember it?
Joe
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 13:24:57
No, but I remember Casteleberry selling BBQ Pork in a can. I saw it as recently as a couple of years ago around here. It actually wasn't that bad either. We'd take it on fishing trips and add plenty of hot sauce to make it better though.

Dennis in Cary
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 13:42:02
I think Casteleberry still makes that stuff? I have had it but wasn't a fan.

The Ireland's was beef and I think it was brisket? It was in sauce, thin sliced, and had a great flavor.
Joe
marky
Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 13:58:43
bar b que in a can id rather have alpo
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 14:05:10
I have never talked with anyone who tried Ireland's and didn't love it. Not that I have met more than a few folks who ever tried it. I think it may have been marketed mostly in Texas?

Hmmm, Alpo... I haven't tried that.
Joe
juleebella
Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 14:17:58
Castleberry was making it until last summer. This must have been a bigger story here since the plant is in August, GA.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/latest/lat_080707_0807Castleberry.shtml

Last time I looked it still wasn't back on the shelves.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 14:33:04
Thanks Julee. There were some posts here about the Castleberry recal. I didn't remember the details. Makes me wonder more why Ireland's went off the market. I would love to know.

Oh, I think Alpo also had a recall?
Joe
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 16:17:28
Smithfield used to make pork barbecue in a can, and we loved it. Anyone know if they still make it?
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 16:30:52
Complements of Google: http://www.tecnika.com.ar/equipment/catpg_80.htm Strikes me that this is for wholesale, though. I don't see why you couldn't do pulled pork or beef, or even chicken, in a can.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 16:58:43
Wow, thanks Mitch! I can only hope that Vanee maybe took over the Ireland's recipe. It could be the case?

Chef, I think Smithfield may still be on the market? Try a google.
Joe
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 17:12:50
I seem to remember some sort of canned spare ribs back in the early 60 s
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 17:16:19
Canned ribs... I want some! Can you dig em up Phil?
Joe
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 17:25:24
Long extinct, I'm afraid. I seem to remember one of the major packing houses put them out in a fairly large can, but i remember little else.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/06 17:48:42
Phil, I did a fast Google and I think you are right... they are long gone. What opportunities we have here!
Joe
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/07 12:14:10
quote:
Originally posted by shortchef

Smithfield used to make pork barbecue in a can, and we loved it. Anyone know if they still make it?

They sell it in plastic tubs. You can find it in most supermarkets here abouts. Or order it online:

http://www.smithfieldhams.com/product/97/12

http://www.vabest.com/catalog/10680030.html

CB
rjb
Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/07 12:36:00
I recall Poss' Pit-Cooked Barbecue in a can years ago. I believe it was related to Poss' of Athens GA.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/07 12:38:27
Thanks William! That Carolina BBQ on the 2nd link sounds good.

They sell several brands of small tubs at the stores around here. Curley's and Sadlers are two I can think of. Both make pork and also beef. They are in the cold food section. None is anything like the canned Ireland's Q.

My quest now is to find out why the Ireland's brand went off the market.
Joe

Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/09 11:11:40
Dee Ann Odom, the daughter of the man who ran the Ireland's Chili and BBQ empire out of Wichita Falls has a family restaurant (Odom's Old Town Smokehouse BBQ) in Burleson, TX, where she cooks all of her Dad's old recipes. The website says that Ireland's sold out to Ranch Style Beans of Fort Worth. Looks like a very roadfood-worthy place to dine.

http://localbizalliance.com/oldtown/oldtown.html
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/09 11:27:19
Wow, thanks for this info Tom! I knew about Ireland's BBQ in Wichita Falls but could not find a web site.

Maybe the Ranch Style folks bought the Ireland's canned Q and then stoped making it?
Joe
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/09 11:51:28
I don't know but that would seem to be a safe guess. I'm sure Dee Ann or Delbert Odom would be happy to give you the story straight from the horse's mouth. 817-447-ODOM - (6366)
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/09 14:03:41
Thanks again Tom!

I bet they make some great BBQ. I will find out on my next trip through Burleson. And I will give them a call.

ConAgra now owns Ranch Style Beans. Not sure when they aquired it?
Joe
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/09 14:29:09
Joe, I think we need to get into the canned rib business. We'll make a killin.

Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/10 12:39:14
Rjb, I never saw the Poss Q. I wonder when they stoped making it?

