Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's

doug_ua
  • Total Posts : 94
  • Reward points : 0
Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Tue, 05/13/08 9:25 AM
Got to tell you...when we don't want to cook, the Perdue Rotisserie chickens at BJ's are a great substitute...they are $5.49 by me, and my wife and I had a filling dinner eating the legs, wings, and thighs, along with wild rice, and some green beans. With the leftover breasts, I have enough for 2-3 generous portions of homemade chicken salad for lunch. Living near NY and getting two dinners and 2-3 lunches out of a $5.49 chicken, is quite amazing. These chickens are about twice as large as the ones in the supermarkets, and cooked to perfection. Plus, you know you are getting quality with Perdue. Fortunately, we live close enough to BJ's, where we can go there as often as running to the Grocery store...more to say on that in the appropriate forum...

LindaW
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Tue, 05/13/08 2:48 PM
Doug,
I've gotten the chickens at Sam's and I agree that they are a great value, but I wonder if they are also Purdue...and if they are, are they the Tender and Tasty line that Sam's club (don't know about BJ's) sells. The reason I am questioning is that the Tender and Tasty line adds a significant amount of salted solution to bulk up the bird...take a look at the label on the fresh chicken and it will tell you how much solution was added...I found that at the SuperWalmarts, virtually all the meat had more than the 3% water that I see at Price Chopper or at Hannaford's...with the exception of the Smithfield Pork products...they too have a lot of salty water added.

Trying to watch salt intake as well as a buck and don't want to spend on solution injected foods when I can get them without and then season to my liking..

Just my take on it all.
Linda

namret
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Mon, 05/19/08 11:43 AM
Don't like the flavor of Perdue chickens. Usually place last in taste tests including Consumer Reports ratings.

firecommander3565
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Mon, 05/19/08 11:49 AM
The best rotisserie chicakeen I've ever eaten was at Costco. $4.99 and you get a bird the size of a Turkey; juicy and tasty too!!

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Mon, 05/19/08 12:17 PM
what are BJ'S?

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7609
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Mon, 05/19/08 12:25 PM
Thank you, Bill.

I've been trying to figure out what BJ's stands for for days.

I'm guessing it's just BJ's.

hutt
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Mon, 05/19/08 12:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by namret

Don't like the flavor of Perdue chickens. Usually place last in taste tests including Consumer Reports ratings.

Hmmm. I'm very surprised to see this, are you able to say which month/year issue that Consumer Reports says that? I must have missed that? (I have all my back issues for the last 15 years or so.)
Thanks-

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2163
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Tue, 05/20/08 3:25 AM
BJ's Wholesale Clubs was started by the then Zayre Corporation. BJ's official explanation is that it stands for Beverly Jean, the daughter of one of the founders.

Guilty One
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Tue, 05/20/08 3:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

what are BJ'S?

It's the San Francisco International Airport inbound waiting room five minutes away at The Shops at Tanforan Park Mall at I-380 and El Camino Real in San Bruno, Ca.

Saddle up, http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Tue, 05/20/08 5:19 AM
I'll echo a nod for Costco's chicken...they're very large and VERY tasty..and only $4.99! I wonder if they're the salted Perdue you've mentioned? We also make soup with the leftovers and bones.

LindaW
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Tue, 05/20/08 8:45 AM
I'm sure if you ask the folks at Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's they would tell you what brand of chickens they use, and then ask them if they are the same as what is in the display cases...if so, then you can read the labels and determine if they are the ones injected with "solution".

And yes, they are tasty and tender....but I hate when paying (especially) for raw meats...to pay for ones that contain more than 3 -5% solution injected....yes, they are cheaper per lb....but you end up paying probably close to the same amt in the long run if you were to go truly lb per lb...also, I want to monitor the sodium intake. There are other ways of getting flavor and tenderness out of fresh meats...and I want the ability to make the choice.

doug_ua
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Tue, 05/20/08 9:19 AM
BJ's is for Berkeley and Jensen - at least I assume that considering that thsi brand is see throughout the store...

Lexi
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Tue, 05/20/08 9:31 AM
I buy one or two chickens everytime I go to Sam's. There are an average of 3 lbs (although I've been able to find them at 3.25 or even 3.5) at a price of $4.97. I always have one on hand in the fridge so my teenagers can 'pick' (remember that old Perdue commercial?) after school. I was planning on making curried chicken salad this evening with my current leftovers, as a matter of fact!

Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Tue, 05/20/08 9:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by doug_ua

BJ's is for Berkeley and Jensen - at least I assume that considering that thsi brand is see throughout the store...

Berkeley and Jensen is a house brand that BJ's coined in order to sound...elegant, perhaps. This is similar to Macy's naming of some of their clothing brands, such as Loft and Brownstone (urban chic?) and Alfani (classy Italian style??). Unfortunately, since both brands tend to made in China or other low-cost countries, the names are simply a marketing ploy, as is Berkeley and Jensen. But, it does sound a bit more classy than the unfortunate name of BJ's, doesn't it?

Having held memberships in both BJ's and Costco for a couple of years, I quickly learned the differences between the two discounters. If I wanted a HUGE bag of potato chips or an incredible selection of convenience/junk foods, BJ's was the place to go. If I wanted excellent quality products of a more gourmet nature, Costco was the winner, hands down.

On electronic goods, I consistently found Costco to be cheaper by a significant margin. Regarding tires, it was difficult to compare on a level playing field, as BJ's tended to carry lower quality tires than Costco. The prices may have been lower, but so was the quality.

The only area where I found BJ's to excel was in their selection of cheeses. While Costco has a good cheese selection, BJ's has a really large selection of cheeses.

So, I am glad to hear that BJ's has added rotisserie chickens to their offerings, but it does appear that Costco is still cheaper on this item, as with most others. After 2 years, I allowed my BJ's membership to lapse, due to their pricing and their merchandise quality, as compared to Costco.

Navy_Brat913
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: Perdue Rotisserie Chicken's at BJ's - Thu, 06/19/08 3:48 AM
Most grocery and clubs sell the Perdue chickens. Just be wise and order from the meat section, I have worked for a few grocery stores, and the rotisserie chicken near the checkouts are yesterdays chicken, which was chilled overnight and reheated. Not bad, but will be dryer. If you have a home rotisserie as I do, it will be better than mass produced, but if you are pressed for time and/or don't have a tabletop rotisserie, these chickens are a great deal.