July Saveur magazine features Hollyhock Hill

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2008/06/09 11:39:44
The July 2008 issue of Saveur magazine's cover story is "Perfect Fried Chicken and other favorites of the American road," and features photographs of the fried chicken and other goodies (like relishes) at Hollyhock Hill in Indianapolis. The article also mentions the Boone Tavern in Berea and the Strongbow Inn in Valparaiso, and includes a few recipes. There are muliple mentions of the Sterns and their books, as well as this website, too.

Incidentally, my husband and I already tried the recipe for Meggyleves (Hungarian chilled sour cherry soup) and it is fantastic.

http://www.saveur.com
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: July Saveur magazine features Hollyhock Hill 2008/06/14 07:23:49
The recipe given for Hollyhock Hill's fried chicken seems awfully plain, just salt and flour. I would have thought they did much more for the famous chicken that they serve at their restaurant.
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: July Saveur magazine features Hollyhock Hill 2008/07/29 19:29:51
This'll sound a bit gross, but I actually have that issue in my bathroom for reading. It's a good issue!
claracamille
Cheeseburger
RE: July Saveur magazine features Hollyhock Hill 2008/08/03 13:26:26
Hollyhock Hill has been our family's go place for celebrations for over 30 years. The chicken is wonderful-crisp skin,piping hot!,not greasy. I love the salad-just icberg lettuce with a great sweet-sour dressing. The salad is served with small whole pickled beets, cottage cheese, and a relish tray. Sides include-buttered corn, green beans cooked the southern way-slow simmered with bacon & onion, real mashed potatoes and gravy, hot rolls & apple butter. We usually have a cake becasue we are celebrating a birthday, anniversary, graduation, engagement, etc. The ususal dessert is small metal dishes of vanilla ice cream with either chocloate, butterscotch or creme de mente toppings.

I hope everyone has a place like Hollyhock Hill to celebrate your family's milestones.
namret
Cheeseburger
RE: July Saveur magazine features Hollyhock Hill 2008/08/06 08:51:49
The key is to start with fresh, tender, delicious chicken, NOT the crap they sell in the supermarket usually. (perdue, etc.)

Then all the rest is easy. Just salt would enhance the flavor even more.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: July Saveur magazine features Hollyhock Hill 2008/08/06 08:58:20
I have only made it to Hollyhock Hill one time so far, but I loved the place. It was a Sunday and everyone was dressed up in their church clothes. And the staff and fellow diners were Hoosier friendly. As good as the chicken was, I particularly enjoyed the creme de menthe sundae for dessert.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: July Saveur magazine features Hollyhock Hill 2008/08/06 09:01:14
I too also only made it to Hollyhock Hill once back in 2000. I thought the fried chicken beat out Gray's Cafeteria and the now defunct but missed Dodd's by a "hair"