Your right Joe! Hmm, pork or beef ribs? Boneless or bone in? We can call them Joe's Ribs!

I will wait to call the Odom's till next week. I hate to bother them on the week end.
Joe
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/10 19:04:15
Thank you, Williamsburger, for the info. I am going to order some BBQ today!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/22 13:09:21
First time near my PC since... 12 days or so. I hate when that happens!

I have still not made the call but it's on my list for today. About 1:30, after the lunch rush might be good?

Speaking of the plastic tubs Curley's is on sale around here right now. It is way to sweet for my tasts but, if I heat it in some non sweet BBQ sauce, it gets... hmmm, not so bad.
Joe
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/05/22 13:19:04
I thought you were away doing research on our canned rib business. Or the BBQ sauce with pickeled jalapeno juice.

Good to hear from ya.

Joe
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/06/21 18:01:10
We have used a couple of canned BBQ products Made by BLOEMER'S Food Sales in Louisville. They do "Shredded Beef w/BBQ Sauce" and Shredded Pork w/BBQ Sauce". A 15 oz can was on sale this week for $1.99 at our local market. This out fit has been around for close to 100 years. The meeat isn't bad at all- remembering that it is a canned product. It taste much better than any canned 'Manwich' product I have sampled.
Check out the web-site at www.bloemerfoods.com

We opened the can we purchased this week. The shredded Beef in BBQ sauce reminded me of the typical Cincinnati-style chili sauce with meat in it. It has a definite cinnamon flavor that comes thru over any pepper or meat flavor. I had forgotten about the 'regional connection!!'
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/06/21 18:16:12
Lloyd's BBQ - several styles and meats in 1# tubs - is readily available in the refrigerated section in groceries. I have seen it in both VA and TX. COSTCO's in NOVA sell Smithfield pork BBQ that is pretty decent.

Canned BBQ probably tastes decent when heated and served. I just wouldn't want to be the one who had to open the can and glop it out into a pan. I think that procedure would ruin my appetite for it.
No Talent
Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/06/21 19:44:38
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

Lloyd's BBQ

I've seen that for years and, I believe I never tried it because meat was not the main ingredient so I figured it was a tub of sauce.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/06/22 07:37:07
When I was very young like 60 years ago, I recall my dad buying a canned BBQ that had a packet of sauce in the can which you had to add to the meat product as it cooked.

I do not recall the name but I do recall it was very tasty but then, back then I guess I enjoyed about everything.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/06/22 12:22:45
Hmmm Paul, I never had that brand. I wonder what it was called? There is no info on the net about it, that I know of.
Joe
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2008/06/22 14:16:36
Castleberry's products were back on the shelves last fall, according to the company's website.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2009/03/04 15:34:30
Thanks to Treetop Tom for the contact info back on P1, I was able to talk with Delbert Odam at Odom's Old Town Smokehouse BBQ in Burleson Texas.

Delbert was nice enough to talk with me about Ireland's. It was his wife Dee Ann's family, from Wichita Falls, that developed Ireland's BBQ and Chili. They sold out to Great Western Foods, that developed Ranch Style Beans. Great western was later bought out by Con-Agra.

Delbert said that the name of the canned products was changed to Red River. This was sold in #10 cans to the food industry. I can not find where it is still sold. What a shame! Anyone remember Red River?

Delbert remembered the canned Ireland's BBQ and agreed with me that it was great stuff. As a kid my mom would serve it to me over toast. It was one of my favorite meals.

There is a link about Odom's Old Town Smokehouse BBQ back on P1 of this thread. Sounds like a Roadfood BBQ kinda place! I will sure be making a stop there next time I am in the Burleson area.
Joe

John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2009/03/04 17:16:36
Dang it PapaJoe, track that stuff down.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2009/03/04 18:07:30
I will John. I had just emailed ConAgra. Lets see what they have to say.
Joe
dannydontgoin237
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone remember BBQ in a can? 2013/02/22 10:01:11
I know I'm late in the game here but I just found this thread.  While I would prefer freshly made pulled pork BBQ, I also have a soft spot for canned BBQ.  My favorite thing to get at the drive-in while growing up was a pork barbecue sandwich.  Sweet, salty, so rich and sticky!  Made a huge mess, but so delicious.  No doubt that was the canned stuff.