bacon wrapped filets

baileysoriginal
  • Total Posts : 758
  • Reward points : 0
bacon wrapped filets - Thu, 05/29/08 8:43 PM
Okay kids - how would you grill a bacon wrapped filet to get the end result of the filet being medium rare and the bacon beingompletely cooked - not crispy, but cooked?

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
RE: bacon wrapped filets - Thu, 05/29/08 9:09 PM
Take the bacon off and cook it separately. Retie the filet with butchers twine and cook to order. The bacon is usually there to keep the top part of the filet from falling apart anyway. Totally superfluous in my opinion.

David O.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
RE: bacon wrapped filets - Thu, 05/29/08 9:19 PM
The bacon is just there to add fat to the filet, giving it some flavor. Get rid of it before serving if you don't want to eat it.

Ciaoman
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: bacon wrapped filets - Thu, 05/29/08 10:04 PM
"The bacon is just there to add fat to the filet, giving it some flavor." True. Filet is tender but lacking in flavor. Why not opt for a more flavorful cut (NY Strip, Ribeye, Porterhouse?) Bacon not needed.

Frankman
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: bacon wrapped filets - Thu, 05/29/08 10:59 PM
Cook the filet to rare and then roll it on its side and cook the bacon. You should get some flames so pay attention and dont overcook. I love a nice smokey bacon and I love a nice filet, but for some reason I never cared for a bacon wrapped filet.

baileysoriginal
  • Total Posts : 758
RE: bacon wrapped filets - Thu, 05/29/08 11:31 PM
I grilled two tonight - thanks to all for the input -

I seared both sides and then rolled the bacon sides over until they were cooked - and yes, I did have to babysit them with all the flare-ups, but I got them under control and they were still medium - not rare, like I like a steak but they were okay.

It was fun to try something different but I think I'll stick to T -Bones and Ribeyes - I can't go wromg woth them.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4729
RE: bacon wrapped filets - Fri, 05/30/08 8:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

Take the bacon off and cook it separately. Retie the filet with butchers twine and cook to order.

I picked up this trick from an episode of America's Test Kitchen. Now when I use bacon I'm likely to partially cook it in the microwave first before using it in a recipe where the cooking time isn't very long (steaks and burgers, for example).

Brad

tommyeats
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: bacon wrapped filets - Fri, 05/30/08 8:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

"The bacon is just there to add fat to the filet, giving it some flavor." True. Filet is tender but lacking in flavor. Why not opt for a more flavorful cut (NY Strip, Ribeye, Porterhouse?) Bacon not needed.

at the risk of stating the obvious, one answer, i would think, is that some people like the texture and flavor of filet, and like it with bacon.

swvadon
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: bacon wrapped filets - Sun, 02/21/10 8:59 PM
Not to mention, if the filet is flavorless, that's only because he bought a cheap cut of meat. I routinely prepare filets at home, have them while dining out, and other than somewhere like Texas Roadhouse or Outback, have yet to find a filet that is not tasty.

It takes nothing more than salt & pepper to prep a filet, and when cooked properly, a filet is as tasty as any cut